2011 RL (let's start wishing now)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Lightbulb 2011 RL (let's start wishing now)

Now that the 2009 MMC RL has debuted, to much consternation, it's maybe time to start looking ahead to 2011.

When the 2011 RL goes on sale in 2010, I'll probably be back in the market for a nice car, as will many of you. Here's some of the things I expect to see on it:

- A 6spd automatic transmission. 7- and 8-speed trannies are out there right now, but I expect Honda to stick with 6 gears, and that's fine, since with proper gearing a 6spd can do a great job.

- SH-AWD as an option. I think Acura will have softened on its stance that all their products will have it, especially as the 2020 CAFE standards loom and AWD trims a little off gas mileage.

- RWD. Along with making SH-AWD an option, the switch to rear-wheel drive will help preserve Acura's image as an upscale, driver's car.

- A V-8 engine option. Advances (pardon the pun) in engine technology will allow a small-displacement V-8 to produce roughly 350hp without sacrificing economy as compared to similar-output V-6's. Things like DI, cylinder deactivation and cam phasing will combine with other tech to accomplish this in the next two years.

- Increased size. The 2011 RL will grow up to be a full-size luxury sedan, on the order of the LS460, 7-series and even the M-B S-class. (The TL will have grown to fill the slot the RL now occupies.)

- Cutting-edge technology. As always, Acura will lead in this area, with
--- HDD-based advanced nav and audio,
--- Real-time radar weather overlaid on the nav screen,
--- Automatic updating of map data via Acuralink,
--- Photo-electric window tinting at the press of a button,
--- Tiny cameras for rear and side views to aid in parking and security,
and more.

What would YOU like to see?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
If Acura keeps making cars that look like th '09 RL, you wont have to worry about what the up and coming next model is.

Acura.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if there are some photoshop gods around that we should also create what we would want in an RL. I think if you combined the looks of a LEgend and and overall bigger chassis similiar to first gen RL and then added flaring, bodylines, better rims, change up the headlights etc......I think we would have one nice car.

The lexus LS430 is a very nice car and is very big and also what most people look in that catagory/price range

just my two cents.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Now that the 2009 MMC RL has debuted, to much consternation, it's maybe time to start looking ahead to 2011.

When the 2011 RL goes on sale in 2010, I'll probably be back in the market for a nice car, as will many of you. Here's some of the things I expect to see on it:

- A 6spd automatic transmission. 7- and 8-speed trannies are out there right now, but I expect Honda to stick with 6 gears, and that's fine, since with proper gearing a 6spd can do a great job.

- SH-AWD as an option. I think Acura will have softened on its stance that all their products will have it, especially as the 2020 CAFE standards loom and AWD trims a little off gas mileage.

- RWD. Along with making SH-AWD an option, the switch to rear-wheel drive will help preserve Acura's image as an upscale, driver's car.

- A V-8 engine option. Advances (pardon the pun) in engine technology will allow a small-displacement V-8 to produce roughly 350hp without sacrificing economy as compared to similar-output V-6's. Things like DI, cylinder deactivation and cam phasing will combine with other tech to accomplish this in the next two years.

- Increased size. The 2011 RL will grow up to be a full-size luxury sedan, on the order of the LS460, 7-series and even the M-B S-class. (The TL will have grown to fill the slot the RL now occupies.)

- Cutting-edge technology. As always, Acura will lead in this area, with
--- HDD-based advanced nav and audio,
--- Real-time radar weather overlaid on the nav screen,
--- Automatic updating of map data via Acuralink,
--- Photo-electric window tinting at the press of a button,
--- Tiny cameras for rear and side views to aid in parking and security,
and more.

What would YOU like to see?

We can dream.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wish List: New Head designer.

Hopefully Acura sends out some work requisitions on Monster.com to find a real car designer. Heck, I'd give Chris Bangle $20million to come over to Acura. These idiots are going to singlehandedly ruin the TSX, TL and RL.

The beak lives.....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would like autopark feature on the 2011 RL... not the kind that can't park on slopes and requires input from the driver on the brakes... I want a car that can find a space, park itself and then unpark itself when I come back. It can even search around the block for a space if necessary.

