Picking up new RL tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Talking Picking up new RL tomorrow!

Well, unless the last step in my process (selling my IS350) somehow falls through, I'll pick up my new '06 Carbon Grey Pearl/Taupe RL tommrow after lunch.

Taking a minor bath on the IS, of course, since I had it only 90 days, but it became obvious it wasn't going to work for me (translation - I effed up getting it). Fortunately, my dealer is pulling out the secret weapon most people don't know about ... basically eating $2500 of tax I'd otherwise have to pay ... so the pain is less than it could have been.

The RL is the non-Tech, which is what I wanted. I wish only that it had the Tech's backup camera, but I guess I can fix that later if I want to.

There will be pix tomorrow if time allows.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious--how did you "effe up" getting it, i.e, what about it don't you like? Although I finally chose the RL, I really liked the IS as well. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Welcome to the dark side.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Hey, welcome to the club!

You indeed made a stunning turnaround.

Don't forget to post a few pix when you get her home!

I've put over 200 miles on mine since I got it home, and am already starting to forget my TL. All it takes is one listen to that 3.5 liter engine at acceleration to get me interested. Definitely not a boring ride....
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro

Congrats, Mike, on your new ride. Unfortunately, for me, I won't be buying an RL soon, as I just become a TL, as opposed to an RL, owner (upon my wife's insistence) in the past 3 weeks.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Mike, you will love your RL. I've got like 820 miles on mine and sometimes just go out for a drive just to enjoy the car. It's that nice.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:51 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Courage
Just curious--how did you "effe up" getting it, i.e, what about it don't you like? Although I finally chose the RL, I really liked the IS as well. Thanks.
Well, I didn't think out my purchase as well as I should have. I bought (well, leased, actually) more on emotion than good sense.

See, my cars have to be able to go to California or Maine or Florida or wherever, because we like to take road trips. And then there's my 81-yr. old mother-in-law who has to be able to get in and out. While the IS is a hoot to drive, it ain't a great highway car (short wheelbase, choppy ride, small back seat space, small trunk), and the mother-in-law needs a shoehorn and a dose of ibuprophen to get her stiff bones into the back seat. Not to mention getting out again.

So, the bottom line is that I screwed up ... and I am having to eat several grand's worth of loss for it. But I'm a big boy and I'll eat it.

But for scooting around town - or around a track - the IS is golden. Huge effortless power, excellent build quality, lots of toys. But I need something more practical.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Welcome to the dark side.
Yes, the Carbon Gray Pearl IS dark.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Congrats on joining the RL club, Mike!

I'll be interested to hear your ongoing evaluation of the RL (especially compared to the IS, and the TL).

Every now and then I eye the IS as a car I didn't really even consider when replacing my Legend. It seemed nicer to sit in than both the ES and the GS (from the driver's seat), but I never test drove one.

Let us know your build date when you get your ride (on the driver's door jamb sticker).

Carbon Grey is a great color choice -- it really highlights the overall shape of the car and provides nice contrast with the chrome trim and silver grille.

Rob144
Old 09-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Cruisin'

Congrats on the RL

I really like the IS350 but it came down to size. The IS350 is pretty and fast but the RL bigger and more comfortable to drive. At least in my opinion.

Robert
Old 09-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Congrats. You won't be sorry. The RL is a great car!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Yes, the Carbon Gray Pearl IS dark.

Yes it is, but it is so rewarding to look at when it's clean. Mine looks absolutely wet, and now with the tints, I'm just in love.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, we have a 24-hour setback. The tint was screwed up, and the dealer is sending it back for a re-do. It will be tomorrow before it can be done and ready for me.

I now have 2 TL's in my garage - mine and a loaner. I would prefer to be exploring the RL instead of another TL (and a non-Nav at that).
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Pics Mike when you can!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Racer

Mike, we sure have been circling each other between Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura boards.
I can't remember why you got rid of your Infiniti M.

In my house, we have the RL and the Infiniti (and an Elise for sport), but I came close to getting the IS. I'll be curious to hear your take on the RL vs. those other 2 cars.
I really still like the Infiniti, and only didn't get one for myself because I didn't want 2 of the same car.

Let me know what you think of the RL! I think you'll like it. It's VERY comfortable, and is more comfy than the Infiniti.
Also, did you ever shop the Lexus ES? That sounds like it would have worked, but maybe too cushy and not sporty enough for you.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:04 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
Mike, we sure have been circling each other between Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura boards.
I can't remember why you got rid of your Infiniti M.

