L.A. Auto Show and Acura

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.A. Auto Show and Acura

It's all about presentation.

I just returned from the L.A. Auto Show and must say that Acura's showing was a disappointment. They have two models of each car on display (the RLs were the base models) which was OK, but the presentation was terrible (as if you were walking on a car lot is how the cars were arranged). I'm not sure how else to explain it other then saying there was no 'I gotta sit in one' feeling within the Acura arena. Imagine having two rows of four dominos 10 feets apart on ugly dark carpet; each domino representing an Acura model. Just too vanilla a presentation to peak much interest.

I will say that I was very impressed with the MDX and RDX. Fit and finish were superb as are the ergonomics. If I was shopping for another Acura, it would be the MDX (but they have to upgrade that dang rear-view mirror). Heads and shoulders better then the RX 350, X5, Cadillac SRX or the Infiniti SUV. But the TL and TSX on display (and the RL) are beginning to show their age. Of course, it didn't help much when you have Infiniti just steps away with a superb presentation of all their goodies. The RL and M35 were only 20 feet apart from each other which doesn't help Acura (Atleast Lexus was in a completely separate section and out of sight). Cadillac, Lexus, BMW, Buick, GMC - even Saturn had a much better presentation then Acura.

Side note: I'm still puzzled why Acura would have a three year old TL on display advertising their "certified" previously driven cars division. Its not easy to say this but I think in general, Acura has lost touched with the consumer in many ways.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Advanced

I totally agree. I wasn't at LA, but I saw the Philadelphia show for the last 2 years and Acura's was among the most boring/worst presentations.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Pro

Same thing for Acura in Tampa, very poor display.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:21 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda/Acura might build the best engineered cars in the world, but they sure don't know sh*t about advertising... or product presentation. Lexus has everybody beat hands down in this department.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Acura was built as a marketing organization. Promotion is part of marketing. Acura sucks at promotion. Doggone shame.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:14 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Looking at early TV ads and print ads you can see how great they were. Too bad it's not that way anymore.

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Acura was built as a marketing organization. Promotion is part of marketing. Acura sucks at promotion. Doggone shame.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Instructor

To add to my original post, their display of the items they WANT TO SELL YOU just plain ol' sucked! My 4 year old nephew can arrange Matchbox cars better then the job Acura did at the auto show.

But not just the exterior presentation was poor but so was the interior presentation of the cars (I only sat in the RL, MDX and RDX). The cars were clean, but the steering wheels were positioning so you can not see the entire instrument panel. Either the left side or right side was blocked from view while in a driving poistion. In one RL, the steering column wouldn't budge. Also...Cadillac, Lexus and Infiniti had the Nav systems on display AND working but not the RLs (which were the base models). One MDX did have their nav system working but again, that darn steering wheel blocked half the view of the panel.

About the only positive regarding the entire Acura 'arena' (besides the RDX and MDX) was the sizzling hot blonde displaying the Acura concept car. So my $10.00 admittance wasn't an entire loss.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Those folks have a piss poor eye for detail.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
We'll see if they improve for NAIAS in January. I plan to make the drive from Cleveland (in my RL, of course ) to see, among other things, Acura's display.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
We'll see if they improve for NAIAS in January. I plan to make the drive from Cleveland (in my RL, of course ) to see, among other things, Acura's display.
Let me know when you're coming to town for the show- maybe we can go as a group "field trip"!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

A buddy of mine went to the LA autoshow and confirmed what your all saying, "The Acura showing was a joke". He did say the luxury concept car was interesting.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
It's the same at the NY auto show. Lexus has a wall filled with JD Power trophies, a seating area, wood planked platforms, etc. The Acura stand was almost no different from the Honda stand, which was right next to it.

Not to mention all the Acuras had their shift knobs screwed off. I asked one year why that was, and the rep told me they're the ones who take them off because otherwise they'd get stolen. Superglue them on then, geez...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Advanced

They really don't spend anything for these shows. Even the cars are just borrowed from dealerships who then repair them and sell them as new after the show.

Honestly, I much preferred the Maybach display. Just one car surrounded with velvet ropes with a salesman doing constant demo/Q&A. Instead of representing the cars as small, medium, and large sedan and small and medium SUV, they need to show people what's inside them that makes them anything other than boring, generic near-luxury vehicles.

For crying out loud, they're selling the fastest car in the country, and I'll bet even people in this forum that own an RL don't know WTF I'm talking about!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Hence, the relative invisibility of the RL. As I'm sure all here would agree, this is a mighty fine automobile that the market doesn't know enough about.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's almost like Acura corporate doesn't want anyone to know about the RL.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
When is Acura gonna get a clue? They keep talking about wanting to move more up-market yet they haven't done anything about. All they have done was given us an overpriced RDX.

