Class Settlement Lawsuit - 02 thru 06 Rl's affected

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class Settlement Lawsuit - 02 thru 06 Rl's affected

I'm not sure if this old news or not but I just received in the mail a Class Settlement Lawsuit that affects people that purchased or leased a Honda or Acura model year 02 through 06.

Apparently, there was an issue with the odometer on certain cars. In any event, if the court approves the proposed settlement scheduled for May 30, 2007, Honda/Acura will extend the mileage limitation of all warranties by 5%.

For example: A 3 year/36,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty will be extended to 3 years/37,800.

Anyone else got this letter?
Old 01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I received my letter last week.

Yeah, this is old news but is still important to know. It's stickied in the 2G and 3G TL forums, in fact.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Pro

Sorry but I hate lawyers.
They make huge money off of these suits and the consumer gets peanuts.
I have had one where they offered me $50 settlement and they got millions of dollars, no thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Pro

I have not received any notice. Does the settlement, by default, extend to all Acura owners for the relevant period, or does it only benefit those who participated in the settlement by opting in? Details, please!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:39 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Originally Posted by kenny5
I have not received any notice. Does the settlement, by default, extend to all Acura owners for the relevant period, or does it only benefit those who participated in the settlement by opting in? Details, please!
I quote, "No action is required if you wish to participate in the Settlement, although if you wish to make a monetary claim you must submit a claim form and supporting information".

If you have not received this letter, you could call 888-888-3082 or visit www.odosettlementinfo.com for more information.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
They make huge money off of these suits and the consumer gets peanuts.
I have had one where they offered me $50 settlement and they got millions of dollars, no thanks.
While I agree with the sentiment about lawyers getting rich while class lawsuit members get squat, I'm going to take advantage of whatever is offered. I'd feel pretty crappy if my engine took a nosedive three miles after the "official" warranty ran out!

I haven't gotten a letter, either, so thanks FromTLtoRL for the info!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're not too fond of you, either.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

I got mine last friday.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I rcvd mine last week also. I suppose it will also cover our 2004 RSX-S. Now, hopefully the dealers will be well aware of this 'settlement'.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw the Honda/Acura odometer class action lawsuit on the news last week. I didn't receive any notice, so I did some research online and of course checked the RL forum.

Are the dealerships saying anything about the "proposed" settlement? Well, I assume they wouldn't until after the final hearing.

Class Action Odometer Lawsuit information:

"If you bought or leased a model year 2002 through 2006 Honda or Acura automobile or a model year 2007 Honda Fit, in the United States or its territories, between April 13, 2002 and November 7, 2006, you may be entitled to receive benefits under a class action settlement.

The settlement will lengthen the warranty mileage of affected vehicles by 5% and Honda will pay lease-mileage penalties incurred by owners, which is expected to cost the automaker around $6 million."

“Proposed” Settlement Benefits:
1. Warranty extensions
2. Reimbursement of repairs
3. Lease extensions
4. Reimbursement of lease excessive mileage charges

Settlement benefits will be given after a judge approves settlement at the hearing set for May 30, 2007.

For more information, please see URL: http://www.odosettlementinfo.com/
FAQs about the lawsuit: http://www.odosettlementinfo.com/Vau...nal%20FAQs.pdf
Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 AM
Pro

This is just money for the lawyers, my Acura service guy told me they cover major items that are just past warranty (like 5%) all the time.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Instructor

Class action suits are nothing but feeding trays for lawyers. The consumer gets hosed..
Old 04-16-2007, 09:14 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Haven't ever received the notice, but that apparently doesn't matter.

I agree class actions inure almost exclusively to the benefit of the attorneys, but it will at least add 2250 miles to the allowable for a 15,000 miles per year lease. If it prevails, I'll try real hard to drive an extra 2250 miles to get my money's worth.

BTW, I guess this means we've all been getting 5% lower gas mileage than we thought, huh?

Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Haven't ever received the notice, but that apparently doesn't matter.

I agree class actions inure almost exclusively to the benefit of the attorneys, but it will at least add 2250 miles to the allowable for a 15,000 miles per year lease. If it prevails, I'll try real hard to drive an extra 2250 miles to get my money's worth.

