NEW RonJon Legend Wheel Official Debut, **pics on pg. 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas
Very very nice wheel, Ron.... no market for 17s but I would like to see such wheels in 17 ....This would maintain enough side wall to maintain ride quality and down this way we do dirt/gravel/beach roads and a 17 side wall sure helps...

Very Nice wheel and at a fair/good price too!..will be looking for them down here...
Believe me when I say that the 18" has no ride quality lost at mall, actually, the 18" uses a 245/45/18 tire which is similar to what comes on the TL in 17" diameter.
It actually rides better because you get a more responsive steering feel. Once you get to 35 series, then the ride becomes more unforgiving.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rondog,

Got the rims today but one rim is 19" instead of 19".
(the box is bigger and marked 19"-48mm off set.)
Old 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure this will come up, so I might as well break the news

I'm sure this will come up, so I might as well break the news. I pre-ordered the 18s and they came today. However, this morning I got a call from Ron before they actually arrived with some sad news: The manufacturing end of the equation did the offset out of spec and there's not enough clearance to safely accomodate the brakes.

I've no idea what redress Ron has with his manufacturing partner, but it sounds like he's handling this exactly right. I was offered either:
  • a complete, immediate refund
  • a partial refund and a viable work around, -or-
  • replacements as soon as they're available

It sounds like the workaround is a 3mm spacer, which is thin enough that the axle still extends into the wheel leaving things hub-centric (as opposed to lug hung). The amount of the partial refund for those going that route hasn't been determined yet, but the word was "substantial".

I'm not sure what route I'll go yet, but I can't imagine my disappointment is anything like Ron's right now. I'm a small business guy myself, and I know how stuff like this always seems to happen at the least convenient times.

So, anyone have thoughts on the spacer workaround? What are other pre-orderers considering?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Asian07RL

It is bad news but I have not heard any from Ron.

Got the rims and waiting for the tires to arrive to be mounted.

I thought that he has tried the rim on the RL and it worked.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Former Sponsor

We had about 6 preorders that already shipped out and I will contact the last guy tomorrow, I think thats you AsianTL. We did test fit the wheel as shown in the pics from the begining of this thread, and I have yet to talk to my factory overseas, but I thyink they made a mistake with the offset by 2 mm which resulted in this situation. The offer mentioned above stands for anyone, shipping charges covered by us, and a full refund available to any one who wants it, no questions asked. I'm sorry for the situation, but these things sadly can happen. We will make the appropriate changes with the specs on the next batch, but right now, I am having a reputable machineist mill out some exact 3mm spacers that are hubcentric (even tho the 3mm spacer doesn't absolutely require it) to be snapped in behind the wheel and fixed to it. this will solve any calipoer clearance issues and will work flawlessly. I got a quote for $100 per spacer (ouch) custom made with the exact 5 x120 bolt pattern, and 64.1 centerbore, inside and out. I am sending the wheel to the machineist to have the spacer made exactly to the wheel 's sepc for a perfect fit, and depending on how low I can get the price negotiated, the rebate back to customers will be according to that price. Once again, sorry for the whole situation, but these things can happen. Now we have to have the 100+ RL specific wheels in our warehouse either blown out or used on the new MDX, Honda Ridgeline or Oddysey since they don't require the spacer fix.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Asian07RL

Do need only two spacers for the front wheels only to clear the front brake calipers?
If that is the case, I like to keep the rims and have spacer sent so I do not have to send back to you for refunds or exchange.

Please keep me inform what I need to do. BTW, I will send one 19" rim back to you if the deliver guy pick up tomorrow.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 AM
5th Gear

How about an update.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Asian07RL

I can not wait to install my new RonJon Legend rims

Waiting for 3 mm spacers from Rondy to install new JonJon rims with Firelli P Zero Nero tires

Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
It is Pirelli tires not Firelli. The stylized P on the blackwalls can be hard to read.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Asian07RL

I chose this route

Originally Posted by Ry4an
I'm sure this will come up, so I might as well break the news. I pre-ordered the 18s and they came today. However, this morning I got a call from Ron before they actually arrived with some sad news: The manufacturing end of the equation did the offset out of spec and there's not enough clearance to safely accomodate the brakes.

