New member's quest for a car

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member's quest for a car

Hello Everyone.

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks & wanted to thank everyone for the extremely useful information on the RL. Since other's stories were useful to me in making my buying decision, I thought I'd share mine (if anyone cares):

My name is Jeff, I live in Austin, TX. I tend to buy a car too frequently and reviewed the usual suspects for a sport-luxury sedan. Here are my thoughts on the roundup:

BMW 7 series- was considered, but based on the experience I had owning a 2002 745i two years ago, I didn't even actually drive another one. Great handling / looking car and you can buy one cheap a couple of years old, but I decided that Japanese reliability trumped the German driving experience at this point in my life.

Lexus GS- One of my favorite cars of all time is the Lexus GS. I've owned a GS300 and a GS400. Both were a great mix of sport and reliability. The car was an excellent driver, but it had a couple of fatal flaws for me: first, the driver's seat. I'm really picky about my car's furniture, and have always hated how soft the Lexus seats are. The GS was especially bad, since the side bolsters of the driver's seat are firm and the middle is soft, creating a "pinch" on my hips. My legs were getting numb after juse a 10 minute test drive. I'm 6'3" & 200# for the record, your mileage may vary... Also, it's just my personal opinion, but I don't care for the styling of the new GS's rear end.

Lexus LS460- This is the one that I thought would settle all arguments. It's an incredible machine, but 70K was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend. Still, I thought it it blew my mind, I would be willing to spend more than planned. Some of the aspects of the car were indeed mind-blowing, the thing is flat-out fast and very attractive (again, just my $0.02). The seats were typically Lexus soft, but wider than the GS seats, so I didn't get the pinch. The deal killer for me was something you won't believe: wind noise. I like to test drive a car with the radio and a/c turned off to really get a feel for the car. I had a Lexus SC400 several years ago with terrible wind noise & it bothered me every time I drove it, so I make sure to check for this on any new cars. I couldn't believe how loud it was in a car that seemed to be so well engineered. When I got back from my test drive, I told the salesman that it must have a bad seal or something, he says "Oh, everybody says that, almost all of our buyers have complained about it". Yikes. I hold Lexus in the highest regard and have every confidence that they will fix this issue (he said it was the mirror) but that flaw knocked my senses back into me about buying a $70K car. Maybe I'll pick up a used 2008 model in 2010

Infiniti M45- This car didn't get a fair shake from me, because I just can't stand the rear-end of the car. A friend has one & swears by it & the toys in the car are really cool, but I just can't see myself in one. Also, I had a Q45 in the past & had it depreciate 50% on me in 2 years.

There are probably several other good cars that could/should have been considered, but these were the primary.

On to Acura... my first Acura was a 1991 NSX bought in 1995. Still regret selling that car, it's worth about what I sold it for 10 years later! I've really admired and respected Acura since then. They're not as highly regarded as Lexus but this is more a function of marketing (IMO). The wife drives a 2002 MDX we bought new and haven't had any major issues with & service is always excellent.

The RL is just the best all-around car-for-me-for-the-money. It's sporty, has the best toys available and great furniture. I love the seats in every Acura I've ever sat in & the RL is no exception. Strange that this is such an important consideration for me, but it is. My only gripes with the RL are that the styling is a little conservative for my tastes and I wish it were a bit faster. With all of the car's positives, and the incentives avaialble right now made it very easy to overcome these slight negatives. And at about $30K less than the LS460, the decision was really easy to make.

For anyone buying an RL right now, here's a little about the deal I'm getting. Armed with the knowledge of what others are paying (thanks everyone!) I negotiated with two local Acura dealers and have made a $500 deposit on a:

2007 RL with technology package (Platinum Frost Mettalic on Ebony) for $42,000. They don't have the car on the lot & need to bring it in from out of state, so there's not much margin in the car. Since I'm not one to try to squeeze the absolute last nickel out of a deal, I'm paying about $3,700 for 18" chrome wheels, Michilin Pilot tires & the iPod adapter. Based on what I could get these things for independently, I believe I'm overpaying about $1,000 for these, but it's worth it to me for the piece of mind of having the selling dealer install the rims & tires for me. If all goes well, the car should be here late this week.

