Honda Legend KB1 full day test drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Legend KB1 full day test drive

Greetings from Europe. I own an Accord (1st gen TSX) but I've been reading the posts here in the RL section and all kinds of press releases and magazine reviews ever since the car was launched in 2004. I find the KB1 Honda Legend / RL very interesting with all the tech features.

Today I had a full day test drive of a 07 model and here are some thoughts and questions:

This is a beautiful car inside and outside, especially in black/black. That's one sexy ass! I don't see any "grandpa" in this car. I'm 29. But there's something about the front fenders and big headlights that need getting used to...

As many of you may know the EDM version has cooled seats, JDM shifter, rear deck spoiler as standard but lacks certain features like keyless entry and satellite radio. CMBS/ACC is an option just like in the US but most Legends here have it.

Car was equipped with studded winter tires which I'm not a fan of due to their very poor grip on dry/wet road surfaces. I prefer studless tires on my cars. Handling was therefore compromised greatly but I was still able to have lot of fun driving on curvy roads. SH-AWD certainly helps but on one tight corner when the car started to understeer I tried to test the system by increasing throttle but the VSA cut off power. Well, maybe the car knows better than me - safety first! I did do some donuts on an icy parking lot with the VSA off.

ACC was great but it can increase the risk of getting rear ended because of the way it brakes if someone changes to my lane in front of me, or in city traffic if the car in front brakes to make a turn and my car will brake too much to keep the distance. Is there a way to use the cruise control in a normal way without the radar? Sorry I didn't have time to read the manual. Also the MID wouldn't display the SH-AWD graph if ACC was turned on. That's odd. I use cruise in my Accord/TSX all the time, even in traffic where I keep cancelling/setting it again - maybe I'm just too lazy to keep my right foot on the gas pedal... Have you guys had any trouble with ACC in traffic?

Voice commands were fun. How many of you use the voice commands regularly for the climate control, radio and navi?

Suspension felt too soft at first but I got used to it quickly. My previous Hondas have been lowered or were Type R models with stiffer suspension so I would definitely drop the car and get some nice wheels.

I've never owned an AT car. I've driven some but generally don't like the way they upshift when lifting off gas. But the Legend's AT was very smooth and worked the way I liked. Finally and AT I could live with! The gas pedal seems quite sensitive when starting to drive from a stand still. Maybe it needs time getting used to.

MPG was 12 l/100km or 19.6 MPG. It did include city driving and spirited driving though. I won't complain about the MPG (V6 AWD needs to drink) but it's quite a lot more than the 26.7 I'm getting in my TSX 6MT not to mention the 30.9 from the last tank of gas (V-Power).

Should I make the swap? I don't know. Something inside tells me I should have a closer look at the A6, 5 series, E class and GS350. Or keep my TSX and get an AP1 S2000 which would be lots of fun for the summer. Even the -91 NSX's seem tempting. As for other cars, there are no Infinitis or Acura TLs here and the 2nd gen TSX doesn't interest me because in the end it's only a 4cyl FWD. I won't mention any prices because they are insane in my country. 55K Euros = $69K for a used Legend, they were $102K when new.

If I end up with the Legend/RL it would probably be a 06 model imported from Germany. Are these cars risky to have without factory warranty?

In the end of the test drive I noticed how there was nothing I didn't like about the car. It was relaxing to drive, seats were great, interior, overall quality (except for some sunroof rattle!)... everything was just the way it should. Is it worth the price difference compared to my current car? I'll keep watching the used Legend prices in Europe in the coming months...

Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Finland! Thats a new one! The car is great and IMO superior to is direct competition. Although RL's are very reliable compared to MB AUDI BMW, it is still a very expensive car to repair if something does break. I would have it thoroughly checked before purchase. If you want to really enjoy the RL in the snow try some michelin Pilot PA3, they have fantastic handling and superb snow traction! BTW to use SHAWD to its fullest, down shift before the corner and accelerate as you are going around, beware in the snow since if done aggressively the car will definitely oversteer. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
ACC/CMBS shows you a distance chart on the small window, that's why you can't see SH-AWD diagram. There is a button on your steering wheel right side bottom that allows you to change following distance.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the Honda emblems on the car! If I could, I would rip all the Acura emblems off and replace them with Honda and Legend.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Love that Honda grille. I still wish we could get the Acura "A" in there without it looking off.

As far as your review:

If you buy the car, make sure you have it inspected thoroughly, especially if you want to import it from Germany (e.g. you can't go look at it personally unless you fly there). As RL06tech says, the car is VERY expensive to fix, though it's largely reliable, especially 2006 (which you say you're interested in) and up. I suppose there's no aftermarket warranty available?

As far as the suspension....if you buy it, you can always buy an A-Spec suspension kit from the U.S. to firm up the suspension without losing ride quality. I can vouch for it and I agree with you....my last three daily drivers have been lowered, so like you I prefer the slightly firmer ride.

I also like the option of buying an AP1 S2000 and keeping the TSX. I own an AP1, so I'm really biased, it's the most fun I've ever had in my history of car ownership.