parchment interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
parchment interior

I have a '06 RL and '08 TSX - both with parchment interiors. I recently had the driver seat on my RL redyed (at dealer cost) due to dark colors on seat. I use Lexol cleaner/conditioner semi-monthly religiously. My RL has 52XXX miles. My TSX has 20XXX miles and I am now beginning to see the same discoloration. My wife drives the TSX 85% of the time so I know its not my PHAT a$$ that is causing the problem. I also use Lexol products on the TSX - I can seem to get the discoloration removed. Any ideas or products I should use?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Mine is turning darker at 8k. Let me know if you figure something out.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had mine refinished by my dealer twice, Last time was a real strugle to have them re color it. I wanted a new seat cover but couldn't get it, has to be a widespread problem due to the fragile interior. I have had many other light colored leather interiors and this one seams to show the most wear.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
The uber-product for fine cars and restoration of damage leather is called Leatherique. If you google around, you can find plenty of third-party reviews on this stuff.

http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Other than being a little dirty, the color on mine had pretty much remained the same. Approx. 35,000 miles.

LL
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been using Ziano Bros Leather cleaner and their conditioner for about 7 years. Works Excellent and smells like new leather! Man I love that stuff. The cleaner is a convenient spray that wipes easily and smells awesome!!!

I've only had black/ebony leather in all my vehicles, so I cant say about darkening leather.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the same problem as the rest of you -- dirt and wear/tear show up on the Parchment leather very, very easily. I'm not sure if there's much you can do about it, but dirt gets attracted to the leather like a magnet. It's tough and I want to go easy on cleaning, but you are right, it's a tough color to keep clean.

Like you I use Lexol and I'm sure there are many other good products out there.

Chris
Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
It's the same problem on the Taupe interior. My seat at 36.5 miles is pretty darkly stained even with semi-regular cleaning. I didn't think to have the seat redyed by the dealer. Wish I had now that she's gone. *snif*
Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

The redye job turned out great - even the 'roug' splits in the hide on the bolster were repaired by the tech. Looks great. And, I goofed, my interior is Taupe, not parchment. Bob, enjoy your V. Please take the time afte you get to enjoy to compare to your now-gone RL.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Seems to be an issue with Acura, just plain poor grade leather. Not anyone's wide rear end. I need to have my drivers side redyed also. Anyone have a price range from your experience?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 AM
A man with too many toys!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUMP! I just picked up a used 05 RL with the parchment leather. I am almost certain it was a smoker's car and there is a certain amount of dirt/discoloration on the leather surfaces. I just picked the car up Saturday, so I haven't had the chance to really get into cleaning it, but I wanted to check and see what you guys use. My TL's leather has held up great and still looks really good. For an 05, the previous owner either didn't clean it often, or there is another issue.

When you guys are talking about redyeing the leather, how much are you getting worked on (ie seats, doors, front and back??)? What are you guys paying for that? Dealership work (i assume)?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use the Lexol products for more than 1 year now but i did not see any discoloration on my leather (parchment). I have heard that Lexol are the best product outhere.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Leatherique

They have dye and can custom match any samples sent in. They also have how tos and are supposed to be one of the best for cleaning and restoring leather. I will be using it myself in about 2 weeks or so.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+1

I have used Leatherique with GREAT results! A bit pricy, but well worth the cost.

Here is a review on the wash/wax section:

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/wow-leatherique-really-works-731920/
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
my RL has ebony interior... which I INSISTED on, because our 2007 MDX white/parchment is a PITA to keep clean. the parchment interior (not a sport model, so it's the nonperforated leather) has cracks and gets so dirty so fast. I use the megiaurs leather car in spray on form. if I used it with a brush, I can get the seats OEM clean looking but it's work. I use a soft brush and use ligh pressure to get the dirt out.

we had a tear in our leather too...in a place on the seat where it shouldn't have torn....it was a small rip like a slice... dealer tried to say we did it, but we didn't it was on the pass seat where we less often have a person sitting anywya. they fixed it with that stuff that you rub on and it blends in...like a patch..it is starting to fade a different color and it doesn't look great. nothing i can do about it though, they refused to change the seat cover...

if it ever fully rips I'll have an upholstery shop fix that one section....

for now ours looks pretty good, but i agree, the leather quality, at least in the MDX is not as nice as it could be. I feel the leathe rin the RL is better. it feels softer and thicker.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
Leatherique

They have dye and can custom match any samples sent in. They also have how tos and are supposed to be one of the best for cleaning and restoring leather. I will be using it myself in about 2 weeks or so.
OLD_HATCH or anyone else - any update on the Leatherique? My wife loves the new RL but she think the parchment looks dirty. I need a good cleaner. All I have is Eagle One protectant. Zaino or Leatherique?? Thanks!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Advanced

We had some money left on Amazon.com gift car so just bought the 32 oz. Leatherique kit. It is a big plunge ($) but I have 3 cars to treat. Based on all the positive reviews I can't wait to try it. I just hope we get some warm weather. (I hate the Fall/Winter).
Old 10-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Make sure you take before and after pics.

Oh and just put plastic bags over the seats and use a blowdryer to heat them in the garage.