I'm also going to ask about getting on the waiting list for the new NSX, due out in '09 or '10, but that's probably a pipe-dream!

Sorry for the long post, this site has been very helpful to me & I wanted to reciprocate in case my quest helped anyone else along the way.

Best,

Jeff
Old 04-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
"Sorry for the long post,..."

No need, very informative and of course...you made the right decision!

You won't be disappointed.

LL
Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Welcome, you will enjoy the car!

Which Pilots are you getting?

Do they give you the stock wheels and tires so you can at least use the wheels for winter tires, or are you lucky enough not to have to worry about that?
Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ!

Very nice initial post. I think each of the cars you mentioned in your buying process has its pros and cons and you can't go wrong with any of them. In particular, I'm a big fan of the M.

Please do keep posting so we know your continuing impressions.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:25 PM
office monkey

Thanks for the detailed post and congrats!!!

Yeah I was at clublexus yesterday reading in the LS460 forum and it does sound like that wind issue thing is annoying many. Weird that it has that problem and I hope for Lexus' sake they figure out a fix.

I'm a huge Lexus fan and it is my fav car line but I must say they seem to be following the path typical of many companies as they become bigger and more successful- more quality control issues while increasing prices. The ES350 has a lot of issues based on what I read. Sadly that is the way of the world it would seem.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, everyone. Glad to be part of the community.

I'm going to call the dealer today & ask about the Michilin sneakers they're planning on putting on her. It's very seldom that I'm on a bumpy road, so I'm not terribly concerned about some of the issues others have faced with them. Good idea about asking for the tear-offs, they will be worth something when it comes time to trade this one back in. Of course, maybe this is the one car I won't want to part with! For all the cars I've ever owned (probably 15) this is the first new one I've ever purchased, so I'm definitely getting what I want.

It somehow escaped me in my original longwinded post, but another key selling point of the RL was the steering wheel being leather, not wood. Again, just personal preference, but I much prefer the tactile feel of the rubber/leather wheel. All of the Lexus cars (except maybe the IS) come with wood wheels, you can't even special order a leather one.

Hopefully, I'll have an update, initial impressions and perhaps a picture by the weekend.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Welcome. My car is almost a year old and has 16k miles. The only issue I've had is a tempermental door handle.

Yesterday I was driving along on the highway at about (80mph) and I was just amazed at how hushed, and solid this car felt (a year later). I must be lucky because I really haven't had issues with rattles and squeaks.

I am more infatuated with this car now even more than when I first purchased it.

Welcome and enjoy!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like a good deal and very nice color combination. Not sure if you considered the A-Spec suspension, but if it's not too late in the negotiation process, I would strongly recommend you consider it. It makes a world of difference in the handling of the car with very little impact on the luxurious ride the base suspension provides. Of course this is my opinion, but I think some would also agree.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Intermediate

Hmmmmmm.... Is the A-Spec suspension something that can be added to a "regular" RL? If so, what does it cost? This was not presented as an option, nor is it obvious that the choice exists when you "build your own" on the acura website. Maybe they don't offer it on the RL anymore?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jswearingen
Hmmmmmm.... Is the A-Spec suspension something that can be added to a "regular" RL?
Actually, that's the ONLY way you can get it. It's a dealer intalled package.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmmmmm.... Is the A-Spec suspension something that can be added to a "regular" RL? If so, what does it cost? This was not presented as an option, nor is it obvious that the choice exists when you "build your own" on the acura website. Maybe they don't offer it on the RL anymore?
Acura does not do a good job in marketing the A-Spec, even though it is the most significant improvement you can make to this car in terms of handling. It is still offered and you can find it in many places, like eBay. I can describe the handling as "European". It's not as good as the BMW but you could be satisfied with it.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Just got off the phone with the parts dept at my local Acura dealer. She doesn't show the a-spec as an option on the 2007 RL. She said you could create the visual effect with the 18" tires, the spoiler & body kit, but nothing on the suspension. Guess that would make me an A-Spec wannabe, eh? I'm a fairly conservative driver, my need for speed is typically straight-line, so it's probably not something I need. However, it would be nice to know I could get the suspension stiffened after the sale if necessary...

