An Open Letter to Acura - The 2009 RL

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Why they didn't wait till the 2010, WITHOUT restyling, with an ALL new one RL??
Now we have to wait 2 LONG, boring, years for seeing the new one, if there will be another RL in the future at all... what's a pity.

Why for a LONG one year we didnt' get NO informations, hints, news, no nothing!! about the future of the Acura range, and now in 2 WEEKS we got one on another 2 models, RL and TSX???

Why, when ALL brand on the world grow in power and torque with new gen. models, only Acura get the TSX with 201 hp vs 205 of the current generation? For better performance???

Why we don't get 6speed AT at least???

Where is the fantastic A-Vtec that Acura announced in 2006???
Old 02-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great letter. I too am disappointed in the front grille, especially its positioning...It would look a lot better as the first photoshopped pic that is on page 1.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
10th Gear

No 2009 RL for Me!

I am so disappointed with the car designers at Acura. The Acura dealership I bought my RL from is smack next to BMW & Lambo dealerships. Looking at the BMW 5 series cocmpared to what Acura thinks is a comparable RL and it is disgusting! I'm not crazy about the BMW styling but at least it is a performance oriented car with a dose of luxury amentities . I've been holding off buying a new car until Acura shows us what they plan to do with the RL. Now that I've seen it, I'm afraid it's goodbye Acura!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Its MY Car & I Love It!!!

Wow. I didnt think Acura would go this far with changing the design of the RL and TSX(both were very sleek and subtle designs, they stood out from the rest but wasnt over the top). But then again, look at the ugly accord. I own an 08 TL myself and I almost regret i bought it without seeing what the 09 had to offer. But due to Acura's track record with the TSX and RL, I'm glad I bought when the car was still sexy...lol. I see dark days ahead for the TL. But who knows, maybe Acura was mainly focused on that model and pushed all the other models to the back burner...we'll just have to see.

Another thing, Acura should've at least give us a sneak peek at the new models a year or two ago at a couple of auto shows. Its like..ok...now they show us. Right when they make the final decision to put it in production...great...thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
6th Gear

Ugly, Ugly, Ugly

I was about to cry when I saw the 2009 RL. It is the biggest disappointment I have ever seen. The competition has nothing to worry about because acura won't sell one of these.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I saw the 2009 RL in person in the streets of downtown San Francisco earlier this week. The car didn't look that bad in person. In fact, it looked kinda badass. I especially liked the back of the car, which resembles the current S-class Mercedes. I have no intentions of trading in my 2005 for the 2009, but the new model does not look as bad as I thought it would.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I saw the 2009 RL in person in the streets of downtown San Francisco earlier this week. The car didn't look that bad in person. In fact, it looked kinda badass. I especially liked the back of the car, which resembles the current S-class Mercedes. I have no intentions of trading in my 2005 for the 2009, but the new model does not look as bad as I thought it would.

Sounds like rationalizations to me i.e. Acura's Battered Wife Syndrome?

I'm just kidding. But seriously, I think your gut instinct will tell you whether you like the car or not as opposed to trying to see it and liking it (rationalizing) IMO.

You should visit the TSX forum, our 2009 TSX poll has most of our members disliking it. Its horrible.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your gut instinct will tell you whether you like the car or not as opposed to trying to see it and liking it (rationalizing) IMO.

You should visit the TSX forum, our 2009 TSX poll has most of our members disliking it. Its horrible.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this has anything to do with rationalizing. Everyone has formed an opinion (mostly negative) based upon pictures of the RL. I want to see it for myself before I write it off as ugly. I didn't like the initial pictures that I saw either, but we all know that cars look differently in person compared to pictures. A car rarely looks the same in person because the eyes can pick up angles and color hues that pictures don't do justice to. I think it's way too early to write this one off before we've seen the real thing, but to each his own.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Honestly, I hate the current S class..
Hopefully the new redesign looks good though. Because if not, I'm going to get a 2nd Gen.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
CGP Ebony

