If I Could Change Just One Thing On My Rl It Would Be......

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
really stretching it here, but to keep this thread alive..... auto headrests up (instead of just down).
Old 01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
I thought they did. IIRC, when installing my pedals a while back, the door was opened for while and the interior lights turned off. I closed the door and reopened it and the lights came back on.

Maybe I didn't say it correctly. I ment the map lights
Old 01-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
really stretching it here, but to keep this thread alive..... auto headrests up (instead of just down).
That is streatchin it man

Why would you want to put up the headrest if no one is sitting in the seats?
Unless you're one of those individuals that likes to scare the bajebees outta your passengers
Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
^ exactly the reason why. :P
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RL RT Joe
Your right! My kids left the rear lights on and I didn't realize until 3 hours later when I went back into the garage. They were still on. My Audi would shut the lights off after 5 or 10 minutes so no battery drain.

But one of the cool features of the RL is that if you hit the off light switch, all of the lights will turn off.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gdevine
Your right! My kids left the rear lights on and I didn't realize until 3 hours later when I went back into the garage. They were still on. My Audi would shut the lights off after 5 or 10 minutes so no battery drain.

But one of the cool features of the RL is that if you hit the off light switch, all of the lights will turn off.
I am surprised by this. This happened to me in my 1987 Legend. We went on a 10 day vacation, and I forgot to let the in laws know about this as the kids had a penchant for turning the lights on for entertainment while strapped into their car seats... The in laws found the battery run down, one day, went and replaced the battery only to find the new battery run down the next day or two.

In my 2G Legend, I noticed they fixed that little gotcha, by having the rear lights (map/reading lights) turn off when the ignition was turned off. You are saying that the map lights no longer turn off? I never checked that feature because the kids are now old enough that they do not play with the lights in the back...in fact, they drive themselves and are all angling to get into the driver's seat, and not the back seat.

I would expect the computer to shut it down after 30 minutes like our old mini van does! Seems like a step backward.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
+1 on the Automatic Starter !!!!
+2 , add that to my list.

I can see my car from my office, it's parked only about 50 feet away. I would LOVE to have it toasty warm on a frigid Cleveland winter evening when I leave the office.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Cruisin'

If I remember correctly, the lights will turn off (interior) if the doors are open after about 3 minutes. The map light will not. I also found this out the hard way but the only way you can assure that you will never have this situation, I believe, is to simply never leave the car without locking it. Locking it shuts off the lights.If you are prone to leaving the map light on, develop a habbit of locking the car when you leave and you don't have to worry about it.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I'd love to have the XM info button go forward and backwards. Drove 400 miles yesterday and frequently had to cycle the button through the windows to see the song title. I generally leave it on the artist name screen. Thus, to see the song title and then to return it back to the artist name screen requires pressing the button over and over until the artist name screen shows. A simple bi-directional button like how the search button operates would be nice.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd like the radio display to tell me which preset button is pushed. Also (and this should apply to all car radios), if I'm on one preset, pushing the same button a second time should switch to the second station assigned to that button instead of having to hit the FM or XM button again.

LL
Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
I'd like the radio display to tell me which preset button is pushed. Also (and this should apply to all car radios), if I'm on one preset, pushing the same button a second time should switch to the second station assigned to that button instead of having to hit the FM or XM button again.

LL
Depending on what you have the display set to, it does show you the preset.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Depending on what you have the display set to, it does show you the preset.
How? Couldn't find it in the manual.

LL
Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 AM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Better Things for RL

Night Vision Rear View Mirrors
Bigger Trunk Space
Auto Power off even in Auto Mode for Head Lights to avoid Dead Battery
Slightly better Mileage by 3-5 miles
Remove OnStar(I think it is already removed for 07 models)
Improvement in Avoiding Blind Spot.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sri_gondi
I guess I do not understand this. My headlights are always switched to Auto mode (turns on when it gets dark), and they shut off after 30 seconds once the ignition is turned off. What am I missing?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 PM

How? Couldn't find it in the manual.

LL
Are you referring to the secondary display at the top of the dash?

If so, just keep pressing the DISPLAY button on the center stack. It will scroll through different display options. I know for a fact you can get to a screen that shows "XM X-XXX".

The X to the left of the dash is the preset, and the one to the right is the channel.

I'm not sure if that shows up for regular radio.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Correction, the button is labeled DISPmode.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GoHawks
Are you referring to the secondary display at the top of the dash?
Yup...

Thanks. I'll play with it in the morning.

LL
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM

Yup...

Thanks. I'll play with it in the morning.

LL
Look at the pictures posted in the "2007 Base RL" thread. In those pictures you'll see what I'm referring to.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Bigger Trunk Space

Also you can set how long the headlights remain on after you leave the vehicle, by entering the MID setup mode. I think options are 15 sec, 30 sec, 1min.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
There is a small plastic square with a pin hole in it just behind the lighting/moonroof switch/onstar/homelink complex. That is one of 2 ANC microphones that monitor sound. Put your finger over that while the engine is running (preferrably while on the highway) and listen to the extra noise. That extra noise is the noise that is being blocked by ANC.

