Newly Installed TPMS Sensors Detection ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Newly Installed TPMS Sensors Detection ?

Hi people ! I hope you are all enjoying your weekend. I have an RL with after market wheels. I just installed the Acura TPMS sensors and I'm wondering how long will it take for the computer to detect the sensors and stop displaying an error message on my MID screen. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also I found out I have the Technology package with PAX.

Last edited by AWP34; 01-16-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you went from PAX wheels to non-PAX aftermarket wheels your MID warning is NOT caused by the TPMS sensors.

Aftermarket (correct type) TPMS sensors are usually detected immediately, no need to wait for hours or days.

Search on this forum for de-PAXing RL.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
I had a sensor replaced after a tire shop broke one removing the tire from the wheel. Initially, I got a reading of like 80, but after 45 seconds it reset to the proper level. While mine reset automatically, there is a procedure for resetting it by driving a certain speed for a certain period (something like 25mph for a minute), any Acura dealer should be able to look it up for you.

If you are getting an error message as opposed to a false reading, sounds like it may not be connected properly.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by AWP34
Hi people ! I hope you are all enjoying your weekend. I have an RL with after market wheels. I just installed the Acura TPMS sensors and I'm wondering how long will it take for the computer to detect the sensors and stop displaying an error message on my MID screen. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also I found out I have the Technology package with PAX.
They should connect and stabilize within a mile of driving, so obviously something is not right if they are not reading as the PAX wheels were.

What exactly is happening on the MID?
What part number TPMS did you get?

There are allegedly at least six different types of Honda/Acura TPMS sensors installed over all the Honda and Acura models, so it is possible you have a wrong part number.

Experiment...

Change out a pair with the PAX tires with the TPMS that you know work, and see what happens. You should not have to drive very far, in fact, if you idle, you should get readings within about 5 minutes.

Don't drive with just one PAX tire on. If you don't want to change two tires, any changes should be done to the rears. The wheel weights are so different, you could get some strange handling.

If you change the fronts only, it should be an interesting experiment in steering and acceleration differences between PAX and your new wheels.

What wheels and tires did you get, by the way?

This is a wonderful car, so I am sorry you have encountered difficulties so early in your ownership...but congratulations anyway, and enjoy the car.

PS How many miles on your PAX and how much treadlife is left?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Another thing to think about - some types of aftermarket wheels have been known to block the TPMS signals. Not sure if it's the wheels or the sensors in this case but it's one possibility.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
^^^ Indeed.

The most likely issue, if it does not reset, is that the TPMS was damaged with the wheel swap. Although there have been little issues reported with them failing, my neighbor, a Ford Tech, sent me an excerpt from a Ford TSB to outline the potential issues with TPMS. He had a new Taurus with swapped wheels, and in fact that was the issue. Of course Ford and Honda products differ....but just for consideration:

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) may not function if any of the following components are
removed, relocated or modified in any way:
OEM wheels and tires
• Tire pressure sensors, cradles and bands
• Smart Junction Box (SJB) or Body Security Module
• Smart Junction Box (SJB) software and calibrations
• Instrument Cluster (IC)
• Instrument Cluster (IC) software and calibrations
• Instrument panel wiring
• Wheel bases greater than originally released
Certain modifications could cause reduced system performance including the complete loss of TPMS
functionality. This may include:
Non-OEM wheels or tires
• The addition of steel carcass or run-flat tires
• Removal of tire pressure sensors, cradles or bands
• The lengthening of the wheelbase to a point where the rear sensors can no longer be heard by the SJB or
BSM module. (vehicles certified at released wheelbases only)
• Modification of the vehicle's recommended tire pressure
• The addition of metallic structures that could interfere with radio signals from the sensors or prevent the
SJB/Body Security Module from hearing the sensors:
- part cages
- roll bars
- dump boxes
- second unit bodies
• Modifications to the mounting location of the SJB module (or Body Security Module)
• Modifications or re-location of the harness supplying the SJB module (or BSM)
• The addition of intended or unintended transmitters to the vehicle
- Intended Transmitters
 Two-way communications equipment
 GPS transmitters
- Un-intended Transmitters
 DC power inverters (known from field data)
 Power amplifiers
 Microwave ovens
 Stereo equipment
 Phone chargers (known from field data)
 Video equipment (known from field data)

I suspect the microwave you keep on the passenger seat is the issue. Removing the microwave may prevent re-heat of your take out pizza on the way home, but it may cure the TPMS issue and make that annoying AIRBAG OFF warning discontinue.

*Greetings: At sea bound for Buenos Aires*
Old 01-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Swap Stats

Wheels = AME FS 01 Tracer 18"
Tires = Toy Proxes
TPMS Sensors =06421-S3V-A04

PAX system warning Run Flat Range near limit 50 miles
The Driver side rear tire icon flashes.

As I scroll through the MID system states tire pressure normal.

So confused.

MY OG PAX tires are in great condition according to the guy who sold me the car he recently purchased them . Car has 25K on it. Please Advise
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Advanced

sorry for treadjacking, but can you read the tire pressure from the instrument cluster or something?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AWP34
Wheels = AME FS 01 Tracer 18"
Tires = Toy Proxes
TPMS Sensors =06421-S3V-A04

PAX system warning Run Flat Range near limit 50 miles
The Driver side rear tire icon flashes.

As I scroll through the MID system states tire pressure normal.

So confused.

MY OG PAX tires are in great condition according to the guy who sold me the car he recently purchased them . Car has 25K on it. Please Advise
If you know your Driver Left Side is good, using a separate tire pressure gauge, sounds like there is a miscommunication between the Driver Left TPMS and the MID. It could be exactly as Tampa said, the TPMS was damaged during installation...but the curious thing is that you say the MID shows normal tire pressures.

If the MID shows that Driver Left has good pressure, what has likely happened is that a separate program has been kicked off counting down how many miles you have left on the PAX tire before it becomes unrepairable (125 miles). Sounds like you are down to 50 miles left. This would have happened if the car detects a no or low pressure situation.

You need to try to reset that PAX warning program. Not sure at this point how you do it without going through the manual.

Since this is a safety system item, you may have dig into the on line service manual in the 2G RL Garage sticky, or (unlikely) you may have to get the dealer to reset it with their computer they hook up to the car.

The main thing is to:

Check your driver side rear tire to make sure it has good pressure.
If so, then
Reset the PAX warning.
Drive again for a couple of miles and report back.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

Tampa now on the way to BA? Wow, what a trip!