I compare my 2005 RL, 2006 M45 and 2007 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I compare my 2005 RL, 2006 M45 and 2007 ES350

Dedicated internet automobile forums provide a wealth of information to owners of automobiles. Unfortunately, some posts submitted by fan boys add nothing of a positive nature to the forum but instead viciously attack and denigrate advocates of other makes of automobiles. I consider these posts nothing more than written by immature, unintelligent and mean spirited asses.

I am a car enthusiast. I have owned cars of differing body styles, engine sizes and types of transmissions. I enjoy owning cars, I enjoy driving cars and I enjoy reading the comments about cars issued by other enthusiasts.

Based on personal experience, I pass on to others my opinions about the cars I have owned. I try to be objective but at times my bias for or against something is displayed. To forewarn others of my bias, I preface my remarks stating that they are subjective and based upon my personal opinion.

Now, to the purpose of this thread, as if this point in time, I have owned and driven my 2007 Lexus ES350 long enough to make comparisons between it and two former cars I owned the two years before I purchased the Lexus. In 2005 I owned an Acura RL. In 2006 I owned an Infiniti M45. In 2007 I purchased my Lexus.

I select my cars after extensive research. Once I decide on a particular car, I obtain pricing from local dealerships. Next, I compare the lowest local price with those offered by dealers in California and Nevada (adjacent states to my home, Arizona). I then make my purchase from the dealer who offers the lowest out the door price.

Although the RL, M45 and ES350 differ in engine size and drive train, each is comparable to the other in most other ways. All were equipped with similar features.

2005 Acura RL 6 cylinder 300hp 3.5 liter SH-AWD (paid $47,886).
2006 Infiniti M45 8 cylinder 325hp 4.5 liter rear wheel drive (paid $52,522).
2007 Lexus ES350 6 cylinder 272hp 3.5 liter front wheel drive (paid $42,243).

From this point, everything I say is SUBJECTIVE! I recognize and respect that some will take issue and advance their opinions. Good. I welcome a decent and spirited exchange of views.

I believe that all three of these cars were well worth the price I paid for them. Each has been reliable, failure free and a pleasure to own. The following are my SUBJECTIVE observations about these cars:

The RL is feature rich and luxurious. I loved every moment I owned it.
It provides the best handling of the three.
It provides more stability than the others.
It has the most intuitive and best-working navigation system.
It delivers more detailed and better driver information on the screen.
It has the best interior lighting system.

The M45 evokes visceral sensations and is the most exciting to drive.
It is fastest out the gate and accelerates with verve.
Its interior is the most elegantly appointed.
Has the best paint finish.
Has the best head-light system.
Has the best voice recognition system.
Has superior brakes.
Its tire pressure monitor system is the most informative system.

The ES350 is stylish, the most sedate, quiet and comfortable of the three.
It accelerates and cruises quickly with ease and safely.
It is clearly the most fuel efficient of the three.
It has the best fit of hardware.
It has the best bluetooth system.
It has the best home-link (garage opener) system.
Its electroluminescent instrumentation is the most visible night or day.
It has the finest audio system.
Its heating/cooling seats are fractionally better.
It has the most outstanding camera, front and rear avoidance system.

There are many, many more features and/or attributes that each of these fine cars provide. But, the ones I have listed were the most important ones to me.

For the final car I would every own and drive, I would choose the Lexus ES350 over the Acura RL or the Infiniti M45. I like the layout of its dashboard controls, the way I fit in the driver’s seat, the smooth and quiet drive and the power at my pedal when I need it. Lastly, I cannot help but smile at the pump after which I get between 22mpg in the city and 31mpg on the highway. I also really like the lines of the ES350. The Lexus simply looks elegant to me.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Hey, Shep. I guess I had lost track of your having migrated to the ES.

As an "also-owner" of the RL and M45, and having had a Lexus IS and now LS, I mostly agree with your observations.

But I personally haven't found the VR system in either of my Lexuses to be nearly as good as the RL's. Mine have both had problems understanding numbers and certain commands. I had some issues with the Infiniti's VR, as well, but it was mainly due to road noise at speed. And there are fewer things you can do via VR in the Lexus. Has your experience been that much different?

