FOB Not Recognizing correct driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOB Not Recognizing correct driver

Does anyone have this issue?

My wife drives the 2005 RL using FOB #1. Later in the day I, with FOB #2, get in the car (FOB #1 is not near the car). I turn on the ignition and it says 'welcome driver 1'!

I turn off the ignition and try again. It still says Welcome driver 1.

Turn off the ignition, go to the FOB and press the door unlock button and restart the car - this time it says welcome driver 2.

The salesman indicates that the car is supposed to recognize the first FOB it senses - even if both FOBs are in the vicinity.

The reverse of the above also occurs and is very reproducible.

Any thoughts?

Bill
Old 03-29-2005, 02:23 PM
9th Gear

Bill -- we find that the first or second driver has to lock the car -- because the shift from driver 1 to driver 2 seems to be initiated when driver 2 - UNLOCKS the car. Also, if driver 2 unlocks and then starts the car, driver 2 continues to be recognized when driver 2 also unlocks the passenger door from inside BEFORE driver 1 (carrying key fob 1) has the opportunity to touch the passenger side door.
We have found that if the driver 1 touches the door handle before driver 2 unlocks her door, the radio station preferences sometimes change to those of Driver 1 -- although the seat position remains appropriate for driver 2. Sounds complicated -- not after we have had the car for almost three months. Aside from these strange quirks... driver 2 loves the car -- but driver 1 tolerates it...although driver 1 continues to love driver 2. We are not sure what FOB stands for...but we suspect that they got the first letter right. Happy trails.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:53 PM
office monkey

Weird.

I dont know why those who have problems with this "feature" just dont turn it off. Set the seat memory for each driver in the two stored settings and bam, there you go. Surely changing the radio station and temperature isn't hard once a person is in the car.

I udnerstand those wanting this FOB stuff to work since it is part of the car but it seems like it has quirks so why not just turn it off rather than fiddle trying to get it to work correctly seeing as Acura made a poor design choice with how it works.

Just my 19 cents.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Intermediate

The reason for wanting to be recognized correctly is that presets for the NAV preferences (including address book and 'Home') are based on the specific driver. I agree, the radio is not meaningful. But, I expect advertised features to work correctly whether one considers them significant or insignificant - especially for $50K.

Bill
Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Instructor

It sounds to me like your car is operating exactly as it should. The person who approaches the RL AND starts it first is the one the RL recognizes. (The other person can get in after the 1st individual has started the car and nothing should change.) Then once the car is locked again, repeat locked, then a new fob (or driver) can be recognized, per the above procedure. This is as outlined by Acura.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:29 AM
Cruisin'

I've had this happen also. If the car wasn't locked by the Driver 1 and Driver 2 gets in the car, it won't recognise Driver 2. I believe that if you press the unlock button on the keyfob (even though the car is unlocked) it will recognize you as Driver 2. Memory settings in my BMW worked the same way.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gitch
I've had this happen also. If the car wasn't locked by the Driver 1 and Driver 2 gets in the car, it won't recognise Driver 2. I believe that if you press the unlock button on the keyfob (even though the car is unlocked) it will recognize you as Driver 2. Memory settings in my BMW worked the same way.
That's exactly the scenario. But according to the Acura dealer, the car is supposed to 'see' the fob without the user pressing any buttons and the previous user not having to lock the car.

Cadillac STS and XLR work this way and do a good job of recognizing the closest fob to the driver's seat even if 2 fobs are in the car at the same time.

Bill
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DCRL
It sounds to me like your car is operating exactly as it should. The person who approaches the RL AND starts it first is the one the RL recognizes. (The other person can get in after the 1st individual has started the car and nothing should change.) Then once the car is locked again, repeat locked, then a new fob (or driver) can be recognized, per the above procedure. This is as outlined by Acura.
You didn't read the original post correctly. There is no second fob (or person) in the car. Driver #2 gets in the car with the #2 fob long after driver #1 has exited the car yet the car does not recognize fob #2 and will not do so until the unlock button is pressed on the fob. Shouldn't be this way according to the dealer.

Bill
Old 03-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Instructor

I believe the dealer is incorrect. Acura CS stated to me that you must lock the car and then the vehicle will recognize the other driver's fob.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a problem for about a week with the car not recognizing me as Driver #1, even though I was using the Driver #1 key fob.

I pressed the lock/unlock buttons simultaneously on the key fob and it self-corrected. If you do this and the light blinks once the fob has "unlinked". If the light blinks twice the fob has "linked". You may want to try that and see if it remedies the situation.