New Infiniti M37x?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Infiniti M37x?

I currently have a 2005 RL with ~78k miles on it. Been a very solid, reliable and pleasureable car. It's time to get a new one and I have hated the current RL front grille since it came out a few years ago. I had hoped that Acura would have seen the light by now and redesigned it -- but they haven't. The RL design overall is looking very dated as well. That part I could ovelook -- but I'm having a lot of trouble getting past that awful, butt-ugly grille. (Don't get me started about the rear-end of the TL.......)

Tomorrow, I'm doing something I didn't think I'd do, potentially (probably) leave Acura. I'm test-driving a 2011 Infiniti M37x. If it goes like I think it will and the pricing is in line, I'll be leaving Acura after two TL's and my current RL.

Comments about Acura designs or the 37x?

Last edited by lflorack; 03-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I've never liked Infiniti... at all. But I can't defend the current designs of the Acura lineup except for the TSX (which is obviously not an option considering the caliber of cars you're looking at). Good luck with the purchase.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by tnobori1
I've never liked Infiniti... at all. But I can't defend the current designs of the Acura lineup except for the TSX (which is obviously not an option considering the caliber of cars you're looking at). Good luck with the purchase.
An honest assesment -- thank you. I have really liked my Acuras. All have been very reliable and very pleasurable as well. I just don't like the current designs.

Can I ask why you've "never liked Infiniti"?

I used to think the interiors were lacking but the current models are much better (again IMHO).
Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
I personally do not care for the "feel" better word would be driving experience nissans or infiniti's deliver. But thats my opinion. Toyota has always given me too much of a soft ride, Nissans put me in the ride too much, and Hondas have always been the perfect balance of sport and comfort for me.

I agree with you about the new Acura designs. They aren't very palatable. M37 is a very nice car though. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If your only keeping it for a short time then yes Nissan is good
Old 03-10-2011, 02:03 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by L's TL
I personally do not care for the "feel" better word would be driving experience nissans or infiniti's deliver. But thats my opinion. Toyota has always given me too much of a soft ride, Nissans put me in the ride too much, and Hondas have always been the perfect balance of sport and comfort for me.

I agree with you about the new Acura designs. They aren't very palatable. M37 is a very nice car though. Let us know how it goes.
I've never driven an Infiniti before so we'l lsee how I like it. I tend to like handling and control over soft ride -- as long as it's still comfortable. Of course, what's uncomfortable to me, might be fine for someone else, etc. I agree that Toyota/Lexus is generally way too soft and I have enjoyed my Honda/Acura ride/handling.

As for the current Acura designs; there so far from what I consider good looking, I've always thought that maybe they're going for a different demographic than I'm in -- but I like the Infniti just fiine so who knows?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by rtr
If your only keeping it for a short time then yes Nissan is good
I assume you're saying that they're unreliable over time. The recent reports and information I've read as I was preparing to car shop indicate that they are only slightly less reliable than Honda's -- but more reliable than Toyotas. (I have no first-hand knowledge of Infiniti reliability.)
Old 03-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by lflorack
I've never driven an Infiniti before so we'l lsee how I like it. I tend to like handling and control over soft ride -- as long as it's still comfortable. Of course, what's uncomfortable to me, might be fine for someone else, etc. I agree that Toyota/Lexus is generally way too soft and I have enjoyed my Honda/Acura ride/handling.

As for the current Acura designs; there so far from what I consider good looking, I've always thought that maybe they're going for a different demographic than I'm in -- but I like the Infniti just fiine so who knows?
I like handling and control better as well. I've only driven G35 coupe/sedan, G37 sedans, and the older I35 and they were all just too "hard" of a feeling for me to enjoy longer than 20 minutes. Wiht the M being a more refined vehicle it may be different. I would hate for Acura to lose another owner but if the M is to your liking I say go for it.

