2010 MDX getting CMBS/ACC

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 MDX getting CMBS/ACC

I am sure most of you are aware of this, but saw this thread in the MDX forum as this is the most detail I had seen on the new "Advanced Package". This level will have the CMBS/ACC system on the MDX. (old news, but thought I would bring it up)

https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/2010-mdx-gets-6at-new-advance-trim-level-736445/

Curious what else they are taking from the RL. The spy pics from another thread look like the same rims from the new RL (18" 7 spoke spiders). Wondering if the ventilated seats also make it in there, that would be awesome.

Also sounds like the MDX will be getting the Navi system from the new TL. Makes sense as they MDX is made in Canada (TL made in Ohio, door to door about 6-7 hours). The TL's Navi has a HDD and parking grids on the back-up camera. My '09 RL has the same basic system as the '05-'08 RLs. So no HDD or grids.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Meanwhile, there are no changes for the 2010 RL. As the RL's features are incorporated into other models, the RL becomes less relevant.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
^^^Yup, too right. Also gets blind spot info system and 6 speed tranny as well as the active suspension set up. How nice would all those features be on an RL? Especially sport mode in a ferro magnetic suspension!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

^^^Yup, too right. Also gets blind spot info system and 6 speed tranny as well as the active suspension set up. How nice would all those features be on an RL? Especially sport mode in a ferro magnetic suspension set up!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Especially sport mode in a ferro magnetic suspension!
The RL's ground clearance is too low. It would get stuck to railroad tracks and suck up manhole covers.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

As been mentioned many times in various threads (and I agree), the MDX is really Acura's flagship vehicle right now. With these options, they make it even better than anything else out there in its class. I personally am really excited to see what this thing has to offer. MDX is one of my favorite cars.

In terms of the RL, "irrelevant" seams inappropriate. The "red headed stepchild" seems more like. My gut tells me the RL isn't long for this line in it's current form. Really looks like the TL is moving into the slot where the RL held firm ground and we will see the next big thing (not the ZDX) compete on the high end. Some sort of super luxury sedan that is really overpriced, but got everything you want. Whether named and RL or not, I for one believe it is coming in the next few years. Of course, my gut has been wrong once or twice before.()
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^

I agree completely! If Acura aim is truly to be consider one of the elite tier 1 automaker, the continuation of the RL is not only essential but must truly be establish as the center piece (flagship) of entire Acura lineup. There is no way in hell that a ZDX (very small segment of crossover vehicle) can take the place of the RL.

I also understand the very "grey" area that Acura has mocked between the now TL SH-AWD / RL models! However, there is no way the TL can compete in the luxury market (7 series/Sclass/LS460 ect.) so either the 3rd generation RL will morph in to a full-size ultra luxury sedan or we are all SOL holding on to a pipe dream.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Safety Car

And remember, Tier 1 was under the old administration. Maybe Tier 1 is no longer a priority in these times when survival is.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:20 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Originally Posted by Chas2
And remember, Tier 1 was under the old administration. Maybe Tier 1 is no longer a priority in these times when survival is.
With the statement today of "No V8 RWD" this is probably spot on Chas. I like to think they are going to redefine the market, but likely won't see any impact from the new regime for a few years. The Honda name has enough credit to gain a following, the question is can they create it for Acura.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I disagree that the MDX is Acura's flagship. It's the TL SH-AWD, which has rendered the current RL irrelevant until the next iteration bows next year.

I don't think it's much of a surprise that the MDX is receiving CMBS/ACC. I think it's a great addition to a great SUV and the only surprise, honestly, is that it didn't happen sooner.

I also think Chas' comment is right on the money.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I disagree that the RL is no longer the flagship. Just because it is in limited availability and not the hot model that dealers gush over does not change it's position in the brand line up.

The purpose of the flagship is to showcase features that trickle down into the product line. If anything, the RL has done that. And if the RL had not done that, how then could the redundancy argument exist? RL technology and ACE engineering has also made it down into the Honda line. From that perspective the RL has be a very successful flagship.

I do not believe in car model cycles that the flagship can always maintain the 'King of the Hill' status. And in the RLs case, being a slow seller in and still require global market configurations, I do not blame Honda for not introducing every new feature in the RL first. It is just not good business sense. We would like to see a next generation sooner, but market focus on premium vehicles has shifted to efficient and purposeful vehicles. And should the be a next gen RL I would expect an entirely new showcase of Honda / Acura technology to be delivered.

If the 6 speed tranny was not outsourced and delayed, I believe it would have been launched with the 09 RL first. But that delay now has is slated for the MDX and ZDX. Would it not have made more sense to introduce the 6speed WITH the 3.7 engine to increase power torque AND efficiency?

Still the RL has the most aggressive planetary gear ratio of any SHAWD model. The aluminum structure is more extensive than any model. Up to 2010, AFS is still RL specific (a 5 year reign), and 4 years for ACC and CMBS to trickle down. The RL NAVI is still more impressive than 90% of the offerings out there....technology from 2003, introduced in 2004. And maybe it was not worth a full upgrade at this model point, but it is the baseline of all Acura and Honda NAVIs at this point.

I think the RL may be a sales volume enigma, but for the Acura line up (and even into the Honda models) is has been an extremely influential model. Is that not what a flagship model should do? If you want to measure success of the RL on sales volume alone...then it should include the sales of Acura and Honda models incorporating the features introduced by the RL.

The former Tier 1 approach was to move all models upmarket and the RL would be galactic in comparison to the current value luxury business model. (I thought this approach was foolhearty). That did push the TL into RL market with overlap. But if Tier 1 approach is indeed dead, it is more likely to drop the RL rather than downmarket the more popular TL. If / when that happens, the flagship designation is up for grabs.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
hopefully acura has stepped up it's game with the ACC/CMBS, on the RL's I test drove, 1.5 seconds was the max distance I could hold with a car, with the 7 I have, It can be 4 seconds of distance to a minimum of 1 second...This would make the CMBS a bit more effective and as well make it better for long trips. Besides that, acura needs to get moving, BMW has had a 6 speed since 2002!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I agree with you, Tampa, as usual, well-stated.

I just wish Acura agreed with you.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csmeance
hopefully acura has stepped up it's game with the ACC/CMBS, on the RL's I test drove, 1.5 seconds was the max distance I could hold with a car, with the 7 I have, It can be 4 seconds of distance to a minimum of 1 second...This would make the CMBS a bit more effective and as well make it better for long trips. Besides that, acura needs to get moving, BMW has had a 6 speed since 2002!
While I do not disagree with you on your other points, I want to point out that the 2006 version of the ACC is user selectable between 2.0, 1.5 and 1.0 second following distances.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I agree with you, Tampa, as usual, well-stated.

I just wish Acura agreed with you.
Agreed, Tampa displays his usual eloquence and insight!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BigKat103
I am sure most of you are aware of this, but saw this thread in the MDX forum as this is the most detail I had seen on the new "Advanced Package". This level will have the CMBS/ACC system on the MDX. (old news, but thought I would bring it up)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736445

Curious what else they are taking from the RL. The spy pics from another thread look like the same rims from the new RL (18" 7 spoke spiders). Wondering if the ventilated seats also make it in there, that would be awesome.

Also sounds like the MDX will be getting the Navi system from the new TL. Makes sense as they MDX is made in Canada (TL made in Ohio, door to door about 6-7 hours). The TL's Navi has a HDD and parking grids on the back-up camera. My '09 RL has the same basic system as the '05-'08 RLs. So no HDD or grids.
This is good news, this something I truely miss when I drive my wife's MDX, too bad Its addition doesnt warrant an update!