Nothing But Problems w 05 RL

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing But Problems w 05 RL

Hi,

I love, love my 05 RL, but every since I've had her, since 2/09, I've had some type of problem with the car. Purchased her from Hendrix Acura in NC as a certified vehicle. Only 1 owner prior to me and got all the service records.

Last July the AC went out and we've replaced everything except the CCM. Still not working. Had to replace the bulbs in the glove compartment, console, heated seats, etc. Also, had problems with headlights not moving from side-to-side.

Every now & then I'll hear a buzzing even when the radio isn't on. Anyone else having these kinds of problems? If so, what did you do to fix them, especially the darn air conditioning?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
how many miles?
I think there was a TSB on the AC compressor and its no surprise those lights went out.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Advanced

oh wow. same here. my glove compartment light isnt working and the heat seated high button. my dealer told me its not cover i also had the headlight problem. it was the AFS sensor it was covered. if you have warranty, bring it back asap. what you mean a buzzing noise?

Originally Posted by adamseve
Hi,

I love, love my 05 RL, but every since I've had her, since 2/09, I've had some type of problem with the car. Purchased her from Hendrix Acura in NC as a certified vehicle. Only 1 owner prior to me and got all the service records.

Last July the AC went out and we've replaced everything except the CCM. Still not working. Had to replace the bulbs in the glove compartment, console, heated seats, etc. Also, had problems with headlights not moving from side-to-side.

Every now & then I'll hear a buzzing even when the radio isn't on. Anyone else having these kinds of problems? If so, what did you do to fix them, especially the darn air conditioning?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
160,000 miles on 2005

NO problems from new 25miles on it when i bought it. any car can have a bad one but it does not reflect on most. also i baby my RL it runs like the day i drove it off the dealers lot... sorry about your lemon i have a gem!!
The following users liked this post:
Johnny2003TL-S (02-11-2022)
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
I have had a lot of issues with my CPO 05, all under warranty. Bought with 43k in Spring 08, now have 71k

Passenger headlight flickering
Both side mirrors (loose)
Drive shaft bearing
Seat heater switch bulb
AFS unit and stroke sensor
Torque converter.
I also now have something knocking either in the suspension or steering, which I will take back in to the dealer to be fixed.

For a Honda (or any car for that matter,) worst I've ever owned in the past 25 years. Love the car, but the repairs are hard to believe. Luckily, I still have over a year left on the extended warranty and my dealer is fantastic!

By comparison, I have on 04 Toyota Sequoia that I bought new and it has never seen the inside of a repair shop other than a ball joint recall, best I've ever owned.
The following users liked this post:
2f2f (07-13-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I've got my 05 in for repairs again now, and the recent brake recall. Second speed sensor replacement in less than two years. I bought the car CPO in 2009. It's got roughly 72K on it now. I love the car, fear the repair bills! I'm off warranty now, so this is the first repair I'll pay on my own. I have the occasional AFS sensor trip itself, but a restart clears that out.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
10th Gear

My baby has 104k miles on her..Bought her CPO with 46k in '09...drive for my job, but every car I've ever had has had lots of miles. 1st car however that I've had that's had so many problems other than when my '97 740i BMW hit 100k miles lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by aznxb1az3
oh wow. same here. my glove compartment light isnt working and the heat seated high button. my dealer told me its not cover i also had the headlight problem. it was the AFS sensor it was covered. if you have warranty, bring it back asap. what you mean a buzzing noise?
I think the buzzing sound is a power surge. Not sure, but that's what we're thinking.

Heading back to the shop this week to try to get the air fixed. Can't go another summer without it. It's got all new parts so I'm hoping ANOTHER compressor will do the trick.

I hate fixing the little things, but I can deal with that...It's this darn AC that's kicking my butt now
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Notice that all of these cars are 2005 models, the first year of the new generation. Just like any revamp, there are going to be problems that no one can simulate or foresee during design and production. It sucks, but that '04 Sequoia mentioned earlier was the fourth model year for that car ('01 was first). This does not reflect on the quality of the maker or the products they produce, but rather it reflects on the nature of a new product that's failure rate can only be simulated.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Make sure they flush the system, if there is any metal in the lines that compressor wont make it home.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Wink

Wow...such a shame to read these issue with the beloved japan made Acura RL...I'm so glad I got my 2004 RL when they were giving them away. Since that day, I not had ONE issue with mine. She turns 7 years old next month and I've yet to bring it in to the dealership. You can view here at: https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/finally-fabvsixs-2004-rl-816784/
Not sure that ALL first year vehicles are a risk. I bought my 2007 MDX Sport and again have had no issues other than a few cosmetic parts replaced under warranty....My 04 RL is a 8 year production run model (bullet proof), top rating on Consumer Reports as "best year model" and it does the job WELL........
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
AC/Console bulbs can be changed out by DIY.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=bulb

