Local Dealer Serves Gas Station Grade Coffee, getting ripped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Local Dealer Serves Gas Station Grade Coffee, getting ripped?

Okay.

So in California the Lexus dealer had like mucho yummy coffee, plus if you were an early bird a table full of muffins, etc. etc. to munch on.

Here the Acura dealer serves you up coffee from one of those coffee machine+coffee distributors that comes in barely better (if at all) over your normal cheap gas station coffee.

When I go there I feel like, dude, it's an Acura. What's with the Folgers? (not actually Folgers, just a point)

Does your Acura dealer serve bottom barrel coffee?

I suppose reality could be I may be saving so much on service that I could swing by the coffee shop on the way in

Maybe it's about atmosphere
Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Acura dealership here in Reno, Nevada has a coffee machine that has starbucks coffee which it grinds itself, freshly baked cookies from Otis Meyer, free water, free soda, free wi-fi, and a manicurest for the ladies during the day.

Anybody else has the same or different?

Also, customer service is there key motto, they really take care of you at their dealership.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
um...I don't remember seeing any Coffee at Acura of Manhattan. Hell, I've never been offered a loaner in 3 years.

I guess smaller towns actually have to treat you well to earn your business. Here...it's millions of people, who cares kinda policy.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by DandyG23
The Acura dealership here in Reno, Nevada has a coffee machine that has starbucks coffee which it grinds itself, freshly baked cookies from Otis Meyer, free water, free soda, free wi-fi, and a manicurest for the ladies during the day.

Anybody else has the same or different?

Also, customer service is there key motto, they really take care of you at their dealership.
Same thing you have, the General Manager of the Reno dealer was the GM at the Acura dealer here in Portland before that.

Coffee, tea, cookies, newspapers and loaner cars.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Safety Car

ahh, I envy you guys!!!

we pay 120/hr labor, what about you?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator

I think its 95 or 100 here. Worth every penny in my opinion, I've never had a problem nor do they try to oversell.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Safety Car

argh, we're really getting ripped off here I guess!!!

I got quoted 1.5 hours to install a pulley/belt. The next day receptionist told me she talked to two mechanics including a foreman and it's up to 2 hours now.

I look at UR website and it says 45 minutes for a pro and 1.5 for a n00b in home garage.

I dunno who to believe anymore.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Safety Car

and then survey time came around...and let's just say I let em know how I feel
Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

They're just going by what the manufacturer says.

There are different repair times for warranty, non-warranty for example.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
They're just going by what the manufacturer says.

There are different repair times for warranty, non-warranty for example.
different repair times within the same department?

I'm not convinced
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 037
different repair times within the same department?

I'm not convinced
Yes thats how they do things.

Different compensation for different 'types' of repair.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I agree that Acura should standardize the lounge / customer amenities.

My dealer has been stellar. Coffee, pastries, wifi and even an Acura tin filled with jellybeans in the car after service.

But labor costs cannot be standardized. They are market driven. You cannot get a Tech in NY metro for the same salary as you can in Reno. That translates into dealer overhead and the customer bill.

The same could be said for sales prices of vehicles. Just because someone got X deal in NY metro, does not translate everywhere else. NY metro has a history of decent Acura deals. We in Florida, traditionally were lucky to get $500 off sticker with an Acura. It was an unspoken no haggle expectation.

But times have changed, at least in this year. Dealers are trimming overhead and pushing to sell used cars (higher margin) over new. Service departments are often floating the dealership revenue needs.

Still....I think Acura should require standardized amenities for a franchise (coffee, snacks, wifi, loaners, etc). Perhaps some amenities are superfluous (nail care, neck massage, etc) and at the discretion of the dealership.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My dealer was also stellar. Free coffee, soft drinks, wi-fi, DirecTV, and of course, TL loaners.

I'll definitely be going back there when it's time for my next Acura.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'll definitely be going back there when it's time for my next Acura.
I keep noticing mentions of your next Acura, Bob.

