Advice on a RL or a TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Advice on a RL or a TL

hey guys,

i currently have an 05 honda s2000 and i was thinking of switching to something more comfortable.

i've driven the 04-06 TL before and i really like it.. i love the design and the way it performs..

i also like the 05-08 RL.. never driven it but ive sat in one before and it was way for comfortable than the TL from what i recall/...can anyone fill me in on the comfort level difference?

the most i want to spend is 16k (there's plenty of TL for that price).. but im leaning more towards the RL.. i find the right RL.. i wouldnt mind dishing out 17k...i prefer black or white.

for the RL.. would high mileage be a problem...

i found this one on Craigslist
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1808057073.html

i live in san diego.. what do you guys think?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
My thread on this topic will help you. Oldie but goodie!

Test drive #2, RL vs TL impressions--LONG

I drove my S2000 the last two days. Still love it, though I can see how you would want something a little more luxurious. If you can afford it, keep it along with a new daily driver....

We have a few high mileage RLs that don't have much in the way of big issues.

2005s you have to worry about the AC compressor and making sure the numerous TSBs (see RL Garage) are taken care of)
2005-6 you have to worry about door handles not working and tranny whine

Looks like the one in the Craigslist listing is well cared for for over 100k miles. I'd look at it.

Last edited by neuronbob; 06-30-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too had to pick between the TL and the RL. I went with the RL because of the comfort, nicer interior, and the AWD (lot of rain and snow in NJ).

I really dislike driving FWD cars, and I felt the TL inside felt more like a nice accord than a real luxury vehicle. I did not have that feeling in the RL! Good luck!

PS - I actually like the look of the TL a bit better. If the TL was AWD, I might have went with that one!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
My thread on this topic will help you. Oldie but goodie!

Test drive #2, RL vs TL impressions--LONG

I drove my S2000 the last two days. Still love it, though I can see how you would want something a little more luxurious. If you can afford it, keep it along with a new daily driver....

We have a few high mileage RLs that don't have much in the way of big issues.

2005s you have to worry about the AC compressor and making sure the numerous TSBs (see RL Garage) are taken care of)
2005-6 you have to worry about door handles not working and tranny whine

Looks like the one in the Craigslist listing is well cared for for over 100k miles. I'd look at it.

thanks for the link.. that was a very detailed write up!
yes i think ill go for the RL.. I wish i could keep my S2000 but unfortunately im only in my early 20's and i just got my parents an MDX...
i love the s2000 but its a rattle bug(with the top up) and its uncomfortable on a long road trip.. but the looks of the car in white is priceless.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
the S2000 is a fun car if you are out for a "cruise" or a fun drive... no way I would wat it as a daily driver. It's too cramped, noisy, and it has no storage space... it's a great toy, bad DD.

the RL is much nicer than the TL. I havne't priced used RLs reently, but I know you coudl find one in your price point - but it would be an 05 or 06 with higher miles. the CPO ones are all in the low-mid 20s at a minmum.. at least that's what I recall from when I bought mine a year ago...

I also looked at the TL. I did not like the weird wood color interior of the older TLs... I liked the inteiror of the 07-08s..but at the time, dealers wanted so much for a used 07+ TL that is seemed ridiculous.. I could get an 06 RL for the same or less..

the RL seemed to depreciate more/harder than the TL. the TL is in higher demand... hence dealers charge more for it...

The TL will torque steer if you drive hard, but I think the TL might be marginally faster given it's not AWD.. a TL-S is pretty quick and a nice car.. have you looked at those.. maybe you coudl find an 07, high miles, in that price point? i almost bought one of those and they are GREAT.

if you are into "speed', which I suspect you might be given that you drive an S2k, I think a used TL-S would be better for you. it will have the luxury you are lookng for, but it will still have some of the zip you are used to in the S2k... albeit that it won't handle as well as your S2k, but it will feel tons sportier than an RL...

you could always add bigger wheels, summer tires, aspec suspension to an RL and get it up to the TL-S in terms of sporty feel - but it would require more $$ to put into it...

bone stock, out of the box, a TL-S will be the "jack of all trades" sports sedan that I suspect you might like. see if you can find one in your price point and test drive it.

if you opt for MORE luxury than the TL-S / TL - then the RL is a GREAT car. I love mine. it is a wonderful car to drive, but I honestly don't think it's "taht" sporty. maybe if you aspec it - it would be..but it's nothign like an S2k. i have a boxster for a toy car, and I had that when I bought the RL, so I was looking more for comfort/luxury..

if I did NOT have my Porsche, when I was DD car shopping, I would have bought the TL-S. or a newer TL-SH-AWD. they are still functional cars with good sized back seats, and they feel sportier than an RL. the RL handles suprisingly well with SH-AWD...if yo upush it in turns it really does grip and hold it's line..maybe even more so than a TL-S would..but in terms of the overall "feel" of the car - the TL-S is 10x sportier feeling than the RL...

depends what you want/need/can afford.

good luck!!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 23109VC
the S2000 is a fun car if you are out for a "cruise" or a fun drive... no way I would wat it as a daily driver. It's too cramped, noisy, and it has no storage space... it's a great toy, bad DD.

the RL is much nicer than the TL. I havne't priced used RLs reently, but I know you coudl find one in your price point - but it would be an 05 or 06 with higher miles. the CPO ones are all in the low-mid 20s at a minmum.. at least that's what I recall from when I bought mine a year ago...

I also looked at the TL. I did not like the weird wood color interior of the older TLs... I liked the inteiror of the 07-08s..but at the time, dealers wanted so much for a used 07+ TL that is seemed ridiculous.. I could get an 06 RL for the same or less..

the RL seemed to depreciate more/harder than the TL. the TL is in higher demand... hence dealers charge more for it...

