Actual dealer cost? Prices lower than $44?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 06:56 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actual dealer cost? Prices lower than $44?

My understanding is that dealer cost for an RL purchase (not lease) is $44,284 less a dealer holdback of 3% ($1,328), for a true net cost of $42,956.

I found the best I could do $43,800, but sometime read on forums that people bought for under $43,000 or that you can get these for around $40K in the NYC area.

Am I missing something? Should I expect to do better at this time of year? Unless there is more "hidden" money, I would not expect them to sell at below their costs.

Also, any thoughts of what the true trade in on these might be in 3 yrs and 5 yrs?

Thoughts/suggestions/ideas/better prices???
Old 08-27-2005, 09:08 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
$43.8k is a pretty good deal in NYC. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that price from?
Old 08-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Instructor

I am in the NYC area also.

Sorry to say, the 43k & below prices you read about are not happening in our area.

The best I can do to date is 45k on a new purchase. That scares me because it is late in the year, & these cars are getting only 37k wholesale. (Under 10k miles)!

I admire Acura for not rebating or giving incentives on these cars, as many owners feared. This at least is confirmation that they are not abandoning those that bought RL's & paid good money!

While Acura cannot control the plunge these cars are taking, they are not adding to the melee! To me, that is corporate loyalty to the customers!

With little or no haggling, I have recieved prices from 2 Infiniti dealers on an M35x giving me 3k off the sticker.

I still see a few very early VIN RL's in dealer's inventories. The M35x's available seem to be those that just landed at the dealer, or or coming in!

On E-bay check out what the used RL's are getting, & then check the used M prices!

My point to all this is paying 45k for a new leftover 05 RL is insanity with the new 06's just around the corner!

3K more buy's you an 06 M35x......which at this point, seems to be promising higher resale & desireability should you need to unload it!

IMHO, The M is not a better car than the RL, and falls short of the RL in many...many ways, but sadly, this is the reality!

Steve C.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am in the same boat. Looking to pull the trigger this upcoming labor day weekend. The dealers in NJ (central, northern) are quoting 45K + ttl/tax, which isn't bad, but isn't good. I am going to aggressively email the dealers and get some competitive quotes. My dilemna is that a good friend can get me a very good price for a M35x (close to invoice). I just don't like the M35x looks. IMHO its too Nissan Altima-ish. Besides, owning a hondas/acuras for 13 years makes me a little biased toward Honda/Acura. Good luck..try to grind out a few dollars...if you can.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by static808
I am in the same boat. Looking to pull the trigger this upcoming labor day weekend. The dealers in NJ (central, northern) are quoting 45K + ttl/tax, which isn't bad, but isn't good. I am going to aggressively email the dealers and get some competitive quotes. My dilemna is that a good friend can get me a very good price for a M35x (close to invoice). I just don't like the M35x looks. IMHO its too Nissan Altima-ish. Besides, owning a hondas/acuras for 13 years makes me a little biased toward Honda/Acura. Good luck..try to grind out a few dollars...if you can.
Static,
Is your "good friend" eligible for the Nissan/Infinity discount?

Steve C.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Racer

Not sure. My buddy is good friends with a local Infiniti Manager and mentioned that I could get a decent "close-to" invoice price. I haven't explored the avenue yet. If I go, my buddy mentioned it would be to buy the car that day to get the deal. Still want the RL...
Old 08-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Not sure. My buddy is good friends with a local Infiniti Manager and mentioned that I could get a decent "close-to" invoice price. I haven't explored the avenue yet. If I go, my buddy mentioned it would be to buy the car that day to get the deal. Still want the RL...
If you go that route, see if the deal is good for 2!
I'd love to jump in!
Steve C.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Racer

Where are you located? Best deal I've seen on the M is $800 over invoice.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
6th Gear

It took a bit of work, but I ended up with my local dealer after all.

