Hyundai Genesis VS RL

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ssim3
Sounds like soeone has been hanging out on the e90 boards with my car is great and all others suck.
Maybe you didn't notice but this is "AcuraZine", not "HyundaiZine" or "LexusZine". The Hyundai-centric topic should have been locked from the beginning, as should any Lexus-centric topic dominated by the know-it-all from Texas.

I'm no blind Acura-fanboy either. You don't find me over at other forums talking about how great my Acura is and antagonizing the other brands' owners. Some people just can't pass up a chance to rub their superiority and knowledge in others face I guess.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
Maybe you didn't notice but this is "AcuraZine", not "HyundaiZine" or "LexusZine". The Hyundai-centric topic should have been locked from the beginning, as should any Lexus-centric topic dominated by the know-it-all from Texas.

I'm no blind Acura-fanboy either. You don't find me over at other forums talking about how great my Acura is and antagonizing the other brands' owners. Some people just can't pass up a chance to rub their superiority and knowledge in others face I guess.
Gee, Boston, I don't recall rubbing you the wrong way, but you have a LOT of pent-up aggression going on.

I don't know why you have your panties in such a wad, but this ain't your forum, and other people actually do have the right to post here. I guess if it bothers you for others to actually (gasp!) participate in this discussion forum, maybe you should go somewhere else. There's an idea!

In the meantime, keep your shirt on or you're going to blow a blood vessel.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Whoa guys, no need for antagonism here. Nothing wrong with comparing the RL's competition.

I'm personally a bit shy about Hyundai quality myself as I was in college when the first Hyundais came to the U.S. , but let's give them credit for bringing a worthy RWD competitor with a V8 option well before Acura...which won't for at least another two model years. It's the American way , it's called competition......and if the quality is good, then all the better for Hyundai's rep in the market.

Can't we leave it at that?

BTW, glad to see you visit, Mike.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Gee, Boston, I don't recall rubbing you the wrong way, but you have a LOT of pent-up aggression going on.

I don't know why you have your panties in such a wad, but this ain't your forum, and other people actually do have the right to post here. I guess if it bothers you for others to actually (gasp!) participate in this discussion forum, maybe you should go somewhere else. There's an idea!

In the meantime, keep your shirt on or you're going to blow a blood vessel.

Yeah, because that's what you are doing, "participating in a discussion." How noble of you to descend from the mountain to come here and educate the unwashed masses with your knowledge and periodic updates about your Lexus. Can't thank you enough.

I know why I'm here. I actually own an RL. Why are you here? Maybe some more time over at the Lexus forums...or a hobby or something...might be in order for you.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 AM
AcurAdmirer

This is an informative thread. Sorry it's been taken off-topic and personal.

I went by my local Hyundai dealer yesterday and they don't have a Genesis yet. I don't know if they're being allocated based on dealer volume (this isn't a high-volume dealer) , or if it's just a matter of the time required to ship them all the way down south.

I'll check back, since I'm interested in seeing one up close and in person.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:56 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stop, stop, stop...I like the contribution of Mike...I almost bought an ES, but by virtue of a broken salesmans promise, I bought the RL instead...I respect the LS as one of the best cars made in the world. I would own an LS if I were rich. I am not rich, but I appreciate quality...and most of all, I appreciate someones opinion who has owned both cars. Mike wouldn't have spent an extra 20k+ for a car if he didn't think it was worth it. Yet Mike owned an RL for his last car. I want to hear the direct comparisons. I want to hear the pluses and minuses. In 3 years when I buy my personal next new car (which may be an LS) I want to hear his take on it.

All that I ask is that Mike reports things as he sees them and doesn't try to promote either car.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I guess it must be something in the water here in Metro Boston, but I'm on dwboston's side here.....why is it that people that don't own RL's (Mike_TX used to have an RL so he's got a reason to be here at least) come here?

I used to spend all my time at .com when I had my RSX Type S, and vtec.net when I had my Integras, but when I changed cars I've never have gone back to either. On those sites as well were people with non Honda products posting away. I don't get it.

I can see coming in here to ask questions if you're thinking about buying an RL, and I understand why this thread is here, although I will never be able to use Hynudai and the words luxury and build quality in the same sentence.(except for just now of course.)
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM
AcurAdmirer

Thanks, Larry and Lumpulus. I'm sincerely sorry if my stopping by here and commenting from time to time annoys some of the members. That's certainly not my intent.