The TL will torque steer if you drive hard, but I think the TL might be marginally faster given it's not AWD.. a TL-S is pretty quick and a nice car.. have you looked at those.. maybe you coudl find an 07, high miles, in that price point? i almost bought one of those and they are GREAT.

if you are into "speed', which I suspect you might be given that you drive an S2k, I think a used TL-S would be better for you. it will have the luxury you are lookng for, but it will still have some of the zip you are used to in the S2k... albeit that it won't handle as well as your S2k, but it will feel tons sportier than an RL...

you could always add bigger wheels, summer tires, aspec suspension to an RL and get it up to the TL-S in terms of sporty feel - but it would require more $$ to put into it...

bone stock, out of the box, a TL-S will be the "jack of all trades" sports sedan that I suspect you might like. see if you can find one in your price point and test drive it.

if you opt for MORE luxury than the TL-S / TL - then the RL is a GREAT car. I love mine. it is a wonderful car to drive, but I honestly don't think it's "taht" sporty. maybe if you aspec it - it would be..but it's nothign like an S2k. i have a boxster for a toy car, and I had that when I bought the RL, so I was looking more for comfort/luxury..

if I did NOT have my Porsche, when I was DD car shopping, I would have bought the TL-S. or a newer TL-SH-AWD. they are still functional cars with good sized back seats, and they feel sportier than an RL. the RL handles suprisingly well with SH-AWD...if yo upush it in turns it really does grip and hold it's line..maybe even more so than a TL-S would..but in terms of the overall "feel" of the car - the TL-S is 10x sportier feeling than the RL...

depends what you want/need/can afford.

good luck!!

hey thanks for the response.. just what i was actually looking for..

the s2000 is actually not that bad interms of storage space.. it has more trunk room than a Porsche... but yes.. its cramped and loud..

the TL's is a nice car.. but if i get that car it will have to be a manual.. no way am i going to get that car in an AUTO.. its just wrong haha..

i want the comfort of the RL.. i love the looks of the car and its perfect size for me (i think)... the SH AWD is great during winter for me since i go snowboarding a lot... i dont like Automatic, and since the RL only comes in an AUTO i guess i could live with it..

i looked at the craigslist in New York, there are a few 05 RL's in white with 90k miles going for 15500- 16000.. i wish they were on sale over here.. In SD there are hardly any forsale from a private party....

i guess ill just have to wait.,.. after all i waited 1 year to find my White S2000 haha

thanks for your input... i love the your Porsche btw.. my uncle use to have one and that was one of the reason why i got the S2000.. The S2000 looks Simple yet elegant like the RL.. and it handles beautifully... the S2000 is a poor man's Porsche haha
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by twiz03
hey thanks for the response.. just what i was actually looking for..

the s2000 is actually not that bad interms of storage space.. it has more trunk room than a Porsche... but yes.. its cramped and loud..

thanks for your input... i love the your Porsche btw.. my uncle use to have one and that was one of the reason why i got the S2000.. The S2000 looks Simple yet elegant like the RL.. and it handles beautifully... the S2000 is a poor man's Porsche haha
not to change the subject - but the Boxster has a lot more trunk space than the S2k - the boxster has TWO trunks. front/rear.

Also, I wouldn't bash on the S2k and call it a "poor man's porsche".. that's what they call a Boxster! The S2k is actually, performance wise, faster than my boxster and on par with the "S" models. ine is only a base - 217hp. it has less peak hp than the S2k, but more torque... in daily driving it feels faster b/c it gets off the line much faster, but if you were on a trakc running at WOT it's not quite as fast. handling..dunno. My boxster has FAT 18".. the rears are 265-35s... and mine runs on what Porsche calls "M030" which is their in house sport suspension..it's the equivalent of putting on konis and springs, it's a bit lower, stiffer... not brutal stiff..but pretty stiff... I only have my porsche b/c my dad sold it and he made me a great in-family offer, otherwise I likely would have maybe got an S2k... they are great. a lot of boxster owners switch over to S2ks.. especially after getting nailed with repeated repair bills that are $$$... the Boxster may be the "poor man's" Porsche, but it's unfortunately not good for a Poor person b/c it's costs an arm and a leg to fix..just like the $$ 911s... parts still cost a lot

as to your TL vs. RL quest - if you really like the RL - go fot it. It's a great car. you won't be disappointed. it is packed iwht so many luxury features... it's not super sporty out o the box, but if you want more hadnling, you can add apsec for about $500 in parts, and a wheel/tire upgrade to 18s or 19s wil get you a lot of gain. in stock form it's softly sprung and runs on 17" all seasons... BUT the AWD system makes up a lot for that..

the SH-aWD really is amazing. even on my stock suspension/wheels/tires - if you put the car into a long sweeping turn and are hard on the gas, the car just hunkers down, holds the line and powers throgh teh turn.. you can sometimes actaully FEEL the system engaging it's like the car is rotating on it's center axis... as it's movign through the turn..like a big hand is coming down fromthe sky, holding the car, and twisting it as it turns.. hard to describe.. you'll have to drive one hard to experience it..it's nothing earth shattering..but it does work. the car is still heavy..so you're not going to blast through any autorcross course like you coudl in the S2k..but for a single long turn, or a quick 90 degree right/left turn, where you want to go for it - the RL will suprise the crap out of you for how easily it an negotiate corners.

i can only imagine on good tires and aspec, it must truly be on sports sedean levels... probably just as good as new TL SH-AWD??? after all - they are very very similar in terms of weight/size/AWD systems... and that car handles great...

good luck. let us know what you end up geting.

higher miles may not be an issue..if you search you will find there is aguy here who has over 200k miles on his 05 RL - and it's still going!