Good Lease?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lease mileage

If you are going to use the miles, I think it is better to build them into the lease upfront. I started negotiating for 18K miles and got to $635 with $1,450 down (no cap cost) for a 36 month lease. At the end of the lease, additional miles typically cost $.15. I went to 25K for $700/mo. which was about $.11/mi upfront for the additional miles.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Surprisingly, dealers in the metroplex are becoming more upfront with deals on the RL.

David McDavid called me and quoted the following deal:

$44,270
-2500 incentive (for lease only)
=$41,770

.0023 money factor
49% Residual
Old 07-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Burning Brakes

definitely not the right place to solicit an unbiased opinion...LOL!

In all honesty (as I have spoken to a few of you on the board about), don't end up with what I call "buyer's remorse". You need to make sure the RL not only fits your budget, true needs, etc... but also your emotional "wants". My RL is the 8th car i've owned since high school and I can tell you from experience buying the wrong car is a nightmare.....you stare out the window looking at the car going, "what was I thinking?" or "wonder if it's too late to take it back?" or "I can't afford that!!!!". Write out a list of pro's and con's for both the TL and RL. And as Santa always does before he saddles up for a long winter's night, check it twice. This is a big expense (next to buying a house) and will stick with you for several years. If you are in doubt, WAIT! Don't be like me trading out after 362 days of ownership because the car is too bland and slow (1999 Accord EX). And just remember, these deals are NOT over by any means. There will be 2005 RL's still on the lots well into August..... Good luck!

Originally Posted by Minarets
damn, you guys! i am almost waiting to have someone on here talk me out of it! convince me it is a bad deal!

question regarding the mileage. as NJRoonbo mentioned....i def will not qualify on the mileage aspect of a lease. for starters, if i had a RL, i would drive it all the time, besides the fact i have an 80 mile a day commute (which i love, and would really love driving that car everyday)

if it is set at 15,000 mile/year for 3 years, which brings your total to 45,000 miles....do you get penalized for driving, say, 20,000 the first year as long as you give back under 45,000?.
is it as long as you stay under 45,000 after 3 years? or is it truely no more then 15,000 a year? i mean do they check every year?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Well said.
Always think about your current and future financial situation. What you can afford today might be different in 6 months or 1 year. Be realsitic with yourself. No one will fault you for saying "Hey, this might be strectching it a bit for me." More times than not, most people bite off more than they can chew when getting into a lease. Just be smart, and not spend every last dime you have for the month just to have a car to impress others. Remember, at the end of the day, you are still getting from point A To point B.

Originally Posted by gbriank
definitely not the right place to solicit an unbiased opinion...LOL!

In all honesty (as I have spoken to a few of you on the board about), don't end up with what I call "buyer's remorse". You need to make sure the RL not only fits your budget, true needs, etc... but also your emotional "wants". My RL is the 8th car i've owned since high school and I can tell you from experience buying the wrong car is a nightmare.....you stare out the window looking at the car going, "what was I thinking?" or "wonder if it's too late to take it back?" or "I can't afford that!!!!". Write out a list of pro's and con's for both the TL and RL. And as Santa always does before he saddles up for a long winter's night, check it twice. This is a big expense (next to buying a house) and will stick with you for several years. If you are in doubt, WAIT! Don't be like me trading out after 362 days of ownership because the car is too bland and slow (1999 Accord EX). And just remember, these deals are NOT over by any means. There will be 2005 RL's still on the lots well into August..... Good luck!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Racer

all good points. just so dang tempting.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want my honest opinion. I say go for it. From the questions and comments you have posted, it seems if you get any other car you won't be fully satisfied and you will regret the decision. If you can afford the lease, negotiate the best lease price you can, and sign. You won't regret getting the RL.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vp911
If you want my honest opinion. I say go for it. From the questions and comments you have posted, it seems if you get any other car you won't be fully satisfied and you will regret the decision. If you can afford the lease, negotiate the best lease price you can, and sign. You won't regret getting the RL.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

It is...having lived it so many times....LOL!

Some basic questions.... what makes the RL different from the TL to you Minarets? Are you able to afford both cars equally? You mentioned you drive 80 miles round trip. City or highway miles? How many days a week? Do you plan to buy your lease at the end of 4 years? Or do you intend to do a purchase only?

Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gbriank
It is...having lived it so many times....LOL!