Kidding aside, I would like to see maybe some creative trunk space management... more cubby holes and storage options for different people. (interchangeable so it's not expensive to make the car......) For example, a golfer package that has a partition for golf shoes (wet or otherwise) maybe a space for some other golf accessories, shirts, small gym/ clothes bag. The whole storage tray/ partition fits under the trunk floor for a flat load floor.

Maybe some better wheel options (18s, 19s, and even 20s), voice activated iPod controls (not just climate control, radio, NAV), Cylinder Management/ Deactivation so higher mileage is attainable, Panoramic Moonroof or Roof panel that you can vary the darkenes or opacity of...

my 2 cents...
Old 02-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Racer

Here's a feature/idea that I've never heard of in a car before but one which I would like to have. A driver-selectable governor. This might sound silly but I find it very difficult to keep my RL under the speed limit when driving around town. It's too short of a distance for cruise control. I'm constantly looking down at the speedometer and find that I am speeding. I'd like to be able to set a speed maximum and the car not allow me to go over that speed. This way, I could drive in a spirited fashion and not worry about going over the speed limit that I set. I'd like it to be easily changeable too and simple to disable.

For example, last night I was driving on a 50mph back road. I looked down and I was going 70mph. That's a ticket waiting to happen and I didn't realize it. The car is so smooth, quiet and powerful.

I guess a radar detector would help the situation but I would really like to be able to set a speed maximum knowing that, no matter what, I won't be speeding.

Am I the only geek who would like something like this?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by gavine
Here's a feature/idea that I've never heard of in a car before but one which I would like to have. A driver-selectable governor. This might sound silly but I find it very difficult to keep my RL under the speed limit when driving around town. It's too short of a distance for cruise control. I'm constantly looking down at the speedometer and find that I am speeding. I'd like to be able to set a speed maximum and the car not allow me to go over that speed. This way, I could drive in a spirited fashion and not worry about going over the speed limit that I set. I'd like it to be easily changeable too and simple to disable.

For example, last night I was driving on a 50mph back road. I looked down and I was going 70mph. That's a ticket waiting to happen and I didn't realize it. The car is so smooth, quiet and powerful.

I guess a radar detector would help the situation but I would really like to be able to set a speed maximum knowing that, no matter what, I won't be speeding.

Am I the only geek who would like something like this?
Now, that's an interesting concept ... I don't know if I'd buy it myself, but I can sure see where it could be useful. There are a few cars out there that have a buzzer or chime reminder you can set to a given speed, but the governor would be even better.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Racer

I wasn't aware of the chime...even that would be good enough for me.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:05 AM
2007 BMW 550i sleeps in

I'd wish for Auto Starter feature. Been missing this small feature since exchange dBMW X5 to 2008 RL.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
My wishlist- they are lofty wishes, but nonetheless, they are wishes.

Choice of engines, transmissions, suspension:
-DOHC A-VTEC v6 w/ VCM
-DOHC A-VTEC v8 w/ VCM
-Type S V10 Halo Car, using same v10 in upcoming NSX.
-Hydrogen Fuel Cell for lease
-New Transmissions, Auto/DSG/SMG/Stepped CVT
-RWD or SH-AWD.
-Condition related suspension and throttle response settings. Economy, Sport, Race, Snow, etc.

Technology:
-TFT LCD Guage cluster. Configurable to meet demand of commuting, long distance travel, night/day configurations. Allow for different downloadable skins from dealerships. Performance statistics would be nice too.
-Combine all current fad technologies into a usable driving oriented system. Nightvision, CMBS, lane change assist/warning, xm traffic and auto re-route, weather, etc. Make it possible to drive on freeway on instruments only (trust me, it will happen at some point).
-Fingerprint or Voice Recognition Startup and Memory configuration. Imagine saying "Good Morning RL, Driver Configuration 1, go to Office" and having it change your seat and mirrors, find your radio station, set up your route to avoid traffic while the car is starting up.

Design:
-hire new head designer or fire the guy that forced the head designer to incorporate that grill.
-Make design passionate and sexy as opposed to bold. Forget corporate identity as opposed to making a great car look great.
-get rid of grill, or better integrate grill. Design it in from the start, like the sport4 concept has.

marketing:
-Coincide with release of NSX using same V10. Don't hide that fact that the Type S has that same engine.
-Race it, if it doesn't change in size much. Participate in Speed GT and similar races.