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 4bearhug
[
I don't think this has anything to do with rationalizing. Everyone has formed an opinion (mostly negative) based upon pictures of the RL. I want to see it for myself before I write it off as ugly. I didn't like the initial pictures that I saw either, but we all know that cars look differently in person compared to pictures. A car rarely looks the same in person because the eyes can pick up angles and color hues that pictures don't do justice to. I think it's way too early to write this one off before we've seen the real thing, but to each his own.
We can agree then that the 09 RL (and the 09 TSX) is NOT photogenic.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by xenonhid
09 TSX >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 09 RL
Old 03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xenonhid

The TSX 09 looks very nice IMO, and the grille is well integrated. Lighter colors>>dark ones.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 PM
CGP Ebony

^^ At least with the 09 RL you guys went up in HP and Torque. The TSX went DOWN in horse power and the slight increase in torque will be negated by the increased weight.

LOGIC = thrown out the window?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
09 TSX >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 09 RL
Agree X 10^25
Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 AM
CGP Ebony

09 TSX looks like a SATURN for pete sake

I'm happy that my 05 TSX will look better than the new one but at the same time I'm sad because its depressing to see my car company go down the drain.

Sorry to take thread off RL topic guys. I guess we all share the pain though.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Think SATURN

Originally Posted by cai06
The TSX 09 looks very nice IMO, and the grille is well integrated. Lighter colors>>dark ones.

Look a lot like a Saturn to me.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced

When is the 4th Gen

Forget 3rd gen, when is the 4th Generation of RL?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pan0k
Look a lot like a Saturn to me.
Looks a lot like the current TSX to me

How can people say they made it ugly? They hardly changed anything.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I can sum up Acura's new styling in one word:
Edsel.

To bad...
instead of keeping me wedded to the brand and engineering, I am already checking out BMW MB and Lexus.
Acura... have you lost your mind?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Has anyone considered downgrading to Honda (Accord)? Honda seems to be hitting on all cylinders in design lately other than that WTF? design of the new Pilot. It's almost as if their best designers are designing the downmarket cars rather than the luxury cars.

I, myself, wouldn't downgrade but I throw the question out there for discussion.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Has anyone considered downgrading to Honda (Accord)? Honda seems to be hitting on all cylinders in design lately other than that WTF? design of the new Pilot. It's almost as if their best designers are designing the downmarket cars rather than the luxury cars.

I, myself, wouldn't downgrade but I throw the question out there for discussion.
Nope. I am 2 to 3 years (tops) away from trading in. Hopefully there will be a new car on the market that is techno-loaded, decent on gas mileage, with gobs of low end torque. Realistic price tag also.

No disrespect for the Honda products, but I want more in a vehicle than just getting from point A to B.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,396 Likes on 701 Posts
Lightbulb 2010

Originally Posted by Pan0k
Forget 3rd gen, when is the 4th Generation of RL?
Rumor mill says that it will a be 2010 model so probably sometime next year. There is a separate thread on this forum if you want to read up on the latest rumors {400+hp v8, RWD or RWD-biased-SHAWD, full size .... } .
Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX69
Rumor mill says that it will a be 2010 model so probably sometime next year. There is a separate thread on this forum if you want to read up on the latest rumors {400+hp v8, RWD or RWD-biased-SHAWD, full size .... } .
There is another 'rumor' regarding the next TL and a 350HP SHAWD TL Type-S

http://jalopnik.com/365647/2009-acur...w-tl-tl-type+s
Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,396 Likes on 701 Posts
Cool Rl, Tl & Tsx

It makes sense for the 300hp TL to debut this summer & then in the fall, the Type S 350hp version debuts alongside the 400hp full size RL.

The problem I see w/ this scenario is that it leaves the TSX as the entry level sedan that will have to fill the TL's shoes - which is a tall order. w/ only a 4 cylinder engine, I do not see it happening & even w/ a rumored turbo-diesel 4 cylinder on the way, can it really take the place of a 6 cylinder ... ?