I do like Infiniti's styling and power, and I completely agree Acura has dropped the ball, VERY low. I really just think they are lost. I havent met anyone who just LOVED the new TL and RL exteriors. The interiors are average carry overs from the previous gens. Still nice but nothing cutting edge like say Audi. Here's hoping for a full model change 2012 Acura RL/Legend
Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have a 2005 RL with ~78k miles on it. Been a very solid, reliable and pleasureable car. It's time to get a new one and I have hated the current RL front grille since it came out a few years ago. I had hoped that Acura would have seen the light by now and redesigned it -- but they haven't. The RL design overall is looking very dated as well. That part I could ovelook -- but I'm having a lot of trouble getting past that awful, butt-ugly grille. (Don't get me started about the rear-end of the TL.......)

Tomorrow, I'm doing something I didn't think I'd do, potentially (probably) leave Acura. I'm test-driving a 2011 Infiniti M37x. If it goes like I think it will and the pricing is in line, I'll be leaving Acura after two TL's and my current RL.

Comments about Acura designs or the 37x?

In the same boat here. And I've been going back and forth between the RL and M. Infiniti is a good brand and the M is made in Japan -same as the RL- so you can't go wrong. The design however is something I can't get over. To me it's too "organic" or feminine. The 3/4 frontal view seems like an amorphous amoeba, very ugly.. and the entire Infiniti line has that style and gets old very quickly; just look at the current G. It already looks dated. There is a fine line between a "muscular" design like the previous gen FX and a feminine one like the current M.. but hey, maybe it's just me.
Personally I like more the Acura angular style so I decided to wait for the new RL and GS due next year.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Missing my

An honest assesment -- thank you. I have really liked my Acuras. All have been very reliable and very pleasurable as well. I just don't like the current designs.

Can I ask why you've "never liked Infiniti"?

I used to think the interiors were lacking but the current models are much better (again IMHO).
I've had some friends with mechanical issues with both Nissans and Inifnities. Their gas mileage is not typically comparable to similarly powered Honda products which, to me, suggests inferior engineering. From an aesthetic standpoint, ReWritable made some excellent observations. Their designs do look stale after a few years; versus the more timeless look of cars like the (05-08) RL. I have a close friend with an older M (2008), but it's like comparing apples to oranges when next to the newer models so I won't even get into that.

I'm curious to hear about your test drive.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by tnobori1
I've had some friends with mechanical issues with both Nissans and Inifnities. Their gas mileage is not typically comparable to similarly powered Honda products which, to me, suggests inferior engineering. From an aesthetic standpoint, ReWritable made some excellent observations. Their designs do look stale after a few years; versus the more timeless look of cars like the (05-08) RL. I have a close friend with an older M (2008), but it's like comparing apples to oranges when next to the newer models so I won't even get into that.

I'm curious to hear about your test drive.
Fair enough. I am concerned about the somewhat lower milage rating on the M than my '05 RL. I assumed it was because of the 40 extra horsepower in the M.

I'll certainly report back to the group about the test drive on Saturday (I know I said tomorrow -- for some reason I thought this was Friday).

I DO know that if I do go for teh M, I'll be disappointed to leave the Acura family. Further, I know I'll miss this site. I have looked and don't think the Infiniti sites are as active or useful.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
mileage difference is due to the way they count mpg, it changed in 06, so you'll probably get the same rating with more hp.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Test drove the 2011 M37X and the M37 RWD recently. You can really feel the difference in power compared with our RLs. Yes the ride is a little harder than our RL. But I would seriously consider them as alternatives to replace the RL as long as I got a good discounted price. One of the reasons why I went for the RL rather then the M37x in 2006 was because the Infiniti dealers would not budge on price and Acura dealers had good marketing support discounts from Acura HQ.

One of the reasons Infiniti might still lose out to the RL is no SH AWD, which I really really like about our RL and MDX.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

SH-AWD was the main reason I didn't get an Infiniti...

as for good prices, try www.truecar.com
Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
the side profile on the M series is not very nice IMO. And i dont like the infiniti grill on the M series.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

wait, did I hear someone was going to test drive Genesis 5.0 429hp Hyundai Monster? better not buy that Infiniti
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Get the OEM extened warranty and read the small rpint before signing. My frined had a M35X that the diff went south @76000 and the ext warranty did nto cover because it was specifically mentioned in the Not Covered Parts.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
had bad luck with the nissans I owned so leary of the infiniti.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Test drove two Infiniti M's today:
  • 2011 M37x
  • 2011 M56x

