misc thoughts after 1 year

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post misc thoughts after 1 year

2006 RL celestial silver/ taupe 17k miles 1 year old this month. Replaced loaded Jag 3.0 sport with manual tranny
This a good car. It has been flawless, no sqeaks,rattles or unexpected repairs.
Replaced OEM tires with pilot A/S at delivery they have been great in Cleveland rain and snow (30 mile commute thru snow belt over 100" snow last year).
trolled acurazine posts for the past year thought I would give some opinions.

Powertrain: An outstanding cruiser,but lacks the visceral feedback to be truly engaging. Quick on paper but doesn't feel quick compared to my Jag which had the same accel. times. exhaust could be better at throttle. Always feels like a split second lag when I pass in D, somewhat better in manumatic. Why are similar weight cars with 300 hp faster on paper? 6 speed auto? Gearing?

SHAWD: Outstanding in the snow and wet, very secure and safe. Great in snow no torque steer with snow ruts etc at speed. Everyday driving feels heavy like a front driver (changing lanes normal highway,about town etc.) Get into the rear torque and it is much better on twisted roads.

Styling: very subjective, but very easily confused with an Accord to the uneducated. several car friends asked if that's what it was. Stock wheels are ugly, would look much better in a titanium brush like 07 MDX sport. I would of bought 18 ronjons but didn't want to pop for new rubber again. 08 Accord looks sharper, Lexus GS looks like a luxury car, catches my eye etc. The Jag in adriatic blue and the sport package always looked sharp and classy, was never confused with anything else.

Interior: very nice, ergonomics are great, seats great, little touches like how rear cup holder opens and interior lights are great. love the keyless entry, nav is great( 1st one of had). Handsfree is a little slow. voice recognition makes mistakes frequently (ny accent) No problems with Acura idrive mouse. Steering wheel stitching is rough compared to my 05 MDX rim.. RL has a much tighter stitch with what looks to me to be monofilament, the MDX feels like leather. Need to check this out in the 08 MDX.
Doors are heavy and the placement of the interior handle makes it difficult to open, and close since they are so close to the hinge. A lever works better if it is further away from the pivot point.

Overall a very comfortable, secure, reliable drive. Have taken several road trips 400 miles plus and it's just great at 80-90 mph, my brother the C6 owner took it up to 120+ the first time he drove it, and it felt like 80, no float just rock stable. He was impressed.

Could use more torque, and a more sporty exhaust for everday cut and thrust.
At 50k I am not sure there is a better new AWD car, that is the same size inside. Comparable 535xi is closer to 60k. At the price I paid and the current going price of close to invoice with an extra 2-3 k off, net 42k, it is a steal. I just wish Acura would sharpen the exterior, (new CTS anyone ? ) Not cut corners (why does Canada get cooled seats, where is the rain sensing whipers like my 05 MDX, some cool wheels please,and parking sensors standard). I'm not sure I'll replace with the same in 09 but it will be interesting if Acura listens to its customers.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Dang, ANOTHER NE Ohio RL owner. (Don't be confused by my current location, I'm on vacation and checking in occasionally from the foothills of southern Colorado. ) We are rare as hen's teeth, and yet still find this forum.

Anyhoo...great comments on the RL, and thanks for delurking to post, hope to hear from you more often.

Some answers to your comments:

Best way to improve feedback is to lower the car and move to 18s. If you're worried about warranty, A-Spec is the best way to go to lower the car.

SH-AWD is definitely the shiznit, as I keep saying. I don't think the car feels like a typical FWD car very much, even in routine driving. I just drove our part-time 4WD (e.g. it's mostly FWD) Honda Pilot across the country, and THAT feels like FWD and you can really feel the nose at all times. Not so with the RL. Again, with better feedback you will not have this feeling so much.

Your comment on the stock wheels is right-on. I resolved the issue by getting rid of them. I understand, though, not wanting to spring for 18's (which is the biggest I'd recommend in the Cleveland area.

Could definitely use more low-end grunt. As far as exhaust, you can always go aftermarket (see my sig and if you want to see my RL when I get back to town, just contact me).

I am quite sure Acura is listening to us and will redesign the RL to our specs. They did this with the 3G TL, after all.

Thanks again for the comments!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice review I agree with you on the door handle design. Alot of my passengers do say the door is pretty heavy. Your right on the styling, power and handling. Luckily all three weakness's can be addressed with the help of the aftermarket.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice review. I agree with a lot of your comments. That said I'll probably be replacing my 05 RL with an '09 or '10 model assuming it gets a V8. You can't beat the tech in this car for the price compared to its competitors. This is my 3rd Acura with Nav and I can't see leaving for another company's Nav system.

OT: Was behind a new LS460 that was out on a test drive last night driving home from the train. I was surprised at how small it looked from behind...and how much it resembled my mother's Camry from behind as well. Pretty car though.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Smile

I am also approaching 1 year with my RL and considered a 1 year review. But you covered most of it, so I'll just piggyback onto your thread.

