Finally pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger

After almost a year of dithering, I pulled the trigger today on a 2006 Acura RL (white pearl with parchment interior). I'm picking it up tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the advise!

BTW, how do you use On Star--if at all?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice, same combo as me, you will love it !. Congrats. I didn't bother setting up the onstar, but it comes with a manual for it if you choose to set it up.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:38 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you shot a car?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Just an expression-- a rather hackneyed one at that.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by Courage
After almost a year of dithering, I pulled the trigger today on a 2006 Acura RL (white pearl with parchment interior). I'm picking it up tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all the advise!

BTW, how do you use On Star--if at all?
I never use the OnStar but the wife loves it. You just push the button and tell it who to call, number or stored name. It's really simple.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Retired and Loving It

I forgot to welcome you to the RL community. We have an 05 RL same color and interior. Great car, no problems in 14,000 miles.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Well, since I'm not due to pick mine up until tomorrow, I guess I'm not really qualified to welcome you, but I'll certainly congratulate you.

Sounds like a nice car!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Well, since I'm not due to pick mine up until tomorrow, I guess I'm not really qualified to welcome you, but I'll certainly congratulate you.

Sounds like a nice car!
lol already ditching the TL? lol
Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
lol already ditching the TL? lol
No, he's ditching his IS350.

Welcome, Courage! and congratulations.

As for OnStar, I prefer to use my cell phone, so I declined their offer of reduced-price minutes.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
No, he's ditching his IS350.

Welcome, Courage! and congratulations.

As for OnStar, I prefer to use my cell phone, so I declined their offer of reduced-price minutes.

Same here. I've just stored a bunch of numbers.

"Call Home"
"Call Mom"
"Call voice mail"

I have not used On Star once in the 5 months I've owned the car.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:53 AM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone! A couple of questions:

1. How do you cope with the key fob? It doesn't appear to fit on a key chain. Does Acura sell any "adapters" to make the fob more user friendly? Does valet parking become an adventure?
2. Any specific advice or things I should look for when I pick up the car later?

Regards.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Retired and Loving It

1. How do you cope with the key fob? It doesn't appear to fit on a key chain. Does Acura sell any "adapters" to make the fob more user friendly? Does valet parking become an adventure?
2. Any specific advice or things I should look for when I pick up the car later?

Regards.
1. I don't put the remote on my key chain with my other keys. I just carry it in my pocket when I use the RL. I don't have to take it out to access the car or it's functions so it stays in my pocket until the end of the day. I don't know of any adapters for this fob. Valet parking isn't an adventure. Most good valets are aware of the remote and it's functions. If you're in doubt of their experience, park the car yourself. I usually self park, I can't bring myself to trust valets with my RL yet.
2. Take the car for a thorough test drive before you take delivery. Ask the sales staff lots of questions about everything. Don't be shy. I know you will be anxious to get it home but take your time and theirs.

Finally, enjoy the RL, its a great car. You're going to love it
Old 09-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Regards.
to what Ernie said. I have it on a special keychain by itself that has my baby's picture on it. It stays in my left (empty) pocket all day, or in the other pocket if it's empty.

I am never valet parking again if I can get away with it as I got a scrape on my TL a few weeks ago (just as I was starting to ask for serious quotes on the RL!), and their insurer denied me even though I had pictures from earlier the same day. So, the answer to your other question is "no" because I will self-park.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I have mine on a small carabinier clip and hook it on my belt loop. Choose not to put it in my pocket to interact with loose change or other pocket contents. Also avoids any inadvertent button pushes.

I don't use OnStar either. Cell phone seems to work fine for me.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, very helpful. Just picked up my car and the dealer told me that they don't recommend installing a radar detector integrated with the car's electrical system (my Valentine only works with the car's system). Thoughts? Has anyone done this? Is is true it can void the warranty? The salesperson told me that the dealer won't install it for me. I guess I'll need to find a battery-powered one if this is all true. THANKS

PS--Otherwise, a very good experience. Keep you fingers crossed!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Got DEP???

Thanks, very helpful. Just picked up my car and the dealer told me that they don't recommend installing a radar detector integrated with the car's electrical system (my Valentine only works with the car's system). Thoughts? Has anyone done this? Is is true it can void the warranty? The salesperson told me that the dealer won't install it for me. I guess I'll need to find a battery-powered one if this is all true. THANKS

PS--Otherwise, a very good experience. Keep you fingers crossed!
It shouldn't void any warranties unless they could prove that it or the installation caused any defects.
Also, you say that it has to be hooked up through your car's system...
There is a simple fix...
Go to almost any car parts store or maybe radio shack and pick up the cigarette lighter adapter and splice them together. May not be what you wanted, but at least it is removable and you can take it out whenever needed (like dealership visits).
Now I am curious of why you say it won't work through the system...
Do you have the radar functions (for auto braking and turning) on the car? If you do, then that would obviously be the reason. If you are not sure (I'm sure you would know though) all you have to do is look at the center of the grill where the "A" is. If you notice that the emblem is part of a plastic insert (kind of like a square insert instead of just the normal one piece center) then you have the radar!!!
That is the easiest way to tell if anyone else on the road has one as well...
Anyways, if your RL has the radar option, then I am more than sure that your radar detector wouldn't work anyways.
As for them installing it for you... Don't even bother asking them. In most states it is illegal to have a radar detector and I am sure it is part of Acura's policy to not install them.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Sigh.....yet another example of my favorite saying......Dealers. Know. Nothing.