Also, she's quoting the price to add the 18" wheels with the Michilin Pilots at $3,432.28 after the sale, so I could potentially get the car with the stock 17s & decide if to upsize later. This would allow me to have both sets of tires, but I'll pay a little more in sales tax and lose 4 years worth of warranty on the rims. I'd really like to get the 18s on day 1, I'm sure I want them, maybe I can get the dealer to give me the tear-offs for little or no $.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Welcome Jeff!

Thanks for your 'longwinded' post.

It appears you parallel many of us with an extensive comparison of the similar vehicles. We are somewhat a rare breed who do extensive analysis on our vehicle choices. Acura should worship us, as the Acura marketing (particularly for the RL) is a bit Hellen Keller (blind, deaf & dumb).

Personal choices aside, and we all have them, it does appear you have concluded similar findings on the various vehicles considered, and your determination of the RL purchase. Welcome to our brotherhood.

Although I traded up to the RL form a TL, the GS was my nearest contender. In fact we have an 06 GS in the family corral. The GS has been a huge let down with quality issues shocking to me (a Lexus fan). We have an appointment on Saturday to talk trading the GS for another RL. I am getting a bit tired of the whining that I hear in my RL. It sounds something like "Gee, I coulda had an RL!"
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
have you looked at a avalon, i know its a toyota and not a lexus but i would have to assume that the quality would be pretty good but only at the fraction of the price of a lexus.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
have you looked at a avalon, i know its a toyota and not a lexus but i would have to assume that the quality would be pretty good but only at the fraction of the price of a lexus.
If you are speaking to me aznboi2424: We also have an new Avalon LTD in the family. It is on it's second tranny, interior plastic is already warped and it rattles and crackles beyond belief. These are the same problems with the GS! Besides the floatier rides, the Toyota / Lexus craftsmanship is very questionable with these models. My RL has become the hallmark or build quality and luxo value in my family. This is from a family of all Toyota & Lexus owned cars for the past 15 years. I have been the exception (rebel) who is now holding (driving) the trump car(d).
Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

One of my colleagues, who makes MUCH more than I do, drives a last-gen Avalon. He's got 150k miles on it with no problems at all. It's plain-looking, but has worked out nicely for him. Not to mention that he saves the money he could have spent on a Benz or BMW for retirement.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, being honest with the guy in the mirror, we should all purchase 3 year old Honda Accords & Toyota Camrys & drive 'em until the wheels fall off. However, life is short and I'm a confirmed carcoholic, so I'm really looking forward to getting my new RL at the end of the week!

The Avalongis most likely a very solid car & even somewhat resembles the 2001-2006 Lexus LS430. No offense intended to anyone, but I'd guess the average age of an Avalon buyer is somewhere in the 90 range. 8^)
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Just got off the phone with the parts dept at my local Acura dealer. She doesn't show the a-spec as an option on the 2007 RL. She said you could create the visual effect with the 18" tires, the spoiler & body kit, but nothing on the suspension. Guess that would make me an A-Spec wannabe, eh? I'm a fairly conservative driver, my need for speed is typically straight-line, so it's probably not something I need. However, it would be nice to know I could get the suspension stiffened after the sale if necessary....
I would have to disagree based on the website and my dealer information. The A-Spec package consists of the body kit, suspension pieces and the wheels. All available separately if you choose. However, if she is correct, I'm sure the parts are still available if you are still interested.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Welcome Jeff. Your thought process parallels many here. You might have done a bit more due diligence than most. Nice choice, with or without the 18s. (Have you looked at the RonJon LEGEND wheels or the Acura A-spec wheels? Both very sweet.) I traded up from a 2004 TL and the killer app for me was real-time NavTraffic.

