Need Assistance - Side Mirrors & Auto Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need Assistance - Side Mirrors & Auto Lights not working

Hey all,
Before I bring the car into the dealership, I'd like to see if I can fix this myself as I think it's a fuse that has gone bad.

The side mirrors no longer adjust electronically (via the switch on the dash), nor do they tilt down. The lights when set to auto no longer turn off. They are on all the time in this position.

Both events started occuring at the same time so I think they're tied into each other via a fuse.. BUT, I can't figure out which fuse is bad. I used a tester and checked every one and they all came back "green".

Any suggestions are appreciated before I take this thing in and have them bend me over backwards. Our warranty expired about 60k miles ago

thanks~
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Forgot to add that the doors no longer lock/unlock automatically as well - even though it's set up to do so on the MID.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
check to make sure the light sensor is not blocked (the sensor that tells the car how bright it is outside).... was your mirror switch set to one side (i.e. left/right).... if u leave the mirror switch in the middle, it won't adjust or tilt down in reverse..... and make sure your remote is linked to your car (when u turn the ignition, it should have either driver1 or driver 2 displayed)
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
The dealer may need to diagnose, it could be a sensor or software they all channel.

But if you want to try and cure, I would:

1) Check Fuses
2) Verify Remotes are linked (try unlinking and re-linking)
3) Verify MID settings, try turning Auto Lamps OFF, then reset to custom setting.
4) Reboot the RL by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. (It is possible you may lose you personal settings, and may need to re-enter).

If no success....dealer time.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
The dealer may need to diagnose, it could be a sensor or software they all channel.

But if you want to try and cure, I would:

1) Check Fuses
2) Verify Remotes are linked (try unlinking and re-linking)
3) Verify MID settings, try turning Auto Lamps OFF, then reset to custom setting.
4) Reboot the RL by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. (It is possible you may lose you personal settings, and may need to re-enter).

If no success....dealer time.
A word of caution on disconnecting the battery, make sure you have the radio and nav codes handy as you'll need them to get the radio and nav working again.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by rlerman
A word of caution on disconnecting the battery, make sure you have the radio and nav codes handy as you'll need them to get the radio and nav working again.
Good advice.

I have disconnected my battery for 5 mins, and did not need the NAVI and radio codes, nor were my personal settings lost. There may be a period when it can all be lost.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Brought it in on my way home from work yesterday afternoon and even before they looked at it they stated that the diagnosis would cost (at minimum) $80.

Thanks Acura... for nothing. Our 4th anniversary just passed and we now own the car outright. Then the problems begin! Wow, I had no idea we bought a BMW

I'll break out the repair manual and see if I can figure out whats wrong myself.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Originally Posted by psheu
was your mirror switch set to one side (i.e. left/right).... if u leave the mirror switch in the middle, it won't adjust or tilt down in reverse.....
Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Did you try disconnecting the battery? That forces a reboot of the car's computers and may result in a return of function. The dealer has a way to do reboots without battery disconnection, but of course that will cost more than the $80 they wanted for an inspection.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BKW... Just today I discovered the same problem (The side mirrors no longer adjust electronically (via the switch on the dash), nor do they tilt down, when you put the car in reverse) I have moved the switch both right and left to no avail. The manual isn't clear where the fuse is located. Can someone identify which fuse it is? I also noted other suggestions regarding disconnecting the battery to reset or reboot the computer system) Sounds simple enough and I have the codes for the Nav and Radio in case they lock up... but is there anyone else familiar with this technique that can verify that it will restore the computer system?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes worked and I just wanted to post this for anyone's interest. Suggestion much Appreciated! Thanks!
John Jacobs (JJAcura in Edmunds RL Forums)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
I know this thread is 3 years old...but I actually just got the same issue. My auto lighting isn't working..its always on meaning its always nighttime...my auto tilt side mirrors don't work and my auto lock doesn't work when I set it to park...it works when I choose the option to unlock when I shut off car. Anyone figured this issue out? I will disconnect battery tomorrow....
Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
How old is the battery? When you disconnect the battery, touch the positive and negative cables together for a while. There is a service bulletin stating that turning the ignition to II with the cables touching helps. Surely the mirror switch is moved to one side when you say it isn't working, right?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oo7spy
How old is the battery? When you disconnect the battery, touch the positive and negative cables together for a while. There is a service bulletin stating that turning the ignition to II with the cables touching helps. Surely the mirror switch is moved to one side when you say it isn't working, right?
Yup, the mirror is swithched to the left and right but nothing is tilting...worked yday..everything happened at the same time. Noticed my auto light wasn't working correctly...got to home depot and noticed my door didn't unlock..than tried to park and noticed it didn't tilt...what a mess!! haha. I'll try the battery thing tomorrow....getting sleepy
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
An old battery in this car will make random electrical gremlins come out of the woodwork. The battery can be charged enough to start the car and even pass a load test but will still cause all sorts of weird problems. Any battery older than 4 years is questionable.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oo7spy
An old battery in this car will make random electrical gremlins come out of the woodwork. The battery can be charged enough to start the car and even pass a load test but will still cause all sorts of weird problems. Any battery older than 4 years is questionable.
ya...I can't find out since I am the 2nd owner and I got the car 3 months ago. I am assuming its on its 2nd battery since its from Acura...I also had to jump a friends car twice..so that might have decreased its life a little..Gonna disconnect and see what happens. If nothing, I'll check some fuses even tho I can't find the right one...prob check the battery voltage...lastly, get a new optima red top battery
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
I am on the jumper cables are for cars with carburetors band wagon.

It isn't safe to send a surge like that through any car, or to put the additional strain on the alternator.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
I am on the jumper cables are for cars with carburetors band wagon.

It isn't safe to send a surge like that through any car, or to put the additional strain on the alternator.
Ya..I didn't want to but it was kind of emergency. I just disconnected my battery and all my features work again....weird.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Right on, you have to do what you have to do.

I carry one of these in the trunk.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
2005 RL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sniffles, If your problems return, go ahead and buy the Optima battery. As all the guys know, even a slightly weak battery causes exactly those issues.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by racerrl
Sniffles, If your problems return, go ahead and buy the Optima battery. As all the guys know, even a slightly weak battery causes exactly those issues.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't recall a weak battery causing those exact issues. The leading sign is that the steering wheel will not telescope out when starting the car. Other gremlins may appear, but can't recall anyone stating sniffles issues with weak battery.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, this thread was first posted eight years ago, and the last post was five years ago. I just sent in the last payment for my used 2005 Acura RL last week. My car will turn over 200000 miles in about a week.

This, of course, meant that this new gremlin has appeared. This thread is exactly what has happened to me. The automatic headlights are now stuck "on." The car will not automatically unlock when I put the transmission lever into park, but I changed the setting to auto unlock with the ignition, and the auto unlock will work. I just realized yesterday that the switch to adjust the outside mirrors no longer works. However, the driver memory position preset buttons will still operate the outside mirrors. My battery is only about two years old. I do not want to disconnect the battery, yet, because the driver position memory buttons still work, and my son drives the car regularly.

Has anybody else had a permanent solution? Did the disconnect battery solution work permanently? Thanks for this thread...