New Squeeling / Whining Noise? Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Squeeling / Whining Noise? Need Help.

I have 26k miles on my 2006 RL. About 3k miles ago, the car developed a squeeling noise at around 40-50 mph. It's been into the dealer twice with no luck in diagnosing. Twice they've given the car back to me and said they determined that the noise was not impacting the driveability or saftey of the car, and therefore I must live with it. Unfortunately they're the only Acura dealer w/in 2 hours of where I live. It was particularly bad this morning, so I dropped it off again to give them another chance. I took the service manager for a drive, and for the first time she agreed that it is not a "normal sound".

Initially the sound was only noticeable between 40 and 60 mph, and it was fairly faint. Over the last month, it has gotten worse and is now noticeable beginning at 20 mph and gets louder until about 60 mph. As I speed up beyond 60 mph or slow down below 20 mph, the noise stops. The sound is most similar to a belt squeel, but the dealership claims all the belts are fine. It doesn't have the attributes of some of the other noises described on this forum, so I thought I'd start a new thread. Here are the characteristics of the noise:

- Coming from the front of the car.
- Not related to RPM, only speed. At 40 mph with car in neutral and engine shut off, noise is unaffected.
- Squeeling does not change when breaks are applied. Dealership did replace pads and turn rotors the first time I brought it in.
- Noise occurs in any gear, accelerating or decelerating.
- Doesn't seem to be wind related. Noise is the same if I'm travelling into the wind or with the wind or with a cross wind. I've even pulled directly behind trucks to disturb the air at higher speeds, but no change.
- More noticeable from outside the car than inside the car. My RL will turn every head on the sidewalk at 25 mph.
- When the noise starts and stops, it has a "vacuum-like" sound. In other words, the noise doesn't just fade away until it can't be heard. When it goes away, it's almost like a seal is shut.
- The sound is the same whether I've been driving for 2 hours or 2 minutes; hot or cold day.
- No accidents, original windshield.

Can anyone help me help my dealer?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by IBanker
I have 26k miles on my 2006 RL. About 3k miles ago, the car developed a squeeling noise at around 40-50 mph. It's been into the dealer twice with no luck in diagnosing. Twice they've given the car back to me and said they determined that the noise was not impacting the driveability or saftey of the car, and therefore I must live with it. Unfortunately they're the only Acura dealer w/in 2 hours of where I live. It was particularly bad this morning, so I dropped it off again to give them another chance. I took the service manager for a drive, and for the first time she agreed that it is not a "normal sound".

Initially the sound was only noticeable between 40 and 60 mph, and it was fairly faint. Over the last month, it has gotten worse and is now noticeable beginning at 20 mph and gets louder until about 60 mph. As I speed up beyond 60 mph or slow down below 20 mph, the noise stops. The sound is most similar to a belt squeel, but the dealership claims all the belts are fine. It doesn't have the attributes of some of the other noises described on this forum, so I thought I'd start a new thread. Here are the characteristics of the noise:

- Not related to RPM, only speed. At 40 mph with car in neutral and engine shut off, noise is unaffected.
- Squeeling does not change when breaks are applied. Dealership did replace pads and turn rotors the first time I brought it in.
- Doesn't seem to be wind related. Noise is the same if I'm travelling into the wind or with the wind or with a cross wind. I've even pulled directly behind trucks to disturb the air at higher speeds, but no change.
- More noticeable from outside the car than inside the car. My RL will turn every head on the sidewalk at 25 mph.
- When the noise starts and stops, it has a "vacuum-like" sound. In other words, the noise doesn't just fade away until it can't be heard. When it goes away, it's almost like a seal is shut.
- The sound is the same whether I've been driving for 2 hours or 2 minutes; hot or cold day.

Sounds like the bearings in the carbon fiber drive shaft may be shot. It's 2 pieces connected in the middle. They can remove the rear part and test drive the car as FWD only. If the noise is gone, then it's the shaft bearings and the whole thing needs to be replaced. Get ready for a "national backorder" on the part as well.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
A loose vacuum hose?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I concur with DWBoston on this one. My '06 has 25000 miles and I listen everyday for this noise. So far, so good.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:49 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Are you saying you have actually shut off the engine while rolling and the sound keeps up?

