The brilliance of the new electric sh-awd

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The brilliance of the new electric sh-awd

After reading about this new system I thought how interesting and easy it would be to create a Legend Limo. No drive shaft, etc (Yeah, with retirement I have WAY to much time on my hands!)
But then I started thinking about ALL the things that E SH-AWD solve not only in a limo but how it might affect the day to day of the new RL

Turning radius binding. We know that the turning radius is not exceptional on the RL but by eliminating the drive shaft and relying on the electronic control system, low speed maneuvers will be MUCH easier as the system determines the torque and spin rate of the wheels that would normally bind when making a tight turn or backing up.

City driving economy. In the city the RL becomes a rear wheel drive all electric car. At speeds up to 25 MPH the rear wheels using only electricity move the car. With stop and go traffic speeds, the rear wheel drive and / or the front engine 40 HP electric engine (when needed) do everything and the gasoline engine may never engage.

High speed aerodynamics. While traveling at highways speeds, since there is no need for a transmission tunnel, the bottom of the car can be made more aerodynamic. Therefore better MPG at highways speeds.

This last part is PURE speculation, but years ago I remember listening to a show on horsepower needed to keep a vehicle moving on a highway versus the horse power need to get it to speeds. I "thought" it was that once a car reached 65 MPH it needed 18 horsepower to keep it going at that speed, but I could be wrong Each of the rear motors provides 27 HP (according to the article on AutoBlog) that should be more than enough to keep a heavy car like the RL cruising on flat stretches of interstate. With proper engine management is it possible that the RL could avoid using it's slick new DI V-6 engine while cruising??

Could Honda actually have a clue about going in the right direction for the future??
Old 02-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Originally Posted by Benush
This last part is PURE speculation, but years ago I remember listening to a show on horsepower needed to keep a vehicle moving on a highway versus the horse power need to get it to speeds. I "thought" it was that once a car reached 65 MPH it needed 18 horsepower to keep it going at that speed, but I could be wrong Each of the rear motors provides 27 HP (according to the article on AutoBlog) that should be more than enough to keep a heavy car like the RL cruising on flat stretches of interstate. With proper engine management is it possible that the RL could avoid using it's slick new DI V-6 engine while cruising??
Absolutely correct. During acceleration, the engine has to change the potential energy in the gas into potential energy in the mass of the car while also overcoming the resistive forces of friction. When the car is at constant speed, all the engine has to do is overcome the resistive forces of friction to maintain the speed. This also assumes a flat surface because inclines have A LOT of play in efficiency. That's why the Autobahn does not ever have more than a 4 degree incline at any point in it.
The following users liked this post:
Litt (02-09-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
here's more detail than you probably want to know

http://phors.locost7.info/phors06.htm
oo7spy (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Thank you for confirming what I already knew.

(Air resistance is friction too. )
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts

We want, at the end, to have v in miles per hour, but we need v in feet per seconds for the calculations to come out right. We recall that there are 22 feet per second for every 15 miles per hour, giving us
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

60% of the time it works every time.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL

We want, at the end, to have v in miles per hour, but we need v in feet per seconds for the calculations to come out right. We recall that there are 22 feet per second for every 15 miles per hour, giving us
AAAAAAAAAAAAA! Make it stop, make it stop!
HEAVY_RL (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
After reading about this new system I thought how interesting and easy it would be to create a Legend Limo. No drive shaft, etc (Yeah, with retirement I have WAY to much time on my hands!)
But then I started thinking about ALL the things that E SH-AWD solve not only in a limo but how it might affect the day to day of the new RL

Turning radius binding. We know that the turning radius is not exceptional on the RL but by eliminating the drive shaft and relying on the electronic control system, low speed maneuvers will be MUCH easier as the system determines the torque and spin rate of the wheels that would normally bind when making a tight turn or backing up.

City driving economy. In the city the RL becomes a rear wheel drive all electric car. At speeds up to 25 MPH the rear wheels using only electricity move the car. With stop and go traffic speeds, the rear wheel drive and / or the front engine 40 HP electric engine (when needed) do everything and the gasoline engine may never engage.

