do loaners cost money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
do loaners cost money?

This might be a rather stupid question, but do loaners cost money? My gut feeling is that they don't. I'm taking in my RL for the recall and for a XM problem, and brake squeal, and I requested a loaner this time around, which turned out to be the TSX. It didn't cross my mind to ask if it would cost extra, but I figured it should be free right? I may have to fill the tank up, but I really have no clue as to what to expect, considering this is my first time getting a loaner from Acura. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Loaner policies can vary from dealer to dealer.

Most Acura dealers supply a loaner, free of charge for service appointments. Not all Acura dealers will give you an Acura loaner car. It may be a rental car from a rental vendor. It is a good idea to inquire in advance of your appointment. If you are selective, your Service Advisor may better accomodate you knowing so.

My dealer uses Acura loaner cars (adorned with 'Courtesy Car' stickers on the back window). When my RL has been in for a scheduled service visit, my Service Advisor asks me 'what would you like to drive'? Nice, I've driven all the Acuras now. I have never paid for fuel used. If it is warranty work, the dealer may be charging a fee to Acura corporate for the loaner car use as part of the warranty work.

Also, you can make your appointment online via OwnerLink and it will ask if you will be needing a loaner car. If you mke the appointment online, you should also get a service appointment reminder sent to the car via AcuraLink (assuming you have your profile set up online with OwnerLink).

Also, most Acura dealers will wash and vacuum your RL (if you entrust anyone to do so!).

I find it best to build a good rapport with the Service Advisor and the Techs. It has done wonders for the quailty of my service, conveniance and the 'extra mile' perks I have been afforded. It took a little work on my part, but it has paid nice benefits in the care of my RL.

That reminds me....I better drop off those Outback Gift Cards tomorrow!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Normally loaners are free and I have never seen a Acura dealer where they were not. With that said, Lynnwood Acura doesn't even ask you to fill up, they even pay for your gas.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking "Free, maybe..."

Free, unless like me, you get a spirited 08' RDX for a loaner and wind up paying for speeding tickets ...
Old 12-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Pohanka only asked that I bring the loaner back with about the same amount of gas that was in it when I picked it up. Other than that, it was free.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer charges a $10 refueling fee. It annoys me when I am in for only warranty service and they charge me $10. I object and they remove the charge.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Advanced

It's like any other rental, return it with the amount of gas it had in it when you left. It gets very old, very fast to loan cars out with a full tank of gas only to have them come back with a half or a 1/4. Acura does not pay us every time we loan out a loaner vehicle. There are certain stipulations and circumstances in which we get paid on them.

Don't trash it. Don't bring it back filthy (dirty is acceptable). Don't bring it back low on gas (unless given to like that). Leave your god damn pets out of it (unless you clean the hair up!!)

Old 12-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Only stipulation is that I bring the loaner back the way I got it. Whatever gas I use, I replace. I usually get a new TL for a loaner
Old 12-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer asks that you return it with the same amount of gas as you started with. No other costs.

LL
Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Pro

I see, thanks for the input.

Tampa, I've been trying out every dealer close to me(I live near the LA area), and I have yet to find a dealer that's exceptional, so it's kind of hard to build good relations with the techs right now. And I never let them wash my car, well, if they want, they can gimme a tire shine, I don't mind that haha.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
My dealer asks that you return it with the same amount of gas as you started with. No other costs.

LL
Same with my dealer.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Pro

Apparently, this particular dealer needs a credit card for collateral, just in case you make a mess in the car, or don't fill up the gas. And I did not know about until I was talking to the service adviser. I've should have asked, but they also should have told me before hand when they called. And he couldn't make an exception for me to bring in the credit card with the loaner to pick up the RL. So I didn't even get to have a TSX loaner

oh well, now I know. Thanks guys for all the input!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
Apparently, this particular dealer needs a credit card for collateral, just in case you make a mess in the car, or don't fill up the gas.
Perhaps it's been a big problem for them in the past. I don't mind paying for the gas I use. If I had my own car I'd be paying for it anyway.

LL
Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Most auto manufactures would subsidize the loaner vehicles. The very few dealership that has 3 or more loaner vehicle would have to lease the remaining courtesy car. Therefore the cost would have to be past onto the consumer (eg fuel surcharge, or shop supplies)
Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 AM
JONO

Thumbs down

i live in tampa, florida and i have owned acura's for 15 years and will go the extra miles to clearwater to have my acura serviced.to all concerned stay away from FERMAN ACURA ( on florida ave) they are the worst acura dealer i have ever experienced...ever.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by jnorris2
i live in tampa, florida and i have owned acura's for 15 years and will go the extra miles to clearwater to have my acura serviced.to all concerned stay away from FERMAN ACURA ( on florida ave) they are the worst acura dealer i have ever experienced...ever.

I had a bad experience with them also. I was ready to buy my TL from them and walked. I have not gone back. I wound up contacting the Clearwater dealer and they won me over for the sale.

I continue use the other folks on the other side of the bay, and have had very good experiences, including purchasing my RL. I've gotten to know the techs and SMs there pretty well and it makes scheduled and unexpected service calls a much less anxious situation.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Moto Enthusiast

My dealership never offers loaners unless they're specifically requested. And when they are, you have to bring it back with the same amount of gas. The loaner fleet at my dealer comprises mostly of TSX's and TL's.

I'm also thinking that they do a secret tier system where they don't offer some loaners for people that own the less expensive Acura models. For example, I've noticed most TSX and RSX owners never get a loaner car. Now, there's no evidence to back up my theory, it's just what I've observed.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I get a free loaner car whenever I have my RL serviced.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:33 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by taitando
My dealership never offers loaners unless they're specifically requested. And when they are, you have to bring it back with the same amount of gas. The loaner fleet at my dealer comprises mostly of TSX's and TL's.

I'm also thinking that they do a secret tier system where they don't offer some loaners for people that own the less expensive Acura models. For example, I've noticed most TSX and RSX owners never get a loaner car. Now, there's no evidence to back up my theory, it's just what I've observed.
I own a tsx and have no problem getting loaner cars-a mdx, tl and a tsx so far.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Cruisin'

Nalley Acura

Nalley Acura in Marietta, GA treat me and my 06 RL very well.
I don't want a loaner for an oil change but if it's an overnighter or more they
step right up and offer a loaner, just refill with gas.

When I had the steering recall appointment they asked me to come in on Friday so their tech could take care of it Monday morning, they gave me a loaner for the weekend.

Good dealer,
hope I find another good dealer in the Ocala, FL area when I get there.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Racer

I just tell them when I make the appointment that I'll need a loaner. I only do it for warranty work. If there is warranty work, I wait and get my other stuff done too, like tire rotation/oil change. I usually pick the car I want too. I usually get the MDX. I've had the MDX, RL, TL and TSX. Pleasanton seems to be the best...
Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 AM
JDM FREAK

Loaner vehicles are free of charge for customers, but dealers do lease them.