Moonroof "beat" when open

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:50 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Moonroof "beat" when open

Not sure that I qualify as a "nature lover" but do like to have sun/moonroof open during the nice weather. <g>

Which brings me to my question...I seem to be getting a lot of "beat" with the moonroof open (windows up) and traveling about 40+ MPH. Always figured that's what the little spoiler/air dam is all about.

I did recently find that if I just barely touch it in approximately the middle, it greatly reduces the "beat". (think pointing at the bottom of the pop up air dam from inside the car) I also noticed that it is vibrating/flexing and when I touch it, this stops and it starts doing it's job better.

Now the question is - has anyone else observed this? Do the same "test" and get the same results?

I realize that it won't be tomb quiet with the moonroof open but also think this is out of the ordinary for other cars and probably this one also.

Now that I think about it, not sure if I've tried this with the TL or not...be interesting to see.

Tom
Old 09-16-2006, 12:57 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I posted about a similar situation with no responses. I had an appointment to bring it in and then it mysteriously stopped. I was able to recreate it pretty easily before, but now it's gone. Dealer said they're not aware of any known problems. As soon as it reappears, I'm bringing it right in.

In 5K miles, that's been my only issue. I love this car.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:57 AM

I posted about a similar situation with no responses. I had an appointment to bring it in and then it mysteriously stopped. I was able to recreate it pretty easily before, but now it's gone. Dealer said they're not aware of any known problems. As soon as it reappears, I'm bringing it right in.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2609
Old 09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Originally Posted by GoHawks

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2609

Guess I missed your earlier post. The other thing is that I just noticed this in the last few days (weather has changed for the better <g>).

Just strikes me as the air dam/spoiler is just too flimsy to do what it is supposed to. I don't *think* I would have trouble duplicating it. Seems to be pretty consistant from when I try to get it to occur.

If you didn't get any responses and the dealer says no issues known of, guess I should drop by my dealer and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the reply. (and good luck with your issue!)

Tom
Old 09-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happens in all VW/Audi cars.....open a rear window a little or close the room a tad...really. One would think they would design this out of the cars....

Not sure if I am talking the same problem, but try it out.

JB
Old 09-16-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tvande
Guess I missed your earlier post. The other thing is that I just noticed this in the last few days (weather has changed for the better <g>).

Just strikes me as the air dam/spoiler is just too flimsy to do what it is supposed to. I don't *think* I would have trouble duplicating it. Seems to be pretty consistant from when I try to get it to occur.

If you didn't get any responses and the dealer says no issues known of, guess I should drop by my dealer and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the reply. (and good luck with your issue!)

Tom

The dealer was willing to look at it, but it just disappeared. My situation is EXACTLY what you're encountering.

BTW MEMPHIS, this is a different type of issue than what your speaking of. In this instance the wind deflector begins to vibrate and it resonates throughout the whole roof.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
This happens in all VW/Audi cars.....open a rear window a little or close the room a tad...really. One would think they would design this out of the cars....

Not sure if I am talking the same problem, but try it out.

JB
Yes, I know I can get around it, and I've been in cars that are worse than the RL. Just seems to be an issue that shouldn't be occurring. Think the worst one I was in was an RX7 after I pulled the air dam down to see how much it was doing. Sounded like bass drums that I was inside!

It looks to me like they have done quite a bit of "engineering" on the deflector so that it SHOULD work and if it didn't flex it WOULD work. I'm thinking that I've gotten a weak unit or something. The beating appears to come from the deflector flexing. <g> Just barely touch it on the back side (enough to stop the vibration) and the "beat" goes away.

It does sound like I do have an issue, with only one other reply and his went away by itself - tells me that mine really shouldn't be doing it.

And I suppose you could say that's one of the reasons I didn't buy VW/Audi, didn't like their "standard equipment". <wide grin> ("that's a joke son" NOT the start of a flame war)

Tom
Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Originally Posted by GoHawks
The dealer was willing to look at it, but it just disappeared. My situation is EXACTLY what you're encountering.

BTW MEMPHIS, this is a different type of issue than what your speaking of. In this instance the wind deflector begins to vibrate and it resonates throughout the whole roof.
Been cleaning on the RL today (and planned for tomorrow also) so will check it when I next drive it. DID check on the TL today and it does NOT have the issue, even at 55 or 60. Not sure I would be able to stay in the RL very long at those speeds with the sunroof open.

Tom
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Update

Got a chance to drive some today with the "roof" open. Decided my issue had gone away - almost no noise at all and began thinking I had been going crazy before.

Then I turned and headed west instead of south...BIG difference.

I've come to the conclusion after doing a bit of "playing" today that it is an issue with wind direction compared to car direction AND the wind speed. Get the combo right and you're done in. Other times, it's as you would expect.

This can also explain the on again/off again that we've all been seeing.

Overall, it strikes me that they have probably skimped on this a bit because not many will use it in the fashion we have been. Also seems to be "within design tolerances".

Might be worth a mention next time I have the car in, but not worth a special trip to have it looked at.

Tom
Old 09-27-2006, 03:16 PM
VIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this issue with my 2001 CL. I just removed the deflector completely and this solved the problem. What the deflector is doing is not so much "deflecting" the air so it goes over the sun roof when open as it is "deflecting" air into the cabin. The cut outs in the deflector are what is drawing the air down and thus creating lift on it, while the rest of the deflector is being pushed down by the air traveling over it. Because the deflector is desinged to pivot up and down when the sun roof is opened and closed and is not fixed, the two forces of lift and drag acting upon it will create the buffeting that we all hear when the air flowing over it is not 100% clean. Hope this helps? If not, you can always just remove it and problem solved. Thats what I am considering doing.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:39 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Sure looks like a lot of engineering went in to the thing, so kind of hate to just "take it off" or throw it away or... <g>

Seems to me like it just needs to be a bit more rigid or the spring load forcing upward a bit more - just not quite there is some respect or other. And, yes, I think that the "cleaness" of the wind has something to do with it - not sure if cross wind makes it worse or head wind, but there does seem to be some direction that really makes it act up.

I guess it's just one of those "oh, shoot" moments...where you had hoped it would be better. <g>

Tom