Hardwiring your V1 will not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Act, which I have quoted many times (dangit, will have to find the link to my last post on the topic! ), says that the warranty is voided only if it can be PROVEN that the aftermarket modification ruined the equipment in question.

I posted about hardwiring my V1 recently, still looking for an answer. That center console power outlet is simply too inconvenient.....

BTW, congrats on picking up your car, Courage! We seem to have quite a few new arrivals here in the last few weeks, myself included.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by redsly
In most states it is illegal to have a radar detector
Must reply to this ... it is most certainly NOT "illegal in most states to have a radar detector". In fact, only Virginia and D.C. outlaw them.

And it is pretty well known that those states' laws are technically contrary to federal law. The same laws that permit you to receive AM radio allow you to recieve microwaves broadcast by police radar. In effect, anyone who transmits on a radio frequency does so with the knowledge that anyone with a receiver can receive it. And that's all you're doing with a radar detector.

The exception to the above is a fairly recent federal law that bans radar detectors in commercial trucks. But detectors in cars are perfectly legal in all but VA and D.C.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Exactly. I have my Passport 8500 connected to one of the accessory fuses. No issues and the dealer has seen the setup when I went in for service.

Amazing what dealers will say.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, Mike--Here's a webpage which supports your facts:

Radar Detectors

And thanks neuronbob--that's great information. I will wait for more information and/or find a trustworthy installer. NB: It's NOT something I can do myself.

redsly-- I don't have the technology package so I don't have the radar functions you allude to. To neuronbob's point, I was looking for the quick integration with the car's electrical system: easy, fast, and unobtrusive. But I appreciate the feedback. Whilst I could use the center console, it's ugly and not aesthetically appealing.

Regards.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Just curious GoHawks--did you install this yourself? Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 PM

I just wrapped one of the leads around one of the accessory fuses, and the other was grounded.

No splicing and clean.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Got DEP???

Must reply to this ... it is most certainly NOT "illegal in most states to have a radar detector". In fact, only Virginia and D.C. outlaw them.

I stand corrected and I apologize for any inconvenience!

I was under the understanding that it was illegal I knew that in VA you get a ticket if they see it, you don't even have to be using it. I was told by a Police Officer that it was illegal many years ago when I had one.
But upon checking I found this excerpt...
"Currently the only state that it is illegal to operate a radar detector is Virginia and Washington D.C.
Laser jammers are illegal to operate in the states of: Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado and Washington DC.

Radar jammers are illegal to own and/or operate in all 50 states per the Federal Communications Commission.

Radar detectors are also illegal in commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds in all fifty states, per Title 49 Transportation Act.

Radar detectors are also illegal to operate on any military base."

Maybe it was the Military Base, since I knew for a fact you couldn't... Sorry for the mixup!
Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Got DEP???

Whilst I could use the center console, it's ugly and not aesthetically appealing.

Regards.

All you need to do is put an extension (if you need the length) on the wire and on the other end you put a blade (male push type) terminal on the other end of the power wire and a loop (circle) terminal on the end of the ground wire.

Run the power wire to your fuse panel and find an open terminal that only gets power when you turn the ignition switch on.

Run the ground wire (the loop) to any point where you can access bare metal (preferably a pre-existing nut and bolt on bare metal)...
I guess I really don't know why I bothered telling you this, since you have an RL you probably don't care about spending a little money on having it installed... Just about any car audio place will install it (some places won't if you didn't buy it there).
I typed to much to just forget about it... Oh, and I actually would use other methods, but this was the easiest to explain...

Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS on the new RL!!!
I could only wish to have one at this point. I love these cars!!! Atleast the new ones...
Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Instructor

radar detector works with CMBS

I have rl with tech pack: radar detector works fine. (passport)

It shouldn't void any warranties unless they could prove that it or the installation caused any defects.
Also, you say that it has to be hooked up through your car's system...
There is a simple fix...
Go to almost any car parts store or maybe radio shack and pick up the cigarette lighter adapter and splice them together. May not be what you wanted, but at least it is removable and you can take it out whenever needed (like dealership visits).
Now I am curious of why you say it won't work through the system...
Do you have the radar functions (for auto braking and turning) on the car? If you do, then that would obviously be the reason. If you are not sure (I'm sure you would know though) all you have to do is look at the center of the grill where the "A" is. If you notice that the emblem is part of a plastic insert (kind of like a square insert instead of just the normal one piece center) then you have the radar!!!
That is the easiest way to tell if anyone else on the road has one as well...
Anyways, if your RL has the radar option, then I am more than sure that your radar detector wouldn't work anyways.
As for them installing it for you... Don't even bother asking them. In most states it is illegal to have a radar detector and I am sure it is part of Acura's policy to not install them.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 AM

Just curious GoHawks--did you install this yourself? Thanks

Yep, not difficult.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
AcurAdmirer

I stand corrected and I apologize for any inconvenience!

I was under the understanding that it was illegal I knew that in VA you get a ticket if they see it, you don't even have to be using it. I was told by a Police Officer that it was illegal many years ago when I had one.
But upon checking I found this excerpt...
"Currently the only state that it is illegal to operate a radar detector is Virginia and Washington D.C.
Laser jammers are illegal to operate in the states of: Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado and Washington DC.

Radar jammers are illegal to own and/or operate in all 50 states per the Federal Communications Commission.

Radar detectors are also illegal in commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds in all fifty states, per Title 49 Transportation Act.

Radar detectors are also illegal to operate on any military base."

Maybe it was the Military Base, since I knew for a fact you couldn't... Sorry for the mixup!

No problem - I just wanted to clarify. There's a lot of confusion on this issue.