AutoWeek Acura Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoWeek Acura Update

AutoWeek's website has a few quotes from American Honda Exec. VP Dick Colliver. They report that Acura will be the first to get the diesel engine (new TSX). Further down the brief writeup it says that, as an image car, the RL "was the wrong car", that it "will be replaced in 2010", and "take a new direction."

Full write up at...

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...866337646/1056

So...does this mean a new NSX halo car for 2010? And what's the new direction the RL will take?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
". . . it was the wrong car" Translation: At $50K the RL made us and the dealers a heap of profit, but not many customers wanted to spend that amount when Acura is perceived as an entry level luxury brand. Just wait for the '10 RL that we will charge $70K for and we will make $25K profit on each one when we become a true luxury brand.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:52 PM
A Saitama Garage

Acura only has up to go. I think the culmination of the CAFE restrictions + redesigning the line will make Acura really shine. While other automakers are scrambling to get cars into the correct v6/v4 segments, Acura will already be there and expanding.

I think the RL - new at 54k fully loaded is a bit steep, but certified used - is a great deal!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Acura dealers enjoyed record profits last year, mainly because Honda cut Acura production by 20,000 units to control inventory.
I guess Acura dealers weren't suffering that much after all.

The comment about the RL mirrors what many here have said. Those who enjoy the RL are a miniscule minority of the luxury buying public. Are we weird?

In any case, it'll be very interesting to see what direction Acura takes the RL in 2010.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny, on the ground that's not the story at all.

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The comment about the RL mirrors what many here have said. Those who enjoy the RL are a miniscule minority of the luxury buying public. Are we weird?

In any case, it'll be very interesting to see what direction Acura takes the RL in 2010.
I don't think we're wierd for owning this car, but most people looking in the price range we bought our car want the "badge of luxury"- i.e. M-B, BMW, and even Lexus- that our car doesn't have with the masses. Let's face it many folks are quite pretentious and these "true luxury" brands make people with low self esteem feel better about themselves. I'm not suggesting that most of the the owners of those cars are this way, but I can almost hear some of them saying, "Well if I'm going to spend $50K on a car I want a Mercedes or Bimmer".
Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
A Saitama Garage

Originally Posted by acuralvr1
I don't think we're wierd for owning this car, but most people looking in the price range we bought our car want the "badge of luxury"- i.e. M-B, BMW, and even Lexus- that our car doesn't have with the masses. Let's face it many folks are quite pretentious and these "true luxury" brands make people with low self esteem feel better about themselves. I'm not suggesting that most of the the owners of those cars are this way, but I can almost hear some of them saying, "Well if I'm going to spend $50K on a car I want a Mercedes or Bimmer".
+1. "So what if BMW's have poor reliability ratings, it's still a BMW." That's what someone I know said before they put money down on a new BMW. I just don't get it.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Racer

I cut myself off by accident, continuing:

"Well if I'm going to spend $50K on a car I want a Mercedes or Bimmer not a Honda". I like the looks of those cars also- that might be partly because it's been ingrained in my brain for so long that those are true luxury brands- due to all the marketing that's been done!

I can't express into words how happy I am with my RL. The ride, luxury and electronic toys are second to none in the under $50k range in my opinion. Everyone who rides with me is always very impressed. We own a good looking car but I don't think it's a head turner- attractive girl next door, but not the blonde bombshell.

I'm not concerned that the "RL doesn't hold it's value like some of the others" argument because I bought it new for about $41K and plan to keep it for a while. People look at reliability first when judging used cars and Honda is #1 per the recent CR ratings. I like the fact that there aren't so many on the road- I like the exclusivity. Let's face it we own the Rodney Dangerfield of luxury cars. Even the Honda executive in the above article gives our car no respect.

Continue enjoying what we have. It's a great car. It's doing quite well in some snowy situations lately also!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Moto Enthusiast

I've had a love/hate relationship with my RL. I freely admit that I got it based on value and feature content. In other words, i couldn't find anything in the market optioned like the RL for its price ($41.5k for me). I'm interested to see what direction Acura will go, especially with the new CAFE standards. All the criticism about Acura not having a V8 may become a moot point with the new standard, especially seeing how other manufacturers are axing their V8's to meet CAFE. Anyhow, there are times where I feel I'm bored and over the RL, but then I take her in for service. When I'm given a TL or TSX loaner, I then realize how much I actually miss the RL.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
That's just it...I forget how much I like my RL until I drive something else.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rexorg
". . . it was the wrong car" Translation: At $50K the RL made us and the dealers a heap of profit, but not many customers wanted to spend that amount when Acura is perceived as an entry level luxury brand. Just wait for the '10 RL that we will charge $70K for and we will make $25K profit on each one when we become a true luxury brand.
I wonder if the contemplated new vehicle will be dumped into the same dealership morass that so crippled the '05's introduction and subsequent service and support. My view is that a mismanaged dealership network effectively sabotaged the 05's introduction and subsequent sales. Personally, I never considered the car's poor sales showing to be due to any shortcomings on its part.

'05RL; 106,000+ miles.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemule
I wonder if the contemplated new vehicle will be dumped into the same dealership morass that so crippled the '05's introduction and subsequent service and support. My view is that a mismanaged dealership network effectively sabotaged the 05's introduction and subsequent sales. Personally, I never considered the car's poor sales showing to be due to any shortcomings on its part.

'05RL; 106,000+ miles.
I agree with you. There's too much inconsistency from dealer to dealer in terms of the dealership experience. Most Honda dealers around me have newer, nicer showrooms and facilities than the Acura dealers (none are co-located). I've known more about the RL (from here) than any dealer salesperson or service manager that I've come across.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Another frequently discussed issue here.

