Hmm, no reflective triangle and no first aid kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I merged nocturnal's thread and my previous first aid kit thread together. The original post from nocturnal was as follows:

Audi packs a handy first aid kit in the rear seat armrest. There's an emergency triangle attached to the inside of the trunk lid so it actually becomes visible when open. I wonder why Acura doesn't copy some of these $10 features that make a car so much more complete.

There was a thread like this over in the 3G forum a while ago so I want to see how you guys feel about it. How many of you have some sort of emergency first aid kit in your RL? What does it consist of?

I know after my accident with the TL I have become much more cautious when it comes to these things and I have put together some things in my trunk including a general first aid kit which has various things from rubber gloves to asprin and everythign in between. I also have a blanket and glow sticks. All paired with my limited medical training I can be somewhat helpful in the event of somebody else having a sever accident around me.

I just saw a car catch on fire the other day with no fire extinguisher around - it took the fire dept 6-8 minutes to show up, so I imagine this would have been helpful (it was a small fire at first). I assume a fire extinguisher can be kept in the car - with the cold weather, correct?

What do you guys have? I know some people in the TL forums have gotten emergency hammers, fix-a-flat, matches and many other things.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
There was a thread like this over in the 3G forum a while ago so I want to see how you guys feel about it. How many of you have some sort of emergency first aid kit in your RL? What does it consist of?

I know after my accident with the TL I have become much more cautious when it comes to these things and I have put together some things in my trunk including a general first aid kit which has various things from rubber gloves to asprin and everythign in between. I also have a blanket and glow sticks. All paired with my limited medical training I can be somewhat helpful in the event of somebody else having a sever accident around me.

I just saw a car catch on fire the other day with no fire extinguisher around - it took the fire dept 6-8 minutes to show up, so I imagine this would have been helpful (it was a small fire at first). I assume a fire extinguisher can be kept in the car - with the cold weather, correct?

What do you guys have? I know some people in the TL forums have gotten emergency hammers, fix-a-flat, matches and many other things.

Here's a couple of sources for fire extinguishers and first aid kits. I've considered adding both but have not done so. These are just a couple of sources I'm familiar with and have catalogs for, so I'm not particularly recommending either. I'd be interesting in seeing what's available. Forestry Suppliers is out of Jackson, MS and if you are oriented towards working outdoors, their catalog is very comprehensive. BTW, I'm not connected with them in any way. Griots should be well known to anyone on this forum...those extinguishers are rather pricey...ouch:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...x=0&search.y=0
http://tinyurl.com/cj5lo

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/se...st%20aid%20kit
http://tinyurl.com/bobu5
Old 10-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,005 Likes on 534 Posts
My old '94 Legend Coupe had a little compartment in the trunk where I kept a first aid kit, small fire extinguisher and some cold weather gear. I wish my RL had such a compartment - I have stuffed a small first aid kit around the spare tire along with a towel and flashlight, but their is no real place to store a fire extinguisher.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

I put stuff in the cargo net I put in the RL - but there really isn't anywhere to put this stuff.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Always travel with a full emergency kit and electronic pump (for tire inflation, etc.) Both together take up tiny amount of room in the trunk. I use velcro strips to hold them in place.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Here are the things listed in the TL thread I was talking about:

Sears 71 piece roadkit (includes general first aid, jumper cables, toolkit)
5 ton tow rope
jumper cables
road flares
flashlight
can of fix-a-flat
bottled water
blanket
collapsable shovel
MREs
leatherman
spare rescue hammer (I keep another in the glovebox)

"It includes some hi-intensity glow sticks, aspirin for heart attack victims, pseudo-epinephrine and diphenhydramine for insect bites/anaphylaxis (I was pre-med and have not forgotten much), a cheap walkie-talkie on channel 19, a flashlight that powers using induction (no batteries ever), jumpers, extra fuses, a disposable rainsuit for changing a tire in mud if necessary, a big candle (for light and heat in winter), a small wool blanket, some butterfly closures/bandaids."
Old 10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
Here are the things listed in the TL thread I was talking about:

Sears 71 piece roadkit (includes general first aid, jumper cables, toolkit)
5 ton tow rope
jumper cables
road flares
flashlight
can of fix-a-flat
bottled water
blanket
collapsable shovel
MREs
leatherman
spare rescue hammer (I keep another in the glovebox)

"It includes some hi-intensity glow sticks, aspirin for heart attack victims, pseudo-epinephrine and diphenhydramine for insect bites/anaphylaxis (I was pre-med and have not forgotten much), a cheap walkie-talkie on channel 19, a flashlight that powers using induction (no batteries ever), jumpers, extra fuses, a disposable rainsuit for changing a tire in mud if necessary, a big candle (for light and heat in winter), a small wool blanket, some butterfly closures/bandaids."