If so, we can obviously eliminate any engine-related noises such as vacuum leaks, belts, engine bearings, water pump noises, brake booster, etc., etc. But it still leaves wheel bearings, transmission-related noises, and other drivetrain sounds like the differential, driveshaft, and so on, all of which have bearings that can make shrill noises like you describe. You might also consider the fuel pump, since it's electric and would keep pumping if the key is on.

But the most likely speed-related sounds would seem to be:

- Wheel bearings
- Driveshaft bearings/CV joints
- Wind noises (door seals, sunroof, outside mirrors, etc., etc.)

I'm putting my money on wheel bearings.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
5th Gear

Yes, I can kill the engine at speed and it will continue to squeel.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM
5th Gear

Problem solved. It was in fact the drive shaft bearing. It was replaced on Monday. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Can you provide details on the repair? Did they also replace the driveshaft?

Rob144
Old 10-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
Can you provide details on the repair? Did they also replace the driveshaft?

Rob144
I assume that the drive shaft was replaced. I don't think there is any way to repair it. I was told by the service manager that when it goes, it goes, and they just replace it.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:33 AM
5th Gear

Official diagnosis: "Propeller shaft center support bearing is howling intermittantly"

Resolution: "Replaced propeller shaft assembly"

Silence is a beautiful thing.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Sounds like the propellor shaft is more available now for replacement. A few people here had to wait a few weeks for the relacement.

Knock wood, my 06 has 14K miles in 14 months and no sign of this ailment. Nice to have that 5 year drive train warranty! (I hope it is 5 years! )
Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Pro

What was the manufacturing date of your car?
Sometime in 06 this was corrected.
thanks.
I have an 06 and want to compare, I have no issues so far, 13k miles.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by IBanker

I love this forum. I have the exact same issue. Couldn't have described it any better, especially that part about when the noise goes away it's like a seal is shut. About 32K miles on my '05 and just started a month or so ago.

I haven't gone to the dealer with it yet because it just doesn't happen every day and I don't have the patience to hear 'cannot duplicate' from the mechanic. For those that have had this issue, did it start out being intermittent and then get worse? When I get this whine, it's always around 45MPH and continues up to around 55MPH...doesn't change a bit if I vary RPM..it's entirely speed dependent. When I get below 45MPH, it just makes that sound like a seal is shut. I don't get the sense that the noise is especially loud outside of the car..haven't turned any heads from pedestrians that I'm aware of.

Trying to understand if I should expect it to get worse and just wait to take it in until then, or if there is something else the mechanic can look at in the propeller shaft to indicate it may be failing.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Question

If there are any Acura Techs on the board who could research when in 06 the bearings were changed (VIN range)?

I have not had this issue. But my RL is 15 months and 15K miles, so perhaps it is premature for this issue. Or, my RL may have been produced after the bearing was corrected? Bob's RL had it changed and we did get out RLs a few weeks apart.

It would be a nice to know...so I don't develope propellor shaft paranoia!

I can say I am amazed how solid my RL has been, with no unusual noises or sounds that typically introduce themselves as the vehicle wears in. My RL feels and sounds as tight as the day I drove it home. This is the 1st car I have owned that held up so well in similar time and mileage. Still, it is a machine, and in time wear and maintenance becomes a fact of life.

Glad to hear those who experienced it had it fixed without issues.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Just got a call from Courtesy Acura. I had given them all this background and they advised I will need a new 'axle'. I asked if this was the driveshaft/propeller shaft and the service advisor said it was. They are supposed to get the part tomorrow.

My question for those that have had it done or are knowledgeable in this regard, is there anything I need to check out when I get the car back? Not sure exactly what is involved in the repair but would think it would be extensive. (not to mention expensive for Acura)
Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
All I know is, when I got my car back from that repair, it was quiet.

Not much you can look for unless you're willing to go under the car.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lsbuffs
Just got a call from Courtesy Acura. I had given them all this background and they advised I will need a new 'axle'. I asked if this was the driveshaft/propeller shaft and the service advisor said it was. They are supposed to get the part tomorrow.

My question for those that have had it done or are knowledgeable in this regard, is there anything I need to check out when I get the car back? Not sure exactly what is involved in the repair but would think it would be extensive. (not to mention expensive for Acura)
How do they get new axle out of propellor shaft assembly?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
How do they get new axle out of propellor shaft assembly?
Well I decided to call them back to clarify the part to be replaced. It is in fact the driveshaft. Not sure why the tech said axle initially. Again, part s/b received tomorrow and hopefully will be back on the road then. (not sure how long this repair takes)
Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Propeller shaft has been replaced. Didn't seem to take them too long. In limited driving, noise is gone.

