Cornstarch Headlamp Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010 | 09:41 AM
Карты убийцы

Cornstarch Headlamp Covers

I'm getting the haze removed today on the headlamp covers for $35. I'll try to post before and after pics. The dude doing it said today's polycarbonate covers are essentially made out of cornstarch to break down in the landfills.

He went on to say that the EPA mandated this change a few years ago away from glass.

I'd be o.k. with the EPA decision if the covers could be replaced instead of the entire unit at $1250 each.
Old 05-09-2010 | 10:08 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The dude needs to stick to refinishing acrylic headlight covers.

There is no such EPA mandate.

Polycarbonate is a plastic, specifically thermoplastic polymer....not an organic cornstarch. Indeed, there are plastic like products made from cornstarch, such as many disposable plastic-like food containers (typical of take away / take out containers) and may are produced at plants originally designed for the "fools gold" ethanol ramp up our government has flipped-flopped over.

The RL / LEGEND headlamps covers are made from Polymethyl methacrylate, an acrylic. Use of glass is heavier, more shatter prone and slightly more dangerous in pedestrian impact situations. Indeed, Honda does include environmental impact in it's corporate philosophy with less environmental impact of materials used in the manufacturing and assembly methods. Hence we have environmentally friendly, but fragile paint on our cars. But the headlight covers are, like most car parts Honda considers, are recyclable, as would be glass. So the comparo is pretty moot in perspective to other components of the car.

If the EPA had concerns over the environmental impact of headlight covers in landfills, they are sorely misaligned with priorities. The headlight bulbs have a more serious environmental impact than do acrylic covers or most plastic used on the car. I have yet to see recycling mandates for auto bulbs which would be a wiser approach than giving the corn farmers another reason for price hikes on our Sunday morning fritters.

And for anyone interested in details of the projector beam style headlights we have on our RL, they are mentioned in Wikipedia (about halfway down the content of the page):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp
Old 05-09-2010 | 11:17 AM
Карты убийцы

^ Thanks for the info... now I scared of this $35 fix.

Whatever they are made of, it looks like Honda would have engineered them for a replacement without replacing the entire unit.

Well, I'm taking the before pics as soon as I post this in case I have to go to court.
Old 05-09-2010 | 11:43 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I would not worry too much. Lens polishing is not rocket science, and with some finesse can be done yourself with off the shelf products. My local dealer charges $75 for similar services.

I think he was just trying to razzle dazzle you with some EPA information likely passed down the automotive rumor mill.

Do show us pics of the work. And perhaps some who have DIY will chime in as to how effective off the shelf products are,
Old 05-09-2010 | 06:07 PM
Advanced

can always trust tampaRL to bust out the wikipedia.
Old 05-09-2010 | 06:11 PM
Карты убийцы

Will post pics asap...

It took him about 35 minutes. He started out with 500g sandpaper while wetsanding with some sort of green spray. Washed that off with a hose and repeated with 1200g paper. Washed that off, and repeated with 2500g paper. All sanding was done by hand.

At this point, I began to sweat because when he dried the covers, they were completely white.

He then used his "special" polish and rinsed again.

At this point he dried the covers and applied a sealant.

WOW!!!! They are restored to new. All of the hazing is gone! Clear as a bell!

He said it will take up to 72 hours for the sealant to completely cure and they will only look better.

Now my problem is the great lamp covers accents the shitty road chips, bug guts, and other marks in the paint on the front end.
Old 05-09-2010 | 06:32 PM
Карты убийцы

Before:

After (sun is in way):

Old 05-09-2010 | 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah polishing headlights is pretty simple. 3M makes a decent kit that you use a drill and makes things very easy.

Headlights were changed to plastic for safety reasons like previously stated. UNfortunately polishing of the headlights is a process you will need to repeat pretty regularly ( every year or 2 depending)

Oh and the only reason headlights get like that in the first place is simply lack of good exterior cleaning.
Old 05-09-2010 | 06:49 PM
Карты убийцы

Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
Yeah polishing headlights is pretty simple. 3M makes a decent kit that you use a drill and makes things very easy.

Headlights were changed to plastic for safety reasons like previously stated. UNfortunately polishing of the headlights is a process you will need to repeat pretty regularly ( every year or 2 depending)

Oh and the only reason headlights get like that in the first place is simply lack of good exterior cleaning.
The corn starch dude indicated that time would cause the hazing, no matter the usage or cleaning.

I I wash my car once a week but never had it detailed or a true wax job.

He's going to claybar it next Saturday for $75.
Old 05-09-2010 | 07:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you polish them every once in a while and keep the car pretty clean it shouldnt get that bad again. Its one of those little extra steps that you wont see the difference then and there, but in the long run its good upkeep.
Old 05-09-2010 | 09:12 PM
Safety Car

Once polished, put a PPF on it, as shown here. This is not necessarily where you should get it from, but it is a good illustration.

I have this on my headlights and fog lights, in fact the whole front of the car, and would not buy another car without it, especially in dark colors. The paint preservation and headlight preservation is fantastic.
https://www.xpel.com/products/headli...e=1&model=1125
Old 05-10-2010 | 12:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Aside from the usual dirt, salt and roadgrime, I believe the hazing is mostly from sun damage.

My last 4 vehicles never had any hazing on the acrylic covers. They were all garaged at home and at the office.

The vehicle that did have cloudiness was 5 vehicles ago. It was cleaned and cared for equally if not moreso than the last 4...but it was parked outdoors at home and at work.
Old 05-10-2010 | 01:37 PM
Racer

The paint on front bumpers seem rather prone to chips....I have easily hundreds......annoying, but there isn't much that can be done at this point. I should have used a protective sheet.
Old 05-10-2010 | 03:39 PM
Карты убийцы

I may put a bra on that biatch to cover the imperfections in her rack.
Old 05-11-2010 | 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator

You definitely are a candidate for a clear bra including headlight and foglight coverage. It costs some money but is better than paying for a front end repaint or freshening of the headlamps.

And cornstarch? LOLOL.....
Old 05-12-2010 | 10:49 AM
Instructor

get a set of these.....they are a PITA to put on but well worth it

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/xpel...protection.cfm

sorry..I see chas2 beat me to this already