Cold Weather Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Cold Weather Noise

I have searched the archives with no luck so I'll ask the question.
On mornings when it's below freezing, the noise I hear almost sounds like a high pitched tuning fork. At first I thought maybe the wheel bearings haven't warmed up yet but the sound will fade in and out even after the car is warmed up. The other thing is, it happens only occasionly when its cold out. I'm not really concerned about it, just curious what it is. TIA
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Based on your comment to the wheel bearings, I assume it occurs when the vehicle is moving?

Is it continuous or subject to speed or throttle control? If it is linked to movement, it may be something in the driveline, suspension or transmission warming. If it is throttle related (does it react with throttle when in Park or Neutral?), it may be a vacuum issue.

The two 'whines' reported on the RL have been the drive shaft bearings, and the fuel pump (normal).

Try to better isolate conditions which it occurs. Tat will also better help the tech make any needed repair.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Based on your comment to the wheel bearings, I assume it occurs when the vehicle is moving?

Is it continuous or subject to speed or throttle control? If it is linked to movement, it may be something in the driveline, suspension or transmission warming. If it is throttle related (does it react with throttle when in Park or Neutral?), it may be a vacuum issue.

The two 'whines' reported on the RL have been the drive shaft bearings, and the fuel pump (normal).

Try to better isolate conditions which it occurs. Tat will also better help the tech make any needed repair.
Yes, I only hear it when the vehicle is moving. There is no apparent correlation to the speed I'm going. Also, the sound doesn't change in intensity. It usually lasts about 10 seconds and fades out and then may repeat. Eventually it just goes away.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Check your fluid levels. I've had cold weather power steering noises in the past (not with the RL though) that went away when I topped off the fluid.

LL
Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Haha finally found someone with my little issue. The noise is the ANC. To confirm it is very simple. When the car is making the noise, cover the microphone hole with your finger (its in the headliner behind of the headliner control pod(closer to you) ) the sound will change in pitch. The noise varies slightly with the engine's RPM's and disappears as soon as the interior warms up. My guess is that the mike is sensitive to the cold or has some frozen humidity on its tiny little diaphragm. I gave the microphone a few quick blast of compressed air and my "noise" hasn't recurred, however, I don't know if its trully solved since it hasn't been below zero around here for a few days. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Haha finally found someone with my little issue. The noise is the ANC. To confirm it is very simple. When the car is making the noise, cover the microphone hole with your finger (its in the headliner behind of the headliner control pod(closer to you) ) the sound will change in pitch. The noise varies slightly with the engine's RPM's and disappears as soon as the interior warms up. My guess is that the mike is sensitive to the cold or has some frozen humidity on its tiny little diaphragm. I gave the microphone a few quick blast of compressed air and my "noise" hasn't recurred, however, I don't know if its trully solved since it hasn't been below zero around here for a few days. Hope this helps.
Thanks Bud,

My first day on this forum and you solved a problem for me.

AL
Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Pro

That sounds like a good candidate for the source of the noise. The next time I hear it I'll follow your instructions. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

If it's based on my experiences, it is a whine coming from the driveline/rear differential. It only happens on extremely cold days and it's from the diff fluid being very cold. My guess is that the ANC is trying to compensate for it and that's why you hear a different pitch when covering the mic.

The readon why I know it's not a change in cabin temp is that the noise disappearing is based on amount driven and not cabin temp. In other words, the noise goes away after about a quarter mile or so of drving, BEFORE the climate control actually starts to engage.

On the other hand, I've let the car idle until the cabin heats up, and it still makes the noise until you've driven it a bit.

It only happens when it's REAL cold.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GoHawks
If it's based on my experiences, it is a whine coming from the driveline/rear differential. It only happens on extremely cold days and it's from the diff fluid being very cold. My guess is that the ANC is trying to compensate for it and that's why you hear a different pitch when covering the mic.

The readon why I know it's not a change in cabin temp is that the noise disappearing is based on amount driven and not cabin temp. In other words, the noise goes away after about a quarter mile or so of drving, BEFORE the climate control actually starts to engage.

On the other hand, I've let the car idle until the cabin heats up, and it still makes the noise until you've driven it a bit.

