Newbe here

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbe here

Hi all. I found this forum yesterday, which is really pretty quick, since I had no clue that an RL existed until last week. I was visiting my Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, Porsche, Acura dealer and noticed an RL. The first thing that struck me was that it reminded me of a Mazda 929 that I once owned that was probably the best car I ever had. It was understated from the outside, but had "all of the goddies" inside. I found this site be web search and have been pleased with the fact that everyone hear seems to really like their RL.

I went back to the dealership today and drove one, I also drove a C and and E Class Mercedes. The C Class does not have enough lateral leg room for me, I was hitting my knees on the window controls and the door handle. I drove the RL prior to the E Class (which is what I have been thinking of buying) and found that I like the RL better. The dealer has two left on the lot and said he would sell me one with tech for invoice, about $44.500. I have seen on this site that I may be able to do better than that so I would appreciate any "leads" that anyone has to improve upon that price.

I am not ready to "pull the trigger" today but I am starting to seriously think about getting serious about this car. Is it OK for other members to post prices paid and dealers locations? If so, it would be very helpful information to those like me who are teetering on the edge of jumping into an RL.

Thanks for the good information on this forum, I look forward to learning more about this car.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:16 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Hello, welcome to A'zine. There is a Sticky on this forum "Owners Sign In' where owners put price paid etc. shoot for $42, they ain't sellin!
Good luck.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 PM
5th Gear

Smile

Thanks for that info, that thread is just what I am after.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I agree - you should be able to get the car for a bit less than $44. At worst, you should be able to get another thousand off.

If you go ahead with it, let us know!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by billsbuddie
Hi all. I found this forum yesterday, which is really pretty quick, since I had no clue that an RL existed until last week. I was visiting my Mercedes, Lexus, Jaguar, Porsche, Acura dealer and noticed an RL. The first thing that struck me was that it reminded me of a Mazda 929 that I once owned that was probably the best car I ever had. It was understated from the outside, but had "all of the goddies" inside. I found this site be web search and have been pleased with the fact that everyone hear seems to really like their RL.

I went back to the dealership today and drove one, I also drove a C and and E Class Mercedes. The C Class does not have enough lateral leg room for me, I was hitting my knees on the window controls and the door handle. I drove the RL prior to the E Class (which is what I have been thinking of buying) and found that I like the RL better. The dealer has two left on the lot and said he would sell me one with tech for invoice, about $44.500. I have seen on this site that I may be able to do better than that so I would appreciate any "leads" that anyone has to improve upon that price.

I am not ready to "pull the trigger" today but I am starting to seriously think about getting serious about this car. Is it OK for other members to post prices paid and dealers locations? If so, it would be very helpful information to those like me who are teetering on the edge of jumping into an RL.

Thanks for the good information on this forum, I look forward to learning more about this car.
44 for a tech is a fabulous price, take it!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
44 for a tech is a fabulous price, take it!
Remember that the current Tech model isn't the same old tech model.

The current tech does not have ACC, CMBS and PAX.

He should be able to get the price down to $42K.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with GoHawks. You should be able to get it for $42. The dealer has $3500 coming back to him from Acura for selling RL's between now and 7/2. Plus it's very late in the model year. You are really almost buying a 1 year old car already at this point. Expect a good discount or wait for the '08's
Old 05-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ! The consensus here is $42k and I agree that you should be able to get there pretty easily.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
just heard about the RL now?!? obvisouly not a car guy what so ever.

just a burn for the newbie

btw, i used to live in the 316 about 8 years ago
Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 PM
has been here awhile

The more you research, the more you'll find that the RL is overall the best vehicle in its class. It's incredibly well rounded, and that's why I find it so appealing--it is incredibly good at everything it does.

Good luck on the purchase...I say go for it! You won't be disappointed!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 PM
5th Gear

"just heard about the RL now?!? obvisouly not a car guy what so ever."

I hear you, lol. I have been focused on German cars for some time now. I have reverted to driving VW diesels, 2000 NB and now 05 Golf. I decided that I needed to look at MBs which I just started a few weeks ago. That has lead me to looking at other cars that I had never considered. I have owned an Accord and between me, my wife, and two kids we finally wore it out. But I have to plead ignorance to any prior knowledge of an RL. Even at my very advanced age I am still teachable.

I'm originally from 314 but have lived here for 20+ years.

I appreciate all of the input so far. I am going to take some time with this decision, I think. I used to buy cars on an impulse, made a few mistakes. What I would really like is for that RL to have the new Honda diesel engine, it would then approach being my perfect car. But the only option for a decent sized diesel is the E Class and I don't want to spend that much. Besides being somewhat uninformed on cars I am also quite frugal.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
Remember that the current Tech model isn't the same old tech model.

The current tech does not have ACC, CMBS and PAX.

