An Impressive Service Visit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 AM
A Saitama Garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Impressive Service Visit

So, I just got my RL and I can already tell the difference in service level between a TSX (which I also own) and an RL. I walked into my dealer yesterday morning and gave him a slew of issues that I shouldn't have had to deal with, esp. since the car was "certified."

He called me at 4p.m. with the following status on my car -
- Active Headlight Message on System - Replaced Headlight Control Unit
- Brakes Squeal at Slow Speed (TSB out) - Replaced front brakes and rotors
- Power Steering Recall - Fixed
- Plug in Left Rear PAX Tire - Replaced PAX Tire

I was quite impressed that all these issue were completely resolved without me having to push or request anything. Just Done.

Gotta love it!
Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It all depends on the dealership. I get service like that with my TSX.

But, glad they didn't give you any trouble getting those things fixed.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 PM
East Coast Crew

These techs get paid the same whether they are fixing the RL or the TSX....lol.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Which dealer did you bring your RL to? I'm not too from where you are...right down the street in SR, Va. I have a 06 but didn't know about the TSB for the brakes and rotors. I'm due for an oil change in a month or so, so I might have some of these TSB's done at the same time. Got my RL at Radley.

Originally Posted by Chuck091279
So, I just got my RL and I can already tell the difference in service level between a TSX (which I also own) and an RL. I walked into my dealer yesterday morning and gave him a slew of issues that I shouldn't have had to deal with, esp. since the car was "certified."

He called me at 4p.m. with the following status on my car -
- Active Headlight Message on System - Replaced Headlight Control Unit
- Brakes Squeal at Slow Speed (TSB out) - Replaced front brakes and rotors
- Power Steering Recall - Fixed
- Plug in Left Rear PAX Tire - Replaced PAX Tire

I was quite impressed that all these issue were completely resolved without me having to push or request anything. Just Done.

Gotta love it!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 PM
A Saitama Garage

I went to pohanka. And visuelz...who cares. Its the service level that matters. And its much better on the rl.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:32 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
my good friend is the service manager at the acura dealer i take my car to-I get extremely excellent service.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The level of service and a$$ kissing I get is night and day depending on whether I bring in my G/F's RDX or my RL, so different I even commented on it is the post service survey.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I get really good service, but it didn't change from when I brought in either of my TLs or my RL.

It's truly the dealer that makes the difference.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
UrLEGEND

I took my RL to the dealer for some warranty work. They gave me a POS domestic rental from a third party company which was also a 'mom &pop' used car lot. I had to be picked up and dropped off at the dealers? WTF!?

They did a good job on the repairs, but the whole rental thing made it a god awful experience. I recieved the survey call and I gave a poor rating in overall experience. The next day the service writer called me to get an explanation about the bad rating report. Without sounding and coming off as a prick I explained that Im coming in there with a flagship car in whole Acura lineup. How can you stuff me into an unsafe POS domestic disposable car. If Acura wants to be percieved as a bonafied luxury brand they also need to work or improve on the service department experience aspect, regardless what model you roll up in, and local demographics. IMO rentals is also a good way to promote sales.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RLuvr08
I took my RL to the dealer for some warranty work. They gave me a POS domestic rental from a third party company which was also a 'mom &pop' used car lot. I had to be picked up and dropped off at the dealers? WTF!?

They did a good job on the repairs, but the whole rental thing made it a god awful experience. I recieved the survey call and I gave a poor rating in overall experience. The next day the service writer called me to get an explanation about the bad rating report. Without sounding and coming off as a prick I explained that Im coming in there with a flagship car in whole Acura lineup. How can you stuff me into an unsafe POS domestic disposable car. If Acura wants to be percieved as a bonafied luxury brand they also need to work or improve on the service department experience aspect, regardless what model you roll up in, and local demographics. IMO rentals is also a good way to promote sales.
Agreed with respect to the fact that you're bringing in the Acura flagship for service so you should not get a domestic car from a third party rental agency.

However, since it bothered you to have a non-Acura loaner, I think you should have declined the loaner and told the service advisor when they offered you that loaner that if you wanted a domestic loaner, you would have bought a domestic car. Since you're bringing in a RL, you expect something in the Acura line as a loaner. At least give them the opportunity to fix the wrong.