Although I think the CTS-V is likely the best offering from Detroit, could it be that your mesmerizing-by-torque has a shorter shelf life than tried and true Honda engineering?

Could it be the CTS-V boards are not as intellectual and more one dimensional "torque is good" and the rest is pure caveman compared to the breath of topic and intelligent debate we mostly contribute here? Could you feel somewhat disloyal to the brand and your members here watching you visit less, call less and forget birthdays???

I hear whispers of homesickness from you. Perhaps missing your RL and facing your disloyalty to trading it too soon. I bet you still feel guilt from taking a puppy back to the pound sometime in your life past. Perhaps the sensibilities of Honda and Acura make MORE sense when away from them. Perhaps the carps we sometimes make are the very things you miss. Or perhaps the CTS-V is, in all the torquiness grandeur has revealed itself more a one note than the subtle, refined and balanced value that the RL has been.

All of us have had the Christmas toy we lay awake for weeks hoping to aquire, only to be bored before Christmas dinner and return to the worn but loved toy of Christmas past.

Each time you drop a hint of your next Acura....I hear that tune in my head.... "Things that make you go hmmmmmmm".

Fess up, Bob...the writing is on the wall.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

@ Tampa, you should be a writer for Car and Driver
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

@ Tampa, you should be a writer for Car and Driver

Thanks Ken. But I suspect your Christmas toy desire was more substantial than a Red Ryder BB gun. It likely was more of the AK-47 variety. And with that...you could shoot more than your eye out.

And it appears you have surfaced from the Honeymoon. When do we get to see the pics of the bride and groom? I am convinced there was ordinance in the nuptials.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, OP refers to Acura dealer in Asheville, NC

Kind of a medium size area. Asheville is close to 80k people. Add in the four surrounding counties or so, a little over 400,000 people.

And there wi-fi barely works, if at all. It's whatever signal bleed you can get from the Honda showroom across the way.

Last edited by phishfood; 10-08-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Thanks Ken. But I suspect your Christmas toy desire was more substantial than a Red Ryder BB gun. It likely was more of the AK-47 variety. And with that...you could shoot more than your eye out.

And it appears you have surfaced from the Honeymoon. When do we get to see the pics of the bride and groom? I am convinced there was ordinance in the nuptials.

I behaved myself

Scroll down, I posted a few pictures.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=740169&page=2
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Mine always has coffee, sodas, donuts, wi fi, flat screen, but cable, not Direct TV, a couple of work stations in case you did not bring your computer with you, newspapers and magazines. The coffee is from that filterfresh machine. You pick the strength, etc and it brews it for you through a filter. You can also get the hot chocolate.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

ok...to make matters perfectly clear.

I got 2 different quotes for the same job from two different people in service.

I appreciate you pointing out the obvious differences in labor/rent costs...but we're talking about the same dealership, the same mechanics, the same job, DIFFERENT PRICE.

ok...let's try a coffee example.

9am you check the price on the coffee, plain coffee, the only one they sell, all addons free, the cup is $1.50.

you only had a buck. 5 minutes later a co-worker comes in and said he just got one for a $1.00 from the very same vendor.

Does that piss you off?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Who did you talk to the first time? A receptionist?

If you talked to an actual Service Advisor the first time and they quoted you a lower number, they should honor that.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Safety Car

Who did you talk to the first time? A receptionist?

If you talked to an actual Service Advisor the first time and they quoted you a lower number, they should honor that.
First time I spoke with a Service Advisor, 2nd time I also spoke to another service advisor and then I referred her to the 1st.

At the end I got the 1st price and used a 15% off coupon which I pulled from google cache...they took down the original.

I win...they get a very crappy survey review.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing you have, the General Manager of the Reno dealer was the GM at the Acura dealer here in Portland before that.