Miscellaneous:
-Revive Soichiro and show him that hideous grill. Have all associated parties cutoff their pinkies to apologize.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
-6-speed transmission
-standard wheel sizes
-standard wiper blades
Old 02-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
- Diesel engine
- High-end audio option (Dynaudio, Levinson, etc.)
- Larger trunk
Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u buy an RL and own it...at that point, there are no real disadvantages of AWD, except added vehicle weight. handling, stability & traction is tons better than RWD.

keep AWD for all RL's

Variable suspension appeals to me. dial up your comfort.

update transmission... need something other than 5 speed.

The mini V10 can be well managed in this car for performance & MPG. If you make it for the NSX, make it for the RL.

Increase rear leg room.

You most likely wont sell a lot more cars but you can sticker it at 65k and sell it for 55k to a loyal group of those of us who bought Honda motorcycles in the 60's, Civics in the early 70's,Accords in the mid 70's, Preludes in the early 80's, Legends in the late 80's early 90's.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Here's a feature/idea that I would like to have. A driver-selectable governor. This might sound silly but I find it very difficult to keep my RL under the speed limit when driving around town.
My Mom's 62 Buick Electra had something like that, it was a user adjustable needle on the speedo that when hit with the actual speedo needle would make a loud beep. I don't think it retarded the engine on it's own, just a warning.

Only feature I'd like on RL would be a hard drive for music storage.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Advanced

V8 engine or V10 even trow in a small turbo for low end pickup and larger for extra burst at end.
Optional Diesel V8 similar to Audi's TDI in EU.
6-8 speed auto or optional 6speed stick.
Am I the only one that would like to see a E brake where it belongs instead of that asinine pedal?
Change so it handle's more like a RWD and have the AWD kick in if you step out of line too much.
BMW like handling.
Larger Vehicle, it's too similar sized to the TL.
Bigger trunk.
Rear lights more like TL not so round, and if you go round more like skyline round than wrap around.
Have fixed shift flippers, can loose track if your turning the wheel then they become reversed.
Make It a little Larger, It needs more SPACE.

My main one have a better turning radius it would help when parallel parking, this is not a 3 legged mule. Have a 97 RL and tried the 06 and I still think it need some adjustment, I've seen larger cars turn in better to park.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ellover009
Have fixed shift flippers, can loose track if your turning the wheel then they become reversed.
I use the gear selector to shift when the wheel is turning too much. On straight-aways, I use the paddle shifters.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM
AcurAdmirer

I use the gear selector to shift when the wheel is turning too much. On straight-aways, I use the paddle shifters.
Agree. I know the car mag guys like the fixed paddles, but when you're winding the wheel back and forth at a rapid pace, are you really going to be finding those left and right paddles and shifting in the middle of it all? I can easily reach my right hand down for the console shifter without taking my eyes off the road.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Agree. I know the car mag guys like the fixed paddles, but when you're winding the wheel back and forth at a rapid pace, are you really going to be finding those left and right paddles and shifting in the middle of it all? I can easily reach my right hand down for the console shifter without taking my eyes off the road.

A solution is a quicker steering ratio, larger or elongated paddles that follow the curvature of the steering wheel, and possibly a smaller steering wheel. I don't know how that would look on a larger car like the RL, but it would be easier to keep your hands pretty close to the correct sides.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
According to the info I received in January. The new bigger Acura RL, or whatever it will be called, will be an '10 model and be out next year. As far as the RL I think this is it for the time being.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by Rexorg
According to the info I received in January. The new bigger Acura RL, or whatever it will be called, will be an '10 model and be out next year. As far as the RL I think this is it for the time being.
Part of the confusion here has been whether it will be a 2010 model, or if it will just debut in 2010 (as a 2011 model). I think the quotes we've seen say something like, "The all-new RL will arrive in 2010.", and that's vague.

I also guess most of us would be surprised (to say the least) if Acura produced the '09-type MMC car for only one year, since tooling and production costs would seem to make that prohibitive.

I wish we could determine for sure when the 3G RL actually will break cover.