Here's a good question.....Fix-a-flat....will that damage the TPMS sensors?
Old 10-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh, that is a good question. I didn't think about that - I am not sure.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Racer

Audi packs a handy first aid kit in the rear seat armrest. There's an emergency triangle attached to the inside of the trunk lid so it actually becomes visible when open. I wonder why Acura doesn't copy some of these $10 features that make a car so much more complete.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Honestly the simple answer is because it's an extra $10 multiplied by 20 thousand RLs which ends up being $200,000. It is like the floor mats - only the drivers side has a rubber back - the others are like paper. Cost cutting measures displayed.

I put my own first aid kit in my trunk and I am looking for a fire extinguisher. I have a few tools, blanket, sweatshirt, fix-a-flat, glow sticks and a bottle of water back there also.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Racer

Well I understand that any $10 option ends of costing serious money when looked at it in an absolute sense but percentage wise it's still negligable.

I have a small toolbag with 'survival' goodies in the back as well. Perhaps it's useful to turn this thread into one where we can list what we carry just in case:

In trunk:
- fire extinguisher (need to replace, it's getting old)
- rain suit (pants/jacket)
- reflective vest
- water (always have a tray of Costco water that I use so it never gets stale)
- rope
- zaino spray (bug/bird crud remover)
- tools (need to redo this box and get all the sizes I need)
- towels

In glove box/armrest:
- flashlight (Streamlight dualtask, uses Lithium battery for long shelf life)
- reflective arm band
- electronic glow stick
- compas
- portable GPS
- microfiber cloth

Need to get:

- triangle
- first aid kit
Old 10-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Those are all good things to have. I don't have things such as the rain suit, reflective vest, rope, zaino spray, fire extinguisher, portable GPS and the triangle. I will probably get all these except the portable GPS.

I hope you don't mind, I started a thread like this a couple days ago - I am going to merge the two together as they cover the same topic.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Racer

Sure, that's fine.

I just got a triangle and 3 flares for about $12 at Walmart. So that part is taken care of. I liked some of the suggestions in here, thanks. I only cary the GPS because I had one already and it seemed useless to keep it at home.

Of course emergency supplies depend on the typical routes and season. On my my commute I'll always be within 5 miles or so of a gas station or other place with supplies. When I go on longer road trips I take along more stuff. Of course it's earthquake country here so there is a chance the car becomes my homebase until I can get back home. Probably should put some MREs, gloves and other stuff in there too. I typically wear shoes that are suitable for walking so that shouldn't be a big deal. The rain suit doubles as shelter on my way home (I'm assuming I'll have to walk). Come to think of it, I should pack this stuff in a backpack rather than a tool bag.

Now if I was paranoid I'd always pack heat in the trunk too
Old 10-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Look - the banner ad is for emergency survival kits.

MREs? I think somebody told me what this was before but I forgot.

Flares are a good idea also - I didn't think of that.

How big is the fire extinguisher that you have? I am just curious. The only reason I even thought of this was because last year this car caught on fire in front of me and there was nothing I could do. Needless to say the STUPID parents in the car FORGOT their baby was in the back seat. I suppose it's good I asked them if anybody else was in the car, eh? They were so shaken up. but wouldn't your child be the first thing you worry about? The father was screaming about his car on fire and couldn't do anythign to save it. Sorry - a little off topic.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Racer

Meal Rejected by Everyone.

or

Meal Ready to Eat.

It's the standard ration for the US military. A meal in a bag.

That's a scary story about that baby. Those people have issues. I would reach into a burning car to get my kids out. Djeez the horror.

The extinguisher is pretty small but I intend to put a somewhat larger in. About the size of a 2 liter coke bottle but more narrow. It'll only help right at the beginning of a fire. Once it spreads it's better to just stand back and watch the fireworks. If you get one make sure it is at least an A-B but preferably an A-B-C one. Never use an 'A' extinguisher on a car as it may stread the burning gas/oil.