He should be able to get the price down to $42K.
Sorry I got my models screwed up!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Besides being somewhat uninformed on cars I am also quite frugal.
Welcome! Frugal works here. Since the uninformed American public is throwing its money hand over fist at BMW, Benz and Lexus, this most excellent Acura goes begging. So you get a big discount on the best overall performer in its class. And...although it's called the RL in North America for reasons we don't quite understand, in reality it is the 4th generation Acura LEGEND. That is an impressive legacy.

Just wait till you familiarize yourself with the state-of-the-art engineering and baked-in technology on this baby. Sweet! Take a spin around AZ and you'll find that, for very good reasons, we are all in love with this car.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by VOdoc

Just wait till you familiarize yourself with the state-of-the-art engineering and baked-in technology on this baby. Sweet! Take a spin around AZ and you'll find that, for very good reasons, we are all in love with this car.
Every day for the last 12 months and 17K miles I am more in love with this car than before.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 PM
'06 Celestial/Black

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
just heard about the RL now?!? obvisouly not a car guy what so ever.
I think that speaks more about Acura marketing than the OP himself.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
Good point.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Is the RL the car for a frugal buyer?
Luxury and frugal don't seem to go together, but the RL just may be the most frugal luxo out there!
Old 05-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
Is the RL the car for a frugal buyer?
Luxury and frugal don't seem to go together, but the RL just may be the most frugal luxo out there!
I personally don't call myself "frugal" by any stretch. What I am is someone who does research before he spends $50k. I'm also someone who doesn't put a lot of value on prestige.

If I'm your typical Acura RL buyer then what we can say is this; An RL buyer is an informed buyer who lives in the best neighborhood for the money but not the most "prestigious" zipcode. He/she likes to pamper themselves with luxury when it counts. He/she will take his better half to a nice $100 dinner (in their RL) and intentionally park it right between that new MB E and a BMW 5 without being intimidated in the least.

Unfortunately for Acura; that type of person is in the minority. That's the only problem with the RL as I see it.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
Advanced

MiKEY you hit the nail on the head
Now the big question How does Acura reach the shallow / less informed masses ? The person who could not tell the difference between a v-6 or straight 6 with the hood open
They have to be able to tell people they drive a Lex BMW MB
My rant is over Pass the Tylenol
Old 05-27-2007, 01:05 PM
5th Gear

Thought I would post a follow up to let you know what happened. I never could get the local Acura dealer to budge, they really want to sell Mercedes and Acura seems to be an oh by the way.
The bottom line is that I bought a Lincoln MKZ. I know, it is not nearly the car that the RL is. But I really decided that I wanted cooled seats, I sat in black leather and it was very hot and sticky. Here in Kansas it gets very hot and nasty in the summer.
I also managed to get $2000.00 more for my trade than the Acura dealer would give me. He told me to take my car to Carmax to get it appraised, do not believe the arrogance. So I am going to live with less car than an RL but I did manage to keep several thousand dollors of my money. I said I was frugal.

I usually only keep a car for a couple of years and maybe, be then, Acura will have cooled seats and hopefully a great diesel engine. If so, I will be back.

This is a good forumn, I have enjoyed the feedback.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Sounds like they wanted to give you a deal on the RL and then take back part of it on your trade.

Well, in any case, we appreciate the follow-up. Enjoy the MKZ, it is definitely a looker!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
5th Gear

They would not go below invoice on the RL and they were $2,000.00 low on my car. They wanted it both ways. I am sure there are people who will pay what they want. They knew that I really liked the RL and probably figured that I was a "star struck" buyer. I have been to too many County Fairs for that to happen.

I was in contact with a dealer in Kansas City and he would not give me a good quote thinking that I would use it to buy the car here. It seems that the entire automobile selling business is in a state of transition. There are still a lot of the old fashioned types out there who will deny that Edmunds is a viable source. I had the salesman tell me "Edmunds does not sell cars", implying that there information was not legit. I asked him who I should trust more, Edmunds who has no vested interest or a car salesman". He had no answer for that.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
They would not go below invoice on the RL and they were $2,000.00 low on my car. They wanted it both ways. I am sure there are people who will pay what they want. They knew that I really liked the RL and probably figured that I was a "star struck" buyer. I have been to too many County Fairs for that to happen.

I was in contact with a dealer in Kansas City and he would not give me a good quote thinking that I would use it to buy the car here. It seems that the entire automobile selling business is in a state of transition. There are still a lot of the old fashioned types out there who will deny that Edmunds is a viable source. I had the salesman tell me "Edmunds does not sell cars", implying that there information was not legit. I asked him who I should trust more, Edmunds who has no vested interest or a car salesman". He had no answer for that.
Certain sections of the country have better pricing than others. However, with the $3500 marketing support being offered I'd suggest that you shop around outside of your area. $42K for a RL Tech is a common price in NJ/NY/PA, DC, SoCal and other areas.