I've no idea what redress Ron has with his manufacturing partner, but it sounds like he's handling this exactly right. I was offered either:
  • a complete, immediate refund
  • a partial refund and a viable work around, -or-
  • replacements as soon as they're available

It sounds like the workaround is a 3mm spacer, which is thin enough that the axle still extends into the wheel leaving things hub-centric (as opposed to lug hung). The amount of the partial refund for those going that route hasn't been determined yet, but the word was "substantial".

I'm not sure what route I'll go yet, but I can't imagine my disappointment is anything like Ron's right now. I'm a small business guy myself, and I know how stuff like this always seems to happen at the least convenient times.

So, anyone have thoughts on the spacer workaround? What are other pre-orderers considering?

Here is the picture of 3mm spacers.Made from extremely strong steel, to ensure a non-distorting shape

Rondy just sent to me and being machined at machine shop. I should receive sometimes next week.

Good job Rondy.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Intermediate

When i grow up I'll buy me an RL, hehe, it will get cheaper and cheaper as the years go along as long as the engine still good.. Then I'll buy me a set of RonJon's and i'll be the youngest member yeah!!! haha.. My Acura Legend will do for now... My 1st car :P

Hope to do business with you RonJon in the future...
Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 AM
3rd Gear

nice rims!

man those are nice....how much do they go for?

Dub Rims
Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 AM
Asian07RL

Originally Posted by gorillagooch
man those are nice....how much do they go for?

Dub Rims
$270.00 each for 18" Legend Liquid Silver.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 AM
10th Gear

My experience with the RonJon's on my RL

I too was one of the unfortunates who preordered these wheels. In speaking with Ron via the phone and a couple of emails he told me approximately when to expect them and that he would call first before shipping them. This fact was important because I was going to be away for a week and did not want them dropped off at my door while nobody was home. Not exactly a inconspicuous package.
Then the day before leaving and not hearing from Ron I came home to find them on my porch! Thanks for the heads up Ron!
So I put them in my car and hustled off to the the dealer for installation and just as I was pulling into their parking lot Ron calls to give me the bad news about the fit. After mulling over the options and being assured by Ron that any 3mm spacer in stock by a tire dealer/installer would solve the problem, I opted to have them installed. The spacer was put on, the wheels mounted with the old pressure monitor stem from my new RL, and were computer balanced. The result:
at speed there is a subtle vibration and I am not sure what causes it. It becomes noticeable between 60-80 mph and after a hundred miles or so still is present. After driving other cars during that time period I have concluded that the vibration in this car is something I'd rather NOT live with. When I first discovered the shake I wrote Ron to at first let him know it might be acceptable (I really wanted it to work since the wheels are very nice) but then asked him --in an email-- if his spacer solution would be any different in resolving the issue. I have yet to hear back from him and that was about two weeks ago.
I understand he is on vacation but I am a little disappointed in his response time as he certainly got my emails before he left. He seems sincere but his tardy or lack of communication is troubling and I have yet to receive the $200 credit he said he was going to apply to my Visa card.
By the way, I have the 19's mounted on Falken tires--the same that Ron tested in his shop. I hope all that ordered these beautiful wheels have better luck than I have so far.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibbidiboo
I too was one of the unfortunates who preordered these wheels. In speaking with Ron via the phone and a couple of emails he told me approximately when to expect them and that he would call first before shipping them. This fact was important because I was going to be away for a week and did not want them dropped off at my door while nobody was home. Not exactly a inconspicuous package.
Then the day before leaving and not hearing from Ron I came home to find them on my porch! Thanks for the heads up Ron!
So I put them in my car and hustled off to the the dealer for installation and just as I was pulling into their parking lot Ron calls to give me the bad news about the fit. After mulling over the options and being assured by Ron that any 3mm spacer in stock by a tire dealer/installer would solve the problem, I opted to have them installed. The spacer was put on, the wheels mounted with the old pressure monitor stem from my new RL, and were computer balanced. The result:
at speed there is a subtle vibration and I am not sure what causes it. It becomes noticeable between 60-80 mph and after a hundred miles or so still is present. After driving other cars during that time period I have concluded that the vibration in this car is something I'd rather NOT live with. When I first discovered the shake I wrote Ron to at first let him know it might be acceptable (I really wanted it to work since the wheels are very nice) but then asked him --in an email-- if his spacer solution would be any different in resolving the issue. I have yet to hear back from him and that was about two weeks ago.
I understand he is on vacation but I am a little disappointed in his response time as he certainly got my emails before he left. He seems sincere but his tardy or lack of communication is troubling and I have yet to receive the $200 credit he said he was going to apply to my Visa card.
By the way, I have the 19's mounted on Falken tires--the same that Ron tested in his shop. I hope all that ordered these beautiful wheels have better luck than I have so far.
You might want to consider having your tires remounted and balanced by a shop using a Hunter GSP9700 road force balancing machine. I find that a lot of the subtle vibration issues are a result of a mediocre balance job as opposed to a wheel design issue. Of course, please make sure you take it to a shop that has experience using the Hunter GSP. A lot of shops have them, but most just use them like a standard balancing machine instead of utilizing the machine to its fullest, which provides the optimal balancing for a perfectly smooth ride.