I think theres a how to somewhere on that. Might not be this forum though.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:33 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
when the tsx first came out-the milano red only had parchment interior-glad I waited. Very happy with the ebony-94,000+miles and it still looks excellent.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Mr. BostonBob, check out this thread i have a copy shots of before/after of the Leatherique product. Also click on the hyperlink on post #29, as that will show a better result of this GREAT product!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My seat (parchment) started developing a permanent stain from the belt of my suit pants always pressing into it when I am driving. There is a clear line straight across the seatback from it. Nowadays I keep a FedEx style Tyvek 9x12 mailing envelop in my car and just slip it in behind me when I drive. Kind of stinks but there's really no other solution other than to take off my belt every time I get it. Same thing happened on my last car. Sure wish I had the dark interior instead. At least in the fall through spring I'm wearing my coat while I'm sitting so it does happen.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 470hpGS400
Seems to be an issue with Acura, just plain poor grade leather. Not anyone's wide rear end. I need to have my drivers side redyed also. Anyone have a price range from your experience?
my sister-in-law, her husband own lexus with light interior which is discolored. My brother's light interior on his volvo is also discolored.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced

I just got my Leatherique in the mail - less than 6 days to deliver.

I just heard it will be 70 degrees here on Saturday, Halloween. I will plan on applying the Rejuvinator Friday night and letting the car set out all day in the (hopefully) sunshine.

Can't wait. I will try to take pics.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

So did you get this done?

Here is a picture of my drivers seat. Seatback is finished while the bottom is not. (done with leatherique)

Old 11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Advanced

I applied the Leatherique this weekend and overall I am very happy. I don't believe it is a miracle product but it is the best cleaner I have found. I could most definitely see the dirt being lifted off the seats during the rinse phase. The rinse bucket went from clear to brown for sure. I will have to wait until tomorrow to get final seal of approval from domestic boss.

BTW - I applied the Rejunenator by hand on Friday night and let it sit until Sunday night - almost 48 hrs. I used the tip of plastic bags to move in and out of garage to suck up the sun! I bought the 32oz kit and based on what I used so far - I will have this for a LONG time. I should have bought the 16oz. kit. I used the step 1 pretty liberally and I barely made a dent in the bottle. Oh well.

Here are before and after pics. I am not sure how they will come out but the leather is definitely lighter and more supple:

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^

Nice job!

Tip: Leatherique pristein clean is a great leather conditioner/cleaner all season long, i use it on a monthy wipe down, seem to keep the seats in tip-top form.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

A good a Leatherique appears to be I am not convinced it will remove dye transfer that I am experiencing on the bolters.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

BostonBob.......

Did you use a leather cleaning brush? I found that simply wiping down with the prestine clean didnt do much on cleaning the seats and only after it was hit with a leather brush (after generously applying the prestine clean) did it really come clean.

I personally used 1/2 the 32oz bottles on my 1st gen RL complete the whole interior. (I was very generous on the application)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
BostonBob.......

Did you use a leather cleaning brush? I found that simply wiping down with the prestine clean didnt do much on cleaning the seats and only after it was hit with a leather brush (after generously applying the prestine clean) did it really come clean.

I personally used 1/2 the 32oz bottles on my 1st gen RL complete the whole interior. (I was very generous on the application)
I actually only used about 1/5 of the step 1 bottle and that included knocking the bottle over and spilling a few oz, on the floor (%$#^!) Anyway - I used my hands and felt like I applied it pretty liberally. I used a leather brush to apply step1 and then applied some more. On the wipe down, I used a spray bottle and used lots of PC with the leather scrub brush that is included in the kit. I definitely saw lots of grime come out but it did not seem to do much to the perforated leather. Your G1 seats have solid leather which appears to clean much easier. The overall results are good - maybe not awesome. My wife said they look cleaner but not "OMG - they look brand new!". I can always repeat the process. Perhaps another generous coat of PC and more scrubbing? Not sure. BTW - anyone using the step 1, might want to put in small bowl so worst case, you only spill that unlike me who almost lost the whole bottle (yikes!) My cat-like reflexes saved me $40 or so when bottle slipped out of my hand.

Incidentally - my MIL just bought '08 Lexus ES350 and the leather seats in her car feel FANTASTIC! I insisted she buy silver with dark grey leather since that will be easier to maintain.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
A good a Leatherique appears to be I am not convinced it will remove dye transfer that I am experiencing on the bolters.
miner, my former TL was parchment and I experienced the same issue you speak of where the ink from my leather belts transferred to the side bolsters of the driver's seat. None of the leather products I tried removed the ink stains.

Then I tried a product a recommended by a pilot on the TL boards. He said it was commonly used in high end executive jet leather interiors. It is called 'Townsend Leather: Ink & Stain Remover'. I found it online and purchased it for less than ten bucks. It comes in a glycerin stick similar to a glue stick. You rub it on the ink and it slowly dissolved / removed the ink from my TL's parchment leather. It takes patience and slow working into the leather but as the glycerin works, you can see the ink dissolving into the product. I used a white cloth to wipe it away and the ink was obvious on the white cloth.

Give it a try and be patient. It may take a few applications. But I used it twice a year afterwards and my TL had no belt ink stains when I traded it for my RL.

Oddly, I am not having the same issue with the RL's taupe leather.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Safety Car

Thanks TampaRL, I will give it a try.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge will remove all the dirt from the leather seats. Works far better and faster than Pristine Clean from Leatherique. I know becuase I tried both methods. Their Rejuvinator Oil will keep the leather soft, but for cleaning dirt, the Mr. Clean sponge just works better. Just be sure to wipe the moisture off seat with a rag or paper towel as you go along. Dont oversaturate the sponge with water, but the sponge has to be damp to work.

Note: even the Mr. Clean sponge wont remove dye transfer. I am going to try the 'Townsend Leather: Ink & Stain Remover' for that. Thanks TampaRL for the suggestion.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Safety Car

Yes, I tried Mr Clean with no success on the ink transfer.