Some basic questions.... what makes the RL different from the TL to you Minarets? Are you able to afford both cars equally? You mentioned you drive 80 miles round trip. City or highway miles? How many days a week? Do you plan to buy your lease at the end of 4 years? Or do you intend to do a purchase only?

i dont relly care about the "pretige" factor as much as the "awe of driving such a cool car" factor. if that makes any sense. for awhile i really wanted a Chrysler 300....is there any pretige in driving a Chrysler? you see what i am saying?

i was everything the RL has to offer but the lack of rear leg space, but my wife is 5 months pregnant so a car seat will be back there anyway.

The RL, imo is for starters a better lookiing car then the TL and G35 (the 2 in my price range that i can BUY). i drive roughly 77 of the 80 miles on the highway to work everyday....just getting off and on are the only 2 times i wouldnt be on the highway. but if and when i get a new car it will be hard not to drive it a lot. by that i mean 500 miles a week. i would say now i average about 20,000 miles a year---hence why a lease would be BAD w/o me buying it out in the end.
I flat out cannot affors to buy a RL outright. nor do i want 700-800 payments a month.

the RL flat out has almost the complete package in what i am looking for. good looks. color combos that i want. very nice interior, gadgets galore. great stereo, great NAV, congy ride. AWD for safty for me and my family, good reliability

the TL and G35 have most of these, but lack them all.
TL: good looks, great interior,i "like" the drive, missing my fav color combo (could live with that one i guess) great stereo.
G35: imo better looks the the TL (most here would disagree--i know), "looooooove" the drive and performance, stereo was blah, interior even with the NAV is alright, good thing is, that i get employee pricing on it.

the M35 sport would be my car of choice in a perfect world...well the 45 sport. but that, to me is the ultimate. the RL would be my 2nd choice of all cars out there, and with the lease rates, its an affordable monthly payments.
i am overall a cheap ass who loves to dream i guess. i get lumps in my throat when thinking of big purchases such as a car and a house. so the lease has me somehwat scared since all my life i heard how "bad leases are"...but upon doing my own research they serve a very good purpose and cant always figuer out of they are so "bad" why do so many people do it?

anyway, i think you see where i am going
Old 07-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Hi Minarets,
I am going to play Devil's advocate here, just to cover some points.

First off you "say" 20,000 miles per year. Now realistically you might be hitting 22,000 per year or even 24. Not saying you are a liar, because i don't think you are, but most people tend ro give "safe" estimates.
Second, if that is the case leasing is not really the best option for you, and I will tell you why:

People look at leases as an alternative to buying. This is not the way to look at a lease.
Residuals are usually padded by manufacturers in house banks at times to make lease numbers more attractive on a car that is not moving all that well. As your love with the RL is like many of ours, the residual might not be close to the actual market value in 3 to four years. i tocould be quite lower, So what does that do for you? It means you will be re-financing a car, that is much more expensive than financing a used 05 that is not your leased car.
Sure the banks might negotiate a bit, but they aren't going to bend that much. Something to think about.

Also Japanese cars tend to have a faster refresh time frame than let's say their German Counterparts. Minus Lexus. The less freqquent the updates the better your car will hold it's market value. Hypothetically speaking, lets say in three years the RL has been upgraded significantly, do you think, many buyers are going to be looking for an 05 with a large amount of miles on it and older outdated looks or technology? No.
Manufactuers know this and try not to kill the market value of their cars by not drastically changing one year from the next. they might add a little, but not huge changes, unless sales are so poor they have no choice. The RL isn't selling that badly, it just didn't have a great start. Terrible residual numbers, and to be honest, i think it was priced a bit too high.

A car's value is very much dependeant on the miles the car has, the condition etc. The leases we are talking about on this board toend to average between 12-15k per year. Sometimes 10k. the lower the miles, the better the rate you'll get. for me I am at a 12k a year lease. Now I tend to travel sometimes thoughout the year. Each time I travel for work, I am usually flying. thus not using the miles. But if I was to not travel and drive consistently, then my miles might superceed the 12k per year or in my case 48,000 miles in 4 years. Follow me?