It only happens when it's REAL cold.
You've got a different cold whine! The ANC one is not a compensatory noise, its all entirely due to the mike.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

I have started noticing this as well. I am not sure what your definition of "REAL cold" is, but I hear the noise when the temp is in the mid-to low 30's. I will also see what happens when I cover the mic. I have also been able to make it happen on cue by controlling the speed and acceleration. I have slowly accelerate to about 28 MPH, and then hold the speed there, the sound will stay active until I either speed up a little more or take my foot off the accelerator.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jblankatl
I have started noticing this as well. I am not sure what your definition of "REAL cold" is, but I hear the noise when the temp is in the mid-to low 30's. I will also see what happens when I cover the mic. I have also been able to make it happen on cue by controlling the speed and acceleration. I have slowly accelerate to about 28 MPH, and then hold the speed there, the sound will stay active until I either speed up a little more or take my foot off the accelerator.

In my situation, it has to be close to 0F, and the car has to have been out all day. It won't happen when I leave in the morning (my car is garaged), but it'll occur when I leave work and the temp has stayed in the single digits all day.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by GoHawks
In my situation, it has to be close to 0F, and the car has to have been out all day. It won't happen when I leave in the morning (my car is garaged), but it'll occur when I leave work and the temp has stayed in the single digits all day.
Thats my expirience too. The noise is similar to what you get in a car radio that has not been adequately grounded.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Pro

I started hearing the noise again this morning (very faint). I went to put my finger over the microphone and ended up hitting the rear window visor button. I had to turn on the cabin light to see where the mike is located and by that time the noise was gone. Next time I'll be ready.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Pro

Well the blast of air appears not to be the solution. Today is was in the single digits again and after sitting outside all day my noise was back. A couple of taps on the mike and it was gone, obviously the mike is sensitive to frigid temps.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Pro

Is there any information on the ANC microphone? I searched the owner's manual, the Navigation manual, quick reference guide, and even watched the owners video again to see if I missed it. Is it referenced anywhere in the owner's stockpile of guides and manuals?

I assume it's that little button dead center and directly behind the overhead console?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by robarsan
Is there any information on the ANC microphone? I searched the owner's manual, the Navigation manual, quick reference guide, and even watched the owners video again to see if I missed it. Is it referenced anywhere in the owner's stockpile of guides and manuals?

I assume it's that little button dead center and directly behind the overhead console?
Yes it is.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Yes but there are other's located in the rear as well. I added speakers to my RL and it created a hum noise in them that was only correctable by disconecting the mic's themselves. Just unplug them if you think they are the culprit to your problem, I havent found that they help all that much to begin with anyway before I put my speakers in.

I have a noise similar but Its dependent on RPM it seems and occurs when accelerating from a stop and rpm is around 3500 and results in a whine that you can hear espically when driving next to barriers of some kind with the passenger window down. The whine comes from the passenger front side it sounds like and goes out when you get above a certain rpm. The dealer has yet to determine what the hell it is on 3 attempts so far.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
My car has a whine but covering the ANC microphone had no effect. I don't think it is driveline related because it goes up and down in frequency independent of engine rpm or road speed. It is highly variable, almost a soft whistling sound like what one hears as a refrigerant control valve operates.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Pro

Covering the ANC mike didn't work for me either. Every time I did cover the mike, I could hear a low grumbling sound through the speakers. Maybe the cause is related to a vacuum issue, or fuel pump.

I'll have to pay more attention to what's happening when that high pitched sound returns.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

Yep, Got cold again the Noise is Back.

Bummer.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by robarsan
Covering the ANC mike didn't work for me either. Every time I did cover the mike, I could hear a low grumbling sound through the speakers. Maybe the cause is related to a vacuum issue, or fuel pump.

I'll have to pay more attention to what's happening when that high pitched sound returns.
The "grumbling" is normal when you cover the mic.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gavine
The "grumbling" is normal when you cover the mic.
I realize that... I shouldn't have ran my sentences together. The comment about "the cause could be a vacuum issue or fuel pump" was referring to the elusive high pitched sound
Old 03-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
My RL's noise is not temperature related. It was 70+ degrees here in NC yesterday and the noise was occurring.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 PM
6th Gear

I know your problem.