As to why I come here:

- I loved my RL, and I like the Acura brand.
- I enjoy most of the people here, and I respect their views and opinions.
- Having owned 3 Acuras, I feel I occasionally have something of interest to offer others.
- All things automotive interest me, and I regularly check in on a number of different car forums to see what's going on.
- I am always shopping for my next car. I get cars about every 24 months or so (sometimes sooner), so I'm always on the lookout for cars that I might consider for myself or my wife.
- I don't believe you have to be a current owner of any given brand or model of car to participate in a forum dedicated to it, and get and give information.
- Comparisons of different kinds of cars are the best way to find out what might interest you.

There are probably more reasons, but I'm late to lunch and will end it there.

I just expect everyone in forums to act like grownups and respect others' opinions and thoughts.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpulus
never be able to use Hynudai and the words luxury and build quality in the same sentence
Well, today you can use "Honda" and "luxury" and "build quality" in the same sentence. Yes, every time I (we) open the fuel filler cap I'm reminded that I drive a rebadged Honda (mind you, not that there is anything wrong with that ) .

Like Mike said, a while back that would have been unthinkable (I wasn't old enough but I believe Honda's build quality wasn't proven at first launch either, and neither was luxury even associated with the brand name).

And let's be honest with ourselves, there are people who would not have purchased an Acura (or Infiniti or Lexus) today if these cars hadn't been re-branded for the U.S. (and we all know why; market perception. Lets not forget 5 series and E classes are used as taxis and squad cars in Germany, for example )

Genesis/Hyundai is doing exactly what her Asian brethren did, and she is doing it well and at an alarming pace that is making the rest of the gang rethink certain strategies. Like Bob said, if it takes an "inferior" and "non-luxury" brand to re-energize the r&d departments in the other top tiers, let it be so.

Oh and I'm new to this forum but I think there is nothing that states that it is an "RL owner only" forum (if I am wrong please correct me) and I welcome any past or non owners who bring insightful discussion to the table.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fafpak
Well, today you can use "Honda" and "luxury" and "build quality" in the same sentence. Yes, every time I (we) open the fuel filler cap I'm reminded that I drive a rebadged Honda (mind you, not that there is anything wrong with that ) .

Like Mike said, a while back that would have been unthinkable (I wasn't old enough but I believe Honda's build quality wasn't proven at first launch either, and neither was luxury even associated with the brand name).

And let's be honest with ourselves, there are people who would not have purchased an Acura (or Infiniti or Lexus) today if these cars hadn't been re-branded for the U.S. (and we all know why; market perception. Lets not forget 5 series and E classes are used as taxis and squad cars in Germany, for example )

Genesis/Hyundai is doing exactly what her Asian brethren did, and she is doing it well and at an alarming pace that is making the rest of the gang rethink certain strategies. Like Bob said, if it takes an "inferior" and "non-luxury" brand to re-energize the r&d departments in the other top tiers, let it be so.

Oh and I'm new to this forum but I think there is nothing that states that it is an "RL owner only" forum (if I am wrong please correct me) and I welcome any past or non owners who bring insightful discussion to the table.
Hyundai crapped in its own nest with the problematic Excel and Elantra. Rife with quality issues, it threatened to shut down the company. I don't recall this happening to Honda, Datsun(Nissan), or Toyota.

Hyundai is to be commended on the quality comback, but to dismiss their early failures as "all the asian companies went through the same growing pains" is off the mark. I personally will never own one.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by robarsan
Hyundai crapped in its own nest with the problematic Excel and Elantra. Rife with quality issues, it threatened to shut down the company. I don't recall this happening to Honda, Datsun(Nissan), or Toyota.
Aw, no, you HAD to go and mention the craptastic Excel. That certainly was the Yugo of its day, wasn't it? Hyundai has come a long way.

Last warning about the personal stuff. Anyone can come and post here. I mean, jeez. You don't have to own an RL to be an enthusiast, which Mike is. If people thought they shouldn't post in a forum where they didn't own the car, places like Acurazine would shut down for lack of page hits.

Please behave like gentlepeople. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dwboston

dwboston, the diatribe you directed at Mike demonstrates a lack of maturity on your part as well as your failure to recognize the benefits that automobile forums such as Acurazine provides to the first-time car owner as well as to the long-time car enthusiast.

Even though I have a wealth of knowledge about automobiles, I read posts and contribute in many forums dedicated to different automobile brands. I do so because I want to keep up with the advancements in those brands as well as the problems they have. What better way to do so than by reading comments made by owners of these cars?