In my house, we have the RL and the Infiniti (and an Elise for sport), but I came close to getting the IS. I'll be curious to hear your take on the RL vs. those other 2 cars.
I really still like the Infiniti, and only didn't get one for myself because I didn't want 2 of the same car.

Let me know what you think of the RL! I think you'll like it. It's VERY comfortable, and is more comfy than the Infiniti.
Also, did you ever shop the Lexus ES? That sounds like it would have worked, but maybe too cushy and not sporty enough for you.
Hey, Scott! Yeah, we're making the rounds, huh?

I DID try an ES350 after I decided the IS wasn't going to work for me. The ES is nice in a straight line, but try to whip it into a curve and it feels like it's going to roll. Seriously. I even think an emergency swerve would have you wetting yourself. LOL.

I'll do my usual report when I've had a little wheel time with the RL. Looks like it will be taking us to California around Thanksgiving ... over 4,000 miles roundtrip. That should be a good shakedown cruise.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! How would you compare the quality of the interiors between the TL, RL and IS?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:50 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by JeffS
Congrats! How would you compare the quality of the interiors between the TL, RL and IS?
Thanks, Jeff. But since I haven't actually taken delivery of the RL yet (later today), it's too soon for me to judge that.

After 4,000 miles of TL ownership, though, I can say I feel the Lexus' interior quality was well above the TL's. The IS's interior was attractive and well laid out (as is the TL's), but the leather and plastics were a good bit better grade than those in the TL. Ditto for the switches and other moving parts. Typical of a Lexus, there were no squeaks, groans or rattles - something I can't really say of the TL. In summary, the Lexus interior just felt richer and more luxurious.

My early impression of the RL's interior quality is that it is very good, but that is of course based on limited wheel time. I have to say I don't think the RL's *design* is as clean as either the IS's or the TL's, but that's largely a matter of taste. If the RL's center stack were as well-integrated into the dash and console as the TL's, I personally think it would be killer. But that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla.

I think it goes without saying interior quality will be a reflection of the price and positioning of the various vehicles, and that would put the TL on the lower rung, the IS in the middle and the RL on top.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good luck, Mike. We seem to be going in opposite directions. I traded my '04 TL for an '05 RL, and my '05 RL for an '06 M45 Sport. I traded again last week and was considering the IS350 but decided to go for another M instead.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the RL. It is a great car. I traded mine primarily for the M's V-8 and because of the first-year bugs that hadn't been worked out by Acura. I was always a big fan of the interior, guages and nav system. You may miss the raw power of the M45 and IS350, but take the RL through a tight turn, mash the pedal and you will forget all about it.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

One of the major complaints on the IS is rattles and poor plastics. Unless you have WOOD, then you get that cheap painted grey plastic that is similar to what was on the G35 03-04 years. Very cheap. The TL is much better quality materials than that. But the TL might have a few rattles here and there that can easily be fixed.

Thanks, Jeff. But since I haven't actually taken delivery of the RL yet (later today), it's too soon for me to judge that.

After 4,000 miles of TL ownership, though, I can say I feel the Lexus' interior quality was well above the TL's. The IS's interior was attractive and well laid out (as is the TL's), but the leather and plastics were a good bit better grade than those in the TL. Ditto for the switches and other moving parts. Typical of a Lexus, there were no squeaks, groans or rattles - something I can't really say of the TL. In summary, the Lexus interior just felt richer and more luxurious.

My early impression of the RL's interior quality is that it is very good, but that is of course based on limited wheel time. I have to say I don't think the RL's *design* is as clean as either the IS's or the TL's, but that's largely a matter of taste. If the RL's center stack were as well-integrated into the dash and console as the TL's, I personally think it would be killer. But that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla.

I think it goes without saying interior quality will be a reflection of the price and positioning of the various vehicles, and that would put the TL on the lower rung, the IS in the middle and the RL on top.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
One of the major complaints on the IS is rattles and poor plastics. Unless you have WOOD, then you get that cheap painted grey plastic that is similar to what was on the G35 03-04 years. Very cheap. The TL is much better quality materials than that. But the TL might have a few rattles here and there that can easily be fixed.
Yes, you get the real carbon fiber or real wood in the TL. Much better.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:10 PM
AcurAdmirer

Well, speaking as a (former) owner of an IS, I can honestly say I don't know about those rattles and cheap or poor plastics. They must have fixed that, since mine had no rattles, and nice high-quality plastics. And, yes, mine had wood on the console ... REAL bird's eye maple!

The TL, OTOH, has a huge collection of plastic, fake carbon fiber and (paper-thin) aluminum trim pieces that vibrate, buzz and rattle against each other. I like my TL, and I'll probably keep it a fairly long time, but I don't fool myself into thinking it is a Lexus.