My sister in West Palm Beach, FL had a BMW 3-series. When the dealer tried to give her a domestic car as a loaner, she told them in rather blunt terms that she bought a BMW, brought in a BMW for service, and expects a BMW as a loaner, period. They got her a BMW loaner.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:53 AM
Instructor

Well that sure didn't work for me when I had an Audi. First of all I had to pay for the rental of the vehicles but they were so gracious to give me a dealer discount rate. WOW what kind dealer service, I never got an Audi for replacement cuz it was from Enterprise.

Having said that my Acura dealer has been exceptional. My first oil change on the Acura led to the dealer loaning me an RDX for 4 hours, a car wash, and detailed report of inspection for a very reasonable price. Immediately following was a phone survey by Acura about the service experience or it might have been the dealer. In any event they are scared to get a bad mark. So far I'm thrilled with the Acura experience, especially compared to the Audi experience.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer gives Acura loaners. I got another RL once, an MDX once, an RDX once, but it's usually a TL. I really dont' care what it is as long as it's relatively new, clean, and doesn't smell like smoke. I just need it to get around while my car is being worked on.

I guess If I got an '82 Chevette, I'd be pretty annoyed.

LL
Old 12-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
My dealer has been as good as the Lexus dealer my family dealt with while the former GS was in the clan. But that is in service level and personability, the Acura dealership / facility itself is not at the level of the Lexus 'club room'. We do have a small lounge, Starbucks, muffins and donuts, wifi, etc. No expresso bar, neck massages or wine tasting.

But I must qualify some earlier statements I made (perhaps on another thead) about the loaners I have gotten. It was always an appointent, and always discussed prior with my SM what model Acura I would like. BUT this is part of the dealership's Owner's Circle privledges....meaning I bought my Acura from THEM. I doubt Acura owners who purchased elsewhere get the same perk with loaners and certainly not drive ups. My dealer has offered to pick up and return my RL (but then I miss the muffins!), and the porters are like upscale valets ("Mr. Acuraowner, that is sure a nice RL! We'll take good care of her...") And whenever I am in the lounge the salerep and manger always stop buy and chat. I have seen them actually soothe an irritated owner in for an unexpected repair (Never have I seen that before). Usually after the sale, they forget who you are!

Initially when I bought my RL the RL Owner's Circle got an RL loaner. The dealer later explained that they had no more RLs as loaners. The RLs were sold (as inventory was reduced some demand was created) and Acura was no longer offering RLs for dealership loaners (makes sense). Therefore and MDX would be the priority vehicle for RL Owner's Circle or a choice of models at the time the service reservation was made. I have driven them all now (and affirmed the RL is my vehicle of choice as well as not regretting trading the TL).

I find that very fair and reasonable. However the Owner's Circle is a dealership program and privledge, not an Acura standard (obviously). And this dealership, the people I have come to know there and particularly the Service Sept practices was instrumental in my decision to buy the RL when I decided to trade out of my TL. Otherwise I may be driving another brand right now. BUT I also have put ffort into familiarizing myself with the staff there and they all know me by name. My SM & tTech emails me periodically and usually it is just to say hello or ask when I will be in next to try out the muffins. And yes, I did stop by Saturday and wish them a Happy Holiday (and did you know those showroom floor models go out and play each night!?) The Outback Gift Cards for the SM and Tech are a small investment with big payoff in relationship management.

So the after sale experience is crucial to me in deciding my next car. I certainly understand and agree with those who dealership experience is less than premium and less than consistent. I think Acura needs to put dealership experience as a priority. It needs to be more consistent, more upscale and address policies for buy here / service here perks. I don't need neck massages, but do not want a crap shoot on service levels from store 'A' to store 'A'.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine's like a crap shoot..ugh. Even the costumer service reps aren't even consistent in what they say/do, and they sit next to each other

But they have wifi, which I'm surprised, and they also have letters/cards pinned up on a bulletin from people saying how great their service was, but I beg to differ.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Pro

oh yeah, I forgot to add that the dealer I went to got ALL my information wrong on the service sheet. Got my car's color, year, VIN, license, all wrong and a different guy's name is on the sheet. I didn't find out until I left, I seriously hope they're doing the things I want done. I have a strong desire to write them up to the Acura Client Services/Honda HQ...I don't know yet, they're courteous though, they just have really bad work ethics.

