Acura throws us a bone about the next RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
Acura throws us a bone about the next RL

The bone is timing.

Jeff from TOV interviews Acura's John Mendel...most of the interview is about the TSX wagon (and begging for a 6MT variant thereof). Toward the end of the interview, he indicates that the RL is the oldest product in the current lineup, and "the next 18 months you will see a complete turn at Acura".

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=891301

Scroll to about 3:10 in the video for his words.

So now we know to expect the next RL at some point in the next 18 months.

Please Acura, don't fsck up the exterior styling!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
That would make sense....2011 will be the last of the current-gen RL and then we'll see a new '12 model that will come out early, just like all the other manufacturers do these days...

Chris
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CFoote
That would make sense....2011 will be the last of the current-gen RL and then we'll see a new '12 model that will come out early, just like all the other manufacturers do these days...

Chris
to be honest the LAST year for the current gen RL has to be THIS ONE, the 2010.
the restyling went as 09 model, then we got the 10, and now for the 2011 model we should get the new one... right?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh-oh...I have some trepidation about this.

Acura has another opportunity to design a truly hideous vehicle (like the current TL )...or maybe, just maybe, dare we hope? a handsome big brother to the current TSX. Minus the proboscis, of course. And a hybrid would be nice.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by krio
to be honest the LAST year for the current gen RL has to be THIS ONE, the 2010.
the restyling went as 09 model, then we got the 10, and now for the 2011 model we should get the new one... right?
I'd be really surprised if Acura spent all that $$$ to restyle the RL for only 2 model years...as you know most car companies do a mid-cycle LCI (LifeCycle Impulse), and usually models last a minimum of 6 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see the '11 RL be the current gen and have it only last ~6 months or so.

If Acura only does 2 years with its current LCI, then great, thats less time to wait That would surprise me though...

If the car was near ready to roll, you'd see some test mules running around the U.S....and no one has seen anything yet.

Chris
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Remember the last RL went from 1996 to 2004. 2005-2011 would be an improvement!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CFoote
I'd be really surprised if Acura spent all that $$$ to restyle the RL for only 2 model years...as you know most car companies do a mid-cycle LCI (LifeCycle Impulse), and usually models last a minimum of 6 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see the '11 RL be the current gen and have it only last ~6 months or so.

If Acura only does 2 years with its current LCI, then great, thats less time to wait That would surprise me though...

If the car was near ready to roll, you'd see some test mules running around the U.S....and no one has seen anything yet.

Chris
Good theory when it comes to MMC timing, but remember this RL is all but dead already. They are not selling any. It will probably COST them money to keep this gen around any longer. I'm surprised it wasn't replaced for 2010. I'm betting it will be all new for 2011.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
With the next generation RL coming in 18 months, what type of deals do you think could be had with the RL's currently on the lot in, say, 14-16 months?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Good theory when it comes to MMC timing, but remember this RL is all but dead already. They are not selling any. It will probably COST them money to keep this gen around any longer. I'm surprised it wasn't replaced for 2010. I'm betting it will be all new for 2011.
That's a good point -- I'm surprised we haven't seen any test cars running around, but maybe the Japanese are better at hiding their test cars than the Germans

BMW just introduced the new 5 series and they have actually lowered their prices. Everyone is feeling the economic pinch...

Chris
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I disagree that it will cost money to continue to sell this current RL. Every bit of the tech this RL introduced to Acura/Honda has been disseminated though the entire Acura line, other than SH-AWD to the TSX. Some of it (nav stuff) is in plebian Hondas. Every RL that Acura sells must be pure gravy, I mean profit, even at invoice. That profit wouldn't be seen at dealer level, but at corporate level.

I do agree that this RL is deader than a doornail. It's so sad, too, because it is one of the best cars out there.....and the public has no idea it exists. Look at how I keep hanging out here when I don't even own one.....I certainly like it!

That's why I say, BRING ON THE LEGEND! At least people will have a positive reference as even my feeble neurons recall the original Legend and the improved 2nd gen....
Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I disagree that it will cost money to continue to sell this current RL. Every bit of the tech this RL introduced to Acura/Honda has been disseminated though the entire Acura line, other than SH-AWD to the TSX. Some of it (nav stuff) is in plebian Hondas. Every RL that Acura sells must be pure gravy, I mean profit, even at invoice. That profit wouldn't be seen at dealer level, but at corporate level.

I do agree that this RL is deader than a doornail. It's so sad, too, because it is one of the best cars out there.....and the public has no idea it exists. Look at how I keep hanging out here when I don't even own one.....I certainly like it!

That's why I say, BRING ON THE LEGEND! At least people will have a positive reference as even my feeble neurons recall the original Legend and the improved 2nd gen....
I agree Bob, I do like a lot the RL too.
But you can see the VERY negative approach to this car in the similar thread in "Car talks" that I began a few day ago... Nobody seems to believe that Honda can get something really good for the next generation.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I agree with that point Bob. I meant they are "losing" money in terms of all the lost potential sales, not actual costs. If they replace the RL sooner rather than later, wouldn't that be a net positive for the bottom line over the next 6 years? I'm just not sure it makes sense to leave a car in the lineup that is selling 150 cars a month nationally. That's not a formula for profit.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neuron mentioned what I forgot to say. The new flagship model, if it is to be successful in the marketplace, *must* be badged as the Acura LEGEND. (Like my '06 is already!!)

Acura: please, please, please get a clue and don't screw this up. Get the features and pricing right. Fix the styling (!!!) and have a marketing plan for once. Otherwise, TampaRL will be heading to Torrance with his torches and pitchforks--and you will continue to sell pathetic numbers of cars.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by VOdoc
Neuron mentioned what I forgot to say. The new flagship model, if it is to be successful in the marketplace, *must* be badged as the Acura LEGEND. (Like my '06 is already!!)

Acura: please, please, please get a clue and don't screw this up. Get the features and pricing right. Fix the styling (!!!) and have a marketing plan for once. Otherwise, TampaRL will be heading to Torrance with his torches and pitchforks--and you will continue to sell pathetic numbers of cars.
I honestly can't imagine the name will matter to sales either way. Good thing, because I'm guessing that idea has as much chance as a snowball fight in Hell. Model the car after the LS "Sport" in terms of size and attributes. Offer it with a v8 , and I think it will do well and I'll be the first to probably buy one.