New white/tan RL w/ wheel locks and truck tray. Buy price of $43,800 plus $400 doc, plus NC 3% tax, plus $62 tags. Lease price with $2050 out the door (includes 1st month pmt and no security) then 35 pmts of $561 with 12K miles.

I took the lease deal as it had a lower net present value for me. The lease assumed a residual of $29,305, but I think the real end of 3 yr value will be closer to $24000 (which is what the non-American Honda leasors use.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Racer

I got some feedback from other dealers. Most all are stating $45K for the RL via email, seems firm. I guess there might be some wiggle room, hopefully. Also their appears to be a finance special, 2.9%, 3.9% or 4.9%. Its thru labor day weekend. Looks like Acura had to ante up with Infiniti and Lexus offering finance specials. I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Instructor

I got some feedback from other dealers. Most all are stating $45K for the RL via email, seems firm. I guess there might be some wiggle room, hopefully. Also their appears to be a finance special, 2.9%, 3.9% or 4.9%. Its thru labor day weekend. Looks like Acura had to ante up with Infiniti and Lexus offering finance specials. I'll keep you posted.
Yes, That is where I stalled at....$45.3k
Even with the 2.9 special, it is still not enough to push me into a leftover.

I was at Ramsey of Acura a few weeks ago...while sitting in a demo they have on the floor, some pimple faced kid in a tie told me to buy now....only 49k...it wont last long.....sigh!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Racer

Its very strange that the $45K price is the final price for leftover RL's. I am going to DCH in Montclair NJ and Open Road in Central Jersey. Both dealers seem to have some good reports in the Acurazine forums. I am hoping for something close to invoice, but that might be a reach.

I'll update this weekend with the results.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:36 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its very strange that the $45K price is the final price for leftover RL's. I am going to DCH in Montclair NJ and Open Road in Central Jersey. Both dealers seem to have some good reports in the Acurazine forums. I am hoping for something close to invoice, but that might be a reach.

I'll update this weekend with the results.
$45K is still a great deal for a MSRP car that is $50K. Figure out how much difference its going to save you monthly by getting it for $500 less.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Instructor

My experience and my suggestions for buying an RL

For those of you who are seriously pricing the RL, here's my experience and suggestions:

When I purchased my RL in April I sent out e-mails to just three local dealers in addition to visiting my local dealer in Northern California.

I had read that at the time the very best prices anywhere were in the $45K range.

One e-mail quote came back at $45,300, another at $46,500 and the third didn't respond.

I went to my local dealer (where I had purchased a car two years ago) and told them I was ready to buy today at $45,100. Without a blink they said, "OK, let's do the paperwork." We did and that was it.

Two days later the third e-mail quote came in at $43,850.

Of course that made me wonder if I could have saved a few hundred more. It's not an issue because I'm very happy with my car and my deal.

If I were doing it again I would have sent out twice as many e-mails and waited a week before proceding.

Clearly today, almost five months later, I would expect to get a significantly better deal than $45K or else I would wait for the '06s.

If you feel like you are controlling the situation because you are voting with your dollars, that comes through to the dealer. With so many great alternatives and so many dealers there is absolutely no reason to let a dealer sell you a car (RL or not) at a price that you are not comfortable with.

Regards,

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Clearly today, almost five months later, I would expect to get a significantly better deal than $45K or else I would wait for the '06s.

If you feel like you are controlling the situation because you are voting with your dollars, that comes through to the dealer. With so many great alternatives and so many dealers there is absolutely no reason to let a dealer sell you a car (RL or not) at a price that you are not comfortable with.
Regards,
Dave

I agree on all counts. If new leftover RL's are at 45K, how much can the 06's command when their are no changes to them?

IMHO, the 06's will be discounted right from the start, which may make the wait better at this point!

It is always good to remember, as Dave says, you are holding the money, & should be in control. If they get that message, it puts you in a better posistion!

