Finally test drove the new RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Finally test drove the new RL

Ok, I had been promising myself that I would test drive the RL before making a decision between the RL or M45 sport (and a slim chance - RX400h).

The car I drove was black with parchment.

This car looks MUCH better in person than in pictures. In pictures, it actually looks like a smaller car, but in real person the lines give it a slightly aggressive look. I like the attention to details especially with the door pulls.

The interior was what I expected, but it felt slightly tight (i'm 5'8" 170 muscular built) which I think is expected for that cockpit feel, although I felt I was sitting really low in the car even with the seat all the way up (more on this later).

The controller thingy was PERFECTLY placed, but the stereo volume button felt out of place in the center of the stereo. I was concerned that the center armrest didn't slide forward (like previous acuras), but later this turned out to be a non-issue.

The materials were top notch except for the 2 plastic-feeling "boomerang" things next to the center console.

There were 2 rattles noticed...one on the driver side seatbelt height adjustment switch and one somewhere in the back (maybe the sunshade?). There was some tire noise, but nothing intrusive and no wind noise.

During driving, I later realized that my seat was too high (I'm driving aorund a '91 MB 560SEL which has a LOOONNNGG hood). I guess I was misled by the slope of the hood.

The steering felt overboosted at low speeds but fine at higher speeds. Again, coming from a '91 MB with recirculating ball steering, it may just be a perception thing. It also seemed that I had to turn the steering wheel more than usual to make turns.

The test route was nicely set up...first a couple miles of freeway, then onto some windy-hilly roads, then back to the dealership. The tranny in auto mode "hesitated" a few times, like when I got onto the freeway on-ramp and throttled it...the engine revved but the car slowly reacted to it. It's a fast car and probably fast enough, but of course didn't have the torquey feel of the m45.

The handling felt wierd at first...I had the display set on the torque distribution to see what sh-awd was doing. during slow cornering the car felt like any fwd car, which I guess it is. But if I pushed it like on and off ramps, I could really feel the sh-awd work (I couldn't see it because the steering wheel spokes were in the way). The same happened going through the windy mountain roads. I test drove a TL through there a year ago and remember it was understeer heaven with that car. Not so with the RL, it just took the curves like it's going out of style.

I'm going to take another test (at night) of the M45 this coming monday, then heading to San Antonio for a vacation. After I return I'm goign to take a night test of the RL again.

Then finally, I'm going to test drive the lexus rx400h because I promised my cousin I'd do so. Then I'll make my decision which car to get.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:35 AM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird you felt the interior was snug. I'm 6' and the interior doesnt feel snug to me. It's not massive like the LS430 interior but IMO has enough room.

I think the rear rattle you heard was from the sunsahde area. The housing/whole set-up of the sunshade is cheap.

The engine hesitation...I am wondering if this was just because the car doesnt know the driving style you have? Mine doesnt hesitate like that so that is all I can think of.

Yeah, the handling can be feel a bit weird when you are doing aggressive cornering and the SH part of the AWD system kicks in and just gives the car its great handling sicne the car feels much diff than cornering at slow speeds when it isnt transfering most of the torque to that outside wheel.

I bet you will end up getting the M45 sport. Whatever the case, you are going to have a nice car

Oh and the RL is sweet at night ebcause the interior lighting is badass. The gauges are IMO the best on the market as well.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

THats one of the reasons why I want the night drive, so I can check out the ambient lighting and gauges.

I know the engine hesitation happened twice, once after pulling out of the dealership and shortly after getting onto the freeway. but after that I didn't notice it, so it may be that the car was learning my driving.

I think I'll get the M45 also, but I'm not going to decide until after all test drives are done and I am SURE which I want. It's been a while since I tested the M45 so we'll see how it compares with a fresh test drive in my mind.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:10 PM
office monkey

Any other cars on your list?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

That's it, the M45, RL, and rx400h.

I'm not an suv guy so the rx400h will probably be ruled out. I considered the gs430, but for some reason i don't like it much...probably not enough sport in it.

i'd consider the new 5-series, but really don't like the interior. The e-class is getting old and after spending a lot of time in Denmark, it reminds me of danish taxis (they're mostly diesel e-classes with a few 5-series here and there).

I'd also consider the fx45 but don't like the interior. The '06 maybe better, but it's still not my cup of tea (and againk, i'm not a big suv guy).
Old 08-27-2005, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear

I know what you mean about the hesitation. I think that's just the personality of the Acura tranny. I currently drive a TL and I've noticed that all along. I've also noticed a few of the press reviewers mention it.

It just seems to wait that extra beat or two before downshifting when you punch it. It's especially noticeable on on-ramps and while passing. Doesn't seem to be an issue when accelerating from a standing start.