But I know that now I'm not going back there.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Well you do have a responsibility to yourself to share that with Acura when they call you for feedback. Or call them directly.

Acura 'rates' its dealerships on service levels and in some cases it affects the inventories and incentives offered to that dealership. Just be fair and remove your emotion in your feedback.

But also consider, if you ding the dealer...are you prepared to deal with them afterward? Plan B should be on your agenda.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Well you do have a responsibility to yourself to share that with Acura when they call you for feedback. Or call them directly.

Acura 'rates' its dealerships on service levels and in some cases it affects the inventories and incentives offered to that dealership. Just be fair and remove your emotion in your feedback.

But also consider, if you ding the dealer...are you prepared to deal with them afterward? Plan B should be on your agenda.
True true. I don't think I'm going to go through with that letter. Too lazy, I'm like whatevers anyway, I don't feel like 'wasting' my energy, and it's not THAT big of a deal now that I think about it. I'd just won't go back to them. Lesson learned. I've been to that dealer a couple of times, it's actually where I bought my car. I came back because I was hoping that I'd get a chance at a great service (considering I bought the car there). But that has not happened, and plus, they always seem to be changing service advisers so it kind of makes me wonder....

Also, I was kind of surprised when they said they needed to have my credit card for the TSX loaner. They didn't tell me about that on the phone, then again, I forgot to ask. And I asked them if I can bring in my credit card when I return the loaner and get my RL back. But no, all the service adviser said "dealer policy, blah blah blah" so I ended up waiting there, until my wife came to pick me up.

I'm not irate or anything at the dealer, I still thank them for their efforts, and smile and nod. But I certainly do not feel that degree of satisfaction in the inside.

Time to try Metro Acura next time! I'm like jumping dealer from dealer, haha.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:40 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It behooves a dealer to give TSX owners as good a level of service as RL owners... because someday those TSX owners might be back to buy an RL.

Sadly, lots of dealers don't understand that.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
My TL, MDX and RL have all equally received excellent service from my New Jersey dealer. Strange that your TSX experience was different from your RL experience from the same dealer.

From all I've read it's obvious that Acura experiences vary between the dealerships. This is the first I've heard that someone's particular model caused them to receive different quality service.

I will say that now that I've purchased 3 models from the same dealership the people there are giving me even more attention. Surprise discount coupons appear, free items from the parts department are given at times, etc. I do think that loyalty is a 2 way street and the dealership is quite smart to "go the extra mile".

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:53 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jftjr
It behooves a dealer to give TSX owners as good a level of service as RL owners... because someday those TSX owners might be back to buy an RL.

Sadly, lots of dealers don't understand that.
who knows...dealerships may be better off to suck up to RL owners who may later in life downsize to a TSX where the dealership can now make a decent profit
Old 12-25-2007, 10:57 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
True true. I don't think I'm going to go through with that letter. Too lazy, I'm like whatevers anyway, I don't feel like 'wasting' my energy, and it's not THAT big of a deal now that I think about it. I'd just won't go back to them. Lesson learned. I've been to that dealer a couple of times, it's actually where I bought my car. I came back because I was hoping that I'd get a chance at a great service (considering I bought the car there). But that has not happened, and plus, they always seem to be changing service advisers so it kind of makes me wonder....

Also, I was kind of surprised when they said they needed to have my credit card for the TSX loaner. They didn't tell me about that on the phone, then again, I forgot to ask. And I asked them if I can bring in my credit card when I return the loaner and get my RL back. But no, all the service adviser said "dealer policy, blah blah blah" so I ended up waiting there, until my wife came to pick me up.

I'm not irate or anything at the dealer, I still thank them for their efforts, and smile and nod. But I certainly do not feel that degree of satisfaction in the inside.

