Cleveland Auto Show: RL-specific comments (updated w/pix)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Cleveland Auto Show: RL-specific comments (updated w/pix)

Latest in our series on how Acura portrays its cars at auto shows...

Today was the first day of the Cleveland Auto Show, one of the oldest in the country and traditionally the fifth largest by attendance. You would think the automakers would send their best concepts to this particular show. Nope! But that's for another thread.

I'll edit this post with pics later.

The Acura display was much larger than usual in Cleveland this year, and actually away from the back wall of the I-X Center where it usually resides. They are clearly trying to sell the MDX and RDX as they were on a seperate dais with their names prominently displayed on the floor.

TL with A-Spec wheels (but not body kit)

TSX with A-Spec wheels

MDX base center stack

The ASC was not there. I guess they couldn't get it fixed in time for the Cleveland show, making me happier that I went to Detroit to see it. The overal display was pretty good, much better than usual. I wish they'd brought the SH-AWD display and portal viewers they had in Detroit, that would have brought a lot more people to the Acura display. If I were in charge of auto show marketing......but I'm not

Anyway, the RL-specific comments.

They had a base model and a Tech model (e.g. no ACC or CMBS), widely seperated. The Tech model, with those dowdy wheels, was left out to pasture at the furthest extent of the display. As such, it got little attention compared to the TL and TSX dolled up with A-Spec wheels and, in the case of the TSX, an A-Spec body kit.

The base model got more attention as it was just to the left of the dais containing the SUVs. I ran into an older colleague of mine who owns a 2G TL and was looking at the base RL with his adult son. As I was talking to him about how I traded my TL for the 2G RL and loved it, an older couple came up to me and started asking questions about the RL. Turns out the gentleman owns a 2005 TL and was basically looking at an RL for the softer ride and wanted to ask me about the car so as not to get the typical salesman's view. I happily obliged. He was a little concerned about the technology. I basically did a runthrough of the tech available in the base model, telling him that instead of a nav system he'd have a compass and trip computer. He was pretty pleased that the navi was optional. He asked about the ride and I told him about the ride quality with both stock and A-Spec suspensions (he's probably a stock suspension guy), and that A-Spec was a dealer-installed option. I pulled out my key fob and demonstrated (as best I could) the keyless entry system, the keyless start system, and the fact that you can't lock the keys in the car. They wanted to know whether they could get a good deal off MSRP on the base (we all know the answer here, eh?).

In all, I spent about 20 minutes going over the car with this couple. Acura should give ME a commission as I probably sold an RL by myself. Basically, this is the sort of customer Acura has been trying to get to buy the RL ("older" folks with money), but have been losing because of the tech. I was unconvinced of the good of the base model until this encounter today.

Acura needs to pull its head out of its butt as far as marketing the RL. Oh wait, I'm beating a dead horse.

I've never sat in a base model, here's my pic of the center stack. Notice the buttons by the control knob...."compass", "trip" instead of what we have in our pre-07s or 07s with tech.

As for people like me who like cars, they should have had one dolled up car with better wheels than those lousy base ones. Put some A-Spec wheels on the car. Hell, contract with RonJon to provide his exclusive wheels for RLs in car shows! They had no trouble putting A-Spec wheels on the TSX and TL.

They could borrow my car for the week (it's way hotter than stock) and put me in an MDX or something.

Oh, I got several compliments in the auto show parking lot on my car.

In any case, sorry to be so longwinded....
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Neuronbob:

Acura definitely should give you multiple commissions. We've never met and your review of your new TL back in Fall, 2003 helped in my decision to purchase one myself. Now I'm looking at the RL and once again your comments have been very helpful.

No commission is coming so how about some thanks from a fellow poster.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Moderator

I updated my original post with pix and also added a few comments. Enjoy!

I'll have my other auto show pix up later today, have to slide (it's an ice storm here!) to work shortly.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:43 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm not sure I'm with you on the target market you envision. "Older people with money" applies only because anyone buying a $50,000 car needs to "have money".

But, trust me, all people over 60 aren't afraid of technology ... in fact, many of us wouldn't consider cars that don't have enough of it, especially if we're going to pay that much money for it. As far as I'm concerned, a car without a good Nav system isn't even in the running, and things like backup cameras, keyless entry and ignition and Bluetooth are also at the top of my list. And I don't think I'm the exception these days. Many of the seniors who shy away from tech are either over 70 (and missed out on the tech explosion), or are too concerned about finances to afford a 50k car anyway.

I guess that's one reason I don't think the "stripper" RL is going to garner many sales. I figure people looking to buy in this price range are expecting to get lots of bells and whistles ... otherwise, they're looking at Avalons and Buicks.

BTW - does anyone else think the MDX's grille looks like a big pair of fat lips?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

It's not the market I envision. I suspect it is the one Acura envisions, rather than the tech-savvy folks of any age (like those of us who frequent online message boards) that they ought to be chasing with the RL. I apologize if I offended.

As far as marketing a base-model RL, the only big difference between that and the tech model is lack of the navi, and the particular guy I spoke with was happy it was an option, whether he chooses it or not. Acura needs to get that message out to its potential customers because there are plenty of people who still think a navi is a $2.5k toy.

The MDX's grille reminds me of an armored car. Or, perhaps, a rhino. All it needs is the horn to complete the effect! But trust me, inside, other than having a little less space than the Pilot in the rear because of its curving roof, it is a different story. It's actually pretty good.

Edit: I'll be posting an interior comparison between the RL and its major competitors when I get a chance today.

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm not sure I'm with you on the target market you envision. "Older people with money" applies only because anyone buying a $50,000 car needs to "have money". .
Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
No offense taken. I just hear people say things from time to time that makes me think they consider anyone over 30 to be cavemen (uh-oh, I just offended Geico. ).

But unfortunately it's true that some "older" people are afraid of techy stuff like Nav, when they're at least in as much need of it as anyone else (if not more at times). I mean, older folks often need to find people and places they haven't ever been to before or in a long time, and even places they've been to are changing so rapidly that a Nav system would be a huge help. And I don't think for a minute the 2 grand pricetag is an issue, when they're buying a 50k car in the first place.

I still say Nav should be - and probably will be before long - standard equipment in everything but starter cars. And I still say, too, that deleting the Nav won't make RL's suddenly more desirable to buyers.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great pictures! I went and test drove an RL w/tech and I absolutely love it! Your comments on the RL were also very helpful. I was trying to decide between a TL-S or an RL, (all depends if my wife takes my 05 TL), and I would definitely buy an RL.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As usual neuronbob has left us speechless with his commentaries. I think you should contact Acura and work in their marketing division, or perhaps their PR department. I know it's nothing like your current job, but a free car would be nice and you can pass your RL to me and I'll pass my TL to 1osunut so he can win car shows!

Thanks for the info! And hows that baby? Will we see you at the Jay Hondafest this year?