Give it a try before you contact Ron again.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Asian07RL

Sorry to hear that you are having wheel vibration on your car.
As CGTSX2004 suggested that have your wheels remount / rebalance to see if it helps before contacr Ron. I know that he is on vacation and I am waiting the spacers to be sent to me after he comes back from vacation.

Hopefully, the vibration is not caused by the design 's fault or caused by add on spacer.

Please keep us inform.

Thanks,

Sorry to hear
Old 06-21-2007, 03:16 PM
10th Gear

I do not know whether the shop has the Hunter machine the above recommended, but I do trust the job he did. First, I got his name from Tire Rack as one of their installers and he has top grades across the board from all who submitted opinions about him. Secondly, I watched him mount and balance each wheel as he was a nice guy and actually did the work after his shop closed. Third the device he used to balance spun the wheel, put 700lbs of force to the tire, and designated within 1/2 oz. the correct weight and its precise placement. I have to believe it was balbnced properly.
I was wondering though, because I have switched from the stock wheels and tires to 19's would I have to realign the front end--the only other source I can think of for the vibration.
The spacers shown above are custom made and look much different than what is now on there, although Ron did say any 3MM would work.
I am hoping that because I know Ron monitors this site he will be a little more proactive then he has been with me and do what he promised he would do. I do believe he is a standup guy-- he just needs to prove it.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:12 PM
5th Gear

I do not know whether the shop has the Hunter machine the above recommended, but I do trust the job he did. First, I got his name from Tire Rack as one of their installers and he has top grades across the board from all who submitted opinions about him. Secondly, I watched him mount and balance each wheel as he was a nice guy and actually did the work after his shop closed. Third the device he used to balance spun the wheel, put 700lbs of force to the tire, and designated within 1/2 oz. the correct weight and its precise placement. I have to believe it was balbnced properly.
I was wondering though, because I have switched from the stock wheels and tires to 19's would I have to realign the front end--the only other source I can think of for the vibration.
The spacers shown above are custom made and look much different than what is now on there, although Ron did say any 3MM would work.
I am hoping that because I know Ron monitors this site he will be a little more proactive then he has been with me and do what he promised he would do. I do believe he is a standup guy-- he just needs to prove it.
I agree, was told by him that he'd be back from vacation 06-21-07 called his company to day answering machine won't be in until 06-25-07. I feel that customer service is low on his priorities.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Asian07RL

Just got the 3mm spacers from Ron today.
I will bring the car to TiresPlus place to mount the rims/tires.
They have Hunter GSP balance machine there and hope everything goes well.
Will report the outcome if there is any vibration.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Instructor

I had my legends mounted today with the 3mm spacers from Ron. I haven't taken them up to speed yet, but I know my dealer doesn't have a loaded balancer so I'm hoping I don't get any vibration. They look great excepting the scratch on one and chip on the other added by my dealer.