The front seat heater lights are the same bulb but with an amber cover over it. You just need to remove the plate around the gear shift to access them.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Of course not every single vehicle of the first model year is going to have problems. The same way not every "bulletproof" '04 RL has never been to the dealer for repairs. All years will have their successes and their failures, but an initial production ramp will almost always have more. Defects will always be a part of production, but quality control doesn't know as many potential problems to look for at the beginning of a production ramp like they do after a few customer complaints and diagnoses.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
the "bullet proof" epression was said me many times calling several dealerships about bringing her in for service. Mr. X that car is bullet proof and you don't need to have it serviced with just 23,xxx.xx miles.....consumer report quoted "bullet proof" as well......and just the same was quoted for the 2007 Acura MDX by Motor Trend and the like....."they made this one too good"....... the criticisim from the public and auto mags' was not that great with the 2005 + RL ....."too much like an Accord on steroids".....no v8 blah blah blah....but I know the RL is one good vehicle...not all are perfect..... I just hope they bring out something "HOT" or just can it.......the TL SHAWD 6 Speed in one nice ride though....
Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Agreed. I wasn't mocking your expression but rather, quoting it. Some designs are better than others, and some production runs yield better than others. However, I would put my money on a new production having more problems than a well oiled one any day. The model year of these cars with problems just seemed too exclusive to be coincidental.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Cruisin'

ugh....same problems here....I have had so much replaced:
AFS, Drive shaft, both headlights, all console bulbs, front tires (yes they were pulling from day one when I got the car, they say it was because of a "jumped belt," both front brake calipers were replaced because of a noise, both mirrors replaced...I am sure there is more but now I have a problem. I brought the car in for an issue of when I take my foot off the gas the RPM's drop all the way to zero and bounce off the rev limiter and then crawl up close to 1k. I bring it to the dealer (under warranty!) and they look at me like I have two heads. Hate them all and I am done with Acura. I have owned Honda since age 16 and never had problems (89' civic, 00' integra, '03 s2000, '05 civic, and now the worst Honda EVER '05 rl) Moving on I suppose, when the thing explodes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
sucks to hear all this negative issues coming from all of you... but i have an 06 RL and so far knocking on wood things are still functioning... I hope it stays that way... and i have done a lot of Modding... well not really alot but some type of mod's on my car... and it still runs greeat...

i hope things get better for all of you...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Love my Ac too but i've had:
Both head lights flicker off randomly(could never duplicate to the dealer, sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't)
A/C went out
bulb in heated seat button out
navigation randomly restarting while driving
bluetooth getting stuck in some crazy mode and i have to hold the back button to get the music to play again
side mirrors never reposition themselves after taking the car out of reverse(i dont even use this feature anymore because its soooo annoying when it doesnt do back)
Subwoofer blow
speakers blew
driver door handle on the inside broke off(crazy glued it back on)
strip on the windshield coming out
"not an ashtray" doesn't close
vinyl on the armrest is cheap and cracks too easy
car not starting up when I crank it
radio freezing up and not playing at all and I have to turn it off for a few minutes to get it to act right
thats all i can think of for now, some problems were fixed by the dealer but not many. I love the car but some issues were just annoying. Some stuff I havent even fixed like the side mirrors thing. I dont even know what to do but I dont even care to take it to the dealer. I'm just going to sell the car and let someone else deal with it. The headlights flickering is the biggest annoyance. When it starts acting up, I literally just park the car and stay in or drive with someone else. The A/C problem sucked balls in the summer time especially when I got a girl in the car because they look like how the hell do you have such a nice expensive car and the A/C doesn't work.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
8th Gear

Should I buy?

I just posted this question in another thread, but would love all the tips and advice I can get:

I am looking into buying a 2005 RL with about 60k next week. It seems to be in perfect shape on paper: no accidents, one owner, clean carfax - and it is loaded with alot of the great options including the wooden steering wheel/shift knob. However, I am trying to do my research before taking the dive and it seems that I may inherit quite a few problems. I am already far over-reaching my spending ability due to help from my parents. Furthermore, as a medican student, my loans far outreach my income ( which is 0 ). Is going for this RL a smart move, or am I looking at having a semi-functional car with alot of expensive problems? I've looked through the forums at some of the problems and am looking for some tips and advice on what to do...

Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by vyaspaulas
I just posted this question in another thread, but would love all the tips and advice I can get:

I am looking into buying a 2005 RL with about 60k next week. It seems to be in perfect shape on paper: no accidents, one owner, clean carfax - and it is loaded with alot of the great options including the wooden steering wheel/shift knob. However, I am trying to do my research before taking the dive and it seems that I may inherit quite a few problems. I am already far over-reaching my spending ability due to help from my parents. Furthermore, as a medican student, my loans far outreach my income ( which is 0 ). Is going for this RL a smart move, or am I looking at having a semi-functional car with alot of expensive problems? I've looked through the forums at some of the problems and am looking for some tips and advice on what to do...