WHEN IS ACURA GOING TO UNDERSTAND THAT PERCEPTION PLAYS A BIG ROLE IN THIS DEPARTMENT??????

They make me so frustrated because they have so much potential yet they don't use an ounce of it.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't know if Acura really WANTS to go upscale. I think they want to rule the $30K - $45K market. I believe that the new MDX is as far upscale as Acura wants to go.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

It's almost like Acura corporate doesn't want anyone to know about the RL.

That's right, we own the ultimate sleeper car.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Undercover Slacker

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
They make me so frustrated because they have so much potential yet they don't use an ounce of it.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Why do I feel like I found the Amiga forums?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't know if Acura really WANTS to go upscale. I think they want to rule the $30K - $45K market. I believe that the new MDX is as far upscale as Acura wants to go.
No offense, but where have you been the past year? Pretty much every press release from Acura has had some sort of mention of their plans to move more up-scale.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, they've TALKED about going upscale, but I don't see any real action or results.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, clicked to soon. For example, there are blatant shortcuts in the MDX, such as fake wood and the lack of an auto-dimming mirror. Another example would be the lack of a passenger side power seat.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I must disagree. The BMW doesn't even come standard with leather and I don't see people putting them down. The MDX does come with a power passenger seat (you're thinking of the RDX), and an auto-dimming mirror is available as an option - just like many of the cars the MDX competes against.

I don't think of the plood as being a shortcut at all, it is like most cars. Now when you go from a car with real wood (RL) to a model without it that's what I call a shortcut.

There will be a TSX coupe, a new NSX to start. That will help. The RDX is upscale, and the TL is pushing 40 grand now. Big changes since the 2003 model year. And the RSX is dead.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Advanced

That's not real wood, but it's a great simulation!
Old 12-08-2006, 04:57 AM
Instructor

ahhh... we all complain now, but when they do reach that 'upscale' price, we're all gonna complain for the good old days when we could get an acura for under 50k... adn then go look for another car...
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

BMW has brand hype behind it, which Acura does not have. Therefore Acura has to go the extra mile. Also, BMW's cars (maybe not its SUVs) do have the advantage of RWD, perfect 50/50 weight distribution, the some of the best brakes in the business, and other features that compensate for the lack of standard leather seating, etc. Personally, I prefer to have leather seats, etc. as standard equipment, which is why I have an Acura.

Also, bear in mind that BMW isn't the goal, Lexus is. Lexus has been the top-selling luxury brand in the US for the entire 21st century. If Acura is going to emulate anyone, it should be Lexus. And granted, Lexus will make leather and wood an option, at least they have real wood and quality leather. Acura, on the other hand, offers fake wood and cheaper leather in their cars, even though it is standard equipment. The Lexus approach does give the general public (not experts and enthusiasts like we have on this board) a perception of luxury.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:53 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I still wouldn't say the MDX has 'blatant shortcuts.'

It is just interesting that when someone says BMWs don't come with leather it is because their brand can 'afford' to be cheap but when it is pointed out that the Acura does come with leather it is called 'cheap.'

I agree that Acura is not seen as being a luxury brand and some of its actions demonstrate why this is so.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

According to today's WSJ, BMW is the top selling luxury brand on earth. When you're in that position, and when people who don't know cars, but know brands perceive you as a luxury brand, then you can take shortcuts. Acura is the underdog, and the underdog must always work harder.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Instructor

According to today's WSJ, BMW is the top selling luxury brand on earth. When you're in that position, and when people who don't know cars, but know brands perceive you as a luxury brand, then you can take shortcuts. Acura is the underdog, and the underdog must always work harder.
I bought an RL because I know cars and wanted a safe, reliable, AWD sport luxury car. Reliable to me was key.

My friends with BMW's have lots and lots of problems .....that is the word on the street. True or untrue. Me, in my Audis...., lots more than lots. Just my experience. But I finally had it after 8 Audi's. Yes, 8.

A BMW says something and Acura does not, good and bad. If the 5 xi's were better looking and 20% cheaper, and reliable...so the same as the Acura, I would have gone BMW any day. I have the RL and love it....but it is more fun shopping for aftermarket in the BMW world by far...where are all the fun parts.....without numbers, there is not real aftermarket for Acura.

I love my RL and HOA should shoot the Acura PR types for doing such a poor sales job on all of their cars....all of them. The TL: without AWD, what is the point? Just my opinion. It looks awesome, perhaps the best looking small sedan out there....but it needs AWD imho to really zip....

JB
Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
The TL: without AWD, what is the point? Just my opinion. It looks awesome, perhaps the best looking small sedan out there....but it needs AWD imho to really zip....
I totally agree. One reason I'm in the RL is because the MMC of the 3G TL had no AWD, which I see as important.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I agree, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's extremely unfair. And :ibsomeonesays"Life'snotfair":