Reminds me of the commercial for the loan company that shows a salesman talking to a customer asking if they have a deal on the 57 chevy in the showroom. A whole wad of cash comes running up to back up the buyer.....then the buyer says, no deal, call me when you get a red one!....the cash then runs away!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Two days ago I purchased new 05 RL black/black. My Price was 44.9K with destination charge. This was the best I could do in Connecticut. Dealer’s invoice was 44.3K. I have checked 4 different dealers, and this is the best I could do on a purchase. My best offers from otters were 46K, 47K, 45.0K. I would be very surprised if a dealer offered you one for less than 43K. Also please check to see if your VIN is at least > than 12000. I know that initially the sticker price was 48.9K not 49.1K. I realy do not know why this was the case. Also check your car very closely, one dealer almost sold me one RL with factory paint defects (what a joke this was). It will be very hard for you at this time to get what you want, so they might not negotiate with you on $$$. They are getting new RL's in October and they do not have as many left right now on their lots. Especially if you want VIN > than 12000. So they know that they can hold their prices.
If you live in CT and looking to buy black/black I can email you the VIN number of the one that had factory paint defets that is currently on sale at one of the local dealers in CT. Just post reply with your email.

05 RL, Black/Black, Spoiler, K&N Air Filter
Old 09-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey MOD - Can we have a poll on prices paid??

PLEASE!!!! Maybe with $500 increments from $42K-50K if possible???
Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by urbaita1
PLEASE!!!! Maybe with $500 increments from $42K-50K if possible???

Dealer should help you out with $500 increments from 42 to 50K. Good Luck.......
Old 09-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
I took delivery of my Nighthawk Black/Parchment this past Saturday. Total price was $44,383, plus 6% PA sales tax. I, too, took the internet route. Emailed solicitations to 8 dealers in PA, NJ and DC (where I regularly do business). Kept brow beating the respondants until I got three dealers (1 local, 2 in DC) to quote me, "Around $44,000". That was good enough for me, took my credit union check to DC last Friday and walked out the door with the car. It is true.....show up with cash in hand to buy and suddenly no one with let you leave the dealership without buying. The Manager swung the deal with me when I said I had another appointment with the other DC dealership and got up to leave his office. He broke down quickly and closed the deal. Patience is a key ingredient when negotiating car deals.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:43 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by dtrose
$45K is still a great deal for a MSRP car that is $50K. Figure out how much difference its going to save you monthly by getting it for $500 less.
I think it is a guy thing where guys feel the need to prove thier manhood by getitng the absolute best price possible even if it doesnt really make a difference in the long term.

My bro and I recently sold our house and bought a new one and in both transactions we dealt with guys who had serious ego problems and were lacking common sense. The guy who bought our house almost passed on it simply because of 5 grand in price but his wife talked some sense into him. The beauty was that we were fine with his asking price but I guess he was expecting us to increase it so when we sent the offer back to him he decided to lower HIS OWN price. Never have I seen a person negoitate their own price like that. The guy we bought to also has issues in this area but I wont get inot it with him.

All I know is as a man I often get ashamed by the macho type attitude my fellow men show. Not trying to lowball people and accepting good deals that arent spectacular deals does not decrease your manhood.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
I think it is a guy thing where guys feel the need to prove thier manhood by getitng the absolute best price possible even if it doesnt really make a difference in the long term.

My bro and I recently sold our house and bought a new one and in both transactions we dealt with guys who had serious ego problems and were lacking common sense. The guy who bought our house almost passed on it simply because of 5 grand in price but his wife talked some sense into him. The beauty was that we were fine with his asking price but I guess he was expecting us to increase it so when we sent the offer back to him he decided to lower HIS OWN price. Never have I seen a person negoitate their own price like that. The guy we bought to also has issues in this area but I wont get inot it with him.

All I know is as a man I often get ashamed by the macho type attitude my fellow men show. Not trying to lowball people and accepting good deals that arent spectacular deals does not decrease your manhood.
Uh, what?