My RL Trunk Cubby

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

My RL Trunk Cubby

Here's a picture of my RL Trunk Cubby.

It's really one of those storage bags from your local general store with the hook side of velcro sewn to the back of it.

You then simply press it against the inner trunk liner, and viola, you have a place to put your flotsam. And jetsam.

Rob144
Old 01-10-2007 | 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice mod. If only it would hold an air compressor. I currently carry that and my jumper cables in the pocket of the cargo net, but would rather have it along one side of the trunk.
Old 01-10-2007 | 05:15 PM
Instructor

If you have the RUN FLAT tires you can put all that junk in where the spare tire would go
Old 01-10-2007 | 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Nice mod. If only it would hold an air compressor. I currently carry that and my jumper cables in the pocket of the cargo net, but would rather have it along one side of the trunk.
Depending on how big the compressor is, it might fit in a larger "bag". Additional velcro would help keep heavier items "locked on". If it's too heavy, it won't stay on, and would probably fray the trunk liner.

Instead of using the trunk liner material as the fuzzy side of the velcro, you could rivet or otherwise secure the fuzzy half of the velcro to the trunk liner, so it is permanent. Then, no matter how heavy the item was, it would probably stay reasonably secure.

Right now, my jumper cable just lies there in the trunk in the pouch it came in. At least its in a bag and heavy enough to stay put.

Rob144
Old 01-11-2007 | 09:32 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Hey, Neuron - keep in mind the thingy holding your stuff doesn't have to hold it suspended in the air ... let the weight of your stuff rest on the floor of the trunk, but use the velcro to just anchor it to the side and keep it from sliding around.

(BTW - kudos for carrying a compressor. As I've posted before, I carry one in all my cars, along with a plugging kit, and it has been a 'lifesaver' more than once. These things are cheap, effective, small, and weigh maybe a pound or two at most. You won't need it often, but when you do ... )
Old 01-11-2007 | 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

What kind of compressor do you folks use? I'm assuming a 12 volt type, but what brand/model?

I once received one as a gift, but it could barely push a feather, much less inflate a tire.

I have an AC compressor at home that has saved me many a trip to the gas station, but one for the car would be even better for road trips.

Rob144
Old 01-11-2007 | 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob144
What kind of compressor do you folks use? I'm assuming a 12 volt type, but what brand/model?

I once received one as a gift, but it could barely push a feather, much less inflate a tire.

I have an AC compressor at home that has saved me many a trip to the gas station, but one for the car would be even better for road trips.

Rob144

I'll look at the brand when I get to my car after work today. It's some cheapie brand that I bought for $15 or something at Murray's Auto. It works great and it has saved my bacon a couple of times on the road. I bought it because none of the local gas stations' air compressors worked.
Old 01-11-2007 | 01:24 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rob144

Rob144
Rob, here is a pic of one of the five (5) of these things I have (2 of them are extras I got because they were on sale for dirt cheap). The others are a little different, but they'all about the same size. i.e., about 6" long. And yes, they are 12v - most of them plug into your cig lighter outlet, but some have alligator clamps for the battery.

This particular one I got at Harbor Freight Tools, and I believe it was on sale for like $4.99. Regular price there is something like $10. It's rated for 250psi, and similar units I've used are more than capable of inflating a car tire. It may take 10 minutes, but it will do it.

And BTW - if you're into camping, or your kids do soccer or basketball, or you have an air mattress for the beach, or whatever, one of these will come in handy. They come with needles for inflating sports balls as well as other adapters.
Old 01-13-2007 | 07:15 AM
Intermediate

This type of air compressor came standard with my Porsche because they have a collapsed donut that you need to inflate before using.
Old 01-13-2007 | 09:42 AM
Instructor

Mike_TX
I can't tell from the picture how long the electric cord is on that pump. Based on your picture I looked at one at Advanced Auto last night. It was about $13 IIRC. Even then, I couldn't tell if the cord is long enough to reach from the cigarette lighter to the farthest tire on a SUV, mini-van, or regular sedan.
The price you got at Harbor Freight is a good one.
Old 01-13-2007 | 02:57 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by kmcheney
Mike_TX
I can't tell from the picture how long the electric cord is on that pump. Based on your picture I looked at one at Advanced Auto last night. It was about $13 IIRC. Even then, I couldn't tell if the cord is long enough to reach from the cigarette lighter to the farthest tire on a SUV, mini-van, or regular sedan.
The price you got at Harbor Freight is a good one.
On this particular one, the electrical cord is 10' and the air hose is an additional 18". I know from using a couple of others that there's no problem reaching any wheel from the console cigarette lighter recepticle of a sedan.

I would think SUV wheels would also be within reach, but there's always coiled 12v extensions for cigarette lighter cords like this if it's too short.