Put me in the strongly satisfied with the product, price, problem resolution, and customer service camp.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
PICTURES PLEASE, Ry4an.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Asian07RL

Here are the pic. of mine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...6324#post46324
Old 06-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Asian07RL

full size pic.

Shot with DCR-PC110 . at 1969-12-31
Old 06-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Asian07RL

no vibration and the Pirelli tires are quieter than OEMs @ 80 MPH.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Instructor

My legends on a Desert Mist Metallic

Click on the thumbs for bigger pics.

Clearly I'm no photographer.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Can someone who has the 18" wheels installed comment on the difference in the ride from the stock 17" wheels? If these wheels were available in 17", I would buy them and use my current tires. I just bought my 07 and the tires have 500 miles on them. I really want the smoothest ride possible since I had a cushy Cadillac ride before this.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
A lot has to do with the tires also, but the PAX tires and wheels, which are equivalent to 245/45-18 have a smoother, quieter ride than the 17's IMO when I previewed both cars. I was actually surprised by this, and it was another reason to push me over the edge because I really wanted the ACC/CMBS and the PAX was almost a deal killer. Now I am not saying you should get the PAX, but I am saying that this is one data point for you to consider. The PAX wheels and tires are much heavier than the RJ Legends or the Acura A-Specs in 18". Maybe the 18s and Pilot Sport A/S might fill the bill.

Go to your dealer and see if you can try out a car with 18's, the PAX and maybe an A-Spec if available. This will give you two data points.

Reportedly, the A-Spec suspension and 18" wheels drive much more European like, that is firm, but supple, with little harshness and noise, superior in all respects to the stock 17's.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

its fine, 45 series is more than enough meat to totally smoothj the ride out, granted you don't go with a badly performing tire.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
10th Gear

Buyer Beware!!

OK, I've waited long enough. After 4 emails and voice mails there can be no misunderstanding--- this Ron character has decided to renege on his word and not offer the promised resolution to the problem of selling me inferior wheels.
As I mentioned in posts above his solution of putting spacers commonly sold at tire dealers resulted in the necessary clearance to the calipers but also allowed some vibration in the steering wheel, which to this day, is present. I emailed him and told him as much and asked if the spacer he was having made might resolve that issue. And I also asked when he would be providing the $200 credit to my Visa card that he promised in a phone conversation when he notified me that he had shipped defective wheels. As of this writing, and 8 days after my last email to him, there has been NO response. I am mystified as to why he would suddenly choose to ignore me since any previous conversations were cordial and I even agreed to attempt the least expensive 'fix' first. Also, I am aware that he is a sponsor of this forum, is highly visible on it, and heavily promotes his products to this audience, which is even more puzzling. Thus, I can only conclude that he is less than honorable and feels he can survive such negative experiences because of, apparently, a loyal customer base. Surely he must realize that even losing one customer to this type of customer indifference would be more costly than living up to his promises.
Whatever his reasons, the fact remains that he broke his promise for reimbursement and sold me a defective product he was unwilling to fix. Such is the risk one takes, I suppose, when dealing with a mom and pop type operation
Let the buyer beware!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. There's two sides to every story but the circumstances sound terrible for RonJon Wheels. They should probably post a response here because I'll DEFINITELY keep your experience in mind before using "Ron" for any wheels.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
10th Gear

I agree that there are two sides two every story and I challenge Ron to come on and defend himself.
Now, maybe he is very busy and that's his explanation but perhaps he will make it right by apologizing to me on this Forum, admit he ignored me, and do what he promised.
I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Man, I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on buying the rims for my 06 RL, but I cannot take the chance of having this kinda experience that Fibbidiboo had. I think my RL would look great with the rims, but I wont sacrifice the smoothness of my ride to look better. Thanks for your story Fibbidiboo, I will keep an eye out to see how this is resolved.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Fibbidiboo, I'm sure he'll make it right. I've personally purchased wheels from him for my TL and found him communicative and honest, so I'm willing to vouch for him. I thought he'd been away recently? In any case, I am 100% sure he will make it right. I know you've done your part and emailed him already.

