Acura Nov 2007 Sales - Everything is Down

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Depends on the market. If you're talking about Acura's typical market, then it is okay to have fewer option packages at a lower price. However, if you're talking about the true luxury market ($45K and up) then they are going to want more flexibility in features, even if it costs more.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For one thing, I'm almost sure that the next FMC Acura Legend/RL coming out in 2010+ (not the MMC 2008) is going to be nothing less than spectacular, for the simple reason that Acura is going live in Japan, their own turf. Going upscale in the difficult japanese market is going to be a big thing, and they certainly will like to be compared favorably to Lexus, their direct competitor. With a global luxury brand, Acura will have to deliver the goods or die, no more subsidizing. Lexus went global with a more healthy stance and with Toyota's deep pockets; Honda is not that big so the stakes are very high. I'm not sure how the platforms/models will be lined up but the next TL should give as a good idea on where Acura is headed.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Race Director

You know who does a real shitty job of options? Lexus. Now dont get me wrong I love there cars and I am not saying the options themseleves are bad but the way you build them on there site is horrible. Go to any site Acura, BMW etc and then build a car on lexus. I dont know how to describe how they have it set up I just HATE it I think its an awful design.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:30 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Acura could offer its basic packages but offer things like a Panorama moonroof or premium leather or paint, illuminated door sills, and maybe some of those cool things they have in Japan like the front sensors as options.

I mean, people say offer more packages but would a person really pay $1,000 to get the car with the options they want shipped in from Oregon?

Originally Posted by neuronbob
It's interesting to hear you say this, CL6. It seems Acura can't win--it bundles everything together in a single package, and people complain, and if there are too many options, people complain. The middle ground appears to be bigger bundled packages.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Red face Options

I always liked that Acura crams all the options in there - even if I do not use some of them. Luxury cars are supposed to have unnecessary things, thats the nature of the beat in my opinion. However, this only applies to luxury features like the stereo, ambient lighting, auto windows, climate control ....

What Acura does need options for, are the other things like RWD/FWD/AWD & engines.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

The "kitchen sink" approach works well up to a point. After that, people want to choose from various options, even though it costs them substantially more.

It really goes back to if Acura wants to continue to be the Japanese Buick (perception of near luxury) or if they want to be a Japanese Cadillac (perception of real luxury).
Old 12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Personalization is way overblown. There are so many options available that for most people you'll never find what you want or, if you do, it's in another state and would be a $1,200 shipping charge. Sure, you get a person every once in a while who wants this exact car, etc... but they are a small minority. Sales people don't want to sell that kind of a car. Just switch them to something in stock or, at worst, something you can trade for.

When I worked at Acura I thought the 'personalization' factor with MB or BMW was important. Now I don't think that. As a matter of fact, the trend at MB is to offer fewer options and to bundle more things together in premium packages.

I do think Acura should offer bolder interior colors.

Trust me, for the customer having so many options is frustrating. Perhaps doing what Scion does and being able to change trim pieces or add lighting would be the way to go.
In the luxury segment when you choose your car you want the best.. In the near luxury market you don't need it.
The Audi offer to you leather at 12.000 euro price. Creazy? Stupid? People that buy a car for 90.000$ looks at these details, love loosing their time looking for these details...
FEW people I agree, but FEW people are the one that give the name to the car maker and the level of quality...
Even the Alfa Romeo offers many different colors and options that you can loose your head. But, boys, the RESULT is simply great!!
I would 100 times loose my time trying to find out the best combination of colors, of quality of leather, of electronical optionals in my TL or RL.
Look at the Mercedes S: in Germany they sell to you the NAKED Merc with the engine. EVERITHING is an option, and is personalisation, from the exterior colors (hundreds different) to the most little detail. People loose 2 days before to find out what theyn want!
A car is like your house: each detail is important and YOURS...
Old 12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
It really goes back to if Acura wants to continue to be the Japanese Buick (perception of near luxury) or if they want to be a Japanese Cadillac (perception of real luxury).

Very interesting.
I suppose the perception thing depends on where you live or grew up; with all due respect, for most of the rest of the world, including Europe and Japan, most American brands, incl. Buick and Cadillac are perceived as pieces of junk, let alone real luxury. Notable exceptions are China and some South American countries, though
Old 12-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm sorry, I meant the perception of Buick and Caddy from 40+ years ago, when GM and American cars meant something. From what I understand, GM purposely kept the Buick brand one step below the Cadillac brand, even though they are the same company. Nowadays, Americans tend to think of Acura as one step below Lexus, even though we all know better.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
One of the biggest complaints Acura has had to suffer in the luxury market is the lack of a V8. Sure, V6 engines are more fuel efficient and can be tuned to deliver oodles of power, but nothing compares to the effortless grunt of a V8 engine. Plus, with Mercedes and BMW offering increasingly higher-output V8 engines on their models, it was time to move up to be taken seriously in the luxury market. That’s why Honda will be introducing V8 engines in vehicles for its luxury brand Acura, but not for Honda itself. In an interview with Automotive News, Hirohide Ikeno, president of Honda R&D Americas confirmed that V8 power “is our direction” and that he would be personally pushing for the move.