In addition, I try to pass on things I have learned about an autombile I have owned so that others might benenfit from my experience.

In many of the forums I frequent, I have come across postings by Mike_TX. His comments have been not only interesting but informative and at times even amusing. I have learned a great deal about different models because he has owned many different models and communicates his knowledge to other in clear language. I have also been able to compare my findings with his since we have owned the same models from time to time.

What I am attempting to get through to you, is that you are short-changing yourself because of your poory attitude. Instead, of criticizing others who might have a different opinion or perspective than you, I suggest that you keep your anger in check, your mouth shut and learn from their experience.

Quit wasting your energy on angst and instead direct it towards developing a more gracious demeanor.

Lastly, I believe you owe Mike an apology. It would be a first step towards your maturity.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shepsan
dwboston, the diatribe you directed at Mike demonstrates a lack of maturity on your part as well as your failure to recognize the benefits that automobile forums such as Acurazine provides to the first-time car owner as well as to the long-time car enthusiast.

Even though I have a wealth of knowledge about automobiles, I read posts and contribute in many forums dedicated to different automobile brands. I do so because I want to keep up with the advancements in those brands as well as the problems they have. What better way to do so than by reading comments made by owners of these cars?

In addition, I try to pass on things I have learned about an autombile I have owned so that others might benenfit from my experience.

In many of the forums I frequent, I have come across postings by Mike_TX. His comments have been not only interesting but informative and at times even amusing. I have learned a great deal about different models because he has owned many different models and communicates his knowledge to other in clear language. I have also been able to compare my findings with his since we have owned the same models from time to time.

What I am attempting to get through to you, is that you are short-changing yourself because of your poory attitude. Instead, of criticizing others who might have a different opinion or perspective than you, I suggest that you keep your anger in check, your mouth shut and learn from their experience.

Quit wasting your energy on angst and instead direct it towards developing a more gracious demeanor.

Lastly, I believe you owe Mike an apology. It would be a first step towards your maturity.
My "poory attitude"? Nice english. Thanks for your unsolicited opinion though. It carries as much weight with me as Mike's sermons from the mountain top. Seeing as how you're such a big fan of his, maybe you could start a fan club or a website dedicated to his greatness. It would be a great repository for all of the pictures of his Lexus and his words of wisdom to us all.

I could not care less as to what you believe Mike is owed. Have a nice day.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dwboston

My English is proper, my typing is poor. For that, I apologize.

WEB Griffin has written, "The true test of another man's intelligence is the degree to which he agrees with you."

It seems that at times Mike and I agree with one another. Too bad that you chose the wrong line when they passed out both intelligence and manners.

A spirited debate is a joy. Acrimony like yours is simply a waste of effort and time.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shepsan
dwboston

WEB Griffin has written, "The true test of another man's intelligence is the degree to which he agrees with you."
It sounds like you and Mike are the smartest people you both know. Good luck to you both.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I see nothing wrong with anyone coming here and expressing opinion and sharing info. No one has said Acura is crap you must buy a Hyundai.

I think it is extremely relevant. Just ask Ford or GM if the introduction of Japanese brands has had any morsel of effect on their offerings and or business.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Wow this thread is still going on. My original post was to inform about the Hyundai as a bona fide alternative to the 09 RL. Many had expressed disappointment in the exterior look of the RL. There were some who had disappointment with the gas mileage. Having actually driven the Hyundai Genesis, I thought I would shave my thoughts as this is a automobile forum. Those that love the RL, nothing wrong with that. I like it too, that why we lease one. However I think a lot of us were a bit disappointed in the 09. There are other choices out there that bring value just as good as the RL. The Genesis is one of them.
The following users liked this post:
Sparky16 (03-28-2017)
Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people always have issues. Whatever. How's the Nav on the Genesis?

Originally Posted by dwest1023
Wow this thread is still going on. My original post was to inform about the Hyundai as a bona fide alternative to the 09 RL. Many had expressed disappointment in the exterior look of the RL. There were some who had disappointment with the gas mileage. Having actually driven the Hyundai Genesis, I thought I would shave my thoughts as this is a automobile forum. Those that love the RL, nothing wrong with that. I like it too, that why we lease one. However I think a lot of us were a bit disappointed in the 09. There are other choices out there that bring value just as good as the RL. The Genesis is one of them.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Time to close. Sigh. WTF is it this week with the rude posts?

Oops, made one myself.