The RL continues to exceed my expectations. I agree with some of the carps, especially the tranny characteristics but I expected these when I purchased the RL. While I agree the tranny shift tuning can be more athletic and urgent, I like the smoothness the current tuning offers. My TL was case in point, the tip in was agessive and the TL was difficult to modulate in stop and go traffic or cruising the garage for a parking space. It would lurch ahead requiring you to get on the break...it was exhausting in everday traffic. Sometimes it would get confused as to which gear as it tried to accelerate and stumble or slam into gear. The RL exibits none of these traits. Although it does not have the throttle tip in tuning as urgent as the TL, it is effortless in motion. I like that. And it will travel at speed without feeling so. Some people want to travel feeling their hair is on fire...I don't. I like the confident, refined sense of speed the RL offers.

I am pleased with the engine, refinement of sound and relative economy. I too would not mind more torque, but not at the expense of the smooth launches or a loss in economy. I still avg 23-24mpg per tank. I think if I wanted a torque monster, I would seriously hope for a Honda Diesel to be offered in the RL. Hopefully by the next model will and my desire for a new RL will be in timing with a Diesel.

I like the suspension, it is smooth without being too floaty (i.e. Lexus). There is a handling edge that is there when I want it, but I don't have to be punished in most of my everyday driving to have it. There is a sereness to this car that has nearly evaporated my stress of traffic warfare. This attribute would never be admired form a test drive. It continues to grow on me. And although the stock Michelins handle and wear satifactorily for me I would prefer less mid range roar from coarse roads, which the ANC does not address this sound range. I am considering Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in another year if the OEMs do not get too noisey sooner.

The SHAWD has changed my driving habits somewhat. On twisty roads where the TL plowed or lost some grip, I now dive into them with the RL and use the dead pedal with more zeal. It makes me grin like a posessed man. Intially I thought it was too seemless, there was no fun with it. But I have learned it maked everyday driving carefree. And when I WANT to toss it, I can MAKE it react and enjoy the ride. There have been many times where I knew my TL would falter and the RL either has no issues or the SHAWD system addresses the falter without incident.

Braking was also a trait I have learned to love on the RL. Initially I felt the pedal was too soft, too 'luxury' tuned. But I now love it and although 'luxury' I am continually impressed how capable the brakes are and with no extreme nose dives. I am also impressed how little brake dust settles on the rims. One year later and the brakes as as smooth as new. No pulsing, vibration or squealing.

The car is solid. Other than the death creak from the 'Not an Ashtray' in the center console (since resolved) this car is built extremely well. I have had no mechanical or electronic issues at all. I've had a door armrest and driver's seat leather replaced, but no other cosmetics. My RL looks as cherry as the day I drove it off the Acura lot. Only 3 rock chips to the paint had to be touched up and is my only sign of wear.

Styling is subjective and I agree the RL is not stled to be in your face. But I also understood it was not intended to be. I think it will wear well long term whereas trendy styling can wear out long term. I agree it sets no trends, but I expect it to look good in 10 years. I like the somewhat stealthiness of the RLs style and I like here are few on the road. I personally love the RL's style for the same reason I like a comfortable button down oxford, kahkis and leather loafers. I find the cabin stylish, techy, extremely comfortable and detailed in ways my TL let me down (materials, fit and finish). A year later and my dash has not needed 'treatments' to address embarassing fade, oxidation and deforming (a la TL).

I like the size of the RL. A larger vehicle is too cumbersome to me. Driving the family Avalon (aka Nimitz) is a chore to fit into parking spaces and garages. I would not mind an inch or two more in the RL's back seat, but I would not want a longer RL. Just less front and rear overhang and stretch the wheelbase. I like that the RL feels substantial without having substantial measurements (sans the weight it does have).

Last, the RL still impresses me with features that have yet to become passe to me. There still is a daily reaction in the RL's technology that make me think 'That's NEAT!'. In one year, most cars seem to wear too comfortable or the shortcomings overshadow the positive attributes. This has not been the case with the RL.

Obviously by the sales, the RL is not the car for the masses. And with the criticisms I agree with, I was well aware of and they did not affect my decision to purchase. But if Honda picked my brain to build my car, I'd have to say the RL has done so better than any car I have owned at any price. Adding in the price factor and competitors in this segement, I'd buy it again with no question. For the 41K I got my RL nothing then and nothing now would make me choose otherwise.

Time owned: 12 months
Mileage: 12, 225
Service Calls: A1 (2/07) & B16 (7/07)
Repairs: Drivers' armrest and seat leather replaced (wrinkles, bubbling). 'Not An Ashtray disassembled and foamed / felted for creaks.
Mods: Just the wood shift knob...still waffling on the wood wheel.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I've had my RL for 1 year, driving 6500+ miles so far.

I really enjoy getting in the car day in and day out. My car gets mostly commuter duty on surface streets. My 10 mile drive takes anywhere from 10-25 minutes depending on the traffic and season. Hence, my MPG is on the low side (15-17 mpg typically). On the highway I get in the mid-20s and better, but I just don't get enough highway time.

