New '05 RL Owner... Love this car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New '05 RL Owner... Love this car!

Just picked up my RL on Saturday after a month-long wait and I couldn't be more satisfied. I have to say this is the best all-around vehicle I've ever owned.

When I first saw it I thought the styling was a bit too conservative, but after living with it I love it more every day. The exterior finish on this car screams quality, and the interior rivals my previous Lexus GS300 and SC430. The guages, nav display, and the blue ambient lighting are incredible. Add to that that it's a much more exciting car to drive than the other two and you have a winner.

The RL feels like a much lighter car than it is, but at the same time it feels stable and planted on the road. There may not be a lot of torque down low, but it comes on fast and smooth in the mid-range. And as long as it can move out of traffic I'm happy.

The sound system and tech features? Icing on the cake.

Not much more I can say that hasn't been said by other owners. This car is great!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:26 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

1 - Get Pictures
2 - Start Thread

That is IN ORDER. But please, POST PICTURES
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear that you love it, and nice writeup.

Take some pics!! congrats on the car!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:19 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for joining the forum...and great selection of color.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Pictures would definitely be welcome

And congrats on the purchase.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro

I'll definitely post pics, but there are a couple of pics of a Celestial Silver RL in the sticky thread with the various RL colors. Same car. No difference.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

I thought I would chime in here as well. I now have 3000 miles on my new 2005 RL and I'm still loving it as well. I think the car drives great. I love the SH-AWD, it works so well that even the shitty tires on it can't keep it from handling half way decently. I can't wait till my new 19" Work VS-SD2 wheels show up with the 255/40 19 Michelin Pilot All Sport tires. I'm sure the SH-AWD will really shine then.

I also love the sound system. It is simply awesome. I went out and bought just about every DVD-A (of bands that I like) I could find and they sound great in the car. Even the CDs sound great with teh Centerpoint working. I only wish the Centerpoint software worked on MP3s as well. It's very slick how the unit plays DTS, DVD-A, MP3 and CDs all so easily.

I also love the looks of the car as well. I wan't overly thrilled initially, but with some minor modifications, like my painting the silver grill black, I really like the looks now. Less classy and more sporty with class. I did not like the silver top grill and the black bottom, since my mod I think it looks much better. Now you guys can see the pics so let me know your thoughts. I'm sure there will be some that hate it, but I think it looks much better this way.

I also have the Mugen body kit on order as well. Like the Work Wheels, it's coming from Japan so I may not see it till late January or February, but I can't wait. I think it is a much better kit than the A-Spec.

My next upgrade will be either negotiating with my dealer to sell me the A-Spec dampers by themselves (outside of the Apec package which I believe they are not supposed to do) or wait for Mugen's dampers to be completed. I think the 3/4 inch drop may not be enough so I may just wait for Mugen, or perhaps Comptech to come up with something. Comptech tells me they have some stuff under development but they won't tell me what. Only that I should check back in late January.

Here are the picks of the grill change. I'm sure you guys will let me know what you think. Also, I inserted a copy fo the wheels I have on order and the Mugen kit which most of you may have already seen in other threads.

OK, I can't upload the images the way I thought. I'll post them when I figure out how best to get them up there.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:41 AM
OG

You need to find a place to host it. This is a good place and its free. www.photobucket.com
Old 11-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Well guys, I figured out that I'm not allowed to post attachments yet. So I'll send the pictures as soon as I someone can give me the authority to post them. I think this link will take you to an album where the 5 shots are located. Two of my car with the black upper grill, one of the new Work Wheels, and two of the Mugen Body kit on a Silver Honda Legend. I have the wheels and the Mugen Body Kit on order from Japan.

http://members6.clubphoto.com/thomas935435/2849413/
Old 11-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hmm...the grill does kind of look better. I do think they used too many bars so that tones it down a bit.