Are you sure the wobbly ride is not just your tires? Just asking, not doubting you.....
Old 07-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I thought from what I have read that he looked to be pretty honest myself, but sometimes stuff happens. Hopefully it will work out for the guy.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

To be candid, I'm not sure what the reason for the wobble. I was impressed by the installer and his equipment and the tires are, coincidentally, the same as those that Ron has tried with this wheel. He offered to sell me an extra that he has.

But that has now become the side issue for me and as much as I regret washing dirty laundry in public, I felt it important for those who read this forum to know the experiences of one customer with this man, whom I haven't spoken to since he called me to tell me the problem as I was driving to the installer---more than a month ago.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

just got back from a weekend away due to business travel. Anyway, I kinda felt this one coming, after all, every email you've sent, I have replied and even followup replied, with no relative reply back from you. The only mistake I have made would be to have called after I received your emails. I am concluding that your email is messed up. I will call you tomorrow to figure it out, but my reason for the $200 refund not going thru was becasue I was waiting for your reply back whether you wanted the new hubcentric spacers or the $200 refund. (3 other customers have decided to go with the new hubcentric spacers with success). So I will call you tonight and confirm. Customer support and service is my priority, and we have had nothing but good situations up to date. I guess the planets lined up for this one and I really would appoligize for not replying to emials, but in 100% hoinesty, i did reply. There would be no reason for me to just ignore the situation after I initiated the phone call to cover any mistake we have made from before. Please understand the miscommunication and allow me to make an atempt to satisfy your needs with clear communication now that we know the emails are not working properly.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the reply, Ron. It's always good to hear both sides of the story in a case like this.

I think this should work itself out.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Asian07RL

Originally Posted by rondog
just got back from a weekend away due to business travel. Anyway, I kinda felt this one coming, after all, every email you've sent, I have replied and even followup replied, with no relative reply back from you. The only mistake I have made would be to have called after I received your emails. I am concluding that your email is messed up. I will call you tomorrow to figure it out, but my reason for the $200 refund not going thru was becasue I was waiting for your reply back whether you wanted the new hubcentric spacers or the $200 refund. (3 other customers have decided to go with the new hubcentric spacers with success). So I will call you tonight and confirm. Customer support and service is my priority, and we have had nothing but good situations up to date. I guess the planets lined up for this one and I really would appoligize for not replying to emials, but in 100% hoinesty, i did reply. There would be no reason for me to just ignore the situation after I initiated the phone call to cover any mistake we have made from before. Please understand the miscommunication and allow me to make an atempt to satisfy your needs with clear communication now that we know the emails are not working properly.

Glad to hear from you.
Last time I spoke to you and I knew you are a great guy and care for your customer.
I am sure that the problem will be resolved between you and fibbidiboo.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, foir one, no matter what personal comments werte made, I will be refunding the payment I promised just to soften the situatiuon regarding the whole part number problem (which was offered before any of this argument was even established). But from a personal standpoint, this customer is one arrogant individual. I called like I said, and I replied to the emails, yet he threatened me with this and that, saying he doesn't want any excuses, and he will be taking the next step needed to take care of the situation.

All I am saying is that a small miscommunication and a vacation time has made "Fib" a very disrespectful person who has insulted me without appology. I really can't defend myself from this, afterall, it is impossible to maintain a 100% satisfaction rate for customer service in todays world. Either way, My offer stands, if you still want the hubcentric spacers, I will gladly send them to you and you will be set with no vibrations. If my replies to your emails would have gone thru, then we wouldn't be in this situation today.
Thank you and I hope you enjoy our wheels, feels kind of awkward to have such an insulting person driving on wheels made by the manufacturer he hates so much, lol.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 PM
10th Gear

The excuses Ron has made for not communicating with me are laughable and disingenuous. I just got a call from him (why couldn't he do that a month ago after my third attempt to reach him?) Emails are very easy to reply to: hit Reply, type your message, hit send. I have emails from Ron so I know he can do it.
The phone call was like the above post, full of excuses and a promise to refund my money. I will let you know if that happens.

Quick Reply: NEW RonJon Legend Wheel Official Debut, **pics on pg. 1