High speed aerodynamics. While traveling at highways speeds, since there is no need for a transmission tunnel, the bottom of the car can be made more aerodynamic. Therefore better MPG at highways speeds.

Could Honda actually have a clue about going in the right direction for the future??
Great post.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Safety Car

I agree. Now, let's see the damn thing!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
please transfer this new electric sh-awd in my car for FREE

thank you very much
Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Safety Car

I started thinkin about this a bit more. I certainly agree with the Pros with this new hybrid setup, but I thought of a potential con. Where are the electric batttries going to go? The RL does not have much room in the trunk now and they said the car won't be significantly bigger. Maybe that transmission tunnel space just got stufffed with a bunch Lithium Ion.
Did they say whether its not a "pluggable" hybrid? If not, all the energy (except for recoup braking) is still ultimately coming from gas and that engines going to be running at highway speed to charge the batteries.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
The flat bottom of a car is proven to aide in reducing aerodynamic pressure. Hence some cars have a skid plate to cover the engine bottom (like the RL with the dust cover), and the differential area. If you add side skirts and wheel covers you can greatly reduce drag. It only takes less than 25 hp to move a vehicle down the road once cruising speed is reached is what I have heard.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

I guess you missed what I said about batteries. Where will they be located and they must be charged
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

^I don't think he was responding to you. You will likely have to wait until April or Fall to get a true answer.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I guess the car with the batteries and motors will still be lighter than the current RL. and much easier to package.
They should put the batteries near the rear flat in the floor so it has a low centre of gravity and a 50 / 50 weight distribution.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Litt
I guess the car with the batteries and motors will still be lighter than the current RL. and much easier to package.
They should put the batteries near the rear flat in the floor so it has a low centre of gravity and a 50 / 50 weight distribution.
A good location is under the rear seat, then you can use that raised platform and part of the trunk to locate the batteries, move the gas tank to a higher position or further back in the trunk area to accommodate the battery. Most likely a Lithium for best life.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
... Could Honda actually have a clue about going in the right direction for the future??
In regards to Smart Performance ... Sure.
But ... with storage utility reduced due to front or mid engine
combined with 2 or 3 electric motors ...
That will push the SUV, VAN, TRUCK.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Litt
Why do you think it will be lighter? IMHO, I doubt it. Batteries are heavy and they are only losing the part of the transmission.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by getakey
Why do you think it will be lighter? IMHO, I doubt it. Batteries are heavy and they are only losing the part of the transmission.
I believe the drive shaft, transfer case, and SH-AWD clutch/differential weighs upwards of 250lbs. Batteries are heavy, but not that heavy. At least I hope.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I believe the drive shaft, transfer case, and SH-AWD clutch/differential weighs upwards of 250lbs. Batteries are heavy, but not that heavy. At least I hope.
I compared several Lexus Hybrid versus non-Hybrid models. Every Hybrid was heavier. However, they are not using this new Acura design that eliminates the AWD tranmission. So, hopefully you are right, but I have my doubts.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe not that much weight differential

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Though the Lithium-Ion battery will probably weigh half of what is currently used in the Honda Insight (doesn't it currently use nickel metal hydride?) , I'm guessing (guessing be the operative word) that between the weight of the two electric motors on the rear wheels (they each provide 27 HP and are probably fairly large in size since the electric hybrid motor is 40 HP) and the structure required for them and energy recapture devices plus the reinforcement for the battery under the rear seat (and or trunk area), that it might be difficult to see any significant weight savings compared to removing the current mechanical pieces

It would, however, be nice if there was some weight savings because i presume that the purported body increase will add a few hundred pounds.

My guess is curb weight of a 2013 fully loaded RL will be north of 4250 pounds.

One good thing about the rear wheel motors and Li-O battery is that the engineers will have an easier time creating a better handling balance.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Safety Car

I search a bit but could not find any reports on whether it will be a plugable hybrid or not. Anyone know?
Same question for NSX.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Definitely a good question, getakey... Could go either way...