Acura Winter Email - stupid

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Acura Winter Email - stupid

So this should go down as a top-10 "how to piss off an Acura owner."

I just received the Winter 2008 newsletter this morning (as many others probably did), and along the left-hand side is an offer:

"Special on Acura Navigation Discs: The new 2007 Fall navigation update discs are being offered at a special discounted price through 2/29/08."

Well, click on the link, then click another link, select the RL, and you receive the message (as others here have confirmed earlier):

"The fall 4.62 DVD release is currently available to dealers for 2008 vehicles only. Please call 888-291-4675 to order.
Orders only from dealers will be accepted at this time."

What makes things even worse is that the "special discounted price" is FULL price ($185 + tax).

What a bunch of bumbling f-ing morons at Acura.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yea, I saw that and also followed the link to see the statement about callign the dealer. I already bought mine in October so I didn't bother calling. Are you saying you called the number and they told you the price was $185? I agree, that's terrible if true
Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe they jumped the gun and the discount price will be posted later, Right now I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, if the discount is some BS 10% or something then forget about it. Maybe these are the defective discs!?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Go Big Blue!

It seems like there's some "challenges" getting this version installed unless you are upgrading from the prior 4.5. I'm totally guessing here; but I get the feeling Acura is stepping in the middle and will do the upgrade for the customer so they can handle the extra steps needed to get this version installed cars older then 2007.

Tell yuo the truth, I'm surprised Acura is offering a discount. What about everyone who already bought one at full price last fall? I know this disk has the DST change on it, but that's not anything critical to the functioning of the car. Plus, it's not Acura's fault the Congress changed the DST rules.

This is probably going to piss off more people then it makes happy
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
It seems like there's some "challenges" getting this version installed unless you are upgrading from the prior 4.5. I'm totally guessing here; but I get the feeling Acura is stepping in the middle and will do the upgrade for the customer so they can handle the extra steps needed to get this version installed cars older then 2007.

Tell yuo the truth, I'm surprised Acura is offering a discount. What about everyone who already bought one at full price last fall? I know this disk has the DST change on it, but that's not anything critical to the functioning of the car. Plus, it's not Acura's fault the Congress changed the DST rules.

This is probably going to piss off more people then it makes happy
Could also indicate that the new navi system in the '09 or '10 will not be DVD based. Let's hope so.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2

So this should go down as a top-10 "how to piss off an Acura owner."

I just received the Winter 2008 newsletter this morning (as many others probably did), and along the left-hand side is an offer:

"Special on Acura Navigation Discs: The new 2007 Fall navigation update discs are being offered at a special discounted price through 2/29/08."

Well, click on the link, then click another link, select the RL, and you receive the message (as others here have confirmed earlier):

"The fall 4.62 DVD release is currently available to dealers for 2008 vehicles only. Please call 888-291-4675 to order.
Orders only from dealers will be accepted at this time."

What makes things even worse is that the "special discounted price" is FULL price ($185 + tax).

What a bunch of bumbling f-ing morons at Acura.
I got 4.62 in my 05' RL and it works perfectly. Matter of fact, voice recognition is now on an order of magnitude better...
Old 01-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Burning Brakes

I think I found the discount. Shipping is only $6 for UPS Ground. I think is used to be around $20. I could be wrong about this. I will give them a call.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Really the original topic was not only about the lack of a "discount", but also that Acura's "personalization system" failed to recognize that they can't even sell me a v4.62 disc for my RL...

Hence, my comment that it's "stupid."

(as an aside, and as someone who has purchased one upgrade DVD for my TL and purchased a 'previous year' upgrade for my RL, I think $185 is a lot - especially considering you can only use it where your RL physically is vs. a TomTom/Garmin upgrade that provides nationwide or worldwide benefit...)
Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

This is OT, but read the other day that only 15% of cars on the road today have navi systems. Don't know if that figure was for OEM, or portable.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexorg
This is OT, but read the other day that only 15% of cars on the road today have navi systems. Don't know if that figure was for OEM, or portable.
15% is a LOT of cars and represents rapid growth in that segment over the last few years.

Back on topic, I called Alpine last night and they said that the 4.62 discs were only available to dealers still, for use in brand new cars. They indicate that a new update will be able in February. This is slippage from my last conversation with Alpine in October, when they said the update would be available in late January.

I think the marketing folks who created the email are simply unaware of the navi disc availability problem.....a communication problem.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Go Big Blue!

Thanks Bob. That makes sense. Obviously 4.62 had some problems with the "upgrade" process. I'm sure it works fine for new installations. Alpine probably needed time to fix the bug and release a new version. 4.63 (or whatever) sounds like it will be ready in another month.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=neuronbob]15% is a LOT of cars and represents rapid growth in that segment over the last few years.

QUOTE]

Yes, 15% is a lot. I would assume that figure would include OEM and portable the more I think about it.