Quick link: http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d001101...2/d001102.html
Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahh ok. I knew I had heard of MRE before.

I have three fire extinguishers in my house - all A-B-C slightly bigger than what you described, so I may get something that size. I am not sure.

about reaching in to get the kids out. Exactly what I did. They still stood there like idiots after I asked so I decided I had better do it. Crazy people.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
I was looking at the First Aid kit supplied with the Infiniti M.
It has little placards describing first aids for varies emergencies.
I thought that was trick until I read the contents of the kit.
It includes a feminine napkin also!
I thought...my how cute & thoughtful, as I rummaged through the kit looking for it!
Yep, it's there....1 feminine napkin!
I thought, how nice to include that.
I feel so prepared now for any emergency that might arise...yes, including a damsel in distress needing a feminine napkin. I never ran into that type of emergency before...but at least now I am prepared for it!
Does Audi pack one in there kit?
Old 10-31-2005, 05:15 PM
Racer

Yea, the first aid kit and triangle definetly are nice touches to include with an expensive car. I liked the one that came with my Audi TT that I kept it when I traded the car in. It now resides in the trunk of my TL.

Not sure about the feminine napkin though? It looks so nice and new I haven't touched it or opened it to see what it had.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

My highway driving emergency kit includes most of the above mentioned items along with a small portable air compressor. The compressor has actually come in handy a couple of times including an event where TWO tires had nail punctures with slow leaks. I managed to pump them both up and get to a service facility. A neighbor at our mountain resort home was having his roof redone and the roofers were not very careful with the old cedar shakes and all of the nails that go with them!!!
In lieu of a triangle, I have a couple of small red flashing lights (like the kind that cyclists wear at night) to place out in an emergency situation. They have super bright LED lights that are visible for over a mile and because they have LED "bulbs", the batteries can last for a very long time. My primary flashlight that I keep with my spare tire, is a windup, batteryless LED flashlight.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Racer

Hehe, I'll have to check my car when I get it back tomorrow and see if it contains a 'napkin'. HOndamore, do you have something to aim those lights at the uncoming traffic? Those bike lights are very bright but they're directional so they show brightest when you see them head-on. The benefit of a reflective triangle is that it's recognized immediately by oncoming traffic. I suppose having both would be ideal.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

The lights I have are similar to the bike lights but actually project light in many directions (I'd guess a 90 degree spread). I like them because they are so small (not much bigger than the RL key fob). My wife's emergency kit has a triangle in it, but she drives an SUV, so storage space is less of an issue. Thanks for the heads up on the lights - hopefully, I will never have to use them.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:42 PM
Racer

Well, up to now, my first-aid kit consisted of a Crown Royal bag filled with my toothbrush, toothpaste, some aspirin of various unknown origins, wrinkled bandaids, mashed sterile ointment, out of date eye drops, and what not. I've resolved to do better!

Most of the following is OT to the original first-aid kit thread, but are some items I carry in addition to some already mentioned...

I've always kept a jacket in the trunk because I'll often drive through the night...it can get chilly at night, even in the summertime, especially if dead in the water and far from civilization.

I also have an L.L.Bean boat bag in the trunk and keep in it a couple of other items not mentioned...moist wipes (useful at both ends of some emergencies!); insulated mugs; a can opener, knife, fork and spoon; insect repellant.

In the glove box, I have a waterproof, Hubbel flashlight (this might now be branded Pelican). It's also explosion proof.

Regarding triangles, I frequent a bicycle board, and some cyclists swear by reflective tape purchased at auto stores. I don't think I want to put any of this on my RL, but it might not hurt to have some stored with the protective backing attached to be used in a dire emergency.

Getting waaaaay off topic, I haven't yet in the RL, but always had on hand in the Honda, spare bulbs for all the lights and spare fuses.