Those wheels are interesting. Can't wait to see what they will look like on the car.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:15 PM
OG

Originally Posted by codyt01
Well guys, I figured out that I'm not allowed to post attachments yet. So I'll send the pictures as soon as I someone can give me the authority to post them. I think this link will take you to an album where the 5 shots are located. Two of my car with the black upper grill, one of the new Work Wheels, and two of the Mugen Body kit on a Silver Honda Legend. I have the wheels and the Mugen Body Kit on order from Japan.

http://members6.clubphoto.com/thomas935435/2849413/
Email me the pics... justinjsw@yahoo.com I can get it up and posted here for you.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:23 PM
OG

Hosting for codyt01

Old 11-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I remembered someone doing a photochop on the original RL prototype and thought it looked sportier with the black grill:

You did the real thing! Very cool, how'd you do it??
Old 11-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cody,

Maybe it is just your picture or my computer. But your color looks Meteor Silver not Celestial silver in the picture you posted.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Advanced

Legendguy,

Good Eye...My car is Meteor Silver. Juntinjsw only posted the pictures of my car in the forum, my satin silver comment was about 2 other pictures I had posted of the Mugen Legend Body kit on a Silver JDM 05 Legend. You need to read a little further down the thread to see my first post where I explain all of that and my plans for my car. Hey I never saw that post of the prototype with the blacked out grill, if I did, I would have done it sooner. It does look real good. Before I did it, I took electrical tape and totally blacked out the original grill and road around for 2 days that way to insure I liked it. Then my son and I simply pulled the grill out of the car. Its only held in there with 7 or 8 of those snap fasteners you find everywhere on the the new hondas and other cars. Then I laid down about 10 coats of Krylon Plastic Black paint after cleaning it good with mineral spirits. I also painted the lower grill to ensure the blacks matched. That one needed to be painted on the car so I simply masked out the grill and then covered the car with blankets and painted away.

Hey on that picture below, whoever did it also slammed the car to make it look like a 1 or 1.5 inch drop. It looks sweet like that. That's where I want mine to sit with teh Mugen kit on it. I'm hoping the mugen dampers drop it more than the 3/4 inch that Acura did with teh Aspec Kit.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:44 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats!!!

I'm at the dealership right now getting a 37,500 mi. service on my '03 CLS 6MT. So I decided to take my first close look at the new '05 RL. Very nice... impressive and buuueati-fullll. I think this Acura will now compete directly with BMW and Mercedes mid class sedans; and leave Lexus behind. If I was looking for a second car, I'd consider it. No, I would never consider trading in my car - it's a keeper.

I hope Acura will eventually offer a 6MT for it or at least a 6sp paddle shifter version. I'm also wondering if CompTech is working on any mods.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 AM
angel eye RL

man!1 just got me a 2005 rl.. and damm its nice..luv everything bout it..drives very smooth and luv the interior! i used to own a 96 rl..and wow the 2nd gen is such a difference..was looking at an 06 clk 350 before getting the rl..glad i got the rl..way more options and the navigation is out of this world..in the process of looking for some 20 inch for it..dont kno much bout wheels..can ani one help with size of tires and specs i need for it?? will armano dumanis fit?
thanks.
will post pics asap!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by andysdesign3
man!1 just got me a 2005 rl.. and damm its nice..luv everything bout it..drives very smooth and luv the interior! i used to own a 96 rl..and wow the 2nd gen is such a difference..was looking at an 06 clk 350 before getting the rl..glad i got the rl..way more options and the navigation is out of this world..in the process of looking for some 20 inch for it..dont kno much bout wheels..can ani one help with size of tires and specs i need for it?? will armano dumanis fit?
thanks.
will post pics asap!!!
Call tire Rack on tires and wheels, they are very good at what they do, You will need the right size.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM
angel eye RL

thanx

thanx a bunch...helps alot...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ, Andy!

Do post some pictures in the Photo Gallery section.

Don't forget to post your purchase details in the RL owner thread at the top of the page.

To find 20's that will fit, search through the Photo Gallery. Your best bet is using Google to search:

"xxxxxxx (x=your topic) site:https://acurazine.com"

Also, look in the Tires and Wheels section, if you haven't already.