I'm puzzled by your references to the TPMS, too ... both the RL and the M show each tire and the pressure of each, so they seem to me to be on equal footing.

Ditto for the headlights. I found I needed to adjust the M's headlights rather urgently, as they were set 'way too low from the factory. But once adjusted, they seemed to me to work no better or worse than the RL's. Is it the color temperature of the HID's that you refer to?

Other than these things, I'm on board with you. But as you said, some of these things are subject to personal preference and opinion.

Thanks for the observations - I agree we can all gain from the experiences - and even the opinions - of others.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The ES350 was on my shopping list in 2006 before I decided on the RL. I found the driver's compartment very confining, and the seats lacked thich support (at least without the cushion-extending option). The driver's door armrest in the ES350 is too close and too short to be comfortable for me. I love a "grab handle" on the door like the RL has, plus the wide driver's door armrest on which you can easily rest your entire forearm.

My wife, on the other hand, put the ES on top as the car she'd rather be a front-seat passenger in, with the RL second. The ES certainly has the RL beat on back-seat room and trunk space and fuel efficiency (I have to work hard to get 15mpg on my surface-street commute). The backup camera on the ES was also extremely sharp and clear. I also liked that you could watch a DVD movie on the NAV screen while parked, and there was nothing to argu about with the sound system. The bluish dashboard was interesting, but I wasn't too keen on the assymetry of the whole affair. One of the examples I test drove creaked in the console.

The RL was the first new car I've purchased for my own driving.....ever! Being able to start with a clean slate meant I didn't have to compromise on some of the little things that affect day-to-day commuting, like armrests, and what I consider the best driver's seat around (among many other things).

I think the current ES (and even the previous ES330) makes an appealing used car -- which is what a lot of people think about the RL. Some cars that I wouldn't consider buying new become quite attractive on the pre-owned market for some reason. Perhaps the compromises are diminished by the lower price and circumstances of buying pre-owned.

Rob144
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Hello Mike

It is always good to read your comments. I had better luck with the M45 VR system than either my RL or ES. The ES is a chore for me. No matter how I try to be clear with numbers or words, the VR gets it wrong. My problem with the RL was that I could never use the VR well enough to give verbal commands for phone use.

I simply like the TPMS display in the M45 better than the RL. The graphic is excellent. The system in the ES only displays when low pressure is present and does not identify all four wheels (or the spare) individually.

I found no problem with either the RL or ES head lights. My M45 lights were good to go from the start. The color allows better illumination for my old eyes.

My biggest complaints about the ES are the overhead interior lighting and the fact that I cannot input new settings while the car is in motion. Perhaps, this is a minor thing for many but to me it is a source of irritation.

You might be interested in that I have begun my research for my next car. Unless something occurs to change my mind, it is going to be a coupe. I am looking at both the A5 and S5, G37, 3 series, SLK550.and yes, the SC430.

It has been a number of years since I owned the German cars. My main question about them is reliability. My Audi’s, BMW’s and Mercedes were in the shop much too often.

Regards
Old 01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Rob, your comments are quite interesting to me. Where as the cockpit and its setup is too cramped for you, it is perfect for my body size. In addition, I like an underestated dash with easy to find controls. I must admit that my appreciation of car interiors has changed over the years. At one time, I HAD to have a large interior. No so today.

I have read comments in another forum from ES owners complaining about creaks and transmission problems. Fortunately, my car has not had any problems so far. I sometimes wonder if the way a person drives creates these problems.

Good luck with your RL. I think it a very fine automobile.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for your comments, shepsan. Very astute observations all. I think you and Mike are vying for the title of most cars driven in five years.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by shepsan
Hello Mike

It is always good to read your comments. I had better luck with the M45 VR system than either my RL or ES. The ES is a chore for me. No matter how I try to be clear with numbers or words, the VR gets it wrong. My problem with the RL was that I could never use the VR well enough to give verbal commands for phone use.

I simply like the TPMS display in the M45 better than the RL. The graphic is excellent. The system in the ES only displays when low pressure is present and does not identify all four wheels (or the spare) individually.

