Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
It just comes off, you pull it towards the inside of the car. I chose to replace it with XPEL which serves as the chip repellent that Honda intended that plastic piece to be without trapping salt and road grime.
Which are you talking about? I thought it was B.

Can u give more details about that xpel and vs spray?

Last edited by RL09; 11-28-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Yes, on the '05-'08 it's at B and goes around the whole wheel arch. Xpel will give you rock chip protection, but extra rustproofing wouldn't hurt.
The following users liked this post:
RL09 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 02:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devastat1on
I'm a few days late, but if you PM me the VIN #, i could run a free carfax for you to look for any service and accident history. I work in the business and have unlimited carfax reports. Just let me know!
I appreciate that! I tried to PM you, but I think I'm too new of a user to get that feature. I purchased a CarProof that showed no accident history, but had no service history either. If it doesn't put you out at all, I might as well check the CarFax and see if it has any additional info (even though I already purchased the car). The VIN is JH4KB16355C800579
Old 11-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The "clips" or plugs that hold the wheel arch inner liner in place are not the easiest to get out and tend to break if you have to force them any, so I'd recommend having a few extras on hand - you don't want to be stuck with your inner fender liners hanging down onto the wheels. And of course you need the wheels off the car to get at all of the clips. The other challenge is most of gunk that gets inside there accumulates (due to gravity of course) at the very bottom corners of the wheel arches, so you've gotta get them completely off the car to get in and clean it out, otherwise you're just spraying rustproof material into and over the gunk and crud that's already sitting in there. If there are mudflaps those have to come off as well - and it's unreal what builds up behind those too! I took two big handfuls of dirt and crap out from behind the rear flaps on my 2012.

I can't make up my mind about the wheel arch protector strips - my 2012 has them and everything still looks mint, but my 06 originally had them when I got it back in 2010 and there was a tiny bit of surface rust staining already starting under one of them like it had probably trapped some crap in there (not even 1/16 of an inch of "rust stain" on the paint under the strip on the passenger's side, and no actual corrosion visible), so I took them off and cleaned up the rust and had the edges resprayed. Of course it came back and on both sides, despite annual rustproofing, and got worse. I complained to Acura that it's pretty weak their flagship car 20 years later with advances in manufacturing, etc still corrodes in the same places as the old entry level Civics from the 1980s - "harsh winter climate" so no remedy offered from them. I'll plan to be moving on from my 2012 before any of that has a chance to develop this time. Damned if you do, damned if you don't as every brand has their issues with rust here from winter road salt - Toyotas/Lexus let go under the bottom door seams, Mercedes let go on the trunk panels and door sills, Nissan/Infinit it's the wheel wells, BMW's and Audis the door sills, etc etc
RL09 (11-28-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by BluNosr2
I can confirm that unless you NEVER drive a Honda/Acura in the winter, or you are fortunate enough to live somewhere where they never use road salt, you are not going to get 10 years without at least some rust appearing in the rear wheel wells, not matter what you do for washing/cleaning, rustproofing, etc. It's called Honda Rot by every bodyshop here on the east coast because it eventually happens to all of them - time (with winter driving) is their enemy around here, not mileage. I've owned four different Honda/Acura products over 20+ years and religiously/meticulously cared for all, and every one eventually developed Honda rot (some worse than others) by around the 8yr old mark, including my 06 RL. Too bad they didn't do the rear quarters from aluminum on these like the front fenders LOL. The 2G RL's around here also tend to rust under the front door handles. I've seen an 05 that even had one of those marine grade cathodic rust protection systems installed when it was new, and the door skins under the handles still let go eventually.
Gee, that's a pretty sweeping assertion. My '06 in the Chicago area (started life in suburban NYC) hasn't received any special fussing beyond simple garaging and occasional winter undercarriage washes, and it doesn't have a speck of rust on it.
projektvertx (11-29-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Lack of ocean air in Chicago likely helps you on that front. The combination here of high humidity year round, salt in the air (we even have "salt fog" here which is bad enough to corrode the utility power lines and lead to power outages, and the morning dew is, you guessed it - salty), and salt on the roads in the winter, is not conducive to preventing eventual rust.