I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I wasn't paying attention.

I am new here, one week after picking up an '06 RL with 57k on it. Reading the passion everybody here has about their cars helped me see the light, so thanks to all of you.

My first Acura was an '01 CL. Great car, nice looking, sporty, but not really a performance car with FWD, torque steer, and all of that. I love the crossover concept so in '03 I traded it for the new Murano, which was a great car of a different kind. I was single and needed the utility. Married now with a 3rd baby on the way we traded it for an Odyssey (fantastic option if you find yourself needing one) and I inherited my wife's '07 Highlander which was a major step down from the Murano, but functional and dependable if boring. After a month of trying to convince myself how much I love being a family man and that the Toyota was o.k. I couldn't take it anymore.

I needed something that I could feel passionate about, but that could haul the kids in a pinch. An '03 MB E320 in mint condition was the front runner, but the repairs and RWD here in the snow belt gave me pause.

Then I found an RL on the lot of my Honda dealer that I got for a few cents more than they gave me for the Toyota, and I have been blown away by what a great vehicle it is. When I bought my CL the RLs seemed nice but stodgy; just luxury cars I thought. I live in an area with several Acura dealers, I have friends with all of the models except RL, and I see a lot of Acuras on the road, just not a lot of 2nd/3rd generation RLs. Oddly enough quite a few 1st gens are out there.

I don't know why I was so clueless about these great cars. So while it is nice to consider myself a member of an elite group who have found true wisdom, and it is rewarding not to be lost in a sea of BMWs, Audis, etc., I have to wonder why we seem to be such a selective bunch. Is it by design; does Acura intend RLs to be rarified vs. mass marketed? Why are they not promoting them more aggressively and selling a lot more?

Or am I just not paying attention?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
With the introduction of torque-vectoring and SH-AWD, the RL was decently marketed in late 2004 through 2005. For whatever reason, the marketing for the RL fell off the map. You won't even find one in their Style magazine that they send to owners. I know the Legend brand (same car different title after 1996) has always held value in Japan, but not so much here. Then again, I don't see a lot of advertisement for S-class, 7-series, A6, 7, or 8s, or the Equus for that matter. Only recently have I seen an Equus commercial. I think Acura knows its money is in the TL and TSX, and advertising the elite cars won't be a good return on investment.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Stucky, there's been a whole lot of discussion over the years about the very same question you raise. Good question.

If I were to try summarizing it in a few sentences, it's a car you have to live with to appreciate. On the surface, shoppers see a car that's the same size and (except for SH-AWD) specs as the TL, which goes for $10,000 less. It isn't huge, isn't RWD and doesn't have a V8, so people figure it can't be worth the money.

Another self-inflicted blow was the mistaken decision to change the name from Legend to RL in America (it's much more popular in Japan, where it's still called the Honda Legend), and Acura's total abandonment of the car starting about a year in, and the result is the anonymous mystery machine that's now in your hands.

It's not that Acura intends to not sell RL's. But the RL is designed and built (incredibly well) in Japan for an audience of Japanese executives, while the TL is designed and built in America for mainstream American sport-sedan tastes. Unsurprisingly, the TL sells much better here and the RL much worse.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with the price point and image. Acura doesn't carry the prestige of MB, BMW, or Lexus (for some reason). The hp rating is fairly low for the luxury class, and until you actually experience SH-AWD; you don't realize that it's not just an acronym. Personally, I think it offers the best all around value at the $45k mark. On the used market, nothing even comes close. Just a mystery, but one we can all enjoy with a smirk and sense of smug satisfaction

And sorry to derail, but you're having baby #3 at 49 years old? How do you have the energy?? I'm 31, and my two kids run me ragged!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rlstuck, congrats on #3 baby.

besides that point.
I have to agree with every one on here about the rl's name and level of pricing. where i live i see tl's every where. adults, old ppl, and young adults have these. shoot the east coast is known for tl land. its rarely you see a rl. i have owned a 6sp tl and when i had all i would see is tl so i wanted out. lol. now that i have rl i see 3-5 rls here and there but its rare. but im happy with the choice i made. i test drove infinity m45 a g35 and bmw 3 series and lots of other cars. i have even owned a Mercedes ML and e class and had a lexus is 250 but the rl is better choice i have made from all the cars i have owned. just the sh-awd is what gets me all the time.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
I am up to 12 or 13 '05+ RLs I have seen on the road. The only car I seem to see less and would expect more is the Lexus LS. But at $60k before options, I think only Lexus admirers would buy that car. I see 7-series probably 4 times a week. I was thinking two weeks ago how I never see S-Classes, but the next day I saw two within 5 minutes.

Tony is right about the name. A few people here said they never got a complement or comment on the car until they put on the OEM Legend badge. Then suddenly everyone was interested that they brought back the Legend. The RL is exclusive, and frankly I don't mind if everyone else doesn't know.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm smarter about car choices than fatherhood at what the doctors label advanced paternal age. It is my wife's fault; the same one that gave me the Toyota in the first place.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
<-----Big 2G RL fan even as a former owner

Welcome to AZ and you have an excellent choice in the RL. It is Acura's best-kept secret....and the way they are marketing it, it will remain a secret till the end of time. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, or they'll start buying RLs.