It’s expected the top-of-the-line Acura RL (pictured above) will be one of the first vehicles to get the V8 when it’s introduced. Honda may also sell V8 engines in its own brand cars outside the US.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

It's no secret that the Acura's flagship the RL has failed to capture an audience. Acura hopes to change that next summer by giving the slow-selling sedan a makeover.According to Automotive News, Acura execs have given dealers some information about the new car although final specs and details were not. Dealers have complained about the RL's styling, lack of rear legroom and the powertrain. A dealer in Pittsburgh told Automotive News that the car will receive “a major facelift in the front and back.”

In addition to the interior changes, dealers are also hoping that Acura does something with the V6 engine, such as adding an available V8.

Dan Bonawitz vice president of corporate planning and logistics for American Honda confirmed that the RL will receive some changes next summer and that the interior could be improved. He failed to mention if any of the powertrain complaints will be addressed.

Sales of the current RL are down 47.5% this year compared to the same period last year.

If Acura ever wants the RL to compete with Lexus, BMW and Mercedes-Benz they are going to have to install a V8 engine and maybe even offer RWD on the RL.

The 2009 model year should be a big year for Acura with the RL, TL and TSX sedans all getting redesigns.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Chris Doane (Brenda Priddy) has caught the upcoming 2009 Acura TSX being tested right outside of Honda's facility in the US. The new car is only slightly larger than the current TSX, but the big news is the addition of more power under the hood.

The next TSX will come in two versions. The base model will feature a more powerful version of the current 2.4L 4-cylinder with about 20 to 30 more horsepower. The model to get will be the Type-S version of the TSX that will be powered by the same 2.3L turbocharged engine that currently resides in the RDX crossover. In the TSX the 2.3L engine will put out around 260 horsepower. The Type-S version will also employ Acura's SH-AWD system which should eliminate any torque steer.

The next TSX could also eventually have a diesel option, since the Accord is set to get it for 2009.

Expect the new more powerful and aggressively styled TSX to be in showrooms by this time next year.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rexorg
It's no secret that the Acura's flagship the RL has failed to capture an audience. Acura hopes to change that next summer by giving the slow-selling sedan a makeover.According to Automotive News, Acura execs have given dealers some information about the new car although final specs and details were not. Dealers have complained about the RL's styling, lack of rear legroom and the powertrain. A dealer in Pittsburgh told Automotive News that the car will receive “a major facelift in the front and back.”

In addition to the interior changes, dealers are also hoping that Acura does something with the V6 engine, such as adding an available V8.

Dan Bonawitz vice president of corporate planning and logistics for American Honda confirmed that the RL will receive some changes next summer and that the interior could be improved. He failed to mention if any of the powertrain complaints will be addressed.

Sales of the current RL are down 47.5% this year compared to the same period last year.

If Acura ever wants the RL to compete with Lexus, BMW and Mercedes-Benz they are going to have to install a V8 engine and maybe even offer RWD on the RL.

The 2009 model year should be a big year for Acura with the RL, TL and TSX sedans all getting redesigns.
The TSX will be on sale on April 2008.
The TL on October 2008.
The RL...
Three NEW cars in ONE year? It seems to me very strange.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Lightbulb Yeah

Originally Posted by krio
The TSX will be on sale on April 2008.
The TL on October 2008.
The RL...
Three NEW cars in ONE year? It seems to me very strange.
The RL is a refresh {which should have happened in the 2008 instead of the 2009 model year} tho but still - it is 3 introductions in 1 year. I really wish they had debuted the new TSX as a 2008 model & the TL as 2009 & then separate the RDX & MDX into separate years instead of debuting after 5 years in 2012.

As is, 2009 may be a great year for Acura sales w/ 3 new things to offer but in 4 years they are are probably going to be where they are today: aged models & annual sales down like 10%.

Infiniti has acknowledged that they had this exact problem w/ aged models & have worked on having new/more models every year -- in fact, I just read something where they said that they want to have 10 new models including a new flagship Q & some CUVs to keep people coming to their showrooms.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The TSX originally debuted here in the spring, so no diff there.

If the RL's model change is really a MMC rather than a FMC, as seems likely, then the FMC RL will appear at some point after the FMC TL and TSX have been released.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX69
The RL is a refresh {which should have happened in the 2008 instead of the 2009 model year} tho but still - it is 3 introductions in 1 year. I really wish they had debuted the new TSX as a 2008 model & the TL as 2009 & then separate the RDX & MDX into separate years instead of debuting after 5 years in 2012.

As is, 2009 may be a great year for Acura sales w/ 3 new things to offer but in 4 years they are are probably going to be where they are today: aged models & annual sales down like 10%.

Infiniti has acknowledged that they had this exact problem w/ aged models & have worked on having new/more models every year -- in fact, I just read something where they said that they want to have 10 new models including a new flagship Q & some CUVs to keep people coming to their showrooms.

ok TSX. I agree. The TSX in Europe is selling so WELL, till now as Honda Accord. My friend ordered the NEW Accord 2009, that is not yet been presented!!
Only in March at the Geneva Auto Show...

His Honda Accord (Acura TSX 2009) will be in the dealer show room in JUNE 2008.

In our town is already the 231 guy of a 250 list ready to buy the car, BLIND. Even the techn. caract. he doesn't know!!
It means that the 251 one potential owner has to wait 4 more months for getting it.
About the RL. It's strange that the RL didn't get a refresh in 2007.
But here people is speculating about a "roomier and longer" RL, in 2008 for the 2009 model...
In midcycle life, if I'm not wrong, the cars don't get wider, or longer, they change bumpers, enhance engines and the interior package... That's all!
Than, it will be a midcycle change or an all new one RL 3DG for the nbext year??