Acura needs to come down like the hammer of Thor on dealerships that score low on surveys. Lexus has done a wonderful job of providing a consistent dealership experience. I am very happy with my dealer's service, but I understand that not everyone has access to a good dealer.

Which reminds me...next time I go in for service, I need to bring coffee for the service folks.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We own a good looking car but I don't think it's a head turner- attractive girl next door, but not the blonde bombshell.
Which one would you rather marry? The girl next door might not cause you drag your jaw on the floor but then you know she's not getting by on her looks alone.

I think you made a better analogy than you even intended to.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Well Acura does have a program like that. Not a hammer of Thor but if you play ball with them and upgrade your dealership and put in place their processes and all that you do get bonus stuff from them. Lexus started out as Lexus whereas I think many Acura dealers were like Honda/Acura or Acura/Toyota or the like.

Another frequently discussed issue here.

Acura needs to come down like the hammer of Thor on dealerships that score low on surveys. Lexus has done a wonderful job of providing a consistent dealership experience. I am very happy with my dealer's service, but I understand that not everyone has access to a good dealer.

Which reminds me...next time I go in for service, I need to bring coffee for the service folks.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Which one would you rather marry? The girl next door might not cause you drag your jaw on the floor but then you know she's not getting by on her looks alone.

I think you made a better analogy than you even intended to.
I was the smart one and married the attractive girl next door- a couple of friends of mine made the mistake of marrying the blonde bomshell.

Nice catch!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Instructor

I agree that if Acura wants to compete with MB/BMW/Lexus then it needs a true 'flagship' like the LS/7 Series/S-class.... but if Brand Image is a problem...and people don't want to pay 50K (42k in real life) for an Acura... I don't think they're going to have any luck getting them to pay 70K. They can take a lesson from VW and the Phaeton.

Maybe Acrua should strive to be more of a niche car... like Subaru/Volvo/Saab...and stop trying to compete with MB/Lex/BMW. (although they've done very well competing with the TL and MDX)
Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I agree that if Acura wants to compete with MB/BMW/Lexus then it needs a true 'flagship' like the LS/7 Series/S-class.... but if Brand Image is a problem...and people don't want to pay 50K (42k in real life) for an Acura... I don't think they're going to have any luck getting them to pay 70K. They can take a lesson from VW and the Phaeton.

Maybe Acrua should strive to be more of a niche car... like Subaru/Volvo/Saab...and stop trying to compete with MB/Lex/BMW. (although they've done very well competing with the TL and MDX)

^^I agree^^ I think Acura is generally viewed as premium. People know that Acuras are more expensive than the average family sedan or SUV. It however has more of a niche market like Audi, Saab, or Volvo. MB, BMW, Lex, and now even Infiniti have moved more mass market lux. Most people, even the car illiterate know a BMW, MB or Lexus. Many don't know an Acura just by sight. It may have to do something with marketing. MB, BMW, and Lexus market the hell out of their vehicles.

My sister who's 18 has lived with me for the past year. I've had my car for the last 3yrs (05 TL). I was surprised yesterday when she asked me if my car was an Infiniti? However, she'd know a BMW or MB if she sees one let alone rides in one regularly. For Acura to move into the mainstream lux market, it needs to have more of a TV presence, to create awareness. Many on this forum already know that.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
When I brought my 04 RL to have it tires rotated, the guy said nice Mercedes. I said it not a Mercedes, he quickly corrected himself by say sorry nice BMW. I said its not a BMW. He looked perplexed and said well what is it ? I said an Acura RL. He said he never knew about this body style.......MARKETING SUCKS WITH ACURA'S !
Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Instructor

I'm assuming this was an Acura dealership?? Wow, that REALLY sucks!!! Shame on them!!!

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
When I brought my 04 RL to have it tires rotated, the guy said nice Mercedes. I said it not a Mercedes, he quickly corrected himself by say sorry nice BMW. I said its not a BMW. He looked perplexed and said well what is it ? I said an Acura RL. He said he never knew about this body style.......MARKETING SUCKS WITH ACURA'S !
Old 02-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Nah it was a well known tire shop in my hometown. Point is Acura biggest weak point is MARKETING !!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Advanced

Marketing alone wont do it. I think what Acura needs is more distinctive styling, without it becoming gauche. The current MDX grill borders on ugly to my non-American eyes. The rest of the car lacks distinction, without it being plain.

And style is so much more than just a grill. The BMW and Merc bodies are full of style, even if some things don't work too well [Bangle design anyone?]. At least they are leading the fashion trends, not mimicking [2008 Accord].

Your TL is an excellent example of attractive design, done simply. Hope they dont stray too far away from that with the new model, and still make it distinctive. Honda/Acura's styling lacks original trends in body contouring, keeping [except for that 2008 Accord] to generally slab sided designs.

Here in Australia, we have two Accords, your 2007 American model, and the Euro model [your TSX]. The TSX shape has been a marked success here in no small part due to it's more attractive styling over the American model. It is good to see the new model TSX will keep the same overall proportions and style. Pity they haven't given it a bit more body contouring, to more closely match the Sport 4

Our RL/Legend is an example of very subtle design. It is aggressive, yet subtle. It lacks sufficient body contouring to be striking at first glance, but familiarity allows you to appreciate the worth of it's styling. Had the rear had a bit more balance with the front [and it could have been something as simple as the tailights more closely matching the shape of the headlights] it could have been stunning even with the lack of body contouring.

But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Advanced

Perhaps this is where Honda/Acura needs to head?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/i...r-for-bertone/

They could do worse than spend some money there [of course depending on how much of a basket case it is].