To me, and I hate to put a damper on how you are feeling right now, but just from what you have said, I think that a lease might get you in more trouble than what it's worth. However, I do not know your overall financial situation, your occupation, pace of advancement in the workplace, annual salary or hourly raises your company might give, etc. All these factors are truly your business only, and have nothing to do with us. If you are doing well enough to lets say pay for the potential hit in miles if you do decide to turn in the lease at the end then fine. Also take into account, what you like today, might not be the same in two years from now. You might want to upgrade, need to downgrade etc. You don't want to take a bath on a trade in or private sell.

Just things to think about before you rush off in making a decision that can affect you and your families well being.

Kids are expensive. Sometimes much more than people realize. Worse thing to be is a father that can't afford to put clothes on the babies back, or food on the table just for a car.

Don't mean to sound like I am preaching, just trying to help out.
(devils Advocate)
Old 07-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ck37
Hi Minarets,
I am going to play Devil's advocate here, just to cover some points.

First off you "say" 20,000 miles per year. Now realistically you might be hitting 22,000 per year or even 24. Not saying you are a liar, because i don't think you are, but most people tend ro give "safe" estimates.
Second, if that is the case leasing is not really the best option for you, and I will tell you why:

People look at leases as an alternative to buying. This is not the way to look at a lease.
Residuals are usually padded by manufacturers in house banks at times to make lease numbers more attractive on a car that is not moving all that well. As your love with the RL is like many of ours, the residual might not be close to the actual market value in 3 to four years. i tocould be quite lower, So what does that do for you? It means you will be re-financing a car, that is much more expensive than financing a used 05 that is not your leased car.
Sure the banks might negotiate a bit, but they aren't going to bend that much. Something to think about.

Also Japanese cars tend to have a faster refresh time frame than let's say their German Counterparts. Minus Lexus. The less freqquent the updates the better your car will hold it's market value. Hypothetically speaking, lets say in three years the RL has been upgraded significantly, do you think, many buyers are going to be looking for an 05 with a large amount of miles on it and older outdated looks or technology? No.
Manufactuers know this and try not to kill the market value of their cars by not drastically changing one year from the next. they might add a little, but not huge changes, unless sales are so poor they have no choice. The RL isn't selling that badly, it just didn't have a great start. Terrible residual numbers, and to be honest, i think it was priced a bit too high.

A car's value is very much dependeant on the miles the car has, the condition etc. The leases we are talking about on this board toend to average between 12-15k per year. Sometimes 10k. the lower the miles, the better the rate you'll get. for me I am at a 12k a year lease. Now I tend to travel sometimes thoughout the year. Each time I travel for work, I am usually flying. thus not using the miles. But if I was to not travel and drive consistently, then my miles might superceed the 12k per year or in my case 48,000 miles in 4 years. Follow me?

To me, and I hate to put a damper on how you are feeling right now, but just from what you have said, I think that a lease might get you in more trouble than what it's worth. However, I do not know your overall financial situation, your occupation, pace of advancement in the workplace, annual salary or hourly raises your company might give, etc. All these factors are truly your business only, and have nothing to do with us. If you are doing well enough to lets say pay for the potential hit in miles if you do decide to turn in the lease at the end then fine. Also take into account, what you like today, might not be the same in two years from now. You might want to upgrade, need to downgrade etc. You don't want to take a bath on a trade in or private sell.

Just things to think about before you rush off in making a decision that can affect you and your families well being.

Kids are expensive. Sometimes much more than people realize. Worse thing to be is a father that can't afford to put clothes on the babies back, or food on the table just for a car.

Don't mean to sound like I am preaching, just trying to help out.
(devils Advocate)

dude, i hear you 100%. that is what has me scared somewhat. i do not want to be in a position in 36 months to say, wow! i have no car and i cannot afford to but it now. i have a good job now and am about to have a child. what if my wife wants to stay home with the baby and quit work for a fre years?--relying on my salary. that is the kind of thing that scares me. almost overly cautious and conservative.

the mileage is my biigest fear. when i put 20,000 i was being very conservative. i drive a lot. plus i love to just get in the car and drive 'round town to relax...put on some tunes and clear my mind. so more like 26,000 a year....that was my fear. using that figuer plus the $.15/mile penalty....and if i could get 15,000/year....we are looking at a $1650 penalty.

a buyout would be the only thing "smart" to do. if that is even smart....to be paying more for the car then its worth--but again, if you keep the car--it doesnt really matter

but i hear you 100% and that is the fear in the back of my mind
Old 07-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vp911
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the forums!
congrats, but just so you know....