I found no problem with either the RL or ES head lights. My M45 lights were good to go from the start. The color allows better illumination for my old eyes.

My biggest complaints about the ES are the overhead interior lighting and the fact that I cannot input new settings while the car is in motion. Perhaps, this is a minor thing for many but to me it is a source of irritation.

You might be interested in that I have begun my research for my next car. Unless something occurs to change my mind, it is going to be a coupe. I am looking at both the A5 and S5, G37, 3 series, SLK550.and yes, the SC430.

It has been a number of years since I owned the German cars. My main question about them is reliability. My Audi’s, BMW’s and Mercedes were in the shop much too often.

Regards
Don't I recall that the '05's had a VR issue that finally got resolved? maybe yours was pre-resolution (?)

I agree the TPMS on the M is awesome:

I can see the pressures with my LS, but like you say, it is just a stacked set of numbers that doesn't correlate to any particular tire (except the spare, which is the first number).

(Sorry - took this one before it got through checking the last tire.)

Good luck on your next purchase - I'm not a coupe guy, so I can't give you any guidance.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus ES350 is the best selling near luxury car made. I admire your choice. The only reason why I dont own an 08 ES ultra is because my local dealer failed to live up to a verbal committment. That being said, I think the RL is a better value (with deep discounting)...though the ES has the best ride of any vehicle under 50k (sticker)...the RL handles much better. The ES electroluminescent gages are first rate...the RL's are nice.

having just gone through a flat, I can appreciate the near standard equipment of the full size spare on an aluminum wheel for the ES
Old 01-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Shepsan,

Great write up! Thanks for the insight.

I cannot believe how often you change cars! If you go to a German car next, I would love to hear how they hold up. I have a friend who is convinced her next car is a bimmer because it has the $0 for 4/50K miles maintenance guarantee as the main reliability selling point...although as I point out to her, just because they say they will pay for maintenance does not address reliability. The car could still be in the shop for several days under warranty repair, etc.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Advanced

We all have certain passions in life. Besides my wife, my passions have been the Navy, my business career and cars. My love of cars began when I was a teen in the 1940’s. Then, I helped two older neighbor boys build a hot rod. Since then, I have owned or leased thirty-nine used and new cars.

Since 1988, I obtain a new car and retain it for a period of fifteen months to two years (regardless of mileage driven).

I am a good trader and receive top dollar for my cars because they are always in excellent condition when I dispose of them. Since 1988, the cost for me to own a new car for the amount of time it is with me (18 months to 24 months) has averaged $5,500 or $229 to $305 per month. Some might think this extravagant. But, it keeps me in a new car all of the time.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:52 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of us use our own strategies to get in and out of cars. Mine is 3.5 to 4 years and I have done well. My goal is to lose only 3k a year including cost of sales tax. I am projecting my RL escape will cost closer to 4k...oh well, I am very happy with the car. Years ago when we had super high inflation I would own my Hondas for only two years. Believe it or not, I sold one used 2 year old Civic for $400 more than I paid for it. If you know cars and shop hard, you can get great deals...Its easy to sell for youself a virtually new car in perfect condition with lots of factory warranty left.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Advanced

It appears that you have a good strategy going.

I got excellent returns on my four former RL’s. My last one, the 2005 RL was purchased in January 2005. As stated, I paid $47,886. I sold it in April 2006 to a private party for $47K cash. Considering that I paid $47,886, it only cost me a pittance to have this fine car for fifteen months. I had no out-of-pocket repairs, a free oil and filter change from the dealer, paid for mfg recommended oil and filter changes and then only for fuel.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Why did you have 4 RLs?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Why four RL's? Simply because I thought them the best car I could buy at the price I wanted to pay.

For the model years I purchased, I considered the RL complete packages better than the stock models with options offered by Audi and BMW. I thought them better driving cars than the Infiniti and the Lexus.

I had 1997, 1999, 2001 and 2005 model years. Each one was a fine car.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

My 2007 ES350 had 2 transmissions and was repurchased by Lexus as a lemon, but it seems like most of those problems are dying down...