Personalize the RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personalize the RL

Hey,

Does anyone know if you can change where it says "Driver 1" (or Driver 2)when you get in the car - I've looked through the manual for a way to change it to my name, but haven't seen if it's possible.

Also, I know we can personalize all the settings using the menu in the instrument cluster, but is there a way to make the display (ie, avg mpg, the SH-AWD display, tire pressure, etc) show the same thing every time you start the car? (i'd like to have the mpg display every time - it currentlty starts blank until i scroll to it)

Also with the personalization, can the RL be set to be playing the same radio station every time you get in the car?

thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I got in trouble making a joke about the name personalization before, so won't go down that path again!
No way to change Driver1 to your name - unless that has changed with 2009, but I doubt it.
Cannot change the MID to default to last setting. It is what it is.
However, your radio setting should lock to last one used for Driver 1 and Driver 2. Similarly, temp settings will save to last one used for each driver.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Keep in mind Driver 1 and Driver 2 are also synched to the Fobs which are also named Driver 1 and Driver 2. This allows for personalized settings of the RL.

If you could change the MID display, it could be confusing as to which Fob you should have (1 or 2?). You would always have to remember which name aligned to which Fob Driver #.

Someone must be watching "Night Rider".....
Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
I got in trouble making a joke about the name personalization before, so won't go down that path again!
I don't know what everyones problem was, I found it to be pretty funny.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
My MID "blanks" when I restart the car. If I tap the "up arrow", it displays what I had it set to before turning the car off. I kinda like that it's off and clean looking, but a simple tap shows my data (I use "instant mpg" ).
Old 09-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
I would love to reprogram 'Driver 1' and 'Driver 2' on the MID so you can have the name of the person who usually holds the remote. So it would say "Welcome Robert" or "Welcome [Insert Your Name Here]".
Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
I would love to reprogram 'Driver 1' and 'Driver 2' on the MID so you can have the name of the person who usually holds the remote. So it would say "Welcome Robert" or "Welcome [Insert Your Name Here]".
If you told the lady in the Nav that driver one was "Robert" then she could ask you,"Good Morning Robert, how may I help you"? It's nice to have the Onstar operator call you by name when you call.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Keep in mind Driver 1 and Driver 2 are also synched to the Fobs which are also named Driver 1 and Driver 2. This allows for personalized settings of the RL.

If you could change the MID display, it could be confusing as to which Fob you should have (1 or 2?). You would always have to remember which name aligned to which Fob Driver #.

Someone must be watching "Night Rider".....
If you always used Driver One and your name was Robert then you would only have to remember your own name to eliminate any confusion?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by db22
If you always used Driver One and your name was Robert then you would only have to remember your own name to eliminate any confusion?
Indeed, this is true for me, as I also am the only driver of my RL.

But from a design standpoint, the RL personal settings are configured to accomodate multiple setting for 2 drivers. From the design standpoint, this could complicate the user experience when 2 drivers are configured and the driver names and Driver # lables must match.

Perhaps an intermediate step could be made in the Driver Setup... Will there be 1 or 2 Drivers? Then name each driver. This is not a stretch as we already voice lable phones in the HFL.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Indeed, this is true for me, as I also am the only driver of my RL.

But from a design standpoint, the RL personal settings are configured to accomodate multiple setting for 2 drivers. From the design standpoint, this could complicate the user experience when 2 drivers are configured and the driver names and Driver # lables must match.

Perhaps an intermediate step could be made in the Driver Setup... Will there be 1 or 2 Drivers? Then name each driver. This is not a stretch as we already voice lable phones in the HFL.
So Driver 1 is assigned to Adam and Driver 2 is assigned to Eve. Assuming that Adam and Eve always use their own fob then I don't see a problem. The wench in the nav would check for AM or PM, check the clock for morning or evening, check for Driver 1 or 2 and then recall the correct salutation. This is really simple, it's just that the software writers have never driven a car so they never think of the useful stuff.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I agree db22...it should not be that complicated to apply.

My thinking is that with the Fobs labled Driver 1 and Driver 2 not very clearly, perhaps Honda assumes 2 driver households are too likely to grab the wrong fob and be incorrectly greeted by the car?

But I would like it personalized myself. I would prefer "Welcome Master" or perhaps "Welcome Supreme Being" myself.

On a side note...I am reluctant to update my NAVI DVD as I fear if I am trapped with the female only voice, she will criticize my necktie choice for client meetings.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree db22...it should not be that complicated to apply.
On a side note...I am reluctant to update my NAVI DVD as I fear if I am trapped with the female only voice, she will criticize my necktie choice for client meetings.
If the present wench works then don't replace her. If she starts to critisize then she should be replaced with a new disc.