Air Conditioner Bad Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006 | 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Air Conditioner Bad Smell

Has anyone else been having problems with a bad smell everytime you start your car. I know that it is related to the A/C because if you turn off the Auto button and disable the A/C the smell goes away. I can understand if its the first time of the season but everytime you start the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul G.
Old 05-03-2006 | 08:26 AM
Pro

check your cabin filters
Old 05-03-2006 | 09:17 AM
06 RL - 04 TL

Originally Posted by paulgo
Has anyone else been having problems with a bad smell everytime you start your car. I know that it is related to the A/C because if you turn off the Auto button and disable the A/C the smell goes away. I can understand if its the first time of the season but everytime you start the car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul G.
Haven't seen that on an Acura, but with other cars you can get a buildup of some kind of "junk" (algea, fungii whatever) on the evaporator coils. There is a treatment out that I've seen to kill this. Probably stop by your dealer, explain or demo the smell and they should be able to take it from there. Have no idea if this would be under warranty or not.
Old 05-03-2006 | 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

I noticed a smell (similiar to antifreeze) on startup with the heater on this winter. It would only last for a minute or so. Never noticed any antifreeze leaks on floor of garage or car. I could not duplicate it at the dealer because the car was warmed up when I got there.
Now that I am on A/C, do not smell it at all. I suspect I will bring it to the dealers attention on the next visit.
Old 05-03-2006 | 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Bad Smell

Where are the cabin filters located on the RL. I did change the filters on my 2004 TL with no problem. Are there any instructions out there.

Thanks,
Paul G.
Old 05-03-2006 | 01:57 PM
4th Gear

Smell

I had an 05 Rl and I smelled that smell you are talking about about 3-4 times. It smelled like a rubbery smell. I told the tech. at the Acura service, checked the A/C and could not find anything. It was just weared that it only happened few times.
Old 05-06-2006 | 09:13 AM
Former Pedestrian

Originally Posted by paulgo

Paul G.
I too have experienced that rancid (similar to antifreeze) smell on startup and have complained about it on a few occasions. The service department indicates there was one other RL customer with a similar problem and they had an opportunity to experience it ... But have no indication what is causing the problem.

In addition, I've had my A/C refrigerant charged two (2) times due to some loss in the system. They can't pinpoint the location with a sniffer, but I have another appointment this week to see if they can locate it via the dye that was included during the last recharge. Note: After each recharge, the startup "smell" manifested itself.

I'll keep you posted,
Old 05-06-2006 | 04:28 PM
Intermediate

This is normal on all vehicles, if you constantly use the AC, I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 05-06-2006 | 04:30 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Yeah it happens when you don't use AC very much, Typically it goes away.
Old 05-22-2008 | 09:18 PM
Racer

I seem to be having a bad smell in my a/c even after chaning my cabin filter at around 17k miles. It seems like it is worse since I changed it. I bought the new filter on ebay , so it is a generic filter, cuz I couldn't find a fram or other brand at the local auto store... Do you think Acura's filter is better than the generic? I use my A/C all the time. I have ~17k miles on my car. Is there any way to get rid of this stench? Has anyone complained to their dealer about it and had them try to fix it?
Old 05-23-2008 | 06:28 AM
Racer

Every car that I've ever owned has this A/C smell. I don't know what causes it but it's very common. Typically, the smell goes-away after a minute or two. Does yours smell bad indefinitely or just when you first turn the A/C on.

I've notice that the smell happens if you turn off the compress but leave the fan on too.
Old 05-23-2008 | 12:34 PM
Safety Car

It is likely a mold smell. There is a spray that is supposed to kill the mold. You spray it into the intake vents by the cowl. The dealer will do it, maybe for free, maybe not.

The other thing I have done is spray lysol into the vents by the cowl on other cars. Make sure recirculate is off, run the blower on high, and spray like half the can in.
Old 05-23-2008 | 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gavine
Every car that I've ever owned has this A/C smell. I don't know what causes it but it's very common. Typically, the smell goes-away after a minute or two. Does yours smell bad indefinitely or just when you first turn the A/C on.

I've notice that the smell happens if you turn off the compress but leave the fan on too.
X2
Only when I turn AC off but leave the fan on. but this seems like the opposite of the OP.
Old 05-23-2008 | 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Another thing to try is running the heat on high for a few minutes before getting out of the car. I seem to recall reading that here from someone that had the same problem. If it's humid out and you run the A/C and shut the car off, the moisture stays on the coils and bacteria grows. I did the Lysol trick back when I had my 2003 TL-S and it worked pretty well.

I haven't had an issue with smell from the A/C with either my old 05 or current 06 RL.
Old 05-24-2008 | 01:38 PM
Racer

Yeah my dealer told me the heat suggestion once. He said always turn off recirculation a mile or 2 before you stop and turn up the heat to reduce the moisture... If you do the lysol thing does your car smell like lysol forever then? Or does the lysol smell go away?

Because I don't mind the smell of lysol, but not sure I want to smell it everytime I drive..
Old 05-25-2008 | 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcook
Yeah my dealer told me the heat suggestion once. He said always turn off recirculation a mile or 2 before you stop and turn up the heat to reduce the moisture... If you do the lysol thing does your car smell like lysol forever then? Or does the lysol smell go away?

Because I don't mind the smell of lysol, but not sure I want to smell it everytime I drive..
The lysol smell dissipates.

Are you running the A/C using recirculation mode? Maybe that's the issue. I never use Recirc - I always have fresh air coming in. Maybe that's why I've never had the smell on either RL that I've owned.
Old 05-26-2008 | 09:03 AM
Safety Car

Yes, the lysol smell goes away. Never had the problem in my RL. Only had to do it in my G2 Legend that I bought certified used many years ago. I think it was just because it was sitting for awhile. I have never had to do it again on any of my cars, I think because I run the AC regularly, even in winter.
Old 05-27-2008 | 09:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwboston
The lysol smell dissipates.

Are you running the A/C using recirculation mode? Maybe that's the issue. I never use Recirc - I always have fresh air coming in. Maybe that's why I've never had the smell on either RL that I've owned.

Old 05-28-2008 | 11:05 AM
Racer

Yes I run with recirculated AIR, a lot, and use the A/C a lot. I have turned off the recirc and noticed the smell isn't so bad..thanks,
Old 07-19-2008 | 03:24 PM
1st Gear

A/C bad smell

I just got a use Audi A4 and am having that exact problem (which lead me here). I had the smell narrowed down to the A/C and it seems to be coming from the center vents. It doesn't matter if you have Recirc on or not and it does not go away. Very frustrating and disgusting to smell - especially in damp, humid weather. I have an appointment with the dealer, I'll let you know.