Motor Trend 8 Luxury Cars Camparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:39 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 179 Likes on 100 Posts
Motor Trend 8 Luxury Cars Camparison

The RL finished one from the bottom. Relative to performance I would not argue the rankings and do agree the ride and transmission are very dated for a $50k vehicle. If the everyday grind of owning, servicing, and driving the car like I do for 50k miles and more every single year, and sometimes in some very inclement weather and horrendous traffic was considered, I think the RL would have placed much higher.....at least in my own rankings.

It's rare for the most premium of premium Hondas to finish this low in a comparison test, but the RL is simply a dated entry in an especially progressive segment. - Ron Kiino

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0aBX9XnPv

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 12-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Interesting. But they flog these cars for these comparos....and I know no one who dives their car, especially of this segment so much to the edge every day.

What did surprise me is that the M finished behind the RL, which has a more sporting engine note, throttle tip in and visceral feel. These yahoos usually cannot compute beyond those attributes. The RL is tuned for refinement and smoothness over sporting attributes yet I agree the tranny is not up to this segment's expectations. That said, I am also surprised the GS finished ahead of the RL. It does not drive as capable as the RL, but it does have the Lexus refinement and sophistication reputation.

No surprise, I would expect the Germans to top the list. I agree the Germans have the driving dynamics down. But for a slight trade off of driving dynamics, I will still buy Japanese for reliability and technology. That remains my choice.

Kudos to GM for the Caddy. It is the only US model I have even looked at, considered and thought enough to drive. Just make it 10-15% larger inside and I could consider it. It is a very well proportioned car. It looks similar sized, but my butt told me differently when I sat inside. Likewise, parking next to one (I did it intentionally) to compare size, and the RL was noticeably wider.

The comparo I would really like to see these yahoos make with these vehicles is driving the to work, running errands on weekends and taking passengers with them. Give them a couple weeks of LIVING with these cars and see what opinions they have beyond the 90 second carnival ride.

Just today in running Holiday errands, I thought to myself "3.5 years down the road and not only am I more impressed with this car, it has remained fresh and solid as the day I drove it home." That is what makes a winner to ME.

Last edited by TampaRLX-SH; 12-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Just went through the whole article. I'm not surprised by the RL's placement, nor the Bimmer's placement.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I think that review was written by people who visit the track more often than drive around.

The only items they considered was pretty much driving...nothing about the options the cars are packed with, the technology, the reliability.

It's a nice read, but not that great if you're picking a car to buy.

Posting photos of RL in a foot fo snow...wonder how the 535i would deal in that situation.

At 55k it probably doesn't even have heated seats.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
At 55k it probably doesn't even have heated seats.
...or leather seats!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by VOdoc
...or leather seats!
yea...I wasn't gonna go where.

Do you want to mention Navigation or is that too crazy?

in that case...power seats? probably not.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
but the 535i is

Acura/Honda needs to wake up and do something about the RL.
It was a great thing when the put the SH-AWD in this car..back in 2005. It looks like they are still relying on that technology to get a high rating. The car still has a 5spd transmission. The RL is also "underpowered".
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I also read that comparo. While it doesn't suprise me, I really don't care about the RL's placement low in the order here. You have to take these car mag comparos with a grain of salt. As has been pointed our here - they don't report back on real world driving or livability, reliability... they report on pure driving fun, based on limited time behind the wheel.

if someone gave me an RL and a 535i and said "which one is cooler/faster/better on a race track?" I'd pick the 535i too! But when I bought my car, I wasn't looking for a track car... c'mon...does ANYONE who buys these cars REALLY take them ona track?

I don't even bother tryin to take my RL on a twisty mountain road. I mean, it could do it, but why? that's not what these cars are made for! it's like doing a comparo between an X5, ,XC90, Cayenne, and an MDX and then trying to se which one coudl do a hill climb, mud bog, and a tractor pull better and faster! no one does ANY off roading in a modern suburban SUV...they are kid/grocery/toy haulers..at most...

When I went car shopping - which was recently - I was looking for a daily driver that was large enough to fit a family of 5 - was comfy, and was a great value. I looked at the E350 and 5 series. I test drove both..but they were far more expensive than the RL to get it equally equipped. And if you considered the V8 variants, those were FAR higher priced.

considering value and reliability, for the average consumer, I thinkt eh results of the comparo woudl be the other way around... but that's not what they were comparing..
Old 12-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Instructor

With the subjective criteria these car mags use in these comparisons and their fondness for everything BMW, a BMW could almost be expected to win even if there wasn't one in the comparison.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Interesting comparo and not surprising results given the RL is now five model years old, with another 1 or two to go before replacement. It'll be back near the top if/when it is replaced. Still loved mine!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
The RL may not survive to the next model make over if Acura keeps with the same mind set. I haven’t seen the sales numbers, I’m sure Acura is bleeding money on this vehicle. Acura might need to take page from American automakers and discontinue a model for a while until they can figure out a winning combination.