Noticed the part number showing on my invoice is 40100-SJA-030. I pulled up that number on the acuraoemparts.com website and shows as a 2007 RL propeller. (I have a 2005) There is a -000 showing for 2005 and a -010 for 2005-2006.

40100-SJA-010 SHAFT ASSY., PROPELLER 05 - 06 RL / 4DR RL 1798.55 1431.68 Qty:

40100-SJA-000 SHAFT ASSY., PROPELLER 05 RL / 4DR RL 1798.55 1431.68 Qty:

40100-SJA-030 SHAFT ASSY., PROPELLER 07 RL 1751.09 1393.90 Qty:
Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Bob, was your noise louder than your intake and exhaust? I assume if our RL's are modded, it would be difficult to hear the faint whining noises from the drive shaft.....

Originally Posted by neuronbob
All I know is, when I got my car back from that repair, it was quiet.

Not much you can look for unless you're willing to go under the car.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yes, it was VERY noticeable.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

I have similar noise but i'm not sure my RL has the same problem.
The noise is coming from passenger side front wheel at around 25 to 40 mph. The noise level is quite dependent on the road condition. Rough road creates more noticible noise. it is kind of bit noise. whee~ing, whee~ing,,,,
I have tried 3 different tires. No help. Tire rotation does not help either. The dealer said they couldn't reproduce. Any guess?
only 8000 miles on it. the noise strated almost when I bought it Nov '06.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 2005 RL, and I hear a whine noise in the following conditions: 1) when the outside temperature is very cold (below 35F) 2) when the car has been sitting for over an hour 3) when the car reaches about 30mph.

The noise quits in the following scenarios: 1) speeds above 38mph 2) speeds below 30mph 3) once the car warms up (a few minutes of driving).

Some aspects of this thread sounded familiar, but others did not necessarily. Also, the whine I hear seems to come from behind the center of the dash, and it increases and decreases in pitch with the speed of the car (within the range 30-38mph). It is NOT RPM sensitive/dependent.

The sound is easily audible if the stereo is not on, and somewhat audible if the stereo is on low-to-medium. It is never very loud or scraping; it is more of a humming sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2005Nighthawk
I have a 2005 RL, and I hear a whine noise in the following conditions: 1) when the outside temperature is very cold (below 35F) 2) when the car has been sitting for over an hour 3) when the car reaches about 30mph.

The noise quits in the following scenarios: 1) speeds above 38mph 2) speeds below 30mph 3) once the car warms up (a few minutes of driving).

Some aspects of this thread sounded familiar, but others did not necessarily. Also, the whine I hear seems to come from behind the center of the dash, and it increases and decreases in pitch with the speed of the car (within the range 30-38mph). It is NOT RPM sensitive/dependent.

The sound is easily audible if the stereo is not on, and somewhat audible if the stereo is on low-to-medium. It is never very loud or scraping; it is more of a humming sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be?
My experience with the propeller shaft/driveshaft noise was that it would occur more often in colder weather. It was not at all RPM dependent. It would not, however, go away after a few minutes of driving rather only started up after approx. 5-10 miles. It would begin around 35-40mph and be most noticeable about 45mph. The best way I could describe the noise is that it sounded like a belt squealing.

I now have about 500 miles on the car post-propeller shaft replacement and noise is totally gone.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
I love this forum. I have the exact same issue. Couldn't have described it any better, especially that part about when the noise goes away it's like a seal is shut. About 32K miles on my '05 and just started a month or so ago.

I haven't gone to the dealer with it yet because it just doesn't happen every day and I don't have the patience to hear 'cannot duplicate' from the mechanic. For those that have had this issue, did it start out being intermittent and then get worse? When I get this whine, it's always around 45MPH and continues up to around 55MPH...doesn't change a bit if I vary RPM..it's entirely speed dependent. When I get below 45MPH, it just makes that sound like a seal is shut. I don't get the sense that the noise is especially loud outside of the car..haven't turned any heads from pedestrians that I'm aware of.

Trying to understand if I should expect it to get worse and just wait to take it in until then, or if there is something else the mechanic can look at in the propeller shaft to indicate it may be failing.
I had the same whining noise. They replaced the propeller shaft and the noise is gone.

I still have the click noise in the gear shift area. I'll have to try the felt solution.