Acura RL vs. M35x

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Motown2006RL
I was of course referring to the "wood" trim in the Infiniti with the contact paper comment.

I stand by my humble opinion from previous threads: In general the M35 comes off as less substantial in design and execution when it comes to the interior, Nav, etc. etc. - not to mention the drivetrain. And the back end styling is a bit of a horror, isn't it? Overall, it just seems to lack the refinement and finesse of the RL.
i beg to differ, and so do many others.

Here is just one of many reviews I've found where the M is rated better than the RL in most categories:

http://www.autoweb.com/content/share...cle_id_int/773

Here's a quote from this ONE article:
"But in this test, we were disappointed in the Acura RL, which had some cheap-looking interior trim and possessed assembly quality more on a par with a decade-old GM product than the best Honda has to offer. Based on our three test cars, the Lexus and Infiniti featured the best quality of the trio.
But let's not mag-race (or mag-compare)...MY PERSONAL opinions:

The wood trim I don't like which is why I got the 45 sport with aluminum trim. But I think the MB CLS has the same "matte" style wood trim. this is all personal preference but some like it better than the super-glossy RL wood trim. I personally like the RL wood trim better than the M wood trim, but I like the M REAL aluminum better than the RL wood.

I like the acura interior design better, but the acura materials and fit/finish are NOT superior in anyway, just the layout and design which are only marginally better. I find the materials in the M better than the RL, and after living with the M for 3 months now, no complaints with the ergonomics which I rate the same for both (short test drive experience in the RL though). I test drove both 3 times each before purchasing and there was a constant rattle somewhere in the back of the RL everytime. My M hasn't had any rattles or any problems whatsoever...cold weather, hot weather, it's TIGHT.

the SH-AWD is great, but as for your "carbon fiber" driveshaft...that's because the RL is already so heavy that this was a weight reducing measure more than anything. They could've gone with any other "cheaper" material for the driveshaft and it would NOT have made any remarkable difference in the awd performance except for being heavier.

I have to give props to the RL for it's SH-AWD, which is a superior system than any other awd system out there...but it's handling still isn't the best in this class (M35/45 sport and 5-series are)...basically the RL is still a FWD based car (front heavy) and they cheaped out on tires and wheels as usual (c'mon...17" standard, 18" optional? I got 19" rims STANDARD!!). and dont' get me started on Acura braking performance...always near the bottom of the pack for some reason. Could be the tires, but could be for other reasons.

And the final nail in the coffin for me...NO FREAKIN' V8!!! 300hp 3.5L v6 is great and all, but after all the test drives, I got more excitement out of my CL-S with only 260hp. The extra hp and torque of the RL is all eaten up by the weight and AWD system. I remember i was on an on-ramp at 40ish MPH and wanted to test the merging acceleration...I floored it and the engine speed revved up...then the car slowly picked up speed and I was at 80ish MPH. With the M45, I get pinned to my seat when I try this move.

so for all your bragging of the RL's "sophistication on the drivetrain and suspension", which are individually commendable developments, together they only give the RL what it needs to compete in this class of cars, not enough to get it ahead. These developments aren't developments to make it a better competing car, these developments are to "bandage" the problems that prevented this car from competing at all in this class: being a FWD based car.

Imagine if they had designed the RL from the ground up on a RWD based platform and implemented a rwd form of SH-AWD, with better wheels/tires/brakes...even with the 300hp v6, they'd have a BEAST on their hands.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The comparison was between the M35x and the RL. Equally equipped both just a touch over $50k. And no the aluminum trim is not available on the 35, just the contact paper. Your car is RWD only and $6-7k more. Apples with oranges at that point really.
As for the engineering:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1848
Old 01-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The comparison was between the M35x and the RL. Equally equipped both just a touch over $50k. And no the aluminum trim is not available on the 35, just the contact paper. Your car is RWD only and $6-7k more. Apples with oranges at that point really.
As for the engineering:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1848
Apples to oranges is right. There is no comparison between the M and RL in my book, and I would never go back.

And let's face it... the rear-end styling of the M is no more of a "horror" than the front-end styling of the RL. And as for engineering, I've enjoyed 9 months and 10,000 trouble-free miles in my M. I had 4 recalls in my RL during the 5 months and 5,000 miles I owned it. With that in mind, I don't see where you have much of an argument.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Courage
I've read the different threads comparing the M35x and the RL and finally had a chance to test drive both today. It's going to be a hard decision.

Acura impressions:
Car handles well (I'm used to front-wheel drive)
Navigation and technology fun and handy (sales person demonstrated voice commands)
Cabin seemed a bit tight--wish it had a little more room
Great sound system
Trunk space small

Infiniti impressions:

Car feels a little sportier but there's more road noise
I liked the birds-eye view feature on the navigation
A little more room in the cabin than the RL
Heated AND cooled seat--Acura only had heated seats.
Dashboard/console was not too sleek--I didn't like the little analog clock (I believe it's in all Infinitis)
Trunk space rather small.