BTW, I guess this means we've all been getting 5% lower gas mileage than we thought, huh?

Maybe the can ask the lawyers with all their millions about the gas mileage.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Lawyer should hide their heads It says in the letter they want 10 million for their part. ACURA LOTTO
Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Pro

$10 million is sick.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Pro

It is stupid suits like this that raise the price on consumer goods all over our country, sad.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 AM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
It is stupid suits like this that raise the price on consumer goods all over our country, sad.
I agree. These scum bag lawyers just hit the jackpot by going after deep pockets like Honda, et al. Some junior lawyer will gain partnership after winning this suit. Bastards.

Why the next thing you know, trial lawyers like John Edwards, will be going after fast food, oh, that's been done...they'll be going after big tobacco, that's been covered too...ummm... they'll be going after drug companies. [/end sarcasm]

These lawyers are no different than Jesse Jackson, the race-baiting shake down artist, who's extorted MILLIONS from major corporations like Toyota, etc.

They can take their class action law suit and cram it up their ASSES!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by FN P90
I agree. These scum bag lawyers just hit the jackpot by going after deep pockets like Honda, et al. Some junior lawyer will gain partnership after winning this suit. Bastards.
Until you need one, or have a gripe. Then who are you going to call?

Jealous much? I mean, the part that seems to bother you is that the lawyer makes a fee, not that the corporation takes a hit. Wishing you were that junior partner, huh?

According to the suit papers, there were potentially 6 million affected vehicles. Honda settled it for about a buck per vehicle, including attorney's fees.

Would you pay a lawyer a buck to get back 5% of your car warranty?

But, seriously.... Tell me how else you expect to regulate commercial enterprise. You want the government to legislate every single item of production? No, of course you don't -- we'd all be driving diesel 1980 Buicks if that were the case.

None of these types of cases are enough to allow an individual to effectively recover. But clearly, you can't argue that you were not wronged by losing 5% of your warranty coverage. If you lease, it's a big deal -- it's 5% of miles X $0.20 a mile -- if you have a 15K lease (like I do) that's potentially $450 out of my pocket at the end of the lease. Is that worth you paying a buck to a lawyer? Because on a per-vehicle basis, that's what you're talking about -- just one dollar.

Given that it's a private wrong, based in contract, there's no other remedy for it, other than to sue. But it's not worth suing on an individual basis. It only makes sense to redress these kinds of claims en masse.

Class action firms may take four or five cases a year, hoping to get a hit on one of them. They have to hire experts, do market research, gather consumer data... its an enormous amount of work. Literally, you have no idea what's involved -- it's a lot of grunt work, moving data around, sorting through millions of pages of paper -- and it takes time and effort to perform.

You're talking about printing class notices for literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, if not millions, of affected car owners. Plus taking out advertising in newspapers and magazines...hosting websites. And paying experts to support the claims. And doing mass mail drops to potentially affected car owners. ALL OF THIS COSTS A LOT OF MONEY.

All of this work has to be done before the class can be certified. That is, there has to be a showing that there is a class of affected persons with a similar wrong, and that there's some evidence of a claim. Only after the class certification is granted by the judge does it become a class action. But all the work needs to be done BEFORE that point, and the law firm is taking it on the come -- if there's no class certification, there's no potential of getting attorneys fees. So, the firm may (and often does) do an enormous amount of work for nothing.

The "fee award" in a class action is based upon several items -- notably, work performed and expenses. There's a number called the "lodestar" that is calculated by multiplying the total hours actually worked by the firm, by a reasonable rate. It's a court-approved rate, and the judge has to approve all fee awards as fair and reasonable.

At the end of the day, then, given the amount of consumers (including you) who are getting the benefit of (a) the class action suit itself, and (b) the penalty effect of keeping car makers and other makers of consumer products honest, the one or two bucks per car doesn't seem so unreasonable, does it?