ANC works be emitting inaudible frequencies to counteract audible frequencies. If the sound being blocked were doubled instead, it still would not be deafening (or damaging). You have more of a chance damaging your hearing listening to an ipod through headphones or even to your RL stereo at half volume.
Close but not quite ANC, works by making antinoise. It takes the auible noise spectra and produces the same noise but in opposite phase thus cancelling the original waveform. Thus if the ANC was producing sound with out the corresponding real noise you would definitely hear it. Obviously its a moot point since it only produces sound when sound is present. The system is good but far from perfect. On the RL I can't hear it but on their noise cancelling headphones I can "feel" it it feels like a slight sense of fullnes with an almost inaudible hiss.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Going to the original question, I definitely think that there should be a high performance version (type S) . I don't care what type of engine it is as long as the car can hit 60 in less than 6 seconds and the quarter at 100mph or more. The car should also have high performance brakes (like the TL's brembo's) and the A spec suspension. If they can sell such a car at less than 60K it would definitely the elixir that RL sales need. It is hard to "sell" the RL as a luxury sport sedan when plenty of "family sedans" can use it as a whipping boy.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Bigger Trunk Space
Night Vision Rear View Mirrors - Do you mean auto-dimming side-view mirrors?

Bigger Trunk Space - This is possible with a change in look, but I'd prefer a more useable space. My VW had hooks for plastic grocery bags that cost next to nothing and yet were really handy.

Slightly better Mileage by 3-5 miles - You're talking less power, less weight (features), MUCH more expensive engine, or diesel conversion to get 3-5mpg

Remove OnStar - Why would you want this important safety feature removed? It's the reason I won't even consider buying an '07.

Improvement in Avoiding Blind Spot - Haven't seen a system I didn't want to permanently shut off yet. This and lane departure warning seem not to be ready for prime time yet.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:30 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Qest
Night Vision Rear View Mirrors - Do you mean auto-dimming side-view mirrors?

Bigger Trunk Space - This is possible with a change in look, but I'd prefer a more useable space. My VW had hooks for plastic grocery bags that cost next to nothing and yet were really handy.

Slightly better Mileage by 3-5 miles - You're talking less power, less weight (features), MUCH more expensive engine, or diesel conversion to get 3-5mpg

Remove OnStar - Why would you want this important safety feature removed? It's the reason I won't even consider buying an '07.

Improvement in Avoiding Blind Spot - Haven't seen a system I didn't want to permanently shut off yet. This and lane departure warning seem not to be ready for prime time yet.

Yes qest,

Auto dimming side View mirrors
My friend recently bought a VW Jetta. and I was surprised to see the trunk space in it. For this size car it is almost half of that Jetta
3-5 Miles May not be and expensive engine but a better tran could give us more economy like a 6 speed tran.
Onstar....Onstar people boasts that it will open the door if the keys are left inside..but my friend RL will never lock itelf if it has keys inside the car or in the trunk. And comming to rescue in case of accident...I would vote a 50% vote to it in that situation as I would imagine that I will be in a situation to call 911 via my cell phone.For this type of Build I dont think anyone would be a in a situation where they will unconsious...5* rating on all sides......Kudos to RL.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Qest

Matter of preference. In the 9 months of ownership, I have yet to use OnStar and I definitely won't renew once my one year is up.

The only way I would keep it is if I could buy a small amount of cell phone minutes that I could use in an emergency if I forgot my cell phone at home.

Happened to me once and I was lost without it, but I don't think you can have the phone service without going for a package.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I've used OnStar once, and I'd rather have it at least as an option than not have it. Hell, just the fact that they can track my car for a while after I get car jacked is worth it to me.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
After driving my daughter's Jeep Commander for the last few days, I really like the convenience of the driver's seat powering back when you turn off the ignition. This would be handy in the RL along with the steering wheel powering up.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob144
Tighten the turning circle, for goodness' sake. My G2 Legend was awesome in this regard.

The RL seats couldn't get much better IMHO. Maybe if they were cooled.

Rob144

Yep, I will never buy an acura sedan until they tighten the turning circle. Their SUV's are on par with the competition.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
After driving my daughter's Jeep Commander for the last few days, I really like the convenience of the driver's seat powering back when you turn off the ignition. This would be handy in the RL along with the steering wheel powering up.
What I do is set the memory settings so that when I open the door to get in, the seat moves back about 4-5". This saves on wear on the leather when getting into the seat. Once seated I hit the other memory setting which brings the seat forward to my driving position. I have the CLS but any car with 2 memory settings will do this.
My 95 Legend coupe had power wheel tilt-away when you turned off the ignition.

I don't have an RL, but I would really want cooled seats for this price range.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Racer

how come RLs dont sell that well??
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kappa821
how come RLs dont sell that well??
There's a thread discussing that very subject.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
3-6" more rear legroom. With the baby seat in place, the front passenger seat becomes quite cramped and totally unusable for long trips.