A couple of questions I'm still reviewing:
With the keyless system, what's the best way to deal with valet parking? Car washes?
I've read that RL owners have had issue with dead batteries because they don't realize they haven't turned the car off. This will probably be more of an issue when handing the key fob over to a parking attendant. I prefer the push-button start. The salesperson told me that it's primarily a concern with older drivers.

I fully recognize that most of this is subjective but would welcome constructive comments. I plan on test driving them both one more time next week and will subsequently make a determination.

I hope everyone had a good holiday!
So, which one did you buy? It's been two months since your original post so I thought I'd ask.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Not too many months after I bought my RL, the new M debuted and I found all the "enthusiasts" raving about its big V-8 and what a sweet ride it was. So I marched myself down to an Infiniti dealer to try an AWD model out. Totally unimpressed. To me, the cabin looked cheap in all the variations the dealer offered and the cabin noise, styling, so-so nav, etc. told me I'd made the right choice with the RL. But to be certain, I tried out several M's, and went to more than one Infiniti dealer. The end result was that I was even more content with my RL.

But people have different tastes, obviously. While two friends of mine (one here and another in Baltimore) opted for a TL and an RL, a third friend bought the M45 and began singing its praises to me. Soon, however, he was complaining instead. The driver's seat had problems. The sunroof had problems. Stopping to alter his course with the nav system became a hassle. And his dealer's service was not the fabled "Infiniti model" he'd heard so much about. (He has been at his dealer more times than he and I can remember.)

I, on the other hand, have had zero problems. And those RL "recalls" mentioned by someone previously are nothing more than tech service bulletins. I've had them applied painlessly, usually while having my oil changed. All resulted in subtle but welcome improvements in my driving experience, which I found exemplary to begin with.

But I am glad that there are highly satisfied M owners. But I just want some of them to know, I've driven several M's and vastly prefer the RL. It is (again, in my opinion) a far better choice for me and the interests I have in driving a premium automobile.

Nonetheless, I respect those who prefer other transportation, be it American made, German, or simply from a different Japanese manufacturer. I can only hope that everyone is as happy with their choice as I am with mine.

Because every time I get behind the wheel of my RL, I pretty damned ecstatic!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, i have seen those pics.

But seriously...does this really propel the RL to the head of the pack in driving dynamics or safety?

Throw snow/ice in there and the AWD is just as safe as any other top competitor with AWD. The "SH" part doesn't figure into this equation in these conditions compared with Audi's, BMW's, Infiniti's, or MB's systems.

The "SH" part only applies when the road conditions are good. But again, does all this "high tech sophisticated" technology propel the RL to the top of the class? No, it merely makes a front heavy car perform competitively with other models in this class.

Don't get me wrong, If I settled for a v6 rather than a v8, I'd get the RL, but I'm still not convinced that the Acura is all that much better quality-wise than the M35x. I just like the design/layout of the Acura better.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Racer

Coming on this board and saying the M35 is better than the RL is like a Methodist going to a Baptist Church and telling them Methodism is the best.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by catsailr
Coming on this board and saying the M35 is better than the RL is like a Methodist going to a Baptist Church and telling them Methodism is the best.
Amen.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by catsailr
In my case, it would be like a Methodist who used to be a Baptist going to a Baptist church and telling them Methodism is better. I've owned both.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dseag2
In my case, it would be like a Methodist who used to be a Baptist going to a Baptist church and telling them Methodism is better. I've owned both.
We all make mistakes. You made the mistake of buying the wrong car - many people do. Now you have rectified that mistake and you are happy with your M - I'm glad you found what you like.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Racer

Question Interesting way to resurrect a comparison thread

Originally Posted by sanderson3
I bought my new 2005 RL in August. Several times the keyless ignition would lock and not allow me to start car. I would get out of the car, lock it, reenter and it would usually start. However, last week, it locked up and I had to have it towed to the dealer. The keyless entry allows me to unlock the car, but won't start it. It did this with both the keyless entry remotes. The car was towed in the evening. The next day the service department from th dealership called and , you guessed it, it started right up for them. They have now had it five days and still can't find a problem. Anyone else heard of this? BTW, the tow truck driver even tried to start it before he loaded it on the truck. It also won't let us pull the cover off to use the key. Thanks for any information.
Why would anyone post a serious RL Problem in an RL vs. M thread anyway? The dialog that followed was just more of the same; "my car is better than your car crap" It is great that most RL owners love their car and that most M owners love their car - they cost enough.

Facts - the M continues to outsell the RL by a longshot and is selling at a higher percentage of MSRP - those are facts. Hence more people want the M.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Fact: the Infiniti M product line consists of 3 different models. The Acura RL product line consists of one. It makes perfectly good sense for the M to outsell the RL as a result. Also, the RL is AWD-only and automatic-transmission-only, which limits its appeal and makes it more of a niche product. Unit sales are not a reflection of either car's quality. If that were the case, then the Lexus GS must be vastly superior since it is outselling the Acura and the Infiniti.