But since you can't see past your own nose to be jealous of those "rich lawyers" then I guess it doesn't matter, does it?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Instructor

When they cash the check do they have to backup to the counter.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Originally Posted by jftjr
Class action firms may take four or five cases a year, hoping to get a hit on one of them. They have to hire experts, do market research, gather consumer data... its an enormous amount of work. Literally, you have no idea what's involved -- it's a lot of grunt work, moving data around, sorting through millions of pages of paper -- and it takes time and effort to perform.
Those poor hard working grunts. At the end of the day, it's American Honda that pays ALL of their COSTS. The actual owner might get a small rebate or a free oil change, while the bottom feeders walk away with MILLIONS.

The last class action suit I was involved in was some wireless company. I decided to see what I'd get after attorney fees and costs were paid. I walked away with 2 dollars. Nice!

But since you can't see past your own nose to be jealous of those "rich lawyers" then I guess it doesn't matter, does it?
Yep, I can't see past my nose and I'm so jealous of those class action lawyers. I guess I struck a nerve with you and YOUR profession. Have you ever had a real job or are you just a bottom-feeding class action lawyer?

I really feel sorry for those low paid, humble, class action lawyers.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:23 PM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by FN P90
Those poor hard working grunts. At the end of the day, it's American Honda that pays ALL of their COSTS. The actual owner might get a small rebate or a free oil change, while the bottom feeders walk away with MILLIONS.
Except that millions of people walk away with something, not just one, and the law firms have already spent millions of dollars.

And why shouldn't Honda pay the costs? They're the ones who committed the wrong.

But again, you can't see past what's in it for you.

The last class action suit I was involved in was some wireless company. I decided to see what I'd get after attorney fees and costs were paid. I walked away with 2 dollars. Nice!
This proves my point exactly. You were wronged for $2. But there were probably thousands, maybe millions of people who were wronged for the $2. On a per-claim basis, it isn't that expensive.

Yep, I can't see past my nose and I'm so jealous of those class action lawyers. I guess I struck a nerve with you and YOUR profession. Have you ever had a real job or are you just a bottom-feeding class action lawyer?
I really feel sorry for those low paid, humble, class action lawyers.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a class action lawyer. Yes, I've held plenty of "real" jobs -- including working for the law firm I now own.

You didn't strike any nerves with me. I thought that maybe if I explained the realities of the situation it might get through to someone. But obviously, if you're just going to hate lawyers, you're just going to hate lawyers.

But wait until you get arrested, divorced, in an auto accident, or wronged by a business. You'll be picking up the Yellow Pages and looking for the biggest lawyer ad on the page....
Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Read John Grishom's "King of Torts". It exposes the peak and vallies of such attornies. I, for one, am glad to get 5% added to my warranty at no cost. On the other hand, last year my 1999 Honda Prelude needed a tranny replaced at 80000 miles (well out of warranty)and Honda did repair free of charge (I paid labor). I feel they are good about warranted repairs past warranty period.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:30 PM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not a class action lawyer. Yes, I've held plenty of "real" jobs -- including working for the law firm I now own.
Some of my best friends are lawyers. Can't we all just get along?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

I love lawyers. Oops, now I can't see past my own nose. It just grew.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Wink

Healthy debate, gentlemen...healthy debate. After all we are RL owners. Let's not make it personal.....like the posters in that OTHER forum!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:59 PM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Healthy debate, gentlemen...healthy debate. After all we are RL owners. Let's not make it personal.....like the posters in that OTHER forum!
Fair enough. Please don't sue me.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Pro

Not all lawyers are the same. While class action lawyers may be able to justify their huge fees, I just cannot respect those lawyers suing McDonalds/Burger King because their FAT or OBESE clients love to chow burgers.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kenny5
Not all lawyers are the same. While class action lawyers may be able to justify their huge fees, I just cannot respect those lawyers suing McDonalds/Burger King because their FAT or OBESE clients love to chow burgers.

Right, not all the same, like I have a lot of respect for the likes of OJ trial lawyers, NOT.
I got off of jury duty because I told the Judge that I do not trust defense lawyers because they distort the truth, like the OJ trial, so he let me off.

Or like they say during interviews, my client did nothing wrong, sure, whould they EVER say anything but.

Just my venting on what they have done to our society, soooo many examples.

Can't even give some female a compliment at work anymore, lawsuit.