Thanks for the help!!
Sounds like you have already answered your own question...don't do it unless you like to gamble, and are willing to pay your debts.

Anecdotally on this forum, the 2005 does seem to be more problematic than other years. If you want statistics, try Consumer Reports and you will see the same thing. The RL, like most luxury cars is not cheap to keep. Maintenance and repairs are expensive. All wheel drive has inherently more to go wrong with it, not that it will, but there are more things that CAN go wrong with it.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chas2
Sounds like you have already answered your own question...don't do it unless you like to gamble, and are willing to pay your debts.

Anecdotally on this forum, the 2005 does seem to be more problematic than other years. If you want statistics, try Consumer Reports and you will see the same thing. The RL, like most luxury cars is not cheap to keep. Maintenance and repairs are expensive. All wheel drive has inherently more to go wrong with it, not that it will, but there are more things that CAN go wrong with it.
I appreciate the advice! You are right; I feel like the research I have done throughout the forum has led me to believe that risks of buying the car may take precedence over the reward. However, I was hoping to hear that there are for more cases of non-problematic RL's than problematics, and that maybe by 60k miles and this much time, any problems would have surfaced. As of now, I am considering foregoing the RL for maybe the 04 TL in hopes of something much cheaper with better reliability.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

You can't find an '06 or '07 with 110,000 mi that has a new timing belt for a cheap price? I bought Legend #1 with 114,000 an it ran great for 70,000 mi with no major problems. I had to change the shocks and struts, but then you will get to lower it! Best $7,500 I ever spent.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nore03
Love my Ac too but i've had:
Both head lights flicker off randomly(could never duplicate to the dealer, sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't)
A/C went out
bulb in heated seat button out
navigation randomly restarting while driving
bluetooth getting stuck in some crazy mode and i have to hold the back button to get the music to play again
side mirrors never reposition themselves after taking the car out of reverse(i dont even use this feature anymore because its soooo annoying when it doesnt do back)
Subwoofer blow
speakers blew
driver door handle on the inside broke off(crazy glued it back on)
strip on the windshield coming out
"not an ashtray" doesn't close
vinyl on the armrest is cheap and cracks too easy
car not starting up when I crank it
radio freezing up and not playing at all and I have to turn it off for a few minutes to get it to act right
thats all i can think of for now, some problems were fixed by the dealer but not many. I love the car but some issues were just annoying. Some stuff I havent even fixed like the side mirrors thing. I dont even know what to do but I dont even care to take it to the dealer. I'm just going to sell the car and let someone else deal with it. The headlights flickering is the biggest annoyance. When it starts acting up, I literally just park the car and stay in or drive with someone else. The A/C problem sucked balls in the summer time especially when I got a girl in the car because they look like how the hell do you have such a nice expensive car and the A/C doesn't work.
WOW...I've had problems with the Bluetooth as well. It'll get stuck for no apparent reason and won't dial out or receive calls.

My leather on the driver side door is also puckering. Noticed that it's also started on my armrest.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by vyaspaulas

Thanks for the help!!
I wouldnt. I bought one fresh off a 3 year lease and it was the most troublesome car I ever owned. Drive shaft bearing, AC compressor clutch, Loose mirrors, Noisy transmission at 35 MPH, Flickering HID's, AFS unit replaced, Check TPMS system light, burnt out dash bulbs, and non functioning passenger seat recliner button to name a few. I owned it for almost 2 years and there wasnt one day that everything worked correctly.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs down nothing but problems as well

Hi, I just thought I'd chime in as well and give my 2 cents.

I purchased my 2005 RL with 65,000 miles, November 2010 and started having problems 4 months after. AC went, stupid headlight flickering and turning off, AFS light on, noisy transmission at 35-40 MPH, but it sounds like the ECU isn't shifting the trans correctly. WTF?!? So very turned off by Acura.

As far as the AC, i am running out of options.

I changed the compressor for a brand new one (Only $450 on ebay) and i think i killed it cause i did not change the condenser that has the stupid drier attached to it.

So i now bought a new condenser/dryer (aftermarket $165), put that on, blew air thru most of the lines and blew air thru the evaporator. I will charge the AC system tomororw and hope for the best.

The compressor is turning on, but didnt seem to pump.

I will never buy the first model of the first introductory year of a car again.

This is the second car that I bought the first model of and nothing but problems.

I purchased brand new, a 2000 BMW 328Ci and nothing but chest pains. BUYER BEWARE!!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

You cannot just add A/C parts to a system that has failed and potentially has metal in it... My 05 has 100k on it and the A/C was serviced at an authorized dealer and I've had no issues.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

BMWs are notorious for reliability issues as are new production lines. You got the double shit end of a stick there. You can blame Acura all you want, but Honda built this car. Plus, it has received nothing but glorifying reliability reviews. Sounds like it wasnt inspected very thoroughly before it was bought. You should only be turning yourself off.