New 06 RL - Rough Paint (and trim, glass!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:38 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 06 RL - Rough Paint (and trim, glass!!)

Anyone ever experience this with a brand new unit? I took delivery of a 2006 a couple of weeks back. Rubbing my hand across the paint it feels like very fine sandpaper! It feels this way on the trim, bumbers, and glass to an extent as well!

I suspected the "Paint Sealant" I got suck'rd into buying during the closing went bad, but I do not think so... I tried washing multiple times, even waxing/buffing. I had to use a mild rubbing/polishing compound on a small section, then wax, to get a smooth finish. Bug and tar remover had zero effect on the glass.

I'm taking it into the dealer on 11/28, where I'm sure they are just going to try and detail the paint again. They suspected I parked it under a tree or something, but that is OBVIOUSLY not it as it is uniformly distributed everywhere, not just the top surfaces.

This feels like a factory defect of some type to me. Unfortunately I took delivery in a rainstorm and did not notice it then.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
hmm... interesting. I normally do a "feel test" when I purchase a car. I wonder if it was simply sitting on the lot for awhile? Have you tried claying it? Try washing it with liquid dawn, claying it, and then wax/or polish. should be smooth afterwards. (btw, do not use dawn on the regular, only if you want to start this process all over again, Dawn will strip wax/polish).
Old 11-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Had The Same Paint Issue...Easy Solution

ChudLee,

Had the samething with my car; most likely caused by my car sitting on the lot for 5 months. The easiest and safest way to get rid of the problem is to clay the paint. You might consider doing it yourself as opposed to letting someone unnecessarily go at it with something too abrasive. The whole process took about two hours. The results were smooth, shiney paint and a big smile on my face.

Bob
Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

FYI, I use the Zaino clay bar. Love it.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:46 AM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

I have the same thing on my car. There are some isolated areas where it feels rough. I'm sure my car sat on the dealer lot for awhile too before I came along. My brother just took delivery on a brand new car last week. It came from another country. He took possession of it the moment it came to the dealer. I checked out the paint and it is smooth as butter!

I will probably give that Zaino a try next spring on my RL.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
FYI, I use the Zaino clay bar. Love it.

Zaino costs, but it is the stuff. My car will be getting the clay bar and the full Zaino treatment next spring.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mine was very rough as you describe. I did a car fax and found the dealer in Washington DC had purchased the car from a dealer in Florida where it had sat for roughly 6 months. I think it was minisule bits of sap or something on the paint and trim. The dealer worked the paint and now it's smooth and shiny in most places. It was with great fear that I let them work it and I'm still not sure I did the right thing. I can see faint swirl marks on the black trim around the windows now.

I've since bought some clay to try since reading about that from folks here and on other forums. I haven't ever "clayed" a car so I'm a novice at this.

If you look closely at the chrome trim you may see small spots that are deposited which is what was over half of my car. That may be what has happened to yours.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Claying is pretty easy, but tedious. Just make sure you have a spray water bottle handy and keep the areas you are claying constantly wet.

Originally Posted by kmcheney

I've since bought some clay to try since reading about that from folks here and on other forums. I haven't ever "clayed" a car so I'm a novice at this.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:03 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I believe some sections like the leading edge of the fenders and such have a type of protectant that feels rough. It's supposed to protect against road debris.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChudLee
Anyone ever experience this with a brand new unit? I took delivery of a 2006 a couple of weeks back. Rubbing my hand across the paint it feels like very fine sandpaper! It feels this way on the trim, bumbers, and glass to an extent as well!

I suspected the "Paint Sealant" I got suck'rd into buying during the closing went bad, but I do not think so... I tried washing multiple times, even waxing/buffing. I had to use a mild rubbing/polishing compound on a small section, then wax, to get a smooth finish. Bug and tar remover had zero effect on the glass.

I'm taking it into the dealer on 11/28, where I'm sure they are just going to try and detail the paint again. They suspected I parked it under a tree or something, but that is OBVIOUSLY not it as it is uniformly distributed everywhere, not just the top surfaces.

This feels like a factory defect of some type to me. Unfortunately I took delivery in a rainstorm and did not notice it then.
You had the paint sealant applied when you took delivery? You mean the dealer did not know that there was a rough feeling to the paint when they applied the sealant. If they are trying to blame sap falling on the car, tell them that you thought that is what the purpose of the sealent is to prevent road grime, sap, and bird doo doo from attaching to the painted surface. That is the line they tried to give me when they tried to sell the sealent,, which I refused.

Take it back to the dealer and let them deal with the problem. You should not have to spend additional time and money to have a perfect finish. I'm interested to see what the dealer tells you on the 28th.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 AM
2nd Gear

Thanx all. We'll see what happens at the dealer. Unfortunately, won't be today as planned since Seattle is pretty much shut down due to (a pitifully small amount of) snow.

I had a body shop look at it - since it so so perfectly uniform, and even under lips, etc, they think it is some kind of overspray like a clearcoat lacquer or something. We'll see!

Does "claying" work on glass and trim as well by chance?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator

I've used it on glass, no issues at all. I don't see why it won't work on trim, but just don't rub too hard on the chrome accents to be safe. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that specifically before you experiment.

Originally Posted by ChudLee
Does "claying" work on glass and trim as well by chance?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Just be sure and use plenty of lubricant when using the clay. That is the secret of claying.