The 56 had gobs of power (420 HP -- that thing was a rocket ship) versus the 37 (330 HP) and only one mpg loss was tempting. But in the end, the 56 didn't handle as well due ot the added 140 lbs up front with the bigger engine AND the cost was substantially more. So, I bought the M37x. The 37 has plenty of power and it definitely feels a lot stronger than the RL. Infiniti has a 1.9% financing deal until the end of the month on cars taken by then. They didn't have one I liked/with the right option packages in stock so they're looking to find one around the northeast in a color combo and with the packages I like (i.e., Premium Package and Deluxe Touring Package - no Technology Package). List price as configured (w/o title, tax, etc) was $57k. Price paid, just over $53k.

The 37 I tested was slightly tighter ride-wise than my '05 RL and handled very well. It was at least as quiet if not more so (expected new vs 5 yo). Features seemed very good. The car feels quite a bit smaller to drive than it otherwise looks and feels just sitting in it and it feels smaller than the RL to drive as well (It's not).

So far a very good experience and I think I'll love the car. More when I get it.

Last edited by lflorack; 03-12-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good buy, I think I am right behind you, and about to buy the same. My 06 RL is great but Acura is lost, there is nothing about the 11 RL that would make me feel like I got a new car. What color M? I want Harbour Blue with the java, but can only find the stone interior on the 11 leftovers. 2012 are coming out to dealers next week.. How did you fare with the RL trade compared to KBB?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Missing my

Congrats! Sounds like you found yourself a nice replacement!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
i would rather wait another year to see what the next RL will look like. Sorry but im not really feeling the M. the new GS will be out around the same time too.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:39 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by kssod
Good buy, I think I am right behind you, and about to buy the same. My 06 RL is great but Acura is lost, there is nothing about the 11 RL that would make me feel like I got a new car. What color M? I want Harbour Blue with the java, but can only find the stone interior on the 11 leftovers. 2012 are coming out to dealers next week.. How did you fare with the RL trade compared to KBB?
As I said, I agreed on an M37x with Premium and Deluxe Touring Packages and the pricing, etc but I didn't pick the specific car yet. Why? Because Infiniti is having a 1.9% financing deal for cars that are delivered by the end of March. That means I couldn't order one from the factory and get it in time (even without the current turmoil in Japan). The dealer didn't have the specific model and packages I wanted on their lot. So, I've chosen a few exterior/interior color combinations -- ranked in the order that I prefer to have them. They are now searching throughout the northeast and when they find it, they'll ship it here. They found three fairly locally -- one of which I really liked -- Moonlight White/Java. But it was a demo model so that was out. I should know early next week.

The dealer I'm working with has what it calls "Clean Pricing" -- meaning they give you the price for the new car without any negotiations. I had done research for good pricing before going to the dealer and they were spot on with their 'Clean' pricing. As for my RL trade-in price, it was reasonable for what I found on KBB with a fair evaluation of miles, paint, etc. It could have been slightly higher, but I got them to throw in some add ons (trunk carpet & illuminated Kick Plates) to make up some of the minor under valuation for the RL. Overall, I'm pleased with the bottom line price.

BTW, they also had a used (6-month old) M56x on the lot that listed for $62,xxx with 7,200 miles on it. They were selling it for $52,xxxx. Test drove a similar 56x but I didn't get it for two reasons...
  • Because it's a used car, the interest rates were higher and it made the deal quite a bit more money
  • the 56 felt less sporty handling-wise due to the extra 161 lbs for the V8. Acceleration was amazing with 420 hp, but I didn't get the same driving feel otherwise with it. The 330 hp V6 is more than sufficient.

Good luck with yours.