BTW, the dealer has alread had a shot at 2 rattles in the TL, and failed.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, you get the real carbon fiber or real wood in the TL. Much better.
Read what I said again please:

Unless you have WOOD, then you get that cheap painted grey plastic that is similar to what was on the G35 03-04 years. Very cheap. The TL is much better quality materials than that. But the TL might have a few rattles here and there that can easily be fixed.

And the TL doesn't look cheap like te IS does.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Well, speaking as a (former) owner of an IS, I can honestly say I don't know about those rattles and cheap or poor plastics. They must have fixed that, since mine had no rattles, and nice high-quality plastics. And, yes, mine had wood on the console ... REAL bird's eye maple!

The TL, OTOH, has a huge collection of plastic, fake carbon fiber and (paper-thin) aluminum trim pieces that vibrate, buzz and rattle against each other. I like my TL, and I'll probably keep it a fairly long time, but I don't fool myself into thinking it is a Lexus.

BTW, the dealer has alread had a shot at 2 rattles in the TL, and failed.
Sorry to hear that Mike. I mean we all do know you do complain about every single thing on the cars you own (from experience on freshalloy.com and other sites). You are one picky guy. But you have a right to be.

I know my TL only had the rattle from the doors and it was the glass holders which I removed. It is solid now and quiet. 4k miles later. The platic in the IS is cheaper than the TL. If you didn't have the wood covering it up you would see that. I have pictures proving that somewhere on my HD. Everyone agreed back then and its still the same. I don't consider IS to be Lexus quality. Toyota quality though has gone drastically down compared to where it was a few years ago. And the Avalon and Camry and Es350 show it. (We just went through 2 07 Camrys with blown transmissions. Toyota is buying it back now. 2 cars).
Old 09-27-2006, 05:44 PM
AcurAdmirer

Pimp, you've slammed me a couple of times now for "complaining about everything", and I guess you just don't express yourself the way I do. If I say something that isn't absolutely positive, you apparently think I'm complaining. Well, grow up and get used to it - everything isn't all roses and candy. And if I point out a fault in a car it just might be useful information to someone else, in spite of the fact it gives you heartburn.

Yes, I had some complaints on FreshAlloy - especially about an M45 that I feel was a rip in some ways. As was Infiniti Financial, who IMO are a bunch of idiots. As you may know, since you frequent all the forums, I was dissatisfied enough that I ended up paying Infiniti to give that car back to them.

You have a couple of options - either don't look at my posts, or in some cases you can actually set your preferences to not even show my posts. But don't waste your breath telling me you don't like me. Because I really don't care!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Pro

Read what I said again please:

Unless you have WOOD, then you get that cheap painted grey plastic that is similar to what was on the G35 03-04 years. Very cheap. The TL is much better quality materials than that. But the TL might have a few rattles here and there that can easily be fixed.

And the TL doesn't look cheap like te IS does.
I read what you said and I don't agree. I owned an '04 TL... Anthracite/Quartz. You can search the forums. It was a great, fun car and the styling looked good inside and out. However, the materials didn't even begin to compare to any Lexus. I had the "carbon fiber" trim and it was cheaper plastic than Lexus has ever put in any car.

Don't want to slam the TL. It's just that your statement is untrue.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Safety Car

Mike, nothing against you. Just you have complained about every single car you have owned. And you haven't kept a car a year.

I never said I didn't like you or have a problem with you. Just in a way telling you to just relax a bit and not let everything bother you so much. Btw, I am grown up. Thank you.

Pimp, you've slammed me a couple of times now for "complaining about everything", and I guess you just don't express yourself the way I do. If I say something that isn't absolutely positive, you apparently think I'm complaining. Well, grow up and get used to it - everything isn't all roses and candy. And if I point out a fault in a car it just might be useful information to someone else, in spite of the fact it gives you heartburn.

Yes, I had some complaints on FreshAlloy - especially about an M45 that I feel was a rip in some ways. As was Infiniti Financial, who IMO are a bunch of idiots. As you may know, since you frequent all the forums, I was dissatisfied enough that I ended up paying Infiniti to give that car back to them.

You have a couple of options - either don't look at my posts, or in some cases you can actually set your preferences to not even show my posts. But don't waste your breath telling me you don't like me. Because I really don't care!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Safety Car

Wow, look at all that painted plastic instead of real alum or wood covering it. CHEAP. And that is a FACT. Why has the TL been rated so well for one of the highest quality interiors in its class? lol.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

More pics I took.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

OK guys, play nice, don't make me have to MOD in here while I'm enjoying the goodness of my new RL.