I've always toted a portable fold-up camp chair kept in it's case.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Talking

Hey Nocturnal, all you need is a playboy in your survival pack and your set for being stranded in a blizzard.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by crazytsxmods
Hey Nocturnal, all you need is a playboy in your survival pack and your set for being stranded in a blizzard.
Too tame man, too tame
Old 11-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Racer

Oh, I forgot to mention this great little light:

http://www.inovalight.com/site.html?247-ov

Do some online searching for good prices. I bought the whole kit for $30 or so at Fry's. One of the neato accessories is a magnetized holder. This allows you to put an insanely bright flasher on any side of the car (well except hood and roof I suppose). It can also flash SOS and makes for a decent flashlight. Plus it's plain ol' neat. I actually carry that in my jacket wherever I go.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Well lets see what I've got...

In my '97 TL:

First aid kit
Water
Fire extinguisher
MRE's (including mini tabasco sauce)
Rope
Flares
Jacket
Blankets

The '05 TL is a little bare.. it has flares and first aid kit only.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gbriank
Here's a good question.....Fix-a-flat....will that damage the TPMS sensors?
Oh YES!!!!

Fix-a-flat leaves a gooey (albeit cleanable) mess inside the tires as it is. With TPMS, it supposedly messes up the sending unit in the wheel.

I read a story in another forum of an individual whose TPMS warning light came on, and the dealer would not replace the sensors under warranty because they had been damaged by Fix-a-flat.

EDIT: Funny you asked, because my initial thought when I read Fix-a-flat as one of the desired items was that I should warn people that Fix-a-flat is if you have an RL (or '06 TL).
Old 11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmm. I guess I will put the fix-a-flat in our RX
Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
office monkey

Hmm, I should put some emerg kit in the car one of these days. Don't think I have anything althugh I thought my rl came with a mini kit. Hmm...

Shame about that fix a flat thing and the tpms...i like the tpms systems but damn, they are a pain in some aspects.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I forgot to mention that my highway emergency kit also includes an appoximately 18 inch long piece of pipe. This is used to place over the little lug nut wrench that comes with the spare tire to lengthen it and thus improve the leverage. I helped my mother change a tire once with the dinky little lug wrench that comes with the spare and almost gave myself a hernia trying to loosen the lug nuts. With the piece of pipe on the end, even my mother could remove the lug nuts. This is another of those items that you will probably never need, but is really nice to have if you do need it.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Racer

Good idea. I'll probably put a breaker bar and the appropriate socket in the car. They are of no use for other things anyway.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

why do most german cars have an emergency triangle? i would tell you, but i would probably get flamed.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Racer

hehe, nice
Old 11-02-2005, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

hell yeah, tabasco sauce on the beef stew mre is the best. stay away from the chicken ala king though.
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Well lets see what I've got...

In my '97 TL:

First aid kit
Water
Fire extinguisher
MRE's (including mini tabasco sauce)
Rope
Flares
Jacket
Blankets

The '05 TL is a little bare.. it has flares and first aid kit only.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have to do some highway driving tomorrow, so I checked my highway emergency kit. I forgot to include in my discussions the spare set of wiper blades that I keep on hand. Nothing worse than a long, rainy highway drive with a bad blade that leaves a streak right at eye level. I then rotate the spares onto the car every year and buy a new set for my emerg kit.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:23 AM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

Originally Posted by Steve C
I was looking at the First Aid kit supplied with the Infiniti M.
It has little placards describing first aids for varies emergencies.
I thought that was trick until I read the contents of the kit.
It includes a feminine napkin also!
I thought...my how cute & thoughtful, as I rummaged through the kit looking for it!
Yep, it's there....1 feminine napkin!
I thought, how nice to include that.
I feel so prepared now for any emergency that might arise...yes, including a damsel in distress needing a feminine napkin. I never ran into that type of emergency before...but at least now I am prepared for it!
Does Audi pack one in there kit?

They should provide two checkboxes on the option list, one for guys and one for girls. Girls should get their obligatory "feminine napkin", and the guys should get a Trojan damn it. I look back now and say, damn it, if I had only had a condom in car I wouldnt have 3 child support payments!! J/K
Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hondamore
I have to do some highway driving tomorrow, so I checked my highway emergency kit. I forgot to include in my discussions the spare set of wiper blades that I keep on hand. Nothing worse than a long, rainy highway drive with a bad blade that leaves a streak right at eye level. I then rotate the spares onto the car every year and buy a new set for my emerg kit.
Good idea hondamore! Here in the Bay Area I don't have to deal much with rain but the harsh sun during the summer can really do a number on the blades. I try to replace them every fall. That's when I re-appy rain-x as well.