Last edited by lflorack; 03-12-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Racer

also look at Truecar.com In cleveland there are 2 dealers with pricing $250 to $1000 below invoice.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I toyed with the idea of getting an M when I was looking into a RL. My past experience with Infiniti products have always been a) cheap interior and b) power lag. I do like the looks of the new M; how does the interior compare to a RL?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
me personally was also just going to trade in my tl for the M37X ..i test drove it and just as the maxima i test drove it felt to bulky yet tighter than my TL inside .the M is a beautiful car but i have never owned a infiniti before and my experience when i purchased my first TL was i initially went for a Q45 infiniti and the second option was the TL the TL had 150K and the infiniti had 100k so i start the infiniti and it wouldnt start then when they gave it a boost and it came on light smoke came ffrom the engine .put the key in the TL and it started right up ..so it was a no brainer so ever since then i've never really had any good thoughts of infiniti and long term ownership especially that i see acuras dating back to the legend still on the streets of N.Y yet not to many Q45's even the later models plus i think for what infiniti wants for that M you coukd get the new JAGUAR ..HONESTLY ..Plus the body styling of that infiniti is hot now but think 5/6 years from now will it still fit in ? ..either way it's your choice at the end of the day so HAPPY SHOPPING and GOOD LUCK
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by thephantom
I toyed with the idea of getting an M when I was looking into a RL. My past experience with Infiniti products have always been a) cheap interior and b) power lag. I do like the looks of the new M; how does the interior compare to a RL?
Although this is my first Infiniti (or Nissan product for that matter), I agree with your opinion of the interiors for the previous model years. This year's M has changed that opinion for me. I've done a lot of reading before deciding on this car and the general consensus with reviewers is that the interior of the M is much better than previous years and at least as good -- or better in most cases - than the competitors. A weak point before, the interior is now a strong point. The RL interior is nice enough but in my opinion, the M's is a great deal nicer.

I did not notice a power lag at all with the test drives I took. It certainly was noticably better than my '05 RL.

Lastly, most reviewers now state that this car is a very stiff competitor for the Audi A6 sedan: BMW 5-series sedan; Jaguar XF; Lexus GS350/GS460; Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan. I find it intereting that the RL is almost never mentioned. We know better but for some reason, the professional reviewers don't seem to.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Congrats on the new M37x. It's a great car.

I have to agree with you on current Acura styling, though the fact that they redesigned the front end of the TL hopefully bodes better for them. Right now, the only brand-new Acura I'd buy is a TSX. In fact, I'm actually looking at the wagon, myself.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Congrats on the new M37x. It's a great car.

I have to agree with you on current Acura styling, though the fact that they redesigned the front end of the TL hopefully bodes better for them. Right now, the only brand-new Acura I'd buy is a TSX. In fact, I'm actually looking at the wagon, myself.
Thanks! It certainly seems to be a great car. I hope it turns out that way too!

I agree, the TSX has the least offensive grille currently. I hope you're right that they will change it soon but I keep thinking it's because they're going for a different demographic than me (I'm an old guy!) and younger guys like it just fine.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

am i missing something??? that front is NOT hot. its not aerodynamic looking nor is it sporty...New doesnt necessarily mean nice. Id take the 2011 RL.

Last edited by wall e; 03-13-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Nope, younger guys despise the Power Plenum as much as everyone else.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by wall e

am i missing something??? that front is NOT hot. its not aerodynamic looking nor is it sporty...New doesnt necessarily mean nice. Id take the 2011 RL.
Obviously, it's a matter of taste. I like the '05 RL-style just fine -- just not the newer style with the big (to me) nasty looking chrome thing at the top that's on all of the current Acura models. It's too big and out of place (again, IMHO). If someone likes that, great. I don't. As for the M37 front-end, I think it looks muscular and well done. Obviously, you don't. BTW, I like it because it appeals to me -- not because it's new.

Anyways, all of this is why there are many brands and models. We all have our likes and dislikes.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Nope, younger guys despise the Power Plenum as much as everyone else.
Good to hear!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Racer

No AWD Hyundai monster
Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^
Does the Genesis come in AWD form now?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

^^^
Does the Genesis come in AWD form now?
it was planned but not yet announced,
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by kssod
They found my car! I'm picking up my Moonlight White (pearl white really) with Java interior M37x on Wednesday night!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
They found my car! I'm picking up my Moonlight White (pearl white really) with Java interior M37x on Wednesday night!
Congrats! Post some pics once you take delivery!!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new car (great color)... as far as reliability goes on infiniti, my expeirence was real good with my 03 G35 and as far as I know its still running strong ( it sold the same day I traded it in, to my friends cousin) I traded it in 4 years ago with 75k on it and it now has 184k.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Enjoy and keep in touch - looking fwd to pix.

Quick Reply: New Infiniti M37x?