( threat....)
Old 09-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Safety Car

Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Yeah, I start a happy thread about my new RL and it ends up getting hijacked for a Lexus and Mike_TX bash. Sheesh.

NB, did you get a trunk cargo net with your RL? Can't fined mine.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Mike, I find it truly amazing that while the TL came with a cargo net, that this $50k car does not. The first thing I did when I opened the trunk was to look in the spare wheel well for a nicely packed cargo net. When I didn't find it, I asked the salesman where the cargo net was. He said the RL didn't come with one! My groceries are NOT loving this as they slide around the trunk.

Imagine my shock!

So I'm buying one on eBay for $30-ish rather than paying the dealer $79.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on either an A-Spec suspension alone on eBay, or an A-Spec suspension/wheel set from Hondacuraworld--they have the black chrome wheels. Curry Acura on eBay has only the "Platinum" wheels (I guess this is the "chrome look" set). Decisions, decisions, decisions.....
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Mike, I find it truly amazing that while the TL came with a cargo net, that this $50k car does not. The first thing I did when I opened the trunk was to look in the spare wheel well for a nicely packed cargo net. When I didn't find it, I asked the salesman where the cargo net was. He said the RL didn't come with one! My groceries are NOT loving this as they slide around the trunk.

Imagine my shock!

So I'm buying one on eBay for $30-ish rather than paying the dealer $79.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on either an A-Spec suspension alone on eBay, or an A-Spec suspension/wheel set from Hondacuraworld--they have the black chrome wheels. Curry Acura on eBay has only the "Platinum" wheels (I guess this is the "chrome look" set). Decisions, decisions, decisions.....
Tell me it's not true!!! LOL. There are hooks and anchors back there for a net, but they actually make you BUY it? Well, I never.

I can handle the grocery issue, but I carry a small 12v compressor (tire inflator) and a tire plugging kit with me everywhere I go, and I need something to corral that stuff. BTW, I highly recommend everyone get one of these little compressors and a plugging kit and learn how to use them. They've saved my bacon a few times, and I've plugged tires for neighbors twice in the last few years. (Good Samaritan points for me.)

The compressor cost me about 15 bucks and is claimed to have a max pressure of like 250psi ... more than adequate. The plugging kit is about $5 or 6 at Walmart and is a life-saver. They can keep you from being stranded in the boonies for hours waiting for roadside assistance!

(Oh, and if you get new wheels I'm glad to know where I can get some stockers cheap if I bugger one up. )
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Made my own storage cubby for the trunk

I really liked that my Legend had a few cubbies in the trunk for holding small items like squeegies, Nerf balls, flashlights, and such (not to mention being a much larger trunk). The RL probably has empty space on the sides under the "floor" that they could have opened up for cubbies. But I guess that wouldn't work with the trunk liner.

I tried to take the cargo net from my Legend and put it into the RL, but there was nowhere to anchor it. Those little plastic side hooks in the trunk don't hold the loop end of the net.

I bought a few caribiners to clip the net to the cargo hooks in the RL's trunk, but it really isn't working out. The net is too big for the space.

I've read elsewhere that the RL cargo net needs you to poke some holes in the side lining. Let us know how your net installation goes.

Since the trunk is begging for a compartment, I made one. I sewed the hook side of some velcro to an automotive nylon storage pouch that you'll find in WalMart or Target. It sticks right to the fuzzy lining of the trunk. Viola, a storage cubby to get little things off the ground. My cargo net and caribiners sit in there waiting for some application.

Rob144
Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Retired and Loving It

Try using the cargo net from your TLs
Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Here is a pic of our RL trunk.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Retired and Loving It

Here is a pic of our RL trunk.

You didn't get them to throw in the trunk tray?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Try using the cargo net from your TLs
My dealer suggested that when I traded in the TL, but a) I couldn't do that to the next owner, karma is a b**ch and b) I scoped out the attachments in the RL, it looked to me like it wouldn't fit except with real creativity.

Did you keep yours and do you have a pic of your arrangement in the RL? That'd be helpful.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by neuronbob
My dealer suggested that when I traded in the TL, but a) I couldn't do that to the next owner, karma is a b**ch and b) I scoped out the attachments in the RL, it looked to me like it wouldn't fit except with real creativity.

Did you keep yours and do you have a pic of your arrangement in the RL? That'd be helpful.
I have one in my TL but I haven't used it yet. I wonder why Acura didn't throw one in on the RLs? Wouldn't think there'd be a net shortage in Japan. I guess its something we should mention to future RL buyers, make the dealer throw the net in on the deal!

Quick Reply: Picking up new RL tomorrow!