Operationally, the car had to go in for an alignment when it was new. Other than that, I've rotated the tires, changed the oil, and had the wood wheel installed, with a free loaner TSX. Sometimes takeoff from a stop feels a bit "stumbly" or "surges" a little, but that could just be the VTEC at work (and the AWD underpinnings engaging). I killed 2 minor dash creaks (the "Not An Ashtray" creak, and one on the passenger side of the center stack).

Even with that, I've been as happy with the RL as any car I've owned, even my '95 Legend L sedan. The design is subtle, and it grows on you. It makes the competition looks somewhat stodgy or overdone. The paint job is terrific.

The driver's seat is a comfortable place to be on the morning commute, and my MP3 CDs and XM radio mean I'm never at a loss for music and entertainment. Every time I get behind the wheel, I find something to admire: the vast expanse of real wood on the dash, the NAV system, the room in the driver's compartment, the terrific armrests...the wood shift knob AND the wood wheel. Ohhhh, the wood wheel! (Sorry TampaRL)

Rob144
Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Rob144
Ohhhh, the wood wheel! (Sorry TampaRL)

Rob144
Grrrrrrr

Rob just send me your wheel...I'll try it out and if I like it, I send it back and order up one. Deal?

I was JUST ready to click PAY NOW on PayPal when I thought, geez that plood must get hot in the sun! It's inthe 90s here!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Grrrrrrr

Rob just send me your wheel...I'll try it out and if I like it, I send it back and order up one. Deal?

I was JUST ready to click PAY NOW on PayPal when I thought, geez that plood must get hot in the sun! It's in the 90s here!
You must have one of those folding window shades, right? I always use one when the car isn't covered, so I haven't experienced hot plood-hands. A small price to pay to keep your plood cool.

I hung on to my old steering wheel "just in case". Now I feel silly, as nothing will pry that ploodie out of my car.

Rob144
Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by Rob144
You must have one of those folding window shades, right? I always use one when the car isn't covered, so I haven't experienced hot plood-hands. A small price to pay to keep your plood cool.

I hung on to my old steering wheel "just in case". Now I feel silly, as nothing will pry that ploodie out of my car.

Rob144

Damn you Rob!

Yeah, I have a window shade. One of those foil covered ones that will blind a pilot at 33,000 feet! It is in my garage. I am fortunate that my RL is rarely in he sun very long. Garage at home and garage at the office. Just a few mad dashes in between. I can always drape my microfiber dash dust cloth over the plood in a pickle.

UGH, I should just surrender and get the damn wheel. But if I don't like it, I am blaming YOU!

I guess I need to get a ploodie in my hands too!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Damn you Rob!

Yeah, I have a window shade. One of those foil covered ones that will blind a pilot at 33,000 feet! It is in my garage. I am fortunate that my RL is rarely in he sun very long. Garage at home and garage at the office. Just a few mad dashes in between. I can always drape my microfiber dash dust cloth over the plood in a pickle.

UGH, I should just surrender and get the damn wheel. But if I don't like it, I am blaming YOU!

I guess I need to get a ploodie in my hands too!
Oh dear, we seem to have hijacked the thread.

I did have my uncovered (but windshield reflocto-shaded) car out in the sun on Friday, and while it wasn't 90 degrees out, the plood wheel was definitely on the warm side. Not too hot to touch. The wheel offers plenty of pleather on the wheel to hold onto if you don't want to hold the wood.

I know you're pretty particlar about your ride, so here's my "plusses" and "minuses".

+ The wood wheel completely tranforms the look and driving experience for the better. The stock wheel is just no comparison - it is slippery, hard, and not very grippable.

-/+ While the plood color isn't an exact match for the real wood, it looks close enough. Besides, the dash and wheel are seldom in the same light, so the fact that the wheel is bit darker goes unnoticed. In concert with the wood knob, the interior is transformed.

- I needed a toe adjustment after the wood wheel was installed. At first the dealer was going to take it off and try again, but I guess they re-read the installation instructions and went for the re-alignment (at no extra charge).

- If you're really really picky, the wheel mounted button assemblies for the radio volume/channel, and the cruise control may not line up as perfectly as they did on the original wheel. When I first got into my car, they weren't aligned, but I was able to wiggle them and get them straight. The pleather on the new wheel is of a little different thickness than the original wheel, so it has a slight affect. Most aftermarket things are never quite as "tight" as the factory.

-/+ The taupe wheel has dark grey stitching that I thought would look out of place with the rest of the car's regular grey stitching, but it doesn't. I like how the dots on the pleather tie in with the perforations on the door panel and seats.

I don't know if I've scared you off, but in the interests of full disclosure I thought I'd relate EVERYTHING about the experience.

I recommend it without reservations. I'll take the blame. I really want to know what I get when you wonder why you waited so long?

Rob144