And regarding one car selling at a higher percentage of MSRP, could you please show us some sources? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Firstly, nobody knows if the situation discribed by sanderson3 was a "serious problem" or simply the steering wheel lock needing to be wiggled or a new battery being needed in the key fob.
Secondly, sales numbers are in no way indicative of the quality of an automobile. If so, then I guess the Chevy Cavalier is a better car than the Ferrari Enzo or Bentley Continental. Acura sold all the RL's that they expected to and did so profitably. Car companies that have to offer several different versions of their cars to boost sales do so at an enormous cost that eats away the profits. Don't forget that Nissan was nearly bankrupt not that long ago and don't forget that Honda has posted sales gains and increased profits for a very long time.
By the way, the Cavalier is outselling your M by a longshot, maybe you should go troll the Chevy sites as well.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Does the frontal shot of the 2007 ES350 remind you of anything?

http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=14998&page=11
Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondamore
Secondly, sales numbers are in no way indicative of the quality of an automobile. If so, then I guess the Chevy Cavalier is a better car than the Ferrari Enzo or Bentley Continental. Acura sold all the RL's that they expected to and did so profitably. Car companies that have to offer several different versions of their cars to boost sales do so at an enormous cost that eats away the profits. Don't forget that Nissan was nearly bankrupt not that long ago and don't forget that Honda has posted sales gains and increased profits for a very long time.
By the way, the Cavalier is outselling your M by a longshot, maybe you should go troll the Chevy sites as well.

uh, we're talking about in a certain "price class" here. comparing cars outside of price classes to argue your point is assinine at best.

and please look up the figures for profitability per car sold. Nissan/Infiniti are more profitable per car than Honda/Acura, and for that fact, more profitable than even toyota per car.

the fact that honda has been profitable for longer doesnt' mean jack...past results are not an indication of future (or current) performance. Otherwise the big 3 would rule the world by now.

And if offering more versions of a car makes it more costly, BUT makes it more desirable AND boosts sales which still lead to more profit, then that's a DISADVANTAGE to honda/acura.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Ok, the BMW's and Mercedes in the M's price class are outselling the M and by your logic are much better cars - why aren't you driving one of them??? The only asinine thing around here are the Infiniti trolls.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Ok, the BMW's and Mercedes in the M's price class are outselling the M and by your logic are much better cars - why aren't you driving one of them??? The only asinine thing around here are the Infiniti trolls.
i'm not driving one of them because of reliability.

But i admit...more people want the BMW and MB...where oh where did I or anyone else say they were better cars becasue they sold more? hmmm

and infiniti troll?

uhhh...

troll?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

this is what msu79gt82 said:

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
Facts - the M continues to outsell the RL by a longshot and is selling at a higher percentage of MSRP - those are facts. Hence more people want the M.

This is what hondamore said:
Secondly, sales numbers are in no way indicative of the quality of an automobile. If so, then I guess the Chevy Cavalier is a better car than the Ferrari Enzo or Bentley Continental.
i don't remember anyone except HONDAMORE mentioning sales number being indicative of quality.

But he's right. More caveliers sold than bently's...which makes perfect sense. More people can afford a cavalier than a bently, so more people would rather buy the cavalier than the bently. I sure as hell wouldn't want to buy a car I can't afford.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrock65
Does the frontal shot of the 2007 ES350 remind you of anything?

http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=14998&page=11
A bad copy of the RL. It still looks like a Camry.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Unit sales are not a reflection of either car's quality. If that were the case, then the Lexus GS must be vastly superior since it is outselling the Acura and the Infiniti
Who said anything about quality and/or superiority?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Racer

Firstly, nobody knows if the situation discribed by sanderson3 was a "serious problem" or simply the steering wheel lock needing to be wiggled or a new battery being needed in the key fob.
Regardless, my POINT was why post a question about a real or potential problem in a vehicle comparison thread? It is off topic to the thread and resulted in a discussion NOT pertinent to the question!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Racer

The only asinine thing around here are the Infiniti trolls.
You talking to me?

I joined in March 2001 (and have owned 3 Acuras)
I traded an '01 Acura MDX for an '04 Acura MDX that I still own.
I used to own an '02 Acura TL-S
I am very much interested in the future RDX and MDX and any other Acura that peaks my interest and curiosity.

Infiniti troll I thought acurazine was a home for Acura owners

Old 02-01-2006, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

i guess i better split..
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Pro

You talking to me?

I joined in March 2001 (and have owned 3 Acuras)
I traded an '01 Acura MDX for an '04 Acura MDX that I still own.
I used to own an '02 Acura TL-S
I am very much interested in the future RDX and MDX and any other Acura that peaks my interest and curiosity.

Personally, I will post in any forum I want to... whether I currently own the brand or not. Reason being, I may buy one at any time so I want to keep updated on new developments. I'm also a previous Acura owner, having owned a '99 TL, '04 TL and '05 RL before moving to Infiniti. My '01 and '03 models were Lexuses so I will continue to post in that forum as well.

Calling me a troll certainly won't hurt my feelings or make me go elsewhere because my comments are based on experience rather than conjecture.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see we are calling each other trolls instead of useful discussion.