Finance RL at $45,000 (it depends just like the lease does) the is just an example

paid $30,564 in 3 years finance $849 a month

1st year value from invoice $35,600 at 20% depreciation. Avg. new car 15-20%
2nd year value from invoice $32,040 at 10% depreciation. Avg. new car 7-12%
3rd year value from invoice $28,836 at 10% depreciation. Avg. new car 7-12%

sell car at 3 years 60k miles for $28,836 give bank aprox $16,000 left in payment (aprox because don't pay interest on last 2 years, but you pay more interest on the first years)

back in your wallet $12,836

paid lease $610x36 + 1500 = $21,960

actual paid finance = $30,564 - $12,836(got back when sold car) = $17,728 actual cost of the car for 3 year ownership and 60k miles Versus $21,960 lease and 45k miles

That is a difference of $4,232 and 15k miles more.

Enjoy the car at least you have one.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Well your honesty is a big start. To take it a step further, I think these are topics you need to discuss with your wife about. Forget about the whole "I'm the man" way of thinking. BS!! You two are a team. if both of you come to the conclusion that is a bigger risk than what it's worth then its better to be safe than sorry.

No one will fault you for thinking otherwise. if they do, then they themselves have issues, and people you don't want to be associated with.

To give you an idea about my situation, I was never really looking into the RL initially. I was happy where my payments were, the TL I was driving etc. However the opportunity came about that allowed me to trade in my TL for a good number, very close to my payoff, and get me into a car, that while it is a step up, was near what I was paying now.

In my previous posts I have been striaght up and honest about the numbers I was given and agreed upon. the adjustment in my insurance and taxes got me roughly a 12.00 increase in payments per month. That is the ONLY reason why I did it.

I could not see myself spending even 50.00 a month more. Thats the mindset I had when i walked into the dealership and stood firm with that belief.

On a side note:
I have traveled the world and lived in different countries. For someone to even have a honda accord is considered a higher end car to many. We here in the US are spoiled by the financing system we have. Trust me. We have it good.
But you know what, people are happy just to get around period. If LA had a great transortation system like other countries, i wouldn't be on this board. Wouln't need to be. I like to walk, take trains, buses etc. I like the day to day interaction. Sure it's nice to drive once and a while, but the little amount that I would drive wouldn't warrant the extra luxuries that I wouldn't use. I try to always remind myself that. However in the end, Yes I am stepping into a "luxury" car.A car I spend a good amount of my day in. But one thing I do realize is how fortunate I am to be able to do that, and the opportunities we have to do that.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ck37
Well your honesty is a big start. To take it a step further, I think these are topics you need to discuss with your wife about. Forget about the whole "I'm the man" way of thinking. BS!! You two are a team. if both of you come to the conclusion that is a bigger risk than what it's worth then its better to be safe than sorry.

No one will fault you for thinking otherwise. if they do, then they themselves have issues, and people you don't want to be associated with.

To give you an idea about my situation, I was never really looking into the RL initially. I was happy where my payments were, the TL I was driving etc. However the opportunity came about that allowed me to trade in my TL for a good number, very close to my payoff, and get me into a car, that while it is a step up, was near what I was paying now.

In my previous posts I have been striaght up and honest about the numbers I was given and agreed upon. the adjustment in my insurance and taxes got me roughly a 12.00 increase in payments per month. That is the ONLY reason why I did it.

I could not see myself spending even 50.00 a month more. Thats the mindset I had when i walked into the dealership and stood firm with that belief.

On a side note:
I have traveled the world and lived in different countries. For someone to even have a honda accord is considered a higher end car to many. We here in the US are spoiled by the financing system we have. Trust me. We have it good.
But you know what, people are happy just to get around period. If LA had a great transortation system like other countries, i wouldn't be on this board. Wouln't need to be. I like to walk, take trains, buses etc. I like the day to day interaction. Sure it's nice to drive once and a while, but the little amount that I would drive wouldn't warrant the extra luxuries that I wouldn't use. I try to always remind myself that. However in the end, Yes I am stepping into a "luxury" car.A car I spend a good amount of my day in. But one thing I do realize is how fortunate I am to be able to do that, and the opportunities we have to do that.
sounds like you got a great deal. also seem to have a good head on your shoulders. congrats and best of luck!