I recently had the same situation on my 2005 RL. I took it to my dealership at which time the car wasn't making the noise. Go figure! Anyway, I left my car with the dealership to have the front brake TSB fixed and low and behold, they found the noise. It's the propeller shaft bearing, more than likely. This is not normal and has been a nuisance for several 2005 acura RL owners. The propeller shaft bearing is connected to the carbon fiber drive shaft. The part is roughly $2,000. If you are still in warranty, which I hope you are for your sake, this will be no problem. Don't let the dealership give you any crap. This is not a normal noise and needs to fixed before your warranty runs out. The problem was fixed with the 2006 RL. However, acura has not revealed the true cause behind this problem. Let me know how things go.
Jeff
Old 03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
6th Gear

Correction

The problem carried over to early model 2006. Keep me posted.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jjrraass
I recently had the same situation on my 2005 RL.
Jeff
Jeff, was the noise from your vehicle present in just below freezing temps, or was it happening regardless of the temperature? I'm seeing a variety of symptoms in this thread, so if you could better define your situation, that would be a big help.

BTW, the temps in my neck of the woods have been above freezing lately, and I haven't heard the noise.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:06 PM
6th Gear

noise

The noise was definitely amplified in cold weather. I remember that it would dissipate in warmer weather. The weather has a definite effect on the propeller shaft bearing. I am positive this is your problem. The dealership didn't beleive it was my propeller shaft until I brought it in and proved it.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jjrraass
The noise was definitely amplified in cold weather. I remember that it would dissipate in warmer weather. The weather has a definite effect on the propeller shaft bearing. I am positive this is your problem. The dealership didn't beleive it was my propeller shaft until I brought it in and proved it.

I am glad I found something online in regards to this. I have a 2005 RL and the noise is driving me crazy. I want to make sure its the same thing that you had jjrraass. I don't hear the noise when im in the car if this windows are up. I can hear it loud and clear when im standing outside of it and I hear it extremely loud when I put my ear to the rear drivers side wheel. Its a high pitched sound and for me it is usually always on. Sometimes when the car first starts(in the morning after being off the entire night) I may not hear it but once the car has been on for more then 5 minutes its always there. High pitched squeal is how I would describe it.

I went to the dealership today. First guy said it was my speed sensor, second guy said its normal its the fuel pump I can't do anything for you. PLEASE help!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselap
I am glad I found something online in regards to this. I have a 2005 RL and the noise is driving me crazy. I want to make sure its the same thing that you had jjrraass. I don't hear the noise when im in the car if this windows are up. I can hear it loud and clear when im standing outside of it and I hear it extremely loud when I put my ear to the rear drivers side wheel. Its a high pitched sound and for me it is usually always on. Sometimes when the car first starts(in the morning after being off the entire night) I may not hear it but once the car has been on for more then 5 minutes its always there. High pitched squeal is how I would describe it.

I went to the dealership today. First guy said it was my speed sensor, second guy said its normal its the fuel pump I can't do anything for you. PLEASE help!
The high pitch rear driver's side noise is definitely the fuel pump. My 05 RL had it, and the 06 does as well. It's really only noticeable to me when the car is parked. It's not an issue.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dwboston
The high pitch rear driver's side noise is definitely the fuel pump. My 05 RL had it, and the 06 does as well. It's really only noticeable to me when the car is parked. It's not an issue.
Is it normal? Its a pretty obvious noise right? You hear it loud and clear when your outside standing next to the car? Just want to make sure nothing is wrong, and kind of hoping that there is a solution because its kind of annoying.

Thats interesting that they would design it in such a way if it is normal behavior. I had a TL and it didn't make any such noise. You would think the RL would be even quieter then the TL.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselap
Is it normal? Its a pretty obvious noise right? You hear it loud and clear when your outside standing next to the car? Just want to make sure nothing is wrong, and kind of hoping that there is a solution because its kind of annoying.

Thats interesting that they would design it in such a way if it is normal behavior. I had a TL and it didn't make any such noise. You would think the RL would be even quieter then the TL.
It's a normal operating characteristic...at least according to the 2 dealers I asked. I only notice it when the car is parked and idling when I get out to check the mail.