Granted, Acura is always out in left field so who knows what these rumors will amount to.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
old school

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Double-bump to get this thread back on topic, and to log my original email to Acura in the appropriate thread.

I sent them the email below immediately after they unveiled the '09 RL, and after digesting it for a couple of months and reconsidering my car upgrade choices, everything I said back then still holds true. At this point, I think I'll add an after-market iPod solution to my TL and sit on it for a couple of years, until either Hyundai adds AWD to the Genesis or Acura scraps these horrible, hideous grilles from their new models. It just frustrates me that the '09 RL (and most likely the TL, if the rumors hold true) is everything I want my next car to be, except that it's ugly as sin with that new "super double power plenum proboscis" monstrosity slapped onto it. I thought maybe it wouldn't look as bad on the TL, as long as the top of it lines up with the tops of the headlights, unlike on the RL where it was obviously an afterthought. After seeing the new TSX, though, my first instinct is still to slap an after-market grille on it - but dammit, we shouldn't have to do that on a $35k, $40k or $50k car!! This is not a used Integra being bought by some teenager who's going to mod the heck out of it. Ugh... obviously, this still frustrates me to no end!

Here's the email I sent:

--
Dear Sirs

Until now I had been considering buying a 2009 RL, assuming it added full USB iPod integration to the audio system, because that was the one thing I felt was truly lacking from the '05 - '08 model. I was very pleased to hear that this feature did in fact make it into the 2009 refresh. Then, unfortunately, I saw the pictures and video of the new exterior - particularly the new asymmetrical, gap-toothed grille.

If this is truly the new Acura corporate grille, and if it is also included in the new TL and TSX full-model changes, then I honestly believe that I will not be the only person leaving Acura for good - or at least until they come to their senses - when I trade in my 2004 TL for a new Hyundai Genesis. Its styling may be a bit derivative of several other top luxury cars, but at least it was derived from things that actually looked good.

If you gentlemen continue in this direction, I suggest you have your design team share some of the crack they were smoking when they came up with this bastardization of a perfectly good-looking luxury car, because you will most definitely be needing it at the next quarterly sales meeting.

Sincerely,

xxx x xxx
Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

I am still at the crack comment. I still have hope that Acura is considering its options.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 PM
CGP Ebony

Talking

Originally Posted by elessar

If you gentlemen continue in this direction, I suggest you have your design team share some of the crack they were smoking when they came up with this bastardization of a perfectly good-looking luxury car, because you will most definitely be needing it at the next quarterly sales meeting.

Sincerely,

xxx x xxx

at the "bastardization" part!.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by elessar

--
Dear Sirs

Until now I had been considering buying a 2009 RL, assuming it added full USB iPod integration to the audio system, because that was the one thing I felt was truly lacking from the '05 - '08 model. I was very pleased to hear that this feature did in fact make it into the 2009 refresh. Then, unfortunately, I saw the pictures and video of the new exterior - particularly the new asymmetrical, gap-toothed grille.

If this is truly the new Acura corporate grille, and if it is also included in the new TL and TSX full-model changes, then I honestly believe that I will not be the only person leaving Acura for good - or at least until they come to their senses - when I trade in my 2004 TL for a new Hyundai Genesis. Its styling may be a bit derivative of several other top luxury cars, but at least it was derived from things that actually looked good.

Sincerely,

xxx x xxx
HA! Thanks for rupturing my spleen! I haven't laughed this hard in awhile...

That, and your avatar gave me some good laughs as well, thanks!

Sadly, I think the exterior desire of the entire Honda/Acura line, with the exception of the Civic, is going to heck in a heckbasket. I can't stand the new Accord, either, although some apparently like it.

The sad part is that the competition is really uping the game in styling. I especially like the M and G from Infiniti...gorgeous looking cars (Don't like their SUV's as much). I plan to keep my RL for a few years, but if Acura/Honda keeps their styling this poor, I will likely bolt for Lexus or Infiniti, especially if the latter keeps improving their reliability.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Very well written.

I also feel exactly the same way.