Acura RL depreciation and transmission question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura RL depreciation and transmission question?

Ive been tempted to buying a 2006-2008 RL for some time now but wanted to know why these cars depreciation so much? One of my coworkers had mentioned that they've always had transmission problems. Is this true? What problems have the RL been known to have?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
There are no major issues with the transmission that have been stated here. In general, I have found Honda's transmissions to be the weakest part of their cars, but that is only because their engines are rock solid. Here are some links to common issues.

"Nothing but problems with '05 RL": https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/nothing-but-problems-w-05-rl-811811/

"Propeller Shaft (Whine) and Differential (Whir)": https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/002-propeller-shaft-whine-differential-whir-754805/

"Transmission Issues": https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/transmission-issues-802471/

Still, the RL has been praised for its reliability, even the 2005. The cars after mid '07 seem to have the least troubles. You will have to take this with a grain of salt as well. People generally don't come here and start a thread about how perfect their car is and how well it runs. They come here looking for advice on problems they are experiencing. That leads to a concentration of problems that does not reflect on the reliability of the car.

As for the depreciation, does it really depreciate that much different than other cars? If so, my guess would be the lack of awareness of the RL and really all Acura models for that matter. The RL has so little volume, that Acura doesn't even advertise it anymore. Nobody knows that this car is on par with MB E-class, Infinity M47, BMW 5-series, and others from Lexus and Audi (at least in 2009 when they did a MMC on the RL). Still, why would that bother someone looking to buy used? That should do nothing but help you find a great deal on a great car, IMHO.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I agree that the transmissions are the weakest part of any Honda that I have ever owned, and that has been more than a few. That being said, the 2006 RL is the most solid car I have ever owned, and the most reliable and trouble free.

Still, the transmissions seem to be very sensitive to fluid used, and fluid changes. You have to use Honda transmission fluid...anything else and it seems to shift roughly. Despite what the MID says, or does not say, even doing a partial drain and fill seems to help the transmission with smoothness. A full transmission flush (NEVER using a machine) is drain and fill 3 times, running the car through the gears in between to exchange the fluid out of the torque converter. I find just one 3-4 quart drain and fill every 30K miles does wonders. Again always use Honda fluid.

There is another thread popular in the TL section about how people change pressure sensors after 50K+ miles, and the wonders that change makes...

This year I did the lazy way out, because i did not want to remove all the shrouds and do a drain and fill...I used a vacuum extractor. Not the best, but hey, it is easy....and even two quarts seems to have smoothed out the shifting, which is crazy, because two quarts is nothing....

Last edited by Chas2; 07-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 185 Posts
I plan to do Transmission 3x3 drain as well but not sure if the Dealer will agree to that - I might need to find a shop that will do that for me (with my oil supply of Honda fluid)...

Many would ask why? I think transmission is very similar part like an engine - IT IS USED A LOT and it works AT ALL TIMES. Therefore, lubricating and greasing it up with new oil cannot hurt it at all - actually it makes it better.

Oil changes also are not a must at 3000 only - it can be every 1000 miles, but who can keep up at that pace right?

Anyhow, I disagree that RLs depreciate a lot (in class with A8, S-class MB or 7 series BMW - Acura is actually depreciating the slowest and is the best among mentioned cars because of it's maintenance not being expensive. Options / tech. toys is different story...

Anyhow, I suggest you go for younger possible year... I am happy with 2006 but if there was 07 I would get that one or even 08 ...

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree about the importance of regular transmission maintenance, but not with the engine oil statement. The 3000 mile "standard" is a thing of the past just like tipping 15% at a restaurant.

Today's engines are easily capable of going 6k mi between changes, and I have found Honda's to run close to 7.5k. If you use synthetic, you can easily get 10k mi out of your oil life, and depending on your driving environment and style, you can get 12-15k mi. (A 18-20% tip is the food industry standard. 15% should be a minimum if your waiter is horrible, but that argument belongs in "Ramblings".) Nonetheless, regular maintenance is as important as sleep if you want to keep running.

I am not sure if I understood your comment about the class of cars, but an RL is not in the same class as a 7-series. If it is, it is scraping the bottom and dragging ass.

Last edited by oo7spy; 07-21-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
I dont really see these cars depreciate that much. They are on par price wise with other cars that sold for the same new but had less features. So the RL is actually quite the catch,

Also the RL is not reported having transmission problems like the 01-04 maybe 05ish TL and Accord did. Honda perfected the 5speed automatic after that. Only reason Honda has ANY frequent transmission problems is because they design and built their own transmissions unlike most auto companies who use a 3rd party transmission supplier.

I've never had a problem with ANY Honda manual transmissions either but thats another conversation.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
depreciation really thats your worries when you buying a used car? I think you would be more worried of the smaller issues on hand. Like Transmission, motor mounts, or any smaller maintance work. But depreciation shouldn't be an issue.

Recently my car was appraised by a dealer who wanted me to trade my car in for a new RL... I bought mine for 20k 2 years ago. I owe like 14k. and the dealer offered me just above 16k. I thought that was generous lol... being that my car is 5yrs old.

don't listen to your co-workers about depreciation. this cars are great. but like everyone else states they have there flaws but when you buy yours just take care of it...
Old 07-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you guys happen to know what transmission fluid is used for a 3x3 transmission flush? I plan on getting that done soon, and I remember reading on here that dealers are using a new transmission fluid.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
Do you guys happen to know what transmission fluid is used for a 3x3 transmission flush? I plan on getting that done soon, and I remember reading on here that dealers are using a new transmission fluid.
There is a new replacement for ATF-Z1, and it is backwards compatible. From the November 2010 Acura ServiceNews:

New ATF DW-1 Now Available
Acura parts stock has a new ATF available. It’s
called ATF DW-1 and it replaces ATF-Z1. It’s been
designed to improve transmission performance when
it’s cold, which helps with fuel economy.

ATF DW-1 is the factory fill for all ‘11 Acura models.
Eventually it will be our only ATF, but you can keep
using ATF-Z1 in all ’10 and older models for now.

However, make sure that you DO NOT use ATF-Z1
in any ’11 and newer models.

ATF DW-1 is available in 1-quart bottles
(P/N 08200-9008A).

There is also a new replacement for the SH-AWD components, that is backwards compatible with ATF-Z1. From the October 2010 Acura ServiceNews:

New All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF) for SH-AWD

Acura parts stock has a new SH-AWD rear
differential fluid available. It’s Acura All-Wheel Drive
Fluid (DPSF), and it replaces ATF-Z1. It’s been
specifically formulated to withstand the extreme
conditions in the AWD differential, offering better
protection and greater longevity.

DPSF is the factory fill for all ’11 Acura models with
SH-AWD, as well as some ’10 models, and should
be used in ’10 and earlier models that call for ATF-Z1
or DPSF. However, ’01-06 MDXs will still use VTM-4
differential fluid.

Models that are factory-filled with DPSF have DPSF
stamped on the rear differential assembly. The fluid
is also clear instead of pink. If you need to top off the
diff fluid and DPSF isn’t available, go ahead and use
ATF-Z1; it’s OK in a pinch.

DPSF is available in 1-quart bottles
(P/N08200-9007A).

However, you should not put the SH-AWD DPSF fluid in the tranny.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (07-22-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm trying to buy this DPSF online, and this is what I get from searching the part number supplied here: http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/produ...ntenance-parts

I assume the "D", "P" and "F" stand for Dual Pump Fluid, but what about the "S"? Is this the right stuff?

Also, from anyone who has changed both tranny and diff fluids themselves, how much should I buy of each?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Anyone? Chas2, where are you?