Time to try Metro Acura next time! I'm like jumping dealer from dealer, haha.
i am a former resident of Pa but now live in NC. I visit friends and family in Pa every few months and get my acura serviced at the dealer I bought it from (extremely excellent service) I had it serviced there in October then early this month I went to a dealer in NC to get it's annual inspection. I received a survey from acura wanting to know (since I went to two different dealers in less than 6 months) if I had a bad experience to switch dealers. it had alot of ? which I answered. Maybe if you switch dealers you will get the same survey (they e-mailed me it)
Old 12-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by acuralvr1
My TL, MDX and RL have all equally received excellent service from my New Jersey dealer. Strange that your TSX experience was different from your RL experience from the same dealer.

From all I've read it's obvious that Acura experiences vary between the dealerships. This is the first I've heard that someone's particular model caused them to receive different quality service.

I will say that now that I've purchased 3 models from the same dealership the people there are giving me even more attention. Surprise discount coupons appear, free items from the parts department are given at times, etc. I do think that loyalty is a 2 way street and the dealership is quite smart to "go the extra mile".

Merry Christmas everyone!
What dealer do you use? I go to Precision in Princeton. I didn't even buy my car there, but I get service coupons and free loaners with no problem. I have a TSX, not an RL, but it is true what someone else above said about treating everyone properly, because in a few years, I could very well be back for an RL, as it is a very nice car, but just a little out of my price range at this time.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Nice touch

Just returned from an early service visit for the MDX. When I picked up the car, an air freshener and a couple of mints were sitting on the console. Nice touch.

LL
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Well, I got an RDX loaner, which of course was very good service, but................... I disliked the RDX completely! The RDX's turbo is a perfect example of why Honda has never used a turbo before . Although turbo lag is small, as in all turbos the power comes with a bang and not necessarily when you want it to, like in the middle of a sharp turn. Although the engine revs high, the turbo gives out about 1500RPMS before redline, thus you end up with a high RPM dead spot . The ride is awful, it has short abrupt movements in all but the smoothest of roads . Some say its sporty, I beg to disagree since even my S2K has a better highway ride . I hope they fix it quick or euthanize it even faster, because it is the only Honda that I have not liked at all. As succesful as the redesign of the MDX was in addressing all of it shortcommings(in typical Honda fashion), its astonishing how unsuccesful they were with the "Acurafication" of the CRV. Specially, since the redesigned CRV is such a good (if slow) drive. My guess is that they went too far trying to "sportify" the CRV and drifted too far away from Honda's traditional "holistic integration" philosophy, it feels more like a "slammmed" car than a Honda.

Now that you have heard my rant on the RDX let me make an aclaratory point, the RDX is not a bad vehicle . It is just short of what we long time Honda traditionalists expect from a new Honda!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

When I bought my RL, I went with every intention of buying an RDX. Test drove it for about three hours (my sales guy was busy and threw me the keys and told me to come back later). Like you, I didn't like the ride. The engine, while strong, sounded strained. No power passenger seat. No keyless entry/start. Harsh ride. Very cheap feeling rear seat folding mechanism. Too much not too like. I then drove an MDX, which I liked a lot...but I already have an '04 MDX so I took the RL home overnight, and the rest is history.

LL
Old 12-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
What dealer do you use? I go to Precision in Princeton. I didn't even buy my car there, but I get service coupons and free loaners with no problem. I have a TSX, not an RL, but it is true what someone else above said about treating everyone properly, because in a few years, I could very well be back for an RL, as it is a very nice car, but just a little out of my price range at this time.
www.bridgewateracura.com

Yes, free loaners available.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by acuralvr1
www.bridgewateracura.com

Yes, free loaners available.
Dang, they are 10 minutes from my house, but I refuse to go back there. They didn't give me the time of day when I went there to test drive, and I've heard from several people that they are downright rude to female customers (like me). Someone told me they were told to "come back with their husband."

It's been 3 years since I was there last, maybe they've changed.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lland
Just returned from an early service visit for the MDX. When I picked up the car, an air freshener and a couple of mints were sitting on the console. Nice touch.

LL
Sounds like they were dropping you a hint? Maybe a shower and a tooth-brushing are in order before your next visit?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gavine
Sounds like they were dropping you a hint? Maybe a shower and a tooth-brushing are in order before your next visit?
I'ts my wife's car. I guess I need to have a talk with her...

LL