SH-AWD with more standard RWD torque (60-70% RWD)
RWD only model
Adjustable suspension like the MDX
3.7L Direct Injection
4.8L Direct Injection
3.7L Direct Injection w S/C
3.7L DI with hybrid tech for +400hp
7 speed AT
Restyled grille
Sport/performance and luxury models for the RL
More interior/exterior color combo

Millions people will hear about or read the Motor Trend test and won’t even consider the RL because of it. If people think the RL is not worth it, they are going to assume the other Acura vehicles may not be worth it.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I haven’t seen the sales numbers, I’m sure Acura is bleeding money on this vehicle.

Millions people will hear about or read the Motor Trend test and won’t even consider the RL because of it.
The RL / LEGEND has paid for itself prior to the 09 MMC and has made a profit for Honda. Although I am not sure how much was spent on the MMC, the sales since have been mere dozens. Further,it has introduced technology that now not only defines the Acura brand (namely SHAWD and telematics) it has trickled down to the entire Honda brand.

I doubt there are 'millions' of people who are even potentially market buyers for the RL. There is no damage done to the RL by this article, especially at this point in the RL's life cycle. There has been much more damage done to the market perception of the RL with Acura's apathy towards this car, especially earlier in it's life. And of course, I personally think Acura's styling hack has only scared aware even more.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 179 Likes on 100 Posts
Tampa RL you are very correct with your assertions regarding Acura's lack of marketing support/apathy.

Case in point, the RL's Nav Traffic, Laser Cruise, and most specifically the CMBS, now 6 year old technology at Acura, yet supposed market leaders (Mercedes for one) are bragging about same technology being introduced on their 2010 models. And on the Acura the technology works flawlessly (remember Mercedes foray into Nav systems? RECALLS!).
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRL
The RL / LEGEND has paid for itself prior to the 09 MMC and has made a profit for Honda. Although I am not sure how much was spent on the MMC, the sales since have been mere dozens. Further,it has introduced technology that now not only defines the Acura brand (namely SHAWD and telematics) it has trickled down to the entire Honda brand.
Exactly. Any money made on any RL now is pure gravy for the Honda Motor Company.

Which is why we should hope the next RL will be super-fabulous, so the tech can trickle down the line again. Though they will probably f up the marketing again. I'm taking bets on that!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
8th Gear

I love my Tech 2006 RL with 47,000 miles. not one problem except low battery, which was replaced under warranty. I got 29.6 MPG on the freeway the other day and averaging 21 MPG. where are they coming up with 13 MPG? Zero to 60 in 6.9 seconds not bad my other car is a SMART Car zero to 60 in 12 seconds. Who cares we can hardly get up to 60 MPH on I 5 becasue too much traffic.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:16 PM
2005 Acura RL ASpec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
but the 535i is

Acura/Honda needs to wake up and do something about the RL.
It was a great thing when the put the SH-AWD in this car..back in 2005. It looks like they are still relying on that technology to get a high rating. The car still has a 5spd transmission. The RL is also "underpowered".
Didn't the 5 series BMW have a really bad side impact safety rating?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I would argue that the RL suffers from marketing (lack thereof - as described above), heavy weight (not necessarily dearth of power), and outdated technology (now).

Having rented Cadillac CTS' nearly every week in 2009, I can attest that it's a nice car.

On par with my RL? Hell no.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lindros2
On par with my RL? Hell no.
I agree. The RL is far more refined. The CTS' level of refinement is more at the level of the TL, which is not too shabby.

b f wollen, car mags flog the cars they are reviewing. When doing so, mileage suffers. With the RL, with all city driving (zero freeway), 13 mpg is indeed possible and quite realistic, as other member here have noted over the years. Freeway mileage is awesome for such a heavy car, though.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Instructor

My last fillup average was 12.8MPG but 60 of those miles where on some really fun mountain roads. I do normally average in the low 20's though with a lot of hwy driving.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

If you want some of those top picks don"t forget the cost of maintenance on them. Which was the deciding factor when I got my RL.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Safety is also to be considered of which is often forgotten with the RL. The RL is a solid car compared to even any Lexus I have owned in the past and one I would want to be in vs the others in an accident.