Non Local Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Local Dealer

I may be in a situation where I have to buy my new RL from a dealer that is not in my immediate local area. This is due to lack of available inventory with the exact colors & options I want.

I have no problem buying from a dealer out of my immediate area but I do have some concerns about possible future service hassles. If I have to go with this other dealer it would my plan to get ALL service done at my local dealer. Minor stuff, major stuff, routine stuff, initial service, everything. It would be my plan that when I drive the car off of this other dealer's lot it would NEVER be back there again for anything. Is that realistic or am I looking forward to future hassles?

Peter
Old 02-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Racer

The local dealer should be glad to perform your service, but I know some local (not Acura) dealers that do not like to perform service if you didn't buy your car from them.

I don't have an Acura dealer in my immediate area. The nearest is in Memphis, 120 miles away. I bought my first 2 Acuras in Nashville, about 165 miles away, and this is where I had any required service done. I bought my RL in Jackson, MS this past weekend, and like you, will probably not be back there for service because of the distance.

For their own good, dealers should treat all owners with respect. If a person is treated good he might buy his next car from that dealer. If not, he definitely won't.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PMokover
I may be in a situation where I have to buy my new RL from a dealer that is not in my immediate local area. This is due to lack of available inventory with the exact colors & options I want.
Just for clarification, all of the "dealers" I referred to in my original message are Acura dealers.

Peter
Old 02-17-2005, 08:37 AM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Some dealers will provide loaners only if you bought the car from them.

I don't see why you can't order your car from the local dealer and have them pick it up from another dealer's lot. They do this frequently.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Money wise...

Buying the car and servicing the car could be two different stories.

I guess that local dealer might hate you because you don't buy the vehicle from them, especially when they identify you're one of shoppers who walked away weeks ago. But, for $$ issue, they still could earn a lot from servicing your car. They don't have to refuse you.

You should be fine. If they're wise, they will try hard to earn you back and buy the next vehicle here.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I agree with RETS!

Also if the dealer doesn't want to provide a service loaner car simply because you didn't but it from, then you may want to seriously consider allowing another dealer to earn your business. Also I was told that the car loaner program is an Acura incentive now, not a dealer provided option. Supposedly Acura is stepping up the service game to be more competitive.
I know that you dont have 4 dealers near you like I do but they should also treat you like an Acura customer no matter where you choose to service your car.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8-)
I don't see why you can't order your car from the local dealer and have them pick it up from another dealer's lot. They do this frequently.
There's only one dealer in my region that has one in stock and they're not willing to give it up to my local dealer.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rets
I guess that local dealer might hate you because you don't buy the vehicle from them, especially when they identify you're one of shoppers who walked away weeks ago.
That's one of my concerns but the only reason I "walked away weeks ago" is because they couldn't come up with the car I wanted. I'm trying to buy from them but they can't get what I want.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro

Is it that they can't get the car or not willing to negotiate the deal you want if they go get the car you want? Negotiate via email to the internet sales manager and remove your face from the deal? Also just use an alias name until you get ready to go in and close the deal. This way they don't realize that it is or is not you.
Not to offend you, but you appear to be a little exuberant to buy from them. They could be sensing that and going for the slam dunk on you.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8-)
Some dealers will provide loaners only if you bought the car from them.

Exactly. The dealer I bought from didn't have the color combo I wanted. I signed a contract with a refundable deposit, on a Saturday, calling for the desired vehicle to be presented within 2 weeks. They called another local dealer that had the right combo and I had my car Monday night. Dealers swap cars all the time.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Is it that they can't get the car or not willing to negotiate the deal you want if they go get the car you want?
My local Acura dealer - who I would prefer to buy from because it's easier to get there for service visits - is not able to get the car for me now. They do not have what I want in stock and so far they can not find any other dealer in the region that has one and is willing to give it to them. I have already negotiated a deal with my local dealer to buy the car, they just can't come up with the car right now.

The other Acura dealer I referred to is not in my immediate area - making service visits more of a hassle - but they do have what I'm looking for in stock.

So my options are to wait an estimated 2-3 weeks for my local dealer to get one in stock (I'd rather not wait) or to buy now from the other dealer which I am willing to do providing my local dealer will not give me a hard time when I bring the car to them for service.

The issue is not "the deal." The issue is whether my local dealer will give me a hard time with service if I buy the car somewhere else. That was my original question.

Peter
Old 02-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Racer

PMokover,

For what it's worth you could try talking with your local dealership's service manager about servicing your car with them, and be open about the circumstances that are forcing you to look elsewhere.

Let's face it, the reason you are not getting the car from them is purely because they cannot get you what you want in the timeframe that you need it...hardly a reason for any hard feelings on their part.

Be nice to them and maybe they'll be nice back

Pete
Old 02-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by petemc
PMokover,

For what it's worth you could try talking with your local dealership's service manager about servicing your car with them, and be open about the circumstances that are forcing you to look elsewhere.

Let's face it, the reason you are not getting the car from them is purely because they cannot get you what you want in the timeframe that you need it...hardly a reason for any hard feelings on their part.

Be nice to them and maybe they'll be nice back

Pete
Petemc,

Exactly! They should only be more than happy to gain your business for the service and any future services. Better hurry before the price increases by $200