Coffee, tea, cookies, newspapers and loaner cars.
That's right he did mention that when I purchased my 06 RL last year. Everytime I stop buy there they are all saying hi and shaking my hand and asking the family is going as well as the car.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer also has a coffee machine that has starbucks coffee which it grinds itself. Free water, free soda, and free wi-fi, plus two desktops in case you don't have your laptop. I got a tin of mints in my car after service...once. Also an old TV but recent magazines and current local newspapers. There's a small kiddie area with a video game (old PlayStation 1) and a few other toys.

As for service, I've never been charged more than my initial quote and I usually call a couple of other dealers and if I find a lower price, my dealer will match it. Free car washes but I won't let them touch my cars.

LL
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
My dealer has an outomated machine that makes cappucino by the cup, etc... and regular coffee, but you've got to get a token to do it. The upside is that they've got strippers from the bar down the street that hand out the tokens and offer chest & shoulder massages.

Hell, I don't even mind the $72 oil change fees anymore.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
My Service Manager has a sign in his work area that says "Its not my fault". What a great message that says.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Yeah, I'm a little homesick still. It took me a long time to let go of my RL, which was totally unexpected from this car gigolo (wine 'em, dine 'em, screw 'em, dump 'em ). I wish I could have kept both AND paid into my little one's college fund simultaneously, but I'm not in that income bracket.

I adore the V and it is the best American car I've ever seen or owned. Really.

But I miss some little things, like the fuel receptacle on the correct side (driver's side on all Hondas).
The turn and wiper stalks that are totally intuitive.
Bluetooth that allows me one button press and a single command to make a phone call.

Then I feel that instant torque, and all the doubts fade away as I get that press in the seat of my pants, hear that hot supercharger whine, and hold on to the steering wheel as the rear of the car slides out slightly on damp pavement before gaining traction. Just dyno'ed it a few weeks ago....471 whp. More than that, this car is evidence that technology has moved on since the RL was introduced five years ago. XM weather is great. 3D navi is so cool it's almost distracting. iPod integration into the head unit is so convenient. Ambient lighting at night....looks beautiful. The exterior design is simply badass....Acura needs to look at the CTS to understand how to pull off edgy design.

Don't worry, I won't have the V forever, and if Acura makes an RL worth buying, I'll be back.

And as long as my chosen Acura dealer keeps the freebies and great service, I'll be going back there. (Had to bring it back on topic!)

Happy Friday, all...

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I keep noticing mentions of your next Acura, Bob.

Although I think the CTS-V is likely the best offering from Detroit, could it be that your mesmerizing-by-torque has a shorter shelf life than tried and true Honda engineering?

Could it be the CTS-V boards are not as intellectual and more one dimensional "torque is good" and the rest is pure caveman compared to the breath of topic and intelligent debate we mostly contribute here? Could you feel somewhat disloyal to the brand and your members here watching you visit less, call less and forget birthdays???

I hear whispers of homesickness from you. Perhaps missing your RL and facing your disloyalty to trading it too soon. I bet you still feel guilt from taking a puppy back to the pound sometime in your life past. Perhaps the sensibilities of Honda and Acura make MORE sense when away from them. Perhaps the carps we sometimes make are the very things you miss. Or perhaps the CTS-V is, in all the torquiness grandeur has revealed itself more a one note than the subtle, refined and balanced value that the RL has been.

All of us have had the Christmas toy we lay awake for weeks hoping to aquire, only to be bored before Christmas dinner and return to the worn but loved toy of Christmas past.

Each time you drop a hint of your next Acura....I hear that tune in my head.... "Things that make you go hmmmmmmm".

Fess up, Bob...the writing is on the wall.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ballinger
My dealer has an outomated machine that makes cappucino by the cup, etc... and regular coffee, but you've got to get a token to do it. The upside is that they've got strippers from the bar down the street that hand out the tokens and offer chest & shoulder massages.

Hell, I don't even mind the $72 oil change fees anymore.
72 bucks, is that synthetic?

I am paying like $45...