My own unpleasant experience with an LS460L happened last Friday as I was minding my own business at 65 mph in the #3 (right) lane...a black Toyota--er, Lexus--came flying off the short on-ramp at my exact speed directly into my path. He was not going to give an inch. (Maybe he was distracted by the wind noise and forgot what "yield" means, who knows.) The RL's superior maneuverability and SH-AWD came in handy, as I was able to whip into a small space just to my left in the #2 lane and avert disaster. The RL is, in fact, tossable when the need arises. Someone here wrote that the RL feels "smaller" the faster you go and the harder you push. Good thing, too.

We're delighted to have a new brother.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:27 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey! another Austinite. I've test driven 2 RLs in Austin lately, both used 06s. I agree with everything in your post on car choices...except the color. Is this a new white color or the same one? altho I do like white/ black combos.

Anyway, I like all about the RL BUT I'm just trying to convert myself into a sedan driver, never had a sedan in my life. Had 2 Legend Coupes and 2 03 CLS coupes, most were manuals too.

Well enjoy the new car, I'm wondering which dealer is gonna win you over? I've bought 2 or 3 cars from the north dealer. Really can't recommend either one.
Let me know if you need a backseat test driver!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 AM

Also, she's quoting the price to add the 18" wheels with the Michilin Pilots at $3,432.28 after the sale, so I could potentially get the car with the stock 17s & decide if to upsize later. This would allow me to have both sets of tires, but I'll pay a little more in sales tax and lose 4 years worth of warranty on the rims. I'd really like to get the 18s on day 1, I'm sure I want them, maybe I can get the dealer to give me the tear-offs for little or no $.
As long as you're buying OEM Acura while in warranty, those parts (including your wheels) should be covered for the balance of the factory /extended warranty.

I remember when I had my Vigor, my wife bought me the gold emblem package (remember when that was popular?) about a year after I bought the car. She bought it from the dealer, and it was installed by them. They replaced them several times due to pitting and fading while the car was still under warranty.

You don't have to buy them at time of purchase for them to be covered.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
One of my colleagues, who makes MUCH more than I do, drives a last-gen Avalon. He's got 150k miles on it with no problems at all. It's plain-looking, but has worked out nicely for him. Not to mention that he saves the money he could have spent on a Benz or BMW for retirement.
That's the smartest thing to do with your money, but what can I say? I loves my cars.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:17 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'll never understand people like that. Yeah, OK, saving money, sure... but I know a guy who's got a huge trust fund (I mean...huge. As in really really really big... you'd recognize his last name) who drives around a 6-year old diesel Golf... that he fills with farm diesel so he doesn't have to pay tax on his fuel.

I mean, ok, there's extravagance, and there's frugality, but jeez... if you can't park your butt in at least a decent car, what good is having money?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
I'll never understand people like that. Yeah, OK, saving money, sure... but I know a guy who's got a huge trust fund (I mean...huge. As in really really really big... you'd recognize his last name) who drives around a 6-year old diesel Golf... that he fills with farm diesel so he doesn't have to pay tax on his fuel.

I mean, ok, there's extravagance, and there's frugality, but jeez... if you can't park your butt in at least a decent car, what good is having money?
AND the founder of Walmart drove around in an old pick up truck for years- one of the richest people in the world! The only thing you need to understand is that some people just don't care! Cars just aren't important to them. They're incredibly secure with themselves and don't feel the need to "show off"- is how they feel that buzzing around in a Rolls Royce or cherry red Ferrari would be. Many old money folks feel this way. It's the nouveau riche that loves to buy the expensive toys and make sure people see them.

What I'm amazed about is that people making $40,000/year would buy a $42,000 car. It just shows how short sighted, live for the moment and irresponsible many among us are. Without these people the luxury car manufacturers would be out of business.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by aznboi2424
Avalon? You must have never driven one. Its a Japanese Buick. Can you say float? I test drove one, and quickly dismissed it.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GoHawks
That's the smartest thing to do with your money, but what can I say? I loves my cars.
I agree 100% with you. I have chosen to include a line item in my budget for transportation costs. I'm frugal every other way, though, and my retirement/baby's education fund is being fed religiously. I DID buy an RL